daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2017, 10:59 AM   #9661
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Speaking of Olbia, I was zooming in on that in Google Earth, it turns out to have new imagery from 11 March 2017. It's the first good quality 2017 imagery I've seen in Europe this year.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:53 PM   #9662
mistikos

Likes (Received): 3071

Some videos taken by me during my school trip to Greece from 8th to 14th April:

8th April
SS534 from km 7 to km Sibari

14th April
SS106 from Pisticci to Rocca Imperiale

SS106 from Villapiana Lido to Cassano allo Ionio

SS534 from km 14 to km 7
"Nessuno nasce odiando i propri simili a causa della razza, della religione e della classe alla quale appartengono. Gli uomini imparano ad odiare e, se possono imparare ad odiare, possono anche imparare ad amare perché l'amore, per il cuore umano, è più naturale dell'odio."
-Nelson Mandela

Il mio blog
Il mio canale youtube

brick84 liked this post
mistikos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #9663
mistikos

SS106 Jonica - Some photos between Sibari and Taranto taken by me during my school trip:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistikos View Post
Foto dal sottoscritto scattate sulla SS106:

Andata, 8 Aprile
Rientro a Villapiana sulla 106

Ritorno, 14 Aprile
Tratto pugliese

Tra Pisticci e Scanzano Jonico Nord

Galleria Scanzano

"Nessuno nasce odiando i propri simili a causa della razza, della religione e della classe alla quale appartengono. Gli uomini imparano ad odiare e, se possono imparare ad odiare, possono anche imparare ad amare perché l'amore, per il cuore umano, è più naturale dell'odio."
-Nelson Mandela

Il mio blog
Il mio canale youtube
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:56 PM   #9664
mistikos

SS534 - From km 7 to km 14, some photos taken by me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistikos View Post
Foto della SS534 riguardanti i lavori:

Andata, 8 Aprile
Prima del cavalcavia

Cavalcavia varato

Dal cavalcavia fino a prima della fine della complanare

Fine deviazione con vista delle carreggiate già tracciate

Ritorno, 14 Aprile
Deviazione sulla complanare con vista delle carreggiate già tracciate

Raddoppio in corso sui 7 km

In arrivo prossimamente 4 video...
-Nelson Mandela

Il mio blog
Il mio canale youtube

Luki_SL, simondanut, brick84, Stavros86 liked this post
Old May 1st, 2017, 05:02 PM   #9665
brick84

SS 640 Agrigento-Caltanissetta

The completed lot (the first one) from Agrigento to Canicattì

(sponsored by "Le Vigne" shopping mall)

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte

Luki_SL, roaddor liked this post
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 01:36 PM   #9666
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Video showing the scary conditions of Cannavino viaduct, on SS107 Crotone-Cosenza, Calabria
http://www.silenziefalsita.it/2016/1...as-dice-di-no/

Fortunately, ANAS has recently started 'extraordinary renovation' works.
http://www.quotidianodelsud.it/calab...avino-traffico
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

mistikos liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 06:34 PM   #9667
italystf

A4 between Latisana and San Giorgio di Nogaro is now open with a narrow-lanes configuration and will remain so until around 2020. Speed is limited to 80 (70 for trucks) and it's enforced electronically.
Be prepared to hell

http://nuovavenezia.gelocal.it/venez...2968?ref=fbfnv
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old May 10th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #9668
italystf

A trucker did reverse driving on RA13 motorway near Trieste, after he realized he took the wrong exit. He hit two cars injuring 5 people and ran away.
http://www.triesteprima.it/cronaca/i...ggio-2017.html

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Old May 14th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #9669
Kvarner-1

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
A trucker did reverse driving on RA13 motorway near Trieste, after he realized he took the wrong exit. He hit two cars injuring 5 people and ran away.
http://www.triesteprima.it/cronaca/i...ggio-2017.html
Traffic signalization on Ra13 is very bad. From Monfalcone to Trieste a small font, various colors (green, blue, white).
We from Istra and Fiume, from birth we are traveling Trieste and its surroundings, we know the roads well, even with eyes closed :-)
But every time when I drive trough RA13, I say RESPECT for every tourist who is driving on A4/RA13 and successfully find the road to Fiume/Rijeka.
At the exit of RA13 for Fiume, on the road sign there is only Basovizza-Padricciano and only if you accidentally notice behind the bush the inscription Fiume you know that it is the direction leading towards Fiume-Quarnero/Carnaro and further towards Dalmatia.
Road signs on this highway have to be changed.
On the RA13 should be placed normal highway signposts that will clearly highlight the directions for Fiume (HR), Pula (HR), Capodistria (SLO).

Kvarner-1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2017, 03:25 PM   #9670
brick84

A19 Palermo-Catania

by Giuseppe Cucchiara https://www.facebook.com/giuseppe.cu...?hc_ref=SEARCH

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:17 PM   #9671
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Last year I drove through Milano on A4. On a Friday early afternoon and Monday early morning (before 7 a.m.). Both times were we caught in a big kerfuffle to get through there.

Entering Milano from the east, there is a toll station where 17 lanes have to merge into 3 lanes in only 150 meters. We were stuck in a V-shaped traffic jam for 15 minutes at that location, plus congestion on A4 itself.

When traveling east from A8, you've got 5 lanes merging into 3. We were also stuck there, between a very large volume of trucks.

I don't see how A4 could effectively be expanded. It would require significant demolition of buildings alongside the motorway. A big bypass like A52 and Pedemontana is useful for regional traffic, but most traffic tends to stick to the shortest route as bypasses are too far out of the way or only viable for certain tangential trips. I've also haven't read much about any project to improve A4, there used to be plans for shoulder lanes.

What about removing the exits on A4 and making it accessible to through traffic only? Thereby removing the toll stations on both sides of Milano.

This would reduce Milano-bound traffic on A4 (which could be diverted to A52) and also reduce congestion at the toll plazas.

With local upgrades, A52 could be come the entrance to Milano. For example, the Sesto San Giovanni exit could be closed and traffic moved to A52 and SS36.

Similarly, the access to and from A4 at the SP35 interchange could be removed, by connecting it to A52 and further upgrading A52.

Another option is to keep this interchange and build a toll station on it. There is some space and Italians are inventive to build interchanges in tight places. But it would keep more Milano traffic on A4.

On the west side of Milano, the problem is to install sufficient capacity toll plazas at exits to keep through traffic in a closed toll system. This is difficult to overcome with classic tolling with large toll plazas, but these problems would be solved with all-electronic tolling. Though technically feasible since the 1990s, there has been only haphazard implementation on European toll roads.

AET is currently mostly used in the periphery of Europe or on toll roads with almost exclusively domestic traffic. However there is some increasing usage on major routes, for example the Dartford Crossing in London and (almost) all motorways in Norway, Belarus and Portugal. The e-vignette is also enforced by ANPR in Hungary and Slovakia. Some low emission zones are also enforced similarly. So we're not entirely in the dark ages anymore when it comes to electronic tolling, but it has yet to break through to the mainstream in Italy, France, Spain, Croatia, Austria, etc.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #9672
italystf

Milan section of A4 is likely the most, traffic-wise, problematic, stretch of motorway in Italy, after bottlenecks such Mestre bypass, A1 Bologna-Florence, and A3 have been solved in the past decade. Hopefully things will improve when A36 Pedemontana Lombarda will be completed (not earlier than 2022). Traffic between Venice and Switzerland won't go via Milan anymore, but Venice - Turin traffic will continue doing so (unless they go via A21, that is 30 km longer but faster during rush hour).

As for e-tolling, A36, A59 and A60 in Italy are already using it since 2015.

Since you mentioned Dartford Crossing in London: I sometimes read discussions in an Italian RV forum (I'm not a RV user, but I occasionally read it because they discuss about roads). Of course, when it comes to UK, the first concern is driving on the wrong side of the road. The second concern (according to the number of topics about the question) is probably 'how to pay for Dartford crossing'.

Old May 18th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #9673
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

It is not feasible to make A4 a through-route through Milano. They could have proposed that if they had built A52 as a full-fledged highway with 4 lanes per direction all the way between the fairgrounds and Sesto San Giovani. Since they've not done that, A4 is needed for intra-city traffic, especially to distribute truck traffic.

In any case, removal of intermediate exits would instantly make the small municipalities on the northern side of A4 request that A4 is tunneled or covered.

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:38 PM   #9674
Ices77

Likes (Received): 867

Hello guys, in July I will make a holiday in Italy in Grado. Although there is comfortable motorway from my home practically to the resort, in Italy it is A23 from AT border down to the coast, I plan to drive some scenic roads in Alps. The additional time I want to spend on this detour drive is from two to five hours approximately. I am thinking of taking SS 54 and SP 76, but it is not a condition.

I mean for sure I can take some information from Internet, however, road and motorway geeks here seems here to give good information. Thanks.

Last edited by Ices77; May 22nd, 2017 at 09:47 PM.
Ices77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:15 AM   #9675
pascalwithvespa95

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ices77 View Post
Hello guys, in July I will make a holiday in Italy in Grado. Although there is comfortable motorway from my home practically to the resort, in Italy it is A23 from AT border down to the coast, I plan to drive some scenic roads in Alps. The additional time I want to spend on this detour drive is from two to five hours approximately. I am thinking of taking SS 54 and SP 76, but it is not a condition.

I mean for sure I can take some information from Internet, however, road and motorway geeks here seems here to give good information. Thanks.
The SS13 is a beautiful road following the A23. From Gemona to Tarvisio are almost no villages you have to cross and only little traffic. Also it is free of toll.

The route through Slovenia (Bovec etc.) is also nice
pascalwithvespa95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:18 PM   #9676
Ices77

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalwithvespa95 View Post
The SS13 is a beautiful road following the A23. From Gemona to Tarvisio are almost no villages you have to cross and only little traffic. Also it is free of toll.

The route through Slovenia (Bovec etc.) is also nice
Yeah, right, but I have been driving A23 several times, it´s northern part scenery is nice, if I would drive SS13, the scenery would be nice as well, but the same.
SP76 seems to be narrow and curvy, combined option Italy - Slovenia seems to be good choice, SS54 in Italy, then Slovenian roads 203 and 102 and then again to Italian SS54 up to Udine.
Ices77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #9677
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
About SS96, I read March 2017 as deadline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brick84 View Post
A18 Rosolini-Modica

first stretch from Rosolini to Ispica/Pozzallo in first quater 2017.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
SS96 Barese: north of Altamura – Mellitto 10km (December 2013 to March 2017) – ? – map
SS96 Barese: Mellitto – Toritto 5.4km (March 2010 to March 2017) – ? – map
A18: Rosolini – Ispica/Pozzallo 8km (June 2014 to Early 2017) – projectmap
Any updated estimated opening date?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #9678
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Any updated estimated opening date?
This article says that both lots of SS96 Barese should open by beginning of June.

About A18, I read there are problems in funding, so no clear date is given.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #9679
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Works for the second tube of Tenda/Tende tunnel, between Italy and France, have been stopped by Italian judges for at least 5 months. Wiretapping revealed workers talking about poles being secured to the ground "by spit and flour", works done "scrappily" (but the Italian expression is much stronger), "water spilling out everywhere, an incredibly messy thing".
17 people are under inquiry, including the director and the site manager.

http://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/prem...-con-lo-sputo/
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2017, 10:13 AM   #9680
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 859

I had the privilege of visiting your great nation earlier this year visiting the wonderful cities of Rome, Florence, and Venice.

My cousin lived about 30 minutes north of Rome and we took the freeway that goes between Rome & Florencce. The road was good and well used but considering how it went by Rome I was surprised how light the traffic was. Even the Roman freeways themselves weren't that busy considering the size of Rome. Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver would kill to have such light traffic and free flowing freeways thru their cities. The traffic on Canadian cities near our big cities can be horrific and I was pleasantly surprised how well things moved and how light the traffic was.
ssiguy2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways