daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 13th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #8901
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

According to a local newspaper works for the direct connection of A35 to A4 near Brescia are going to start in two months, with completion date set to January 2017. It will be a semi-junction, only from A35 to Venice and vice-versa.

http://www.bresciaoggi.it/territori/...mesi-1.4713015

In the meantime, BreBeMi and TEEM (A35 and A58) are launching a 15% discount promotion for all Telepass users

http://www.giornaledibrescia.it/bres...pass-1.3057633
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #8902
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
We have very bad news for A3.

ANAS has downgraded its plans for the modernization works of the remaining 58km still not under construction. Instead of re-alignment and widening as seen elsewhere, they will spend € 1,1 billion to "rebuilt-in-place" the infrastructure, without widening of viaducts and/or new tunnels.

Only a short 5-km single-carriageway will be built (with existing lanes becoming 4 northbound lanes).

The government doesn't have the € 3,9 billion it would need to completely rebuild the remaining 58km in a new alignment. € 7,2 billion have already been spent on reconstruction/widening/realignment of A3.

This means these sectors will not have wide shoulders, and likely will be stuck with a 90 km/h speed limit, and some short-ish acceleration lanes on exits.

Since they will spend more than one billion Euro on it, it is unlikely they will spend almost another 4 billion to rebuild as originally planned these sectors anytime within next 20 years.

This is the sweetened pill corporate video of ANAS about the cheap works they'll do

With this new solution, the final count of tunnels on A3 will be 194 (for 124,3km) and the count of bridges 479 (91,2km).

There are also 21km under construction right now, this will remain as planned/financed.

The sectors that will not be reconstructed were not the worst (like the final descent into Villa San Giovanni before the reconstruction, or the cramped and outright dangerous design around Salerno, but the one south of Cosenza is substandard in that the road has too many soft curves and tight tunnels. It was like the section west of Battipaglia before they fixed it in almost a decade ago.

There is a PDF with some slides on the new situation/project and/or a 6MB picture with a map for download

Government is giving Calabria the short hand; first they cancelled the Messina strait bridge, then they severely reduced the scope of SS-106 and now they cancel part of A3 reconstruction altogether, going for half-baked measures. I won't start a political rant on how this government is thinking low on infrastructure, coming up with big plans and then severely paring them down. There needs to be higher transportation infrastructure spending in Italy, with a "go for the best" approach. When they did that, Italy got brand new high-speed train lines, new full-standard autostrade and world-class port facilities, now it is all about half-measures and cheap projects (rail, road, maritime).
Colours on the map means:
green: complete
red: U/C
blue: maintenance of old motorway without new alingment

ANAS webpage about A3 now shows a countdown to the full completition of ongoing works, but it only refers to the U/C red section, as the upgrade of the remaining 3 sections (58km in total) showed in blue, has been cancelled (for the last 10km before Reggio Calabria, it says it will be 'upgraded safety').

But Matteo Renzi will finally be able to say that A3 will be completed during its office, that's the most important thing.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; March 13th, 2016 at 03:42 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #8903
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
According to a local newspaper works for the direct connection of A35 to A4 near Brescia are going to start in two months, with completion date set to January 2017. It will be a semi-junction, only from A35 to Venice and vice-versa.

http://www.bresciaoggi.it/territori/...mesi-1.4713015

In the meantime, BreBeMi and TEEM (A35 and A58) are launching a 15% discount promotion for all Telepass users

http://www.giornaledibrescia.it/bres...pass-1.3057633
A35: Brescia-West (A4) - Travagliato-West 5.6km (May 2016 to 31th January 2017) [2nd c/w] - project - map
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

MichiH liked this post
Old March 13th, 2016, 04:20 PM   #8904
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Has the 1st carriageway been opened together with the whole A35 up to Milano or is it an old stretch?

Where is the exact end of the section opened in July 2014? I think it's less than 62km...

A35: Melzo (A58) – Brescia 62km (Summer 2009 to 23rd July 2014) – projectmap

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2016, 04:39 PM   #8905
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Has the 1st carriageway been opened together with the whole A35 up to Milano or is it an old stretch?

Where is the exact end of the section opened in July 2014? I think it's less than 62km...

A35: Melzo (A58) – Brescia 62km (Summer 2009 to 23rd July 2014) – projectmap
The 1st c/w has been opened together with the whole A35, already with the space reserved and overpasses wide enough for a future 2nd c/w (for this reason upgrade of this section will be very fast).
The 3x2 section opened in 2014 is actually 49.8km long, from junction with SP19 west of Brescia to junction with A58 east of Milan.
The 62.1km figure reported in most media is probably comprehensive of the 1+1 section between SP19 and Brescia and the lenght of all ramps of local junctions.
Old March 13th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #8906
MichiH

Thanks. I'll modify my overview to:

A35: Melzo (A58) – Travagliato-West (SP19) 49.8km (Summer 2009 to 23rd July 2014) – projectmap
A35: Travagliato-West (SP19) – east of Brescia-West (A4) 6km (Summer 2009 to 23rd July 2014) [1st c/w; w/o A4 i/c] – projectmap
A35: Travagliato-West (SP19) – east of Brescia-West (A4) 5.6km (May 2016 to January 2017) [2nd c/w] – projectmap

There seems to be another "Travagliato-West" interchange east of SP19 though .

I'll ignore that there's a short section with 2 c/w at the eastern end opened in 2014 because it's really very short.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Luki_SL liked this post
Old March 13th, 2016, 09:28 PM   #8907
mistikos

Likes (Received): 3063

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Colours on the map means:
green: complete
red: U/C
blue: maintenance of old motorway without new alingment

ANAS webpage about A3 now shows a countdown to the full completition of ongoing works, but it only refers to the U/C red section, as the upgrade of the remaining 3 sections (58km in total) showed in blue, has been cancelled (for the last 10km before Reggio Calabria, it says it will be 'upgraded safety').

But Matteo Renzi will finally be able to say that A3 will be completed during its office, that's the most important thing.
I'm shocked...

Matteo Renzi doesn't know that at the moment A3 is the most important road on the southern Italy!

During the stretch Rogliano-Altilia there's the Stupino viaduct, that in the north carriageway was subject of the structural failure of a joint...
"Nessuno nasce odiando i propri simili a causa della razza, della religione e della classe alla quale appartengono. Gli uomini imparano ad odiare e, se possono imparare ad odiare, possono anche imparare ad amare perché l'amore, per il cuore umano, è più naturale dell'odio."
-Nelson Mandela

Il mio blog
Il mio canale youtube

stabia liked this post
mistikos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2016, 01:51 PM   #8908
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Thanks. I'll modify my overview to:

A35: Melzo (A58) – Travagliato-West (SP19) 49.8km (Summer 2009 to 23rd July 2014) – projectmap
A35: Travagliato-West (SP19) – east of Brescia-West (A4) 6km (Summer 2009 to 23rd July 2014) [1st c/w; w/o A4 i/c] – projectmap
A35: Travagliato-West (SP19) – east of Brescia-West (A4) 5.6km (May 2016 to January 2017) [2nd c/w] – projectmap

There seems to be another "Travagliato-West" interchange east of SP19 though .
The only "Travagliato West junction is east of SP19. The first interchange west of SP19 is called "Rovato".

Quote:
I'll ignore that there's a short section with 2 c/w at the eastern end opened in 2014 because it's really very short.
Is there? I don't remember it.
Old March 14th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #8909
MichiH

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ro...37e70bc0a3abd5

Two carriageways but 1 lane per c/w only .

g.spinoza liked this post
Old March 15th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #8910
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

According to this article, the first 6 km of Pedemontana Veneta (Montecchio - Breganze) should open at the end of 2016, not in mid 2016 as previously stated:

http://mattinopadova.gelocal.it/regi...rzo-1.13126935

Other 40 km (Breganze - Montebelluna) should open at the end of 2017.
Old March 15th, 2016, 06:15 PM   #8911
Insulateshipper

Likes (Received): 493

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
According to this article, the first 6 km of Pedemontana Veneta (Montecchio - Breganze) should open at the end of 2016, not in mid 2016 as previously stated:

http://mattinopadova.gelocal.it/regi...rzo-1.13126935

Other 40 km (Breganze - Montebelluna) should open at the end of 2017.
You mean first 60 km of Pedemontana Veneta (Montecchio - Breganze) not 6km, right? it's what I calculate with a navigator...
Insulateshipper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 06:34 PM   #8912
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insulateshipper View Post
You mean first 60 km of Pedemontana Veneta (Montecchio - Breganze) not 6km, right? it's what I calculate with a navigator...
Apologies, I misquoted.
Still first 6 km, but from junction with A31 (not A4) to Breganze...
Old March 16th, 2016, 01:09 PM   #8913
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
It's from A31 (Thiene) to Breganze, 6 km;
The stretches between A4 and A31 will be the last to be connected in Vicenza province (2 stretches in 2018, 1 in 2020 because of long tunnels: one of 6 km long)

Been in: A, BiH, CH, CZ, D, E, ET, F, GR, H, HR, I, RSM, SLO, UK, V, VEC
Drove in : I, HR, SLO, VEC
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #8914
italystf

Quote:
Montecchio is Montecchio Maggiore, on A4 west of Vicenza. Not to be confused with Montecchio Precalcino, that is near Thiene (future A31-SPV junction).

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Old March 16th, 2016, 02:56 PM   #8915
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
We have very bad news for A3.

ANAS has downgraded its plans for the modernization works of the remaining 58km still not under construction. Instead of re-alignment and widening as seen elsewhere, they will spend € 1,1 billion to "rebuilt-in-place" the infrastructure, without widening of viaducts and/or new tunnels.
They were to build some new/proper junctions along the A3 too. Has that plan been abandoned as well?

The old A3 was a not super strada. 90kph limits are about right given how crap the roads is.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #8916
mistikos

Likes (Received): 3063

A3 wasn't a real motorway, because it didn't have got the hard shoulder...

Thanks to our government!
"Nessuno nasce odiando i propri simili a causa della razza, della religione e della classe alla quale appartengono. Gli uomini imparano ad odiare e, se possono imparare ad odiare, possono anche imparare ad amare perché l'amore, per il cuore umano, è più naturale dell'odio."
-Nelson Mandela

Il mio blog
Il mio canale youtube
mistikos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 05:17 PM   #8917
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Montecchio is Montecchio Maggiore, on A4 west of Vicenza. Not to be confused with Montecchio Precalcino, that is near Thiene (future A31-SPV junction).
Esactly!
Montecchio Precalcino, until first decade of 20th Century aka Montecchio Minore

Been in: A, BiH, CH, CZ, D, E, ET, F, GR, H, HR, I, RSM, SLO, UK, V, VEC
Drove in : I, HR, SLO, VEC
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #8918
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 2205

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistikos View Post

Well from what I can see 40km of it will never have a hard shoulder because Renzi has abandoned the A3 upgrade now.

Less than a year ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10261986.html

Quote:
This week, however, the Prime Minister, Matteo Renzi, who’s on something of a roll in his mission to modernise Italy, after pushing electoral reform through parliament, struck an upbeat note. “We will finish the Salerno-Reggio Calabria,” he told Rai 1 television. “By the end of 2015 all the sites will begin a final speeding up of work and next year at the latest, it will be finished.” Around 3,000 workers are said to be grafting night and day, seven days a week to speed its completion.

But some felt that Mr Renzi had struck an inappropriately triumphal tone, given that 50 years after construction began, the completion day was still uncertain.

And even if it’s “finished” next year or the year after, it is likely that 43km of the autostrada will lack the emergency lane it is supposed to have.
Only in Italy can this steaming turd be called a 'motorway' .
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 12:28 AM   #8919
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Well from what I can see 40km of it will never have a hard shoulder because Renzi has abandoned the A3 upgrade now.

Less than a year ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-10261986.html

Only in Italy can this steaming turd be called a 'motorway' .
Actually 68 km in 4 different stretches.

BTW, the article is wrong. A3 construction didn't lasted 50 years. It was built in 1964-72 and upgraded in 2003-present.

In the 1960s-70s any 2x2 grade-separated road was a motorway. Now standards are more strict, although old substandard motorways have never been downgraded to expressway status.

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Old March 17th, 2016, 12:31 AM   #8920
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistikos View Post

Apart the lack of hard shoulders, also steep gradients and small curvature radii were a problem.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways