daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #881
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3841

And let me add another thing: there are virtually now no lines unless there is an accident on that road. People drive calmly because the "tutor" is on and above 130km/h you receive authomatically a fine and because...they were used before the 4 lanes to drive at maximum 80km/h on one of the most congested road of europe
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #882
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Distinctive pine trees between Padova and Mestre on A4:
I always wanted to stop in that SOS lane to take picture of that tree, never have accomplished my target , hopefully I will do it this year!
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #883
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
because the "tutor" is on
Which sections have it?
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #884
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Which sections have it?
all?
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #885
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Tutor (google translate)
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #886
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
I have never been on a better highway anywhere in the world Slovenia included, with its brand new highways
We don't have any 8-lane highway. But saying it's the best highway in the world is far-fetched.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #887
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Most people drive in accordance to 130 km/h limit, but about 10-15% drivers drives faster. I drove with cruise control exactly 130 km/h - GPS confirmed - and wasn't quite the fastest one. There are quite a lot of people, who drive even 160 and more (especially in expensive sport cars). Looks like, that Tutor is not very effective.

And I repeat, as impressive as Milano-Bergamo section looks with all the new overpasses and sound barriers with height of 10 m and more, asphalt on some parts is very bumpy (long bumps, not short) and even has potholes. A4 further from Bergamo has surely much better asphalt, even if it is not new.

Last edited by keber; January 19th, 2009 at 08:37 PM.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #888
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Most people drive in accordance to 130 km/h limit, but about 10-15% drivers drives faster. I drove with cruise control exactly 130 km/h - GPS confirmed - and wasn't quite the fastest one. There are quite a lot of people, who drive even 160 and more (especially in expensive sport cars). Looks like, that Tutor is not very effective.

And I repeat, as impressive as Milano-Bergamo section looks with all the new overpasses and sound barriers with height of 10 m and more, asphalt on some parts is very bumpy (long bumps, not short) and even has potholes. A4 further from Bergamo has surely much better asphalt, even if it is not new.
Mah, I respect your opinion but I cannot agree on the asphalt. I do not know with all honesty what you are talking about...That piece of highway is so smooth you don't even notice you are driving. Other parts of italian highway are not so good but that one...I don't know, maybe the heavy snow and rain of the last weeks ruined some parts, I cannot explain.

About Tutor...actually it gives you fines above 140 km/h on average between 2 exits. So you may drive faster than 140 but you have to slow down before the next exit. It's on between Milan and Bergamo and it is indeed very effective in limiting average speed. Freeks driving at 200 km/h were not so rare before it was installed, now they are disappearing.

Besides before you said people were driving too slowly...now they were driving too fast...
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #889
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
We don't have any 8-lane highway. But saying it's the best highway in the world is far-fetched.
I didn't say it's the largest (even though for europe is pretty big) I said it' the best: it's sexy with its huge side protections, straight like an arrow...massive. I have been around heavily in Germany, Holland, France, Spain, the US, Japan and many more countries with excellent highways and never found a piece better than the Milano-Bergamo. I am sure it exists somewhere but I have yet to find it.
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #890
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
i really thought it was instaled on much more sections
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #891
keber

It is "advertised" on whole A4 between Mestre and Milano.

What about renovating remaining sections of A4 between Torino and Milano? Some part are in horrible condition.
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #892
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
It is "advertised" on whole A4 between Mestre and Milano.

What about renovating remaining sections of A4 between Torino and Milano? Some part are in horrible condition.
Between Turin and Novara works are almost finished and again, the highway is a great looking 8 lanes (6+2) highway with AV line besides and tons of imposing bridges.

Between Novara and Milan they are still building the TAV line...connected to TAV line they already remade all bridges in order to accomodate 10 lanes (8+2), works for upgrading this piece will start when the works on TAV line and the other section of the highway will be finished. Today it is 6 lanes most of the times without the emergency lane, I think you referred to that. I wouldn't call it horrible but it needs renovation for sure. It's true though that during construction of the Turin-Novara section that part was very slow and painful to drive on, but ehi men...those were constructions
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #893
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i really thought it was instaled on much more sections
They keep increasing every year...now there are plans to install it also on some dangerous "superstrade", starting with the Aurelia (the superstrada running along the tyrrenian sea between Livorno and Roma). The system was developed by Autostrade and applied on some section of A4 between Bergamo and Padova which are actually not managed by Atlantia (autostrade italiane)
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #894
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Last post: if you like highways you cannot miss A1 between Milano and Bologna: the AV line now open (!) runs besides it for most of the 200 km route, it's 3 lanes with many exit renovated between Milan and Modena and 4 lanes between Modena and Bologna. In Bologna they finished renovation of the hurban stretch. Now there are 2+1 lanes of tangenziale+6 lanes of pass through+2+1 lanes of tangenziale. Total 12 lanes
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #895
keber

Quote:
In Bologna they finished renovation of the hurban stretch. Now there are 2+1 lanes of tangenziale+6 lanes of pass through+2+1 lanes of tangenziale. Total 12 lanes
Is there any less jams than before? As I understand they just converted both emergency lanes of central motorway into dynamical lanes.
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:28 AM   #896
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Is there any less jams than before? As I understand they just converted both emergency lanes of central motorway into dynamical lanes.
True, but it lead to a renovation of the bypass which is now in much better shape and with new exits. And yes, situation is now much better on the bypass but remains very critic on the tangenziale. You may still stumble on long lines but these have reduced drastically compared to a few years ago.
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #897
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11131

Quick update of Salerno-Reggio Calabria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiuWay View Post
Scatti volanti dal Macrolotto 2 [dal Km.108+000 al Km 139+000 (Viadotto Calore - Svincolo Lauria Nord)]

Old January 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #898
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Does the "TUTOR" system allows some tolerance over the limit(like 15 over)?
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #899
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
Quick update of Salerno-Reggio Calabria
Jugding from last picture it looks like they are widening some of old tunnels.
I hope to see progress done personally this summer. Any new updates from last part (probably the most difficult one) before Reggio di Calabria?
Old January 26th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #900
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11131

Little update on Mestre bypass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo2k View Post
Ecco alcune foto fresche fresche della galleria di Vetrego lato nord della ferrovia, scattate sabato mattina (25-01-2008).

Imbocco nord della galleria:

Passante visto dalla galleria guardando verso nord, quindi in direzione Mirano:

Purtroppo ero sprovvisto di fotocamera, quindi mi son dovuto arrangiare col cellulare...perdonate la qualitÓ penosa delle foto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf9 View Post
Foto sul gazzettino di oggi, risalente ancora al viaggio "inaugurale" di dicembre.

Si vede l'uscita per la barriera di Venezia nord (e l'A27), che per˛ non sarÓ pronta per l'8 febbraio.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways