daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #9241
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

In this page you can find a very interesting video captured by CCTV on A24 motorway, regarding the earthquake of Central Italy.
It is particulary disturbing at 0.30, when you can see a viaduct oscillating due to the quake.

http://www.stradadeiparchi.it/terrem...-della-scossa/
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:40 PM   #9242
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In this page you can find a very interesting video captured by CCTV on A24 motorway, regarding the earthquake of Central Italy.
It is particulary disturbing at 0.30, when you can see a viaduct oscillating due to the quake.

http://www.stradadeiparchi.it/terrem...-della-scossa/
Well, it did its job, A24 and A25 have not been damaged thankfully. If it were rigid, it would have collapsed. Yet, I reckon it is strange to see these big structures moving around.

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #9243
brick84

S.S. 640 Agrigento-Caltanissetta (Sicily)

Update works of first lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_14 View Post

Ottimo reportage, mi hai battuto sul tempo. Anch'io ho fatto qualche foto la scorsa settimana, spero non ci siano molte ripetizioni con le foto qui sopra.

Galleria Cozzo Garlatti (presso svincolo SS 626)

Questi dovrebbero essere il viadotto Busita 2 e la galleria Bersaglio

Pile del viadotto Favarella e sistemazione viabilità secondaria

Viadotto Fosso Mumia verso la galleria San Cataldo

E verso la galleria Papazzo

Svincolo Caltanissetta Nord (attuale Xirbi)

Alcuni scatti sul nuovo tracciato:

Sembra ci sia davvero tanto spazio dato al margine interno, a occhiometro almeno 7 m...

Di nuovo galleria Cozzo Garlatti

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte

Luki_SL, arctic_carlos, mistikos liked this post
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 07:05 PM   #9244
mistikos

Likes (Received): 3062

SS18 from Campora to Falerna Marina, video taken by me on Sunday 14th August:

"Nessuno nasce odiando i propri simili a causa della razza, della religione e della classe alla quale appartengono. Gli uomini imparano ad odiare e, se possono imparare ad odiare, possono anche imparare ad amare perché l'amore, per il cuore umano, è più naturale dell'odio."
-Nelson Mandela

Il mio blog
Il mio canale youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
mistikos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 11:20 PM   #9245
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Well, it did its job, A24 and A25 have not been damaged thankfully. If it were rigid, it would have collapsed. Yet, I reckon it is strange to see these big structures moving around.
interesting, the closest point of any motorways to the epicentre was Gran Sasso tunnel
Old September 1st, 2016, 11:38 AM   #9246
Suburbanist
on the road

Deep tunnels are probably among the safest structures in an earthquake.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:14 AM   #9247
Autobahn-mann

Likes (Received): 187

Really?

Been in: A, BiH, CH, CZ, D, E, ET, F, GR, H, HR, I, RSM, SLO, UK, V, VEC
Drove in : I, HR, SLO, VEC
Autobahn-mann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:37 AM   #9248
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

[I] Italy | road infrastructure • strade e autostrade

Well, either they are drilled in solid rock or reinforced buy concrete and thousands if steel pins. Unless a mountain splits and shifts....
Old September 2nd, 2016, 12:43 PM   #9249
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn-mann View Post
Really?
Yes. Deep tunnels have to bear all the load of surrounding environment as a matter of design. This surrounding environment has achieved some stability through their own geological processes. Unless there is a really catastrophic failure of the land mass, a tunnel will withstand, maybe with some minor cracks on lining or other attached elements like lighting, fans etc.

Compare this to bridges or viaducts, which have massive weight borne by a few contact points carefully calculated to spread the load, or with simple non-reinforced buildings that rely on the load elements standing still...

Shallow tunnels are a bit more risky, but less yet than any above-ground infrastructure.

A good example of that is, for instance, how little damage earthquakes to do subway systems in general and how they are often put back in place as soon as inspections are carried through (or, if not, how lack of electricity or inaccessibility of the surface areas being the reason, not tunnel collapses).

Source
Quote:
Experience shows that underground structures, especially deep ones, are far less vulnerable to earthquakes than superficial ones. The latter are endangered by earthquakes due to the fact that the motion of the ground can be amplified by the response of the structure to such an extent that the induced strains damage the structure. The earthquake waves can also be amplified within soft superficial strata. In addition, loose water-saturated soil may loose its strength (so-called liquefaction), and this can lead to landslides or failure of foundations and retaining walls. In contrast, deep buried structures, especially flexible ones, are not expected to oscillate independently of the surrounding ground, i.e. amplification of the ground motion can be excluded. This is manifested by the relatively low earthquake damage of tunnels.1 Of course, the portals may be damaged by earthquake-induced landslides. Very revealing on earthquake effects is the report of what happened to the driving of a 7 m diameter tunnel in the underground of Los Angeles during the San Fernando M 6.7 earthquake in 1971:

‘The earthquake caused an outage of electrical power that caused the tunnel pumps to stop. Amid the attendant confusion and anxiety, the miners made their way to the locomotive and drove 5 miles out of the tunnel in pitch darkness. This means that the rails were not significantly distorted to cause a derailment. However, Southern Pacific Railroad tracks on the surface were distorted and broken.
Put another way... the researchers working at the Gran Sasso underground lab* are pretty safe.

----------------
*for those who don't know it, there is a massive underground physics research facility under the Gran Sasso massif, more than 1500m below surface, accessible directly through the A-24 Gran Sasso tunnel near L'Aquila. They use the rock sheet as natural insulation against pesky cosmic rays that affect certain types of research.

Autobahn-mann liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; September 2nd, 2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:27 PM   #9250
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
*for those who don't know it, there is a massive underground physics research facility under the Gran Sasso massif, more than 1500m below surface, accessible directly through the A-24 Gran Sasso tunnel near L'Aquila. They use the rock sheet as natural insulation against pesky cosmic rays that affect certain types of research.
Do you have Spanish origins?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Attus liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 05:40 PM   #9251
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I was reading stuff on Wikipedia about the SS7 "Via Appia" connecting Rome with Brindisi.
The section throgh Basilicata was handed over from the State to the provinces, so in the Province of Potenza is numbered SP EX SS7 and in the Province of Matera SP1 (with km numbering starting from 0 at the provincial border). This leave the first and the last sections numbered as SS7, but with something else in the middle.
Moreover, SS7 has different local branches numbered:
SS7 dir A
SS7 dir A
SS7 dir/B
SS7 dir/B
SS7 dir C
SS7 racc
SS7 racc bis
SS7 racc ter
SS7 racc/A
SS7 bis
SS7 bis dir
SS7 ter
SS7 qtr
SS7 qtr dir
SS7 var
SS7 var/A
SS7 var/B

You don't love this extremely clear and self-intuitive numbering scheme?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Luki_SL, Autobahn-mann liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 06:10 PM   #9252
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

For us Spaniards it's a relief to know that someone can do worse.

arctic_carlos, Luki_SL, Highway89 liked this post
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2016, 11:06 PM   #9253
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

I read both SS7 dir/A and SS7 dir/B have been recycled, as the former was a branch to Ciampino airport until 2002 and the latter was a branch from Formia to Gaeta until 1982. Both are now in use again since 2011 near Terracina. But the best one is not part of the Appian Way system, that honor belongs to SS3 bis .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 07:32 PM   #9254
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

SS729: west of Olbia-South (SS131DCN) – Olbia-Airport 2.5km (June 2012 to Mid 2016?) – projectmap

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
According to the news article from late July, the section should finally be opened in September (according to the contract with a new contractor).

Altri quattro chilometri per la Sassari-Olbia (24th August)

According to this article, construction works on lot 9 must be resumed in August or the (new) contractor will be replaced. But the commissioner says that the entire expressway will be finished by 2018 and "lot 9 will be finished within a few months"...

I guess "Fall 2016" should be the most reliable estimated opening date. Of course, I'm prepared for the next delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
23 June 2016

The westernmost and easternmost sections of SS597 (future Sassari - Olbia expressway, replacing the existing 1+1 road), open today in northern Sardinia, Italy:
* Codrongianus (SS131) - Orzieri - 11.8 km
* Monti - Olbia (SS131DCN) - 15.5 km
According to the previous news article, it seems that the sections (lot 0+1 and lot 7+8) have been opened partially only. They are fully opened since late August. I'll ignore the inaccuracy for my list though...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 08:11 PM   #9255
Suburbanist
on the road

Italy is the perfect example of how trying to mix up engineering standards and network hierarchy with administrative jurisdiction is a really bad idea.

italystf liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2016, 09:48 PM   #9256
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
SR8: Talsano-North – Pulsano-East 11km (August 2014 to August 2016) – ? – map
I tried to find some info how much the completion of the expressway-like road is delayed. I think this article from early August is about the project and reports that works are delayed and the construction company risks to be fired.

If I got it right, the road might be opened in 2017 at the earliest?

Can anyone confirm or does anyone has more accurate info?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 11:37 PM   #9257
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1883

Quote:
Italy is the perfect example of how trying to mix up engineering standards and network hierarchy with administrative jurisdiction is a really bad idea.

That's not true. Jurisdiction has nothing to do with hierarchy of the roads.
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2016, 11:53 PM   #9258
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pccvspw999 View Post
That's not true. Jurisdiction has nothing to do with hierarchy of the roads.
Of course it doesn't, which is why road numbering should not be restricted to jurisdiction (which is how road numbering in Italy got crazy)
Old September 4th, 2016, 12:10 AM   #9259
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1883

[I] Italy | road infrastructure • strade e autostrade

Numbering got crazy because there is no rule how to make it, but numbering is necessary to adminstrative purposes.
A certain number of national roads were dismissed from SS-numbering, because no more of national interest, and no longer mantained by the state through ANAS. But provinces and regions didn't change tha number completely, keeping a sort of "reminiscence" of what it was. (p.e. "SP ex (formerly known as) SS7")
But these roads are still main roads, with "right of way".
Hierarchy is only given by the signage, not by the numbering.

The example of italystf of former SS7, is because SS7 doesn't esist anymore, and well did the province of Matera to number it SP1.

A numbering method, like in Germany, would have been useful, but every administration has his own book of roads, with his own protocol and numbering.

But all of this stuff has nothing to share with how the roads have to build, and their standards.

Last edited by pccvspw999; September 4th, 2016 at 12:22 AM.
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 12:33 AM   #9260
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

I've looked at the crazy Strade Statali numbering, and I found some superlatives:
Numbers are assigned in sequential number and never recycled. As of today, the highest number is SS 741 Galluzzo bypass, a half-kilometer long road in Tuscany created last year with seven other roads.
The highest number which has a branch is the SS 727 Forli tangential and its child SS 727 bis, which is actually sightly longer. Same happens with SS 336 and SS 336 dir. SS 3 bis is actually shorter than the historical extent of SS 3.
SS 108 was downgraded with many other roads in 2001, but SS 108 bis survives to this day. SS 591 dir is better, as it was created last year, 14 years after SS 591 was dropped.
And the suffix champion is the 0,7 km long Catanzaro hospital road, created in 2014 with the number SS 109 bis dir A. That deserves a...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways