daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1701
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENIUS LOCI View Post
Are you referring at my post?

Actually it is dangerous because coming from A10 in direction Milan you get in A26 on the overtaking lane, after an upward steeped ramp
Ah, yes you're right... I think I got confused in the mess!

That's really a very dangerous way to build intersections...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:37 PM   #1702
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Are you referring at my post?

Actually it is dangerous because coming from A10 in direction Milan you get in A26 on the overtaking lane, after an upward steeped ramp
Not exactly.
The lane A10 (coming up from Savona) merging into A26 becomes its third lane, while the A10 coming up from Genoa has two lanes.
JB Colbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:45 PM   #1703
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Anyway I think it is worse the intersection with A10 and A26 in Genova Voltri

http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&ie=...10836&t=k&z=17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Colbert View Post
Consider the interconnection between A1 and A2 in Switzerland in direction Gottard
I think these interchanges are quite ok, certainly better and less dangerous than the A14×A16.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:53 PM   #1704
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Consider the interconnection between A1 and A2 in Switzerland in direction Gottard
You mean this?

http://maps.google.it/maps?f=d&sourc...=UTF8&t=h&z=17

I can't see anything wrong here...
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:02 PM   #1705
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11132

I also find quite awful this intersection between A8 and A9 in Milan direction http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&ie=...,0.010836&z=17

Fortunately with the widening of A9 to 3 lanes, currently under way, they will change it building a ramp merging on the right of A8
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM   #1706
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
You mean this?

http://maps.google.it/maps?f=d&sourc...=UTF8&t=h&z=17

I can't see anything wrong here...
Just this, yes.
In any case is an interconnection coming from left.
But I agree A14+A16 is more dangerous.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:15 PM   #1707
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Just this, yes.
In any case is an interconnection coming from left.
Sorry, where? You mean traffic coming from the right side and from the left side of A1 meeting halfway in the junction?
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM   #1708
JB Colbert
In the Grid.

Si che hai capito, su.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM   #1709
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Si che hai capito, su.
Honest, I didn't understand. Because there is no junction merging into the autostrada from the left, there's just two low-speed junctions merging... It's quite a bit different...
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:24 PM   #1710
Verso
Islander

Quote:
I also find quite awful this intersection between A8 and A9 in Milan direction http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&ie=...,0.010836&z=17

Fortunately with the widening of A9 to 3 lanes, currently under way, they will change it building a ramp merging on the right of A8
Better than this, especially for an important motorway such as the Milan beltway.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:05 AM   #1711
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

opening soon of the A28 Portogruaro-Conegliano (at present open to Sacile ovest/west exit). some pics of the junction with the A27 at Conegliano.
It will be worth 20 min less to reach Trieste and Gorizia (so Slovenia, etc) from Belluno (dolomitic province)
the new conegliano exit ramp (and exit even towards A28)

the old Conegliano exit ramp

in the first place the old entry ramp from Conegliano and in the background the new one (exit even towards A27-Venice from A28- Portogruaro)
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:35 AM   #1712
Verso
Islander

Nice, 20 min less to Belluno. Will there be Trieste on signs or just Pordenone?
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:23 PM   #1713
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Better than this, especially for an important motorway such as the Milan beltway.
Actually that's not dangerous as they are two immision ramps merging together (with max speed of 40 km/h): it is an old way to build 'em, and there are other ones similar around Milan. I hope they will 'upgrade' em sooner or later

In A9/A8 you come from A9 normally with a speed of 80 km/h while on your right cars run at 130 (actually many ones more than that speed)
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:01 PM   #1714
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3naranze View Post
opening soon of the A28 Portogruaro-Conegliano (at present open to Sacile ovest/west exit). some pics of the junction with the A27 at Conegliano.
It will be worth 20 min less to reach Trieste and Gorizia (so Slovenia, etc) from Belluno (dolomitic province)
Nice. One motorway that my map got (partially) right (But I saw something like opening 200x, with x a low number ).
But now, A26 extension attempt #2: Since that Simplon tunnel would be a waste of money (Only was inspired by the railroad tunnel), now I extend the A26 along SS34 and the shore of the great lake (Lago Maggiore) to Swiss border, where it would meet an extended A13 from Bellinzona... This would be a great bypass of Milan (And no that TOTSO of Pedemontana, that I though it would be more straight),

And I have a map where I drawed an extension of A14 all the way down to... Reggio di Calabria .

PS: I just checked Google Earth and that A26 would be to build. But they built the A10.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; July 23rd, 2010 at 05:19 PM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1715
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

There is no traffic to justify this extension of the A26. But widening the existing road Intra-Locarno would be a good idea. It's really narrow on some places.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #1716
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Last edited by CNGL; February 30th 2003 at 13:00 AM
Old July 28th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #1717
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

According to Repubblica, new legislation approves a new highway code, which includes a speed limit of 150 km/h on the Autostrade.

http://www.repubblica.it/motori/2010...legge-5888284/
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #1718
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Indeed, there are other modifications, some of them interesting:

- cyclists will be obliged to wear helmets all the time (something I STRONGLY favor)

- drivers holding licenses for less than 3 years ("neopatentati") and professional drivers will have zero tolerance for alcohol on the blood

- increased penalties for professional drivers who exceed their maximum allowed working hours (sequential, cumulative in a time frame, mandatory rest)

- fines for excessive speed are increased, but license points taken are sharply reduced (5 to 3 points for exceeding from 10km to 40km the maximum posting speed + 5%, for instance)

- anti-drug test for first-time drivers (to be implemented) and for those renewing or applying for professional licenses

- clubs will be restricted from selling alcohol after 3AM, exceptions will apply if clubs have comprehensive programs to prevent drunk driving (note: in Italy many big clubs are located on the industrial outskirts of main cities and, if you don't have enough money for taxi, there are really no way to get there without driving).

- increased fines and license points taken from not respecting the pedestrian strip

- increased financial and fiscal benefits for disabled people buying adapted cars (with the goal to improve mobility of the handicapped).

It was, overall, a very, very good reform of the Italian Highway Code - a massive one, affecting 1/3 of its articles.

In regard of the 150km/h limit, it will not become the blank speed limit. It will, however, provide a regulation whereas the agency with jurisdiction over the highways will have to study the technical feasibility of increasing the limits up to 150 in every highway that has 3 or more lanes per direction.

The biggest potential for a 150km/h maximum speed, in my opinion, is for the A1 (Milano-Bologna) and the A4 (Torino-Milano-Bergamo), of course outside the tangenziali milanese limits. It will be awesome, 150km/h cars travelling alongside 270 km/h trains all over the Pianura Panda

Attitudes toward speed in Italy have changed a lot. With more than a decade of private administration of what was once the worst-kept highway network, there is growing pressure to increase speed limits, and people do not tolerate environmental excuses or so. In a very interesting policy shift occurred 5/6 years ago, the highway authorities proposed widespread adoption of the Tutor (which measures average speed limits over long (2, 5 and 10km) sectors) instead of lower speed limits (suggestion was to lower the blank limit to 110 or 120) to curb high highway fatality rates. The Tutor worked beyond expectations, highway deaths were reduced by more than 54% and now the "lower the speed" camp lost its ground.

Even some 30 km/h main streets on residential zones are being dismantled in favor of 40km/h.

I truly hope other countries get inspired by this and make reforms in their highway codes too.
Old July 28th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #1719
Suburbanist
on the road

Highway constructions WORKS to reduce congestion and mortality

Massive investment in Italian highways (overdue 10-20 years, though still short of what we really need) have curtailed congestion and deaths and highway mortality.

Here it goes data from Autostrada per l'Italia (covering the majority of major Italian freeway network):

Annual mortality rate
1999 - 1,14
2002 - 0,83
2005 - 0,60
2008 - 0,42
2009 - 0,36

Deaths during the "exodo estivo"* (summer getaway)
2006 - 74
2007 - 50
2008 - 45
2009 - 36

Hours lost to traffic congestion in highways during the summer getaway*
2006 - 1.491.022
2007 - 1.331.864
2008 - 1.129.145
2009 - 968.136

Finally, for those who want to check it out, traffic forecast during the 2010 summer getaway can be found here http://www.autostrade.it/pdf_previsioni/previsioni.pdf

I'll help with basic keys and translation: you have many graphic with weekdays and 6 colored circles. Each group of 3 circles represent morning-afternoon-evening. 3 left circles are for southbound or "tourist destination bound" traffic (example: westbound traffic on A8, but for most routes is straight forward south (left) and north (right).

Colors are self-explaining

They argue that ostensible and intensive publicity about the "bolino nero" (black mark) has decreased traffic on the worst of all days (first Saturday of August) in Italy by 7% last year, even if traffic in the whole first week of August increased by 4%. No particular bad weather occurred.

Finally, for those who want to know suggested "alternative routes", you can find them here http://autostrade.it/autostrade/percorsiAlternativi.do . Autostrada per l'Italia found out that many people rely on GPS only, and most GPS are still not dynamically feed with traffic info, so they direct people to highways regardless of the "bolino nero" on any day.

For foreigners, it is interesting as it shows reliable and toll-free roads they can take in the worst days. At least, if you are to get stuck on a traffic jam, do it in roads that crosses more cities and fields and beaches
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1720
Suburbanist
on the road

Widening projects "in study" by Autostrade per l'Italia

In 2008 the major concessionary of Italian highways signed a protocol with the government to start studies on further projects (there are already massive widening/interchange reconstruction/variants projects ongoing).

The pre-selected sector for widening are: [corsia = (to be widened to x) lanes (per direction)]

A1 4ª corsia Milano Sud - Lodi 17,8km
A1 4ª corsia Piacenza Sud - Modena 97,9km
A1 3ª corsia Incisa - Valdarno 17,9km
A1 4ª corsia S.Cesareo - Colleferro 16,6km
A1 4ª corsia Colleferro - Frosinone 31,3km
A11 3ª corsia Firenze - Pistoia 26,8km
A11 3ª corsia Pistoia - Montecatini 11,4km
A12 3ª corsia Torrimpietra - S. Marinella 26,1km
A13 3ª corsia Padova Sud - Monselice 13,3km
A13 3ª corsia Ferrara - Bologna 32,7km
A14 4ª corsia Diramazione per Ravenna - Bologna S.Lazzaro 34,1km

Tags