daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Awesome. I made a video of A8 from Milano to Gallarate.

What I didn't like was the turn from A50 to A8 from south to west. After you've left this massive toll plaza, you'll enter a very tight left-turn to merge with A8 just after their toll plaza. An easy place for queues.

What is the speed limit on A8? I didn't notice any signs, so I guess it was 130 km/h, which surprised me considering A8 is very busy throughout the day. Most countries would impose a lower speed limit, like 100 or 110 km/h. The Tangenziale Ovest di Milano (A50) is limited at 90 km/h all the way if I'm correct. (which is too slow, 110 would be better).

Although modern-day A8 doesn't resemble anything from the 1920's Autostrada (the first in Italy!), you can still see its dead-straight alignment between Milano and that big curve near Gallarate.

By the way, I noticed they are rebuilding the A8-A9 interchange near Lainate. Is that to accommodate the new lanes of A9? It looked like a fly-over from Gallarate to Como.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #1882
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

The last photo shows the HSL Milan-Turin passing over the A50 (in the background) and the SS33 (in the foreground, this one passes also under the A50).

http://maps.google.ch/maps?f=q&sourc...19205&t=h&z=16

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #1883
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
By the way, I noticed they are rebuilding the A8-A9 interchange near Lainate. Is that to accommodate the new lanes of A9? It looked like a fly-over from Gallarate to Como.
Today the A9 merge on the A8 from the left. This will rebuilt, a bridge will bring the southbound A9 carriageway to the right so it can merge with the A8 from the right. The A9 from there until Como toll station is being enlarged to 3 lanes, and the section from A8-A9 interchange to A8-A50 interchange (and toll station) will be enlarged to 5 lanes.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #1884
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
and the section from A8-A9 interchange to A8-A50 interchange (and toll station) will be enlarged to 5 lanes.
I've read about that. The works have started on A9, but not yet on A8, when will they start widening A8 to 2x5 lanes?
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #1885
TohrAlkimista

Likes (Received): 920

The final project for the widening is under completion.
By the end of the year it will be presented to local authorities and probably, by the end of the next year, they will start with the preparatory works.
TohrAlkimista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #1886
TohrAlkimista

BTW, as regards the A9, tomorrow I'll drive along that Autostrada and I'll have a look to the works involved.
Stay tuned.
Old September 4th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #1887
TohrAlkimista

Quote:

They'll re-design the interchange, completely.
The new merge from the A9 to the A8 will not be on the lane on the extreme left ("acceleration lane"), but on the extreme right, as it's supposed to be.
Old September 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #1888
Mauz®
Utonto

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
A8+A4 around Milan
Wrong: there's no A4 in those photos.

-First pic: A8 crossing Lainate and separating the residential area by the industrial one. It's near the Villoresi channel.
-second pic: A8 near Lainate, just 1 or 2 KMs before the toll station. Easy to recognize the area thanks to that Autogrill rest area.
-third pic: the very intricate complex of interchanges near the new Fair of Milan. You can see the A50 just 1 or 2 KMs after the toll station of Terrazzano. You can also recognize the most recent part of the bypass of the new Fair of Milan, converging directly in the SS33 (Statale del Sempione). And you can also see the last stretch of the TAV (high speed railway) Torino-Milano.
Mauz® no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1889
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauz® View Post
Wrong: there's no A4 in those photos.

-First pic: A8 crossing Lainate and separating the residential area by the industrial one. It's near the Villoresi channel.
-second pic: A8 near Lainate, just 1 or 2 KMs before the toll station. Easy to recognize the area thanks to that Autogrill rest area.
-third pic: the very intricate complex of interchanges near the new Fair of Milan. You can see the A50 just 1 or 2 KMs after the toll station of Terrazzano. You can also recognize the most recent part of the bypass of the new Fair of Milan, converging directly in the SS33 (Statale del Sempione). And you can also see the last stretch of the TAV (high speed railway) Torino-Milano.
I recognised the TAV so I thought the highway was A4, well...sorry
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #1890
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:

Although modern-day A8 doesn't resemble anything from the 1920's Autostrada (the first in Italy!), you can still see its dead-straight alignment between Milano and that big curve near Gallarate.
some would say the first of the world...all though as you know it's controversial
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1891
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
some would say the first of the world...all though as you know it's controversial
Yes. I've done some studying, but it remains hard to tell;

* 1908: Long Island Motor Parkway - single lane, but grade-separated
* 1921: AVUS (modern-day A115), Berlin - racetrack, not for all purpose traffic
* 1924: Autostrada dei Laghi - single lane, but completely grade-separated
* 1925: Bronx River Parkway, New York - multilane, but not completely grade separated nor medians.
* 1932: A555 Köln - Bonn - multilane, no median
* 1935: A5 Frankfurt - Darmstad - multilane, grade separated, median, probably first modern motorway in the world.
* 1937: A12 Zoetermeer - Den Haag - multilane, grade separated, median, shoulders, first motorway to feature continuous shoulders

I think we can conclude A8 was the first road to be called an "Autostrada", but does not comply with modern-day Autostrada requirements (that is at least 2x2 lanes, median and grade separation).
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #1892
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Yes. I've done some studying, but it remains hard to tell;

* 1908: Long Island Motor Parkway - single lane, but grade-separated
* 1921: AVUS (modern-day A115), Berlin - racetrack, not for all purpose traffic
* 1924: Autostrada dei Laghi - single lane, but completely grade-separated
* 1925: Bronx River Parkway, New York - multilane, but not completely grade separated nor medians.
* 1932: A555 Köln - Bonn - multilane, no median
* 1935: A5 Frankfurt - Darmstad - multilane, grade separated, median, probably first modern motorway in the world.
* 1937: A12 Zoetermeer - Den Haag - multilane, grade separated, median, shoulders, first motorway to feature continuous shoulders

I think we can conclude A8 was the first road to be called an "Autostrada", but does not comply with modern-day Autostrada requirements (that is at least 2x2 lanes, median and grade separation).
I think the main difference between before and after A8 is that A8 was dedicated exclusively to cars (for the time a new concept) and it was a road built with the modern (or old roman) concept of being an expressway rather than a road connecting multiple cities/villages. As a matter of fact, I believe it was also the first major "toll" road

That having being said, of course A8 of 1924 was not a modern highway as we call it, the german autobahn system was probably the first one
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:57 AM   #1893
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Is there any redesign of A4-A8 interchange planned? I never liked to drive over that mess.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #1894
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Is there any redesign of A4-A8 interchange planned? I never liked to drive over that mess.
NOt that we are aware of...
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:15 AM   #1895
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

What's wrong with the A4-A8 interchange?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #1896
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
it is a little bit messy because many lanes merge, but merging areas are really long enough to merge without any problems. the only 2 things suspicious there are one left exit (direction San Siro - Torino) and one left connector (direction Bergamo - San Siro).

maybe he thought abou A4-A50 with that famous toll plaza but in that case i doubt it is more complicated than A4-A52 with its toll plaza(s)
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #1897
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

a4 X a52 (tangenziale nord) is a weird one. And they don't provide easy A4 eastbound to A52 southbound access.
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:36 AM   #1898
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

Anyone have pics of the A-90 (Rome ringroad)?
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #1899
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Narrow and very curvy, with reduced number of lanes on main direction and without hard shoulders, and always I went through there were some works. It also (in my opinion) the most congested part of A4 in Milano.

Quote:
a4 X a52 (tangenziale nord) is a weird one. And they don't provide easy A4 eastbound to A52 southbound access.
Actually how do you do that? Do you go off the A52 and onto some side street and make a U turn? It just looks like so from the air.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #1900
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post

Actually how do you do that? Do you go off the A52 and onto some side street and make a U turn? It just looks like so from the air.
well, theoretically ther should be no need for that turn as people driving on A4 westward would take the A51 then exit before then merge with the A52 few km to the south. This leaves such drivers unable to access exit Sesto San Giovanni. A massive industrial area nearby is underoging redevelopment, so that might become an issue in the medium-term future.

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways