daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2017, 04:58 PM   #9501
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

They do not know yet. The drivers were not tired according to survivals and it seemed that the bus was ok.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:38 AM   #9502
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Moved from Lithuania-thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Feel free to answer this on the Italian thread, of course, but that whole stretch on the A6 between Savona and Mollere is kinda crazy, where the two carriageways have what appears to be little more than a passing relationship with one another for many miles. How did that come to be?
One carriage road, the one with shorter bridges and shorter tunnels, was built first. It was then a 1+1. Later, and with construction technology having been advanced, the another carriage road was built. That time technology allowed longer bridges and longer tunnels, and it came to be profitable to build it in a different alignment altogether.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:32 AM   #9503
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
Moved from Lithuania-thread.

One carriage road, the one with shorter bridges and shorter tunnels, was built first. It was then a 1+1. Later, and with construction technology having been advanced, the another carriage road was built. That time technology allowed longer bridges and longer tunnels, and it came to be profitable to build it in a different alignment altogether.
Not exactly. The first carriageway was three-laned but two-way. Each direction had its own lane and the central lane was for overtaking. Needless to say, this was extremely dangerous and many grave accidents occurred during the years, so much that judges closed down the most dangerous stretch. It reopened only when the central lane was deleted (only by painting over it, so it wasn't really effective). During the 90s the second carriageway was built: there wasn't space near the old one, so a different route was chosen, more direct. The older carriageway was dedicated northbound southbound, the new one runs southbound northbound.

Last edited by g.spinoza; February 2nd, 2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: corrected error
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:37 AM   #9504
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3834

Also A7 has a similar story, all though the old southbound stretch was built as a camion-dedicated strada statale in the 30' and then converted in motorway. It is horrendous and in my opinion deserves an urgent upgrade, not even planned
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 11:26 AM   #9505
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
The older carriageway was dedicated northbound, the new one runs southbound.
It doesn't sem to be the case for the whole road, though. In this section the more winding one with the loop is southbound rather than northbound.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 01:17 PM   #9506
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
It doesn't sem to be the case for the whole road, though. In this section the more winding one with the loop is southbound rather than northbound.
My mistake, the older one is southbound, with the helix-like curve near Savona.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 02:19 PM   #9507
OulaL

Quote:
That makes sense: in the Millesimo junction, even though it only serves southbound direction (the other one involving "u-turns" relatively far from the actual junction) old ramps for northbound direction can still be clearly seen.

https://www.google.fi/maps/@44.36417.../data=!3m1!1e3

Autobahn-mann liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:10 PM   #9508
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Just a little mess
https://www.google.fi/maps/@44.2884597,8.4426258,17.02z
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:12 PM   #9509
italystf

Quote:
That makes sense: in the Millesimo junction, even though it only serves southbound direction (the other one involving "u-turns" relatively far from the actual junction) old ramps for northbound direction can still be clearly seen.

https://www.google.fi/maps/@44.36417.../data=!3m1!1e3
Those ramps are unused for more than 20 years. I hate when those abandoned pieces of infrastructure are just left there, instead of being demolished and the area given back to nature.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:13 PM   #9510
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The A6-A10 junction was the last thing to be completed, well into the 2000s.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:31 PM   #9511
OulaL

Quote:
Italian junctions often become a mess, especially when they involve both tolled and free motorways...
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:33 PM   #9512
italystf

Quote:
Italian junctions often become a mess, especially when they involve both tolled and free motorways...
In some places like this one orography and urbanization also play their role.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 05:58 PM   #9513
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Actually, my point was that it looks like it changes depending on the section of the route. In the southern part (that I showed) it is indeed the southbound direction that's on the old route. However, if you look further north it's the northbound direction that's on the old route. I believe the switchover point is here where the southbound direction goes from the new road to the old one.

Quote:
Those ramps are unused for more than 20 years. I hate when those abandoned pieces of infrastructure are just left there, instead of being demolished and the area given back to nature.
Looks like the Naples area has lots of these abandoned or unfinished ramps and interchanges: 1;2;3;4;5

Autobahn-mann, belerophon liked this post

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; February 2nd, 2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:10 PM   #9514
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

It's possible but I'm not sure. I didn't find any mention of it anywhere; besides, if you look at streetview you can see in that point the two carriageways are on a viaduct, and on slightly different elevations.

https://www.google.fi/maps/@44.35937...7i13312!8i6656
Old February 2nd, 2017, 06:57 PM   #9515
Rebasepoiss

Then again, take a look at the weird angle on that expansion joint...

belerophon liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:30 PM   #9516
OulaL

https://www.google.fi/maps/@44.36392...7i13312!8i6656

This is a disused junction on the northbound side. Looks pretty old, given the stoned edge beside the exit ramp...

OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:07 PM   #9517
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17456

There is old toll both for this disused junction

Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 02:56 AM   #9518
Proof Sheet

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
I drove this stretch of road SB in late December for the 1st time. Incredible feats of road engineering especially with the tunnel that did 360' and dropped in elevation. At times the other direction of traffic was a few km away.

I ended up driving Turin/Savona when I meant to cut SW to Imperia on non autostrada but we never saw the sign for Imperia on SS28. It was quite windy on that road especially as we approached Savona and then WB towards Monaco/Nice etc.

Luki_SL liked this post
Proof Sheet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:19 AM   #9519
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
https://www.google.fi/maps/@44.36392...7i13312!8i6656

This is a disused junction on the northbound side. Looks pretty old, given the stoned edge beside the exit ramp...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luki_SL View Post
There is old toll both for this disused junction
That is such a cool find. I wonder why the old interchange was just abandoned?
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:53 AM   #9520
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17456

I think it was abandoned after the second carriageway was built

Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways