daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #21
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Is there any kind of gap? Like a step up or step down? Seems incredibly excessive to announce it at every station...
No, just the regular narrow gap. As you can guess the MRT is modern and well design, like (almost) everything in Singapore.
I think they have a real problem with the annoucements. Together with the gaps annoucements you can hear messages about food, drinking and littering prohibition and interchanges (which are not so numerous and are easy to use there). Since a few months Singapore decided that it could also be a target for terrorism so there are some new security warnings! And everything excepted the "mind the gap" which is in English and Mandarin is in the nation 4 languages (Tamil, Malay, Mandarin, English)!!
It seems that even some Singaporean are fed up with this because I've read on a Singaporean forum something about the "noise pollution" in MRT. I've heard that Japanese have the same problem.

Quote:
New York, Paris and London's systems are the best because they have stuff like... gaps!
With some problems though: the sharp curve and the big gap was one of the reason to close City Hall station in NYC and the Bastille's curve in Paris on line 1 was a nightmare for the new train's (MP89) designers. It is still a problem as the line 1 is being converted into a fully automated line for 2010 and need platform screen doors that should fit with the gap.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #22
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
No, just the regular narrow gap. As you can guess the MRT is modern and well design, like (almost) everything in Singapore.
I think they have a real problem with the annoucements. Together with the gaps annoucements you can hear messages about food, drinking and littering prohibition and interchanges (which are not so numerous and are easy to use there). Since a few months Singapore decided that it could also be a target for terrorism so there are some new security warnings! And everything excepted the "mind the gap" which is in English and Mandarin is in the nation 4 languages (Tamil, Malay, Mandarin, English)!!
It seems that even some Singaporean are fed up with this because I've read on a Singaporean forum something about the "noise pollution" in MRT. I've heard that Japanese have the same problem.

With some problems though: the sharp curve and the big gap was one of the reason to close City Hall station in NYC and the Bastille's curve in Paris on line 1 was a nightmare for the new train's (MP89) designers. It is still a problem as the line 1 is being converted into a fully automated line for 2010 and need platform screen doors that should fit with the gap.
Why did they shut City Hall because of a gap? And why was it a nightmare for designers? There have never been any problems like this in London as far as i'm aware of.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #23
ryantey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
As I said in the subway bashing thread Singapore is a little bit strange about the gap in the MRT: I didn't see any curved platforms (are there any?) but in the train there is a "please mind the gap" annoucement before every station. Quite boring in fact.
It is because last time, there was a man whose leg getting stuck into the gap between the train and platform at City Hall station when people were rushing into the train. It caused the Eastbound train service to Pasir Ris to delay for 30 mins. Moreover, On January 27 2007, a woman in her 50s got her leg stuck in the gap between the train and the platform and fractured her leg. This happened at 8.27 am and caused delays in service between Queenstown station and Jurong East station.
As a result, for the sake of commuters' safety, a "Please mind the platform gap" announcement introduced. At the beginning, the announcement is played at every station after announcing the station name. However, nowadays, such an announcement can only be heard in Underground stations and NOT the elevated stations.

HK MTR also got such kind of announcement in three languages: Cantonese, Chinese and English but it is sometimes played when the train reached the station.
ryantey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #24
ryantey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

I dun feel that the announcement is annoying and irritating. As long as the voice of the announcement is pleasant, it would be okay for me. Moreover,those announcements are to remind passengers and commuters for the sake of their safety. I don't find any bad points at all for those frequent announcements.
ryantey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #25
Augusto

Quote:
Why did they shut City Hall because of a gap?
City Hall was on a sharp loop. So the platforms were not suitable for train with longer carriages. And if I'm not wrong the platforms were too short for longer trains also.
Quote:
And why was it a nightmare for designers? There have never been any problems like this in London as far as i'm aware of.
Probably because in London you don't use "walk-through" trains. In Paris all the new trains are walk-through and in Bastille's curve the part between the carriages (what the correct word for that?) is really mistreated. At least 3 differents manufacters have been tried during the MP89 stock tests. The maintenance costs are high. Of course, with the old trains it was not a problem.
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #26
Augusto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantey View Post
I don't find any bad points at all for those frequent announcements.
Annoucements are a good thing. But I thing people don't pray anymore attention to a continious flow of anouncements.
Old June 14th, 2007, 10:15 PM   #27
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantey
It is because last time, there was a man whose leg getting stuck into the gap between the train and platform at City Hall station when people were rushing into the train. It caused the Eastbound train service to Pasir Ris to delay for 30 mins. Moreover, On January 27 2007, a woman in her 50s got her leg stuck in the gap between the train and the platform and fractured her leg. This happened at 8.27 am and caused delays in service between Queenstown station and Jurong East station.
How an earth can someone get their leg stuck in a gap? I thought the stations were all straight. Is his leg the size of a doll's?! I can't believe someone could be so thick personally...

And a 30 minutes delay because someone's leg got stuck is a bit ridiculous... But personally i'd rather have a 30 minute delay once in a while then having to listen to that bloody annoying announcement on every single journey.

Quote:
City Hall was on a sharp loop. So the platforms were not suitable for train with longer carriages. And if I'm not wrong the platforms were too short for longer trains also.

Probably because in London you don't use "walk-through" trains. In Paris all the new trains are walk-through and in Bastille's curve the part between the carriages (what the correct word for that?) is really mistreated. At least 3 differents manufacters have been tried during the MP89 stock tests. The maintenance costs are high. Of course, with the old trains it was not a problem.
Not long left though, in 2009 I believe the first entirely "walk-through" train will be delivered for the Metropolitan line, and later be implemented on the Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines but with one less carriage per train. There are A LOT of stations with gaps on the southern side of the Circle and District lines so i'd imagine this would be a problem...
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #28
IU
->

The metro in Delhi[India] doesnt have a big gap. This pic should give a good idea-

Copyright magestom
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #29
iampuking

Yawn. Are there any gaps bigger than this?

image hosted on flickr
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:56 AM   #30
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Huge gaps in Hamburg:

micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #31
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

I can't find any pics with trains, but this photo showing the curve at Waterloo (Bakerloo Line) gives an idea of what we have to contend with:

There are huge gaps here, Embankment Northern Line northbound (used to be part of a reversing loop), and Bank Central Line which I think is probably the very worst of all. The middle doors can be a virtual leap away from the platform... maybe 40-50cm?
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #32
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Bingo! Found one of Bank Central Line. One platform is worse than the other (sharper curve), this photo doesn't really do the gap justice... I think this might be the less bad platform, but even so you can see the chasm between the middle doors and the platform.

Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #33
Minato ku

The only tube station style in Paris (RER B Saint Michel - Notre Dame) has a biggap.

Sorry it is without train

Old July 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #34
micro

Gaps can be dealt with. It's a matter of passenger safety.
  • Trains can have a movable shelves below the doors that protrude from the train edge before doors open. In my opinion the best solution but found only in very few trains of Berlin's S-Bahn.
  • Platform edges can simply have rubber combs attached to them so trains that come close to the platform edge won't be damaged. Found in Hong Kong.
  • Platforms can have a gap filler mechanism (see video of NYC's South Ferry station). Ugly but works well.
  • Platforms with small gaps can at least have flashing edge lights to warn passengers (see video of red neon edge in Hong Kong's KCR).

Last edited by micro; July 15th, 2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #35
iampuking

Or: people could use their brains and... Mind the gap.
Old July 15th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #36
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

The South Ferry Station on the Number 1 train in NYC has an enormous gap.

image hosted on flickr
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #37
iampuking

...But spoiled by those silly bridge things, I hope London never gets those!
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #38
micro

Quote:
Or: people could use their brains and... Mind the gap.
Civilization always had to do with getting rid of dangerous things and making the world more comfortable. This enables people to use their brainpower for more sophisticated things than avoiding wild tigers, starvation, or deadly gaps.

In other words: Right at the moment you are stepping into a metro train you could have an inspiration that lets you invent something that makes the world a better place, like nuclear fusion or a way to prevent climate change. With the gap, you will not invent it because your brain is then busy with minding the gap.
Old July 16th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #39
iampuking

If they're conjuring up the idea of nuclear weapons, let 'em fall!
Old July 16th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #40
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
...But spoiled by those silly bridge things, I hope London never gets those!
but u have to admit that the gaps in London are a bit too huge, the're dangerous. i always knew there are gaps on london tube, i knew this famous 'Mind the gap' but is i rode the tube for the first time, i was really very surprised that THE GAP is sooooo big! it' not a normal thing. those brigdes in NYC look like a sh...t but it's a good idea to not let people fall down.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote