daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old June 28th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #61
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecityofgold View Post
It was an offer of a £50 bet... From the law of contracts: A deal is only a deal if offer is followed by acceptance. A counter offer is no acceptance of the original offer.

So I am declining Bammys offer.

And, apart from anything else, I seriously doubt Bammy would pay out on a £50,000 bet about Eastgate getting built! I know I wouldn't!
I would, but I won't have to. Put me down for 50 then
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 28th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #62
The Longford
Benefit Scrounger

Likes (Received): 7

I actually find gambling demeaning and am morally apposed to it so as they say in Dragons Den - 'I'm out!'
Saved yourself 50 quid TCOG!
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #63
llanfachreth

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I'm clearly not that.. I was brought up in Brum, lived in Manc for 3 years, and have lived in Liverpool for 6. In fact, I'm presenting a dam site more balanced view than most on here..

It's like some Christmas film.. If you wish hard enough it's bound to come true! This is why I posted the bet. Nothing at all has happened for 2 years but still this blind optimism. Yesterday it just frustrated me!

I'm going to close the betting now. You've all had a day so I'm going to be sensible and limit my liabilities. We have the following valid entries in thecityofgold's grand Eastgate gamble:

Longford, JRB, Lachlan, ILanfachreth.

Of course, I was slightly foolish in specifying 5 years.. I can't get paid for 5 years but you can get paid once Eastgate gets built.

Although, in fact, I'd venture that once either of those events have passed none of us will remember the login for our Befair account or even perhaps even be posting on this forum..

I need to work out how Betfair works(!) but if people are still up for it then I am!
I'm defo still up for it, could do with £50
llanfachreth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:05 AM   #64
Cosmo Disney
The Pitchfork Cavalier

Quote:
I'm clearly not that.. I was brought up in Brum, lived in Manc for 3 years, and have lived in Liverpool for 6. In fact, I'm presenting a dam site more balanced view than most on here..

It's like some Christmas film.. If you wish hard enough it's bound to come true! This is why I posted the bet. Nothing at all has happened for 2 years but still this blind optimism. Yesterday it just frustrated me!

I'm going to close the betting now. You've all had a day so I'm going to be sensible and limit my liabilities. We have the following valid entries in thecityofgold's grand Eastgate gamble:

Longford, JRB, Lachlan, ILanfachreth.

Of course, I was slightly foolish in specifying 5 years.. I can't get paid for 5 years but you can get paid once Eastgate gets built.

Although, in fact, I'd venture that once either of those events have passed none of us will remember the login for our Befair account or even perhaps even be posting on this forum..

I need to work out how Betfair works(!) but if people are still up for it then I am!
Your post had the reek of Mancophobic Trollism to me, but I've been known to be wrong.

I had spotted the potential problems with the bet from your POV, but as you say, you made the offer, offer accepted, contract formed, tough titty.

My opinions are not based on groundless optimism though - I will happily relieve you of your £50. And I am happy to accept the assignment of Longford's bet too.
Cosmo Disney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #65
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 49

Imagine what this view could've been if we had the 24 storey Origin proposal built!
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #66
thecityofgold

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Your post had the reek of Mancophobic Trollism to me, but I've been known to be wrong.
You're confusing Mancophobic Trollism with Relentless Realism.

llanfachreth, JRB, Lachlan are all in!

With no reassignment of Longfords bet.
thecityofgold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #67
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 2514

Quote:
You're confusing Mancophobic Trollism with Relentless Realism.

llanfachreth, JRB, Lachlan are all in!

With no reassignment of Longfords bet.
Just to confirm, I'm still in that man. I do pay my bets BTW.
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #68
Martin G
Compulsive : Obsessive

Likes (Received): 40

The renders shown here really DO create the irresistible impression of the building actually giving everybody the finger, seriously. It's so uncanny it's untrue. And I suppose in a way it's quite apt too - it's giving the rest of the competition the proverbial as if to say - "well see if you can beat this!" As everybody knows, Brum threw down the gauntlet ages ago (cos the developers are cheapskate pussies with no ambition) so of course it's now down to the northern cities to seize it with aplomb.

147 metres: so is this the height of Birmingham's ambitions? The city surely deserves better. Arena Central / Arena Square / V Building The incredible shrinking tower: 245m --> 187m --> 175m --> 152m --> 150m --> 147m --> 143m --> ???m
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #69
Martin G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum X View Post
I also think this scheme will go ahead, but at 60 floors and 188M?????
Yes, I firmly believe it will, even if it will take a little longer than most of the Manc scraper-watchers would like. Unlike Brum, Manchester still has the drive to forge upwards and ahead of the rest. That's not something I enjoy saying, believe me, but it is the truth. The day we see a comparable scraper planned for Brum within the next 10 years will be the day I sell my body to Jade Goody.
147 metres: so is this the height of Birmingham's ambitions? The city surely deserves better. Arena Central / Arena Square / V Building The incredible shrinking tower: 245m --> 187m --> 175m --> 152m --> 150m --> 147m --> 143m --> ???m
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #70
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 248

Yes maybe to build tall skyscrapers, but not necessarily the best designs. I think those renders are awful, its looks so grey and dull and just stands their That is my opinion on this 1 building for Manchester, this doesnt mean Martin that i believe Manchester has no ambition for the future, i believe it does, only in a different way to Brum which i think is a good thing.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #71
Martin G

Oh, don't get me wrong, much as the height is undoubtedly impressive, I too find the profile and design extremely dull and a waste of an opportunity to come up with something truly special. I am not a great fan of slab towers anyway, and of course the three most advanced schemes in the city are slabs (four if you count the Hilton).....
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #72
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

I know which building I would choose between this and V Tower all thing sconsidered Martin.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #73
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
I know which building I would choose between this and V Tower all thing sconsidered Martin.
Couldn't agree with you more Elizabeth. V Tower is not a patch on Eastgate.
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #74
Marty(n)Mcfly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piccadilly_Tower

Wikipedia is saying that construction has already begun?! has it? i dont think it has :s I really should learn how to do this, but could somebody either change it or correct me. Merci.
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #75
Chogmook
Mancunian Member

Likes (Received): 49

But us Mancs reiterate this point everytime, slabs give more presence on a skyline and tends to help form a skyline easier.

Brum of course had its slabs in the 50's-70's built in the city centre, which is why you get a more dense looking skyline there, yes Manc has a few from that era also, but not as many and a bit more spaced out.

Once you've got a good skyline form, then you get to see more adventurous and different shaped proposals to give the existing skyline a further identity.

So ok, our 2 known tallest towers are quite blocky, but at least there is something about them that makes them identifiable, such as Beethams Blade and Overhang (do you know of any other building with both?) and Piccadilly Tower's 3 Fingers. The most important thing about these buildings are their functional forms, which is simple and cost effective.

Canary Wharf isn't exactly exciting, but it works and so will these.

The more outlandish the building, the longer the planning process will be usually. Look at the Arena Central fiasco, Criterion Place, Brunswick Quay and to an extent, Simpsons unwanted child that is HCT. (thankfully Snow Hill was increased and you finally have a building for Arena Square, but even that will create another slab sillouette on Brums skyline!)

These buildings in Manc are approved, Beetham is built at full height (although 169m, as the 2m less was because of wind concerns, so doesn't really count), Piccadilly Tower is still 188m

But look at other proposals surfacing, such as the rounded Gravity Tower, which was given a 3 storey height increase to 118m and Crown Tower, which is set to top 160m thanks to a 10 storey height increase (and possible design change), these 2 towers will stand virtually across the roads either side of Piccadilly Tower.

Then look at Beetham, on its own for now, but soon to be joined by 16 and 20 storey office towers (not forgetting the 12 storey one still waiting to be built by Beetham), The West Properties Owen Street towers and Central Spine.

I seriously doubt we'd have these nearby towers at various stages of development if it weren't for Beetham and Piccadilly Tower coming to the fold first.

Look at 1CS, looks great with friends, but wierd on its tod! Give it time and you'll see how well these towers will knit into the fabric of the city.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither will Manc or Brum be.
Old June 30th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #76
jrb
10th February 2008

Quote:
Simpsons unwanted child that is HCT
Is it still an orphan?

Spot on Chogs.
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:19 AM   #77
llanfachreth

http://www.inacitytower.co.uk/

Website is back!
llanfachreth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 01:29 AM   #78
Martin G

To elaborate - Simpson has reportedly "disowned" [or more exactly ceased to discuss anymore] HCT Beetham because it wasn't built to his full height design (having 50m and 6 floors lopped off it because of pathetic CAA restrictions). Completely understandable, of course. But then at the end of the day, it's Birmingham's loss, not Simpsons.
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:00 AM   #79
scproductions

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
YI think those renders are awful, its looks so grey
10 Holloway Circus is blue.

The Empire State Building is brown.

The Chrysler Building is grey/silver.

The Burj Al-Arab is white.

Whats your point?

Quote:
it just stands there
Dancing skyscrapers have not been invented yet.
scproductions no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM   #80
Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by scproductions View Post
Dancing skyscrapers have not been invented yet.
Yes they have, in Dubai, they just haven't built it.
Irwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote