daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 27th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #9161
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7153

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I'm currently on Sicily on vacation and I hope my car will come home in one piece. I can handle with roadside vegetation, almost non existent road markings, confusing signs and dark tunnels (even new ones). But I can't forgive such idiotic expansion joints on some viaducts which can almost break suspension even on some newer parts of A3.
They complain about lack on infrastructure but the main issue is proper marking and mantenaince. I always have the worst driving experiences in sicily (apart from city driving in rome and naples).
P.s. you're crazy, you should have taken a flight and then a car for rent.
P.p.s. how did you find the variante di valico?

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #9162
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Cost of flight for two and renting a car for two weeks is comparable to having my own car here especially if we want to see more Italy. I like driving. And it is not that far either, Ljubljana to Tropea, Calabria, almost 1400 km in 15 hours in summer Saturday with stoppings at 2 hours of driving at most.

I will take Variante Di valico on my way back, old autostrada is now really panoramical with much less traffic than before. I'm worried about the new A3 though. New alignment is nice, but quality is very bad. Pavement is often uneven, and many sections that are more than 6 or 7 years old, would need new pavement right now. Tunnels are lit good or not at all and that only in few kilometres. It looks like there is no uniform standard for constructing tunnels on A3 and no maintenance at all. I'm afraid that lack of maintenance and bad construction quality will make this motorway needed for reconstruction even sooner than original motorway.

The worst was however short section of A16dir (is it?) between A30 end and A3 before Salerno. Two of expansion joints were felt like side curbs with numerous potholes and I hope I didn't damage my car too much. That motorway should be closed for repavement at once. The same is for A18 on last section before Rosolini. Something that bumpy should not be opened to traffic at all even with 80 km/h speed limit that is currently on both sections and is disgrace for ANAS.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 03:15 PM   #9163
brick84

A3 Napoli-Reggio Calabria

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #9164
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2114

A Romanian truck driver doing a U-turn on A15 near Pontremoli:

from the Youtube channel of Italian Polizia.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 07:25 PM   #9165
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

He got a € 8,000 fine, his license was revoked and the truck was impounded for 3 months, according to the description of the video.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Autobahn-mann liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #9166
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Cost of flight for two and renting a car for two weeks is comparable to having my own car here especially if we want to see more Italy. I like driving. And it is not that far either, Ljubljana to Tropea, Calabria, almost 1400 km in 15 hours in summer Saturday with stoppings at 2 hours of driving at most.

I will take Variante Di valico on my way back, old autostrada is now really panoramical with much less traffic than before. I'm worried about the new A3 though. New alignment is nice, but quality is very bad. Pavement is often uneven, and many sections that are more than 6 or 7 years old, would need new pavement right now. Tunnels are lit good or not at all and that only in few kilometres. It looks like there is no uniform standard for constructing tunnels on A3 and no maintenance at all. I'm afraid that lack of maintenance and bad construction quality will make this motorway needed for reconstruction even sooner than original motorway.

The worst was however short section of A16dir (is it?) between A30 end and A3 before Salerno. Two of expansion joints were felt like side curbs with numerous potholes and I hope I didn't damage my car too much. That motorway should be closed for repavement at once. The same is for A18 on last section before Rosolini. Something that bumpy should not be opened to traffic at all even with 80 km/h speed limit that is currently on both sections and is disgrace for ANAS.
That's all very sad. One thing is very old motorways starting showing some issues, another thing are new motorways built with such a cr*p to save money.
A18 near Rosolini opened in 2008, not 1970, and it's already in a terrible shape.
Same with A20, the last section that opened in 2004 started showing some problems only 7-8 years later.
Also some parts of the new A3 have been poorly built.
That means that probably those areas will never have good infrastructures, since the new ones deteriorate quickly because they have been badly built.
Companies who build such cr*p should be made legally responsible to pay for all damages and being banned forever from public contracts.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 09:52 PM   #9167
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
A Romanian truck driver doing a U-turn on A15 near Pontremoli:
from the Youtube channel of Italian Polizia.
When I read the title I expected a truck going wrong way... still very dangerous and illegal, of course.
Fortunately, there are few breaks on medians of Italian motorways (they are used by roadworks vehicles in exceptional situations). There were much more around 10 years ago, but most have been closed due to safety issues.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old July 27th, 2016, 11:12 PM   #9168
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

What do these professional drivers think, seriously, before doing these stupid and extremely dangerous maneuvering?

They drive for a living, so not like someone who is unfamiliar with highway traffic.

What it wrong driving to the next exit? Are they so cash-strapped or time-constrained they can't afford to drive some 10-20km extra?
Old July 28th, 2016, 12:26 AM   #9169
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
I'm worried about the new A3 though. New alignment is nice, but quality is very bad. Pavement is often uneven, and many sections that are more than 6 or 7 years old, would need new pavement right now. Tunnels are lit good or not at all and that only in few kilometres. It looks like there is no uniform standard for constructing tunnels on A3 and no maintenance at all. I'm afraid that lack of maintenance and bad construction quality will make this motorway needed for reconstruction even sooner than original motorway.

That's sad to hear and a big difference from the North part of the country. Two months ago we drove from Basel to Florence (via Verona and Bologna) and the quality of roads was really the last thing to complain about.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 12:40 AM   #9170
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
That's sad to hear and a big difference from the North part of the country. Two months ago we drove from Basel to Florence (via Verona and Bologna) and the quality of roads was really the last thing to complain about.
The difference is not geographic, but instead whether a road is operated under private concession/administration, or not.

This is my personal guess on the issue of A3: after they finish the major works on work segment 3.a (where Janello and Italia viaducts are), they will start talking of a toll-concession on A3 as a way to finance a better solution than the "in-site improvement" plans for the remaining 50 or so km that are on their original 2x2 narrow 80-90 km/h alignment. And it will be sold as a way to properly complete the project.
Old July 28th, 2016, 07:38 AM   #9171
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

A18 before Rosolini hasn't got its final layer of asphalt yet. Who knows what they are waiting for.

Motorway until end of A30 is in good or excellent shape. After toll booth north of Salerno that changes like day or night.

Concession autostradas in Sicily have better pavement than those from ANAS and expansion joints are mostly better than on new A3, but they lack painting which makes driving in the night more "adventurous", and they desperately need to cut vegetation at least around signage and change light bulbs and fuses in tunnels. It is worrying also that many tunnels, even new (like south of Catania) have fully functional lightning, but because some fuses went out half of the longest tunnel sits in complete darkness. That fuse or controller would be changed immediately elsewhere in Europe but apparently not here. I'm really wondering if ANAS cares for traffic safety at all.

brick84 liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 02:06 PM   #9172
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

South side of project Quadrilatero is finally complete.

Today, Prime Minister Renzi officially opened two stretches of SS 77: Foligno–Colfiorito (19 km), and Bavareto–Pontelatrave (8 km). Colfiorito-Bavareto was already opened at the beginning of 2015.

A stretch of SS 318 (north side of Quadrilatero) was opened too: Valfabbrica – Pianello 8.5 km. Not all this stretch is two-carriageway, though.
Old July 28th, 2016, 03:36 PM   #9173
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Some pictures from the Italian thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTER88 View Post
SS 318 Galleria Fotografica:

]

]

Old July 28th, 2016, 03:40 PM   #9174
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

SS 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTER88 View Post
SS 77 Galleria Fotografica:

Old July 28th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #9175
brick84

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
That's all very sad. One thing is very old motorways starting showing some issues, another thing are new motorways built with such a cr*p to save money.
A18 near Rosolini opened in 2008, not 1970, and it's already in a terrible shape.
Same with A20, the last section that opened in 2004 started showing some problems only 7-8 years later.
Also some parts of the new A3 have been poorly built.
That means that probably those areas will never have good infrastructures, since the new ones deteriorate quickly because they have been badly built.
Companies who build such cr*p should be made legally responsible to pay for all damages and being banned forever from public contracts.
Always speak bad about the same problems on the sames highways,
but maybe you forget the upgrade works of the last years.

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte

Last edited by brick84; July 28th, 2016 at 04:54 PM.
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 06:11 PM   #9176
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17478

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
SS 77
These photos look like a visualisation, not real road

g.spinoza, Verso liked this post
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #9177
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
A18 before Rosolini hasn't got its final layer of asphalt yet. Who knows what they are waiting for.

Motorway until end of A30 is in good or excellent shape. After toll booth north of Salerno that changes like day or night.

Concession autostradas in Sicily have better pavement than those from ANAS and expansion joints are mostly better than on new A3, but they lack painting which makes driving in the night more "adventurous", and they desperately need to cut vegetation at least around signage and change light bulbs and fuses in tunnels. It is worrying also that many tunnels, even new (like south of Catania) have fully functional lightning, but because some fuses went out half of the longest tunnel sits in complete darkness. That fuse or controller would be changed immediately elsewhere in Europe but apparently not here. I'm really wondering if ANAS cares for traffic safety at all.
It's not fuse problems as much as the epidemic of copper wire theft
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #9178
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
That fuse or controller would be changed immediately elsewhere in Europe but apparently not here.
Well, Sicily lies on the African tectonic plate, so it has an excuse.

Sentilj liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #9179
Suburbanist
on the road

A video with some aerial shots of Viadotto Italia

italystf, mistikos liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #9180
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick84 View Post
Always speak bad about the same problems on the sames highways,
but maybe you forget the upgrade works of the last years.
The problem is that also some recent works are affected by problems.
We need to wait several years to see whether new constructions are good or not. And of course even good works deteriorate rapidly without proper maintenance.
Another problem is the central government, that scrapped plans for important highways like A3 and SS106.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways