daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #1
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

MILWAUKEE | Water Street Tower | 40-50 fl | Vis

2007 proposal from Fürer + gas-trust architecture. Their main office is in Gossau, Switzerland and they have a subsidiary office in Milwaukee.

I don't really know anything about this proposal but I do know this - it's awesome.

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #2
Fiddlerontheruf
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

JEEE-SUS.

That building looks impressively tall. I counted about 46 stories, but that was quick count. I don't care for the design, or the fact that it's in the 3rd ward but after 30+ years with the same tallest building I think it's time a new one gets built. Although I doubt this one will.
Fiddlerontheruf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #3
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Our new tallest shouldn't be that particular building. I just don't see all the hype and fanfare this building gets.

I remember some posters complaining about the Moderne looking like UCT/KT combined. Doesn't the white/grey/black parts of this building look like Ruvin's proposal?

Cheesy.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #4
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Our new tallest shouldn't be that particular building. I just don't see all the hype and fanfare this building gets.

I remember some posters complaining about the Moderne looking like UCT/KT combined. Doesn't the white/grey/black parts of this building look like Ruvin's proposal?

Cheesy.
Well brewcity, it looks like you just owned yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcityfan View Post
Honestly I think ever since the Calatrava addition we Milwaukeeians have always expected ultra-super-top notch proposals. It's like nothing (and I mean NOTHING) is ever to our appeasement. Every proposal within the past month (I could probably say the past 4 months) that has shown its lovely facade on our forum has been bashed, ridiculed, and torn apart to nothingness. It's honestly getting a bit annoying.
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #5
NLouisianaJay
american forester

Likes (Received): 0

Building status

Vision or proposal?
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #6
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

How can this one be the potential tallest in the city? US Bank Center may be only 42 stories, but it's a 600 footer. This one doesn't look like it will be that tall. Nonetheless, I love the design. It will be located at Water and what other street?
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:41 AM   #7
NaptownBoy
1981 Civic

Likes (Received): 5

Damn, that bad boy is nice. I hope this one gets built. There's nothing worse than seeing otherwise excellent proposals self-destruct in your face time and time again.
NaptownBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #8
Oshkosh49

Likes (Received): 2

Here's my humble two cents worth. From the rendering it looks like three separate buildings quished together. The "far left" side reminds me of a much shorter version of the John Hancock Tower in Chicago, only with light blue tinted glass instead of the JHT's darker tint. Specifically, the prominent X-bracing as shown in the rendering. The "middle" portion looks like a taller design of Ruvin's proposal as others have stated. And the "far right" side looks like a building that was plucked from another spot in the 3rd Ward and they stuck it right there. My preference would be to use the "far left" design as the overall design for the whole building.

I like the height, of course, duh! But I tend to agree with those that believe this would be better if it was located in a more centralized location of the CBD.

If this rendering illustrates a semi-serious proposal from a European corporation for their Milwaukee/USA headquarters as MM is alluding to, it might stand a better than zero chane of becoming a reality some day. At least it would seem less speculative than other proposals such as LPT or Ghazi's.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:21 AM   #9
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeMark View Post
Well brewcity, it looks like you just owned yourself.
Yes and no, Mark.

This has probably been maybe the 3rd building I've stood to say i don't like. My record for building approvals would be amazing compared to the likes of yourself and a few others.

Milwaukee posters DO over-do it, mostly for the smallest reasons - and then (as we see here) they become complete hypocrits of themselves...... (let's not have a look-a-like building but then support a look-a-like building.... )

When i don't like something, there's generally a reason and I stick to it (Kimpton design I hate, this design I hate, etc, etc)....

I hope that makes sense.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #10
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
And the "far right" side looks like a building that was plucked from another spot in the 3rd Ward and they stuck it right there. My preference would be to use the "far left" design as the overall design for the whole building.
Actually, the far right building was stuck right there several decades ago. It's the existing building next door to what would be the new building (far left and middle) that is envisioned for the adjacent surface parking lot on the southwest corner of N. Water Street and E. St. Paul Avenue.

Quote:
If this rendering illustrates a semi-serious proposal from a European corporation for their Milwaukee/USA headquarters as MM is alluding to, it might stand a better than zero chane of becoming a reality some day. At least it would seem less speculative than other proposals such as LPT or Ghazi's.
There is some confusion here. MilwMark was referring to the architects who designed the building...not any possible corporate tenants/headquarters for the building. The architects have two firms: one in Gossau, Switzerland (Fürer + Gastrau Architektur), and one in Milwaukee (Gastrau Fuerer & Associates...which coincidentally has its offices in part of that historic building on the far right in the rendering).

Last edited by Markitect; June 15th, 2007 at 08:31 AM.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #11
Oshkosh49

Markitect, thanks for clearing up my confusion. Well then, the rendering is just another architecture firm's speculative trial balloon for Milwaukee. I suspect that these firms throw out these design exercises to the public (Like throwing raw meat to the wolves on this website!) to solicit positive feed-back to lure developers.
Old June 15th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #12
Oshkosh49

For me, if the design was primarily patterned after the "left-side" and located in the CBD, I think it would be an awesome addition to Milwaukee's skyline.

Last edited by Oshkosh49; June 15th, 2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #13
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
For me, if the design was primarily patterned after the "left-side" and located in the CBD, I think it would be an awesome addition to Milwaukee's skyline.
Yep. Agreed...like on the block east of the Pfister. There is currently a parking lot on the north side of the block, and if this - or something similar in height - was built there, it would really fill in a key space in the skyline. In fact, wasn't somebody floating an idea for a building at that location a few years back?
Skyking2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:26 PM   #14
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
Yep. Agreed...like on the block east of the Pfister. There is currently a parking lot on the north side of the block, and if this - or something similar in height - was built there, it would really fill in a key space in the skyline. In fact, wasn't somebody floating an idea for a building at that location a few years back?
I think there were discussions, but no formal plans. This would be good for the Milwaukee Athletic Club parking structure on Milwaukee and Wells Street. They were officially looking for developers a year or two ago.
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #15
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1297

whoops, i didn't know this one had its own thread already...........

i love, LOVE, LOVE this design. if only i had a couple hundred million just laying around to foolishly throw at this proejct to make it a reality.

must. build. now.

too bad it's probably just a vision with a snowball's chance in hell of getting off the drawing boards.
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #16
DooMer_MP3

Likes (Received): 124

Isn't that piece of land already slated for a ~15 story hotel?
DooMer_MP3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #17
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooMer_MP3 View Post
Isn't that piece of land already slated for a ~15 story hotel?
No.

This proposal is at the southwest corner of Water/St. Paul. The hotel proposal (Renaissance ClubSport) is proposed for the southeast corner of Broadway/St. Paul.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #18
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

How close is this to 794 if it is pretty close and the LPT is built is think that would look very cool. If some other high rises were built too near this propsed one. Or just some infill around this one I think it would give our skyline a really cool effect looking from the east or west.....

Last edited by miltown; June 17th, 2007 at 09:07 PM.
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #19
MJinOshkosh

Likes (Received): 48

My 2 cents worth says, At least it looks a hell of a lot better than the 700 foot mueseum tower proposed for Louisville KY. And if nothing else, if this tower doesnt get built, at least there is some intrest in building a new tallest for Milwaukee.
MJinOshkosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #20
Dr Dooms Love Child
BANNED

Is the clamour over this building warranted? I of course love it, but do you think Milwaukee has a serious chance at something like this?
Dr Dooms Love Child no está en línea   Reply With Quote