daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Old July 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM   #81
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 232

So why on earth did Mr Simpson build the bloody HCT in Birmingham, i really dont think that he has a gripe that much about the height, otherwise he would of pulled out which he didnt.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 1st, 2007, 05:59 PM   #82
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

Likes (Received): 0

Do you think that Simpson built it?
Old July 1st, 2007, 05:59 PM   #83
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwell View Post
Yes they have, in Dubai, they just haven't built it.
Your avatar is both disturbing and gay!
Old July 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM   #84
Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasteDevil View Post
Your avatar is both disturbing and gay!
I wondered how long it would take someone to comment on that!
Irwell está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:32 AM   #85
buildonomics

More dangerous than gay! I am going into seizure man!
buildonomics no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:43 PM   #86
Brum X
Brum X

Likes (Received): 232

I am just saying that in my opionion it looks awful. But this is my personal opinion, the same that people will have an opinion about other tall buildings.
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:49 PM   #87
FLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin G View Post
..... But then at the end of the day, it's Birmingham's loss, not Simpsons.

.... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh bloody dear! Martin.... are you on a World-wide crusade trying to create enough negativity about Birmingham, in the hope that people with a mind warped enough, will believe you??!!

Martin ...... GET SOME THERAPY! This "issue" seems to be more a problem with you than it does with the people that happen to reside in that city ....... it seems to have consumed you and your mind!!!
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM   #88
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
.... oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, oh bloody dear! Martin.... are you on a World-wide crusade trying to create enough negativity about Birmingham, in the hope that people with a mind warped enough, will believe you??!!

Martin ...... GET SOME THERAPY! This "issue" seems to be more a problem with you than the people that happen to reside in that city ....... it seems to have consumed you and your mind!!!
You're a cockbiscuit though, so bugger off to the Birmingham forum instead of trying to bring your little titty tatty arguments over here.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM   #89
FLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasteDevil View Post
You're a cockbiscuit .. .
... I'm liking that expression, should it be hyphenated, or is it just one word?
FLD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM   #90
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
To elaborate - Simpson has reportedly "disowned" [or more exactly ceased to discuss anymore] HCT Beetham because it wasn't built to his full height design (having 50m and 6 floors lopped off it because of pathetic CAA restrictions). Completely understandable, of course. But then at the end of the day, it's Birmingham's loss, not Simpsons.
It was the then Labour council that didn't challenge the CAA Martin and this was on grounds of the CAA stipulated that no building should exceed a certain height because of air and ground safety.. quite simply how you imagine Birmingham City Council to override a government body is quite entertaining, AND the fact you think it indicates a lack of bottle or grit from "Birmingham" whether it be Council, developers or citizens is even more laughable - what do you propose we do, actually what did YOU do to try and change the High Places document, I know what I did and would like to think it contributed the gradual relaxation of height limits in the city core, you are welcome to pm me to find out.

Fortunately for developers, Birmingham city centre Aerodrome limit has been gradually relaxed (something Manchester has not had to overcome), with the final say now lying in the hands of BIA, the fact we have three huge towers soon to rise on the already impressive skyline is something to be extremely excited about, we also have several others in the pipeline which could quite easily be taller again... and we must not forget the three observation levels at the top of new builds one of which will be at the top a 152 metre high skyscraper and the other as an observation pod in a 175 metre high needle.

The future is very much bright from where I am sitting right now, same with Manchester... both great cities and brilliant that we can all look forward to increasingly interesting skylines.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 08:17 PM   #91
WeasteDevil
Salford Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
... I'm liking that expression, should it be hyphenated, or is it just one word?
No, just one word, Google it.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:47 PM   #92
man med
DJ MedZ

Likes (Received): 101

this thread is going the same way as the last

https://soundcloud.com/deejay-medz
man med no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:13 AM   #93
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 214

which way is that?
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:16 AM   #94
Manc Guy

Likes (Received): 14

down the pan
Manc Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:18 AM   #95
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 214

...the only way is up!
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:34 AM   #96
Martin G
Compulsive : Obsessive

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
three huge towers soon to rise on the already impressive skyline is something to be extremely excited about, we also have several others in the pipeline which could quite easily be taller again...
Huge? Not really. Tall-ish, more like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke View Post
152 metre high skyscraper

Correction = 147 metres - official final height.

Okay - digression over, now back to the original thread subject, if we may.
147 metres: so is this the height of Birmingham's ambitions? The city surely deserves better. Arena Central / Arena Square / V Building The incredible shrinking tower: 245m --> 187m --> 175m --> 152m --> 150m --> 147m --> 143m --> ???m

SimonTheSoundMan liked this post
Martin G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:45 AM   #97
highriser

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4mmy View Post
...the only way is up!
When ( impatiently tapping my fingers )
highriser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 01:51 AM   #98
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Huge? Not really. Tall-ish, more like.

Correction = 147 metres - official final height.

Okay - digression over, now back to the original thread subject, if we may.

sorry Martin, I can see why you like to think you wind up many forumers on the Birmingham threads.

Why do you want to get back to the original thread all of a sudden, is it because you don't want people to ruin this thread.. what? someone ruining a thread that you are following?

I truly apologise to the decent Mancunian forumers here, Martin has all but ruined half a dozen threads in the Birmingham forum with his persistent wasp like irritation.. I would like to follow some of the Manchester schemes but I am actually put off most of the time by one main negative person, Martin.. you're the biggest thorn in Birmingham's side, and Manchester's for that matter, you are now openly ruining various threads by purposely stirring people up, I am no longer interested in your excuses for being such a bore, congratulations, you've finally succeeded in something.

Last edited by Elizabeth Kinoke; July 3rd, 2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:25 AM   #99
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Anyway.. a question that I would ask, which is the scheme that I saw on here a while ago with a turbine incorporated into the design? this was by far the most ambitious skyscraper design in the North IMO.

And is Manchester going the same route as Brum with observation decks on top of some of these proposals, I think it is a good way of drawing in the general public, i.e. the towers are not just for those who can afford the offices, hotels or apartments but all citizens of the city.

Personally in Brum the idea of an observation needle is really exciting, what do we think are the chances of Manchester getting something similar? knowing Manchester they'll probably put a nightclub up there
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:32 AM   #100
TheFly
BANNED

The turbine in the tower was the original 62 storey Greengate proposal, long since dead. it looked too Thunderbirds really. Also I am not sure if anyone thought about the vibration and noise potential so it was really a sketch by a child??

Observation decks are good, although I think they end up looking tatty and boring..eg John Hancock tower, WTC...only the Empire State had the romance, with the stone work adding character...

put a bar/restaurant at the top by all means...keeps the riff raff, skydivers, suicide fallers at bay!!
TheFly no está en línea   Reply With Quote