daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #1901
lucaf1

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewerfan386 View Post
Anyone have pics of the A-90 (Rome ringroad)?

http://www.matildi.com/lotto5.htm
lucaf1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #1902
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Video: A8 Milano - Gallarate

The oldest Autostrada of Italy.

Stay tuned for more.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #1903
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Likes (Received): 3847

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Video: A8 Milano - Gallarate

The oldest Autostrada of Italy.

Stay tuned for more.
great video!

Was this your second time on italian autostrade? you said before you only drove 3 km

How did you find it?
Eddard Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #1904
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
A8+A4 around Milan
impressive interchange
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #1905
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

head-on accident occured at 12.30 p.m. few days ago on the carriageway Conegliano-Pordenone of the A28 motorway, near Orsago. no seriously injuried drivers.
Oh I forgot, that section has been closed about 2 years ago to complete the last 4,5 km lot: the junction A27-A28 at Conegliano.
that section works as construction site road...and it's 3,75+3,75+3,00=10,50 m wide!
pics from Il Gazzettino

3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:57 PM   #1906
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

The project "Quadrilatero" which will complete the central italian "superstrade" network creating 2 routes connecting Toscana, Umbria and Marche

The project is U/C only for the main 2 routes, not the other ones

A third one is projected further north (Grosseto-Siena-Arezzo-Fano) but works are proceeding only on few parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano Alto View Post
Una domanda: la diramazione verso Sarnano in che modo è coinvolta nel progetto?

Old September 7th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #1907
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Interesting, I was just looking into this network, and notice the missing links in that area. The network seems more completed further north and west.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #1908
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Interesting, I was just looking into this network, and notice the missing links in that area. The network seems more completed further north and west.
These links are in Apennine country, so it's expensive to cross while the bulk of the through traffic in this part of Italy is North-South anyway. But at least a couple of east-west crossings would come in handy, and there is none at motorway / expressway standard between Bologna - Rimini (which is not really an Apennine crossing) and Roma - Pescara.

Apart from the crossings posted above, they are also working on the E78 route from Grosseto to Fano. But that is a long, long, long story. Any Italian interested in telling the story of the Galleria de Guinza? Anyway, it's the tunnel to be used to cross the Apennines, they constructed one tube in the late 1990s and early 2000s, stopped construction for the second tube as a result of a lack of funds, and never opened the first tube because there is still no connection between the tunnel and the E45. In other words, you don't need the 'Ndrangheta to see Italian road construction at its worst.
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #1909
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
These links are in Apennine country, so it's expensive to cross while the bulk of the through traffic in this part of Italy is North-South anyway. But at least a couple of east-west crossings would come in handy, and there is none at motorway / expressway standard between Bologna - Rimini (which is not really an Apennine crossing) and Roma - Pescara.
I'm too tired for that, but I dare to remember of the SS3Bis, an almost-highway Apenine crossing
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #1910
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I'm too tired for that, but I dare to remember of the SS3Bis, an almost-highway Apenine crossing
But he was talking about East-West connections... SS3bis is North-South...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #1911
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
But he was talking about East-West connections... SS3bis is North-South...
Yes, you are right. Sorry.
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #1912
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Pictures of a small piece of "Quadrilatero" alredy opened, this is SS77 (I think Muccia-Collesentino piece)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1963 View Post
Eccovi finalmente le foto scattate dal sottoscritto due giorni fa (cliccare per ingrandire) del tratto attualmente denominato “Variante SS77”, da località Valdiea al bivio “Maddalena” (comune di Muccia) dove comincia la 209 della Val Nerina, inaugurato lo scorso dicembre.
Qui siamo in galleria, purtroppo è scattato il flash, si nota comunque l’ampiezza della banchina:

Galleria e galleria semiartificiale:

Ancora un tratto con due gallerie artificiali in sequenza:

Eccolo lì, il logo Quadrilatero

Un tratto all'aperto, e l'imbocco delle gallerie finali, prima del ritorno sulla vecchia SS77 al bivio di Maddalena/Muccia direzione Foligno, si nota la larghezza delle banchine (quasi una corsia d'emergenza) nonché delle carreggiate, e comunque ci sono molti spazi "di servizio":

Appena trovo il tempo, le foto dei cantieri da Muccia fino all'innesto con la SS3 a Foligno
Old September 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #1913
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
the SS3Bis, an almost-highway Apenine crossing
Expressway standard, so if it wasn't for the North-South direction, it would have been caught in the description of my earlier post. I drove the SS3bis / E45 once, and it was a pleasant drive. Probably due to the fact that it was on a Saturday morning with hardly any traffic at all. I hope the road will get a decent upgrade shortly to become part of a new A2 all the way from Mestre to Orte.
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #1914
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

New Italian expressways seem to be quite good, they even have some hard shoulder. Same with the new expressway south of Trieste (two-year-old), which is wider than our continuation. I just hope they will be maintained.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #1915
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

SS76 which is part of the Quadrilatero project as the SS77 is already built for the bigger part (40km from Falconara Marittima to Serra San Quirico and another 10 km or so around Fabriano). Unfortunately the first 40km were built in the '70s I believe, so narrow lanes and no shoulder at all. They just renovated a 2 km section between Monsano and Chiaravalle and it's amazing, wider lanes, hard shoulder, new generation side barriers.
Unfortunately, it's just 2km I'd love if they renovate the whole SS76, but I think it's not going to happen anytime soon
Old September 9th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #1916
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
SS76 which is part of the Quadrilatero project as the SS77 is already built for the bigger part (40km from Falconara Marittima to Serra San Quirico and another 10 km or so around Fabriano). Unfortunately the first 40km were built in the '70s I believe, so narrow lanes and no shoulder at all. They just renovated a 2 km section between Monsano and Chiaravalle and it's amazing, wider lanes, hard shoulder, new generation side barriers.
Unfortunately, it's just 2km I'd love if they renovate the whole SS76, but I think it's not going to happen anytime soon
I think after finishing the new sections of both superstrade the old ones will be renovated, it makes sense
Old September 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #1917
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

It makes sense, but the renovation of the existing pieces of SS76 is not in the Quadrilatero Project. For SS76 the Project consists only in the construction of the second carriageway between Serra San Quirico and Albacina and from Cancelli di Fabriano to the Umbrian border (almost 20 km in total)... works were due to start in november 2009 but as of now they still aren't.
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #1918
Eddard Stark
Keep your head

Quote:
It makes sense, but the renovation of the existing pieces of SS76 is not in the Quadrilatero Project. For SS76 the Project consists only in the construction of the second carriageway between Serra San Quirico and Albacina and from Cancelli di Fabriano to the Umbrian border (almost 20 km in total)... works were due to start in november 2009 but as of now they still aren't.
Serra San Quirico-Albacina is U/C in the latest updates we had. The rest in reality should be U/C as it is so on the website. However people travelling there say there is no sign of constructions.

Anyway I know the old parts of SS76 and 77 anre not part of Quadrilatero, but neither should they. I am just saying after the project will be finished it will be not too difficult to find a few millions to upgrade hard shoulder and protections of the old sections of the 2 superstrade
Old September 9th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #1919
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddard Stark View Post
Serra San Quirico-Albacina is U/C in the latest updates we had. The rest in reality should be U/C as it is so on the website. However people travelling there say there is no sign of constructions.
I know the area very well since I was born and raised there and my parents still live at 5 km from Serra San Quirico. In Serra San Quirico-Albacina there is no sign on costruction whatsoever: the original plan was to build the second carriageway in tunnel on the other side of the narrow "Gola della Rossa" gorge, with respect to the first carriageway, already present. Problem is that on that side of the gorge the railway is present, and project of doubling the line are already ongoing. So basically they had to redo completely the plan in order to allow the doubling of the railway line. I don't know what current plans are, but there isn't much space in that particular spot.

Quote:
Anyway I know the old parts of SS76 and 77 anre not part of Quadrilatero, but neither should they. I am just saying after the project will be finished it will be not too difficult to find a few millions to upgrade hard shoulder and protections of the old sections of the 2 superstrade
Sure you are right, but honestly I don't think they will do it in a short time. The doubling of Gola della Rossa will be much more costly than previously thought, and the rest of SS76 is for large part in viaducts...
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #1920
WalkTheWorld
Ministry of Truth

Likes (Received): 3519

Quote:
Yes. I've done some studying, but it remains hard to tell;

* 1908: Long Island Motor Parkway - single lane, but grade-separated
* 1921: AVUS (modern-day A115), Berlin - racetrack, not for all purpose traffic
* 1924: Autostrada dei Laghi - single lane, but completely grade-separated
* 1925: Bronx River Parkway, New York - multilane, but not completely grade separated nor medians.
* 1932: A555 Köln - Bonn - multilane, no median
* 1935: A5 Frankfurt - Darmstad - multilane, grade separated, median, probably first modern motorway in the world.
* 1937: A12 Zoetermeer - Den Haag - multilane, grade separated, median, shoulders, first motorway to feature continuous shoulders

I think we can conclude A8 was the first road to be called an "Autostrada", but does not comply with modern-day Autostrada requirements (that is at least 2x2 lanes, median and grade separation).
And still nobody says for the n-time that your movie also includes the oldest Autogrill in the nation!

Tags
autobahn, autostrada, highways, italia, italy, motorways