daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #9761
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

I was watching the Pink Floyd performance of 'Echoes' which was recorded at Pompeii in 1972. I checked the Roman amphitheatre on Google Earth, and then 'naturally' checked out the nearby infrastructure

I noticed A3 has an unusual toll system. There are two types of tolls, those with Telepass and those without.

There is one main toll plaza, southbound at Napoli Sud and northbound at Nocera. Once you've passed this toll plaza, you can reach any exit without paying tolls.

However this meant that people taking A3 for only a short section would pay the same toll rate as anyone driving the entire length of the motorway. So in 2011 they introduced an electronic toll with Telepass, people with a transponder pay according to distance while others who pay cash or by card pay the standard € 2 fee, regardless of which exit they take. The lowest Telepass toll is € 0.70. The distance-based toll rate is never higher than the standard € 2 toll rate at the main toll plaza.

http://www.autostrademeridionali.it/...std/index.html

I doubt if there is any similar toll system in Europe.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Autobahn-mann liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #9762
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I was watching the Pink Floyd performance of 'Echoes' which was recorded at Pompeii in 1972. I checked the Roman amphitheatre on Google Earth, and then 'naturally' checked out the nearby infrastructure

I noticed A3 has an unusual toll system. There are two types of tolls, those with Telepass and those without.

There is one main toll plaza, southbound at Napoli Sud and northbound at Nocera. Once you've passed this toll plaza, you can reach any exit without paying tolls.

However this meant that people taking A3 for only a short section would pay the same toll rate as anyone driving the entire length of the motorway. So in 2011 they introduced an electronic toll with Telepass, people with a transponder pay according to distance while others who pay cash or by card pay the standard € 2 fee, regardless of which exit they take. The lowest Telepass toll is € 0.70. The distance-based toll rate is never higher than the standard € 2 toll rate at the main toll plaza.

http://www.autostrademeridionali.it/...std/index.html

I doubt if there is any similar toll system in Europe.
it was just normal open tolling system where in one direction you have barrier, and in other direction you pay on exits. similar thing was present in Slovenia at A1 north of Ljubljana for few exits (between Krtina and Blagovica), is still present in France (for isntance A8 west of Nice), Spain at C32, even in Austria at A10
Old July 10th, 2017, 11:35 PM   #9763
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by intersezioni View Post
Geez, how old is this map? The A26 between Genova and Alessandria was built 40 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
it was just normal open tolling system where in one direction you have barrier, and in other direction you pay on exits. similar thing was present in Slovenia at A1 north of Ljubljana for few exits (between Krtina and Blagovica)
It's still there for trucks and buses, but it doesn't sound the same as the mentioned toll system on the Italian A3.

Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 12:58 AM   #9764
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Geez, how old is this map? The A26 between Genova and Alessandria was built 40 years ago.
This is a railway map. Lines you see aren't motorways, but railways (that run on valleys and along the coast parallel to roads).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #9765
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

But there's a road map in the background, and A26 is shown U/C .
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 01:56 AM   #9766
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:

It's still there for trucks and buses, but it doesn't sound the same as the mentioned toll system on the Italian A3.
it is very similar. difference is that on ex A3 in Italy one-way barrier was at the beginning of the tolled section, so you paid always on entering the tolled section (wether barrier, or entrance, never on exit). in Slovenia there is 2 way barrier in the middle of the tolled section. southbound of barrier you pay only at southbound entrance/exit (direction Ljubljana), northboun of barrier you pay only northbound (direction Maribor), so you can never pay twice.
i drove there when it was active, so principle was the same - you can never pay twice tolled section.
Old July 11th, 2017, 04:39 AM   #9767
Verso
Islander

Ok, but with our "Telepass" (ABC) you pay the same as those without it (with cash).
Old July 11th, 2017, 10:00 AM   #9768
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
But there's a road map in the background, and A26 is shown U/C .
You're right, I didn't notice it because I was on my mobile.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old July 11th, 2017, 03:42 PM   #9769
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Last 6 July, the European Commissioner for Transport authorized the plan for the construction and management of the so-called "Gronda di Ponente", the new connection between A7, A26, A10 and A12 around Genoa.
According to some forumers in the Italian forum expropriations already begun, although I cannot find any news on the newspapers.

The 10 billion euro quoted in some newspapers, though, also include the completion of A33 and extra lanes on the A1 in Emilia-Romagna and Tuscany.

Works could begin next year.

http://www.genovatoday.it/economia/g...do-europa.html
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #9770
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Ok, but with our "Telepass" (ABC) you pay the same as those without it (with cash).
i thought Chris was talking aboutprinciples of open tolling with booths at exits, not about tarrifs. if he spoke about tarrifs, yes, it is quite unique. maybe similar thing is in Austria on A13 where they have open tolling system, but with various tarrifs.
Old July 18th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #9771
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Works for the enlargement (2+2) of SS106 between Sibari and Trebisacce (19 km) have been approved and financed.
Old July 21st, 2017, 08:58 PM   #9772
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

A series of landslides blocked the road that, from the Italian town of Livigno, leads to tunnel Munt La Schera and Switzerland. Many motorists were caught between the slides and the tunnel and had to abandon their cars on the spot, being rescued across the lake by boats.
They say it will take up to 5 days to reopen the road
http://www.ilgiorno.it/sondrio/crona...igno-1.3283478
Old July 22nd, 2017, 12:46 AM   #9773
brick84

Highway Catania-Siracusa, Sicily

New fuel station and 'Autogrill' next to Lentini junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by brick84 View Post
Come dicevo, già istallata la segnaletica interna. Inoltre, escavatore in azione intento, probabilmente, a scavare le buche per la piantumazione della vegetazione nell'aiuola confinante con la carreggiata.

"Quello che facciamo per noi stessi,muore con noi quello che facciamo per gli altri e per il mondo rimane, ed e’ immortale" - Albert Pine.

Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Prima parte
Ponte sullo Stretto di Messina - Seconda parte

mistikos, Luki_SL liked this post
brick84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 11:14 AM   #9774
intersezioni

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Last 6 July, the European Commissioner for Transport authorized the plan for the construction and management of the so-called "Gronda di Ponente", the new connection between A7, A26, A10 and A12 around Genoa.
According to some forumers in the Italian forum expropriations already begun, although I cannot find any news on the newspapers.

The 10 billion euro quoted in some newspapers, though, also include the completion of A33 and extra lanes on the A1 in Emilia-Romagna and Tuscany.

Works could begin next year.

http://www.genovatoday.it/economia/g...do-europa.html
It's all true, they talked of this in the regional news broadcast.
Expropriations are initiated more than 1 year ago
intersezioni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 06:57 PM   #9775
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
This article says that both lots of SS96 Barese should open by beginning of June.
I found this news article from 12th July. I'm not sure if I understand it right because they report about 3 sections. One to be delivered within some weeks, the remaing one's in mid 2018 and 2019?!?!?!?

Can anyone help, has anything already been opened 2x2? When are the sections expected to be opened?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:41 PM   #9776
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I found this news article from 12th July. I'm not sure if I understand it right because they report about 3 sections. One to be delivered within some weeks, the remaing one's in mid 2018 and 2019?!?!?!?

Can anyone help, has anything already been opened 2x2? When are the sections expected to be opened?
If I understood correctly, there are 4 lots:

1- Altamura-Toritto 1st section (Melitto area): works are stopped.
2- Altamura-Toritto 2nd section: will be delivered in few weeks,
3- Altamura Variante: completion date mid-2018
4- Toritto-Modugno: very advanced stage of construction.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 10:12 AM   #9777
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
If I understood correctly, there are 4 lots:

1- Altamura-Toritto 1st section (Melitto area): works are stopped.
2- Altamura-Toritto 2nd section: will be delivered in few weeks,
3- Altamura Variante: completion date mid-2018
4- Toritto-Modugno: very advanced stage of construction.
Got it. Is there any info why works on the Melitto section are stopped? Only temporarily or really suspended?
btw: Your first post from August 2014 reported a November 2014 completion...

Quote:
New superstrada construction in Italy:

SS96 "Barese": Altamura – Toritto 2nd lot, 2 10km (December 2013 to December 2016)
SS96 "Barese": Altamura – Toritto 1st lot, 2 5.4km (March 2010 to November 2014)
SS96 "Barese": Toritto – Modugno, 2 9km (December 2013 to December 2017)

map:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=11/40.9361/16.6244
I won't change the estimated Toritto – Modugno opening date and keep "December 2017".

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 12:21 PM   #9778
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Got it. Is there any info why works on the Melitto section are stopped? Only temporarily or really suspended?
btw: Your first post from August 2014 reported a November 2014 completion...
The article says that the first tender was terminated, and they have to retender everything from scratch. Maybe the first company went bankrupt.
Old July 30th, 2017, 11:32 PM   #9779
italystf

Widening of A4 Venice-Trieste. New bridge on Tagliamento river near Latisana.

http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/trieste/...ref=hfpitsec-3

Luki_SL, Verso, Highway89, Jachoslaw liked this post
Old July 31st, 2017, 06:23 PM   #9780
Verso
Islander

Can someone please remind me of the timetable for widening of the A4 between Venice and Villesse? When are certain sections planned to be finished? Thanks.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways