daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2007, 06:36 PM   #321
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I read an article that said concepts of what will happen will be here in September. But maybe I was worng and that article was talking about the WestSide project. Either way, both projects will have supertalls. SOM and Foster are working on thses towers.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:28 PM   #322
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
I read an article that said concepts of what will happen will be here in September. But maybe I was worng and that article was talking about the WestSide project. Either way, both projects will have supertalls. SOM and Foster are working on thses towers.
Several articles stated that preliminary renderings would be released in Sept.
LLoydGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:53 PM   #323
Marijn24

Likes (Received): 0

verry good four nyc!!
Marijn24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:36 AM   #324
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

YAY! I can't wait to see the renderings in September!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:56 AM   #325
Ebola
BANNED

New York is so damn strange right now. Most people think that other cities have/will have a lot of supertalls, but NY is in the process of creating so many of them that we can't keep track of them all. Granted, nothing is going to happen right now, but in the coming years, we're going to see more supertalls than anyone else; there are many megaprojects that hold so much potential. Most people look at NY and think that there will never be more tall buildings except for the WTC.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:05 PM   #326
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1272

Ebola could you be more detailed.This what you said sounds very interesting.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:32 PM   #327
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
New York is so damn strange right now. Most people think that other cities have/will have a lot of supertalls, but NY is in the process of creating so many of them that we can't keep track of them all. Granted, nothing is going to happen right now, but in the coming years, we're going to see more supertalls than anyone else
More than Dubai?

I don't think it's just the number of proposals that dissapoint people, but also the quality. I thought BOA was going to be the best thing that had happened to the New York skyscraper scene in a long time, but it has been quite a big dissapointment to me. And the Freedom Tower, which should be something trully amazing to show that what happened on September 11th and all the other terrorists attack that have happened will never stop the world from turning and advancing, yet it is... well... pretty poor for what it is supposed to be IMO, and I know alot of others feel the same. Design wise, it is not only over shadowed by dozens and dozens of other supertalls, it is also overshadowed by it's two planned neighbours. From what I have seen, many of the proposed New York supertalls are quite boxy and bland, they do look good don't get me wrong, but I haven't really seen anything innovative for New York recently. Maybe that one with lots of boxes stacked on top of each other... I don't really like it, but it could turn out to be excellent when it is done. In short, I just don't think that the world is that impressed anymore with New York's attempts at supertalls when you can see better everywhere else, including in other American cities like Chicago and now San Fran.

But hey, that's just my opinion. I still look forward to seeing them all finished.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM   #328
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6559

agree, NY will not have more than Dubai
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM   #329
Newcastle Guy

I don't think anywhere will have more than Dubai lol.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:55 PM   #330
Robert Stark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
About 4 weeks till we see stuff.

really subtracts from the Empire State Building.
Robert Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:21 PM   #331
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
I don't think anywhere will have more than Dubai lol.
In my opinion, Dubai, Shanghai, and many other world citys are building towers that are over flamboyent, and strictly looking for attention from the world, (note, there are some exceptions in design, like the WFC, but some of the residential towers of Dubai are just downright rediculous.)

New York is beyond all of that as it is a corporate capital, to me New York towers serve a function, rather than trying to draw attention to themselves, and as far as corporate office towers are concerned, no city comes close to New York, (although Hong Kong may run a close second)
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:42 PM   #332
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICONLA1 View Post
New York is beyond all of that as it is a corporate capital, to me New York towers serve a function, rather than trying to draw attention to themselves, and as far as corporate office towers are concerned, no city comes close to New York, (although Hong Kong may run a close second)
The fact is though, from a design point of view, some of the flamboyant towers are trully amazing (some are just tacky and crappy mind) luckily I don't see any tackiness going on in New York, but it is IMO these days missing that little something it used to have, even with corporate buildings, like the Chrysler Building for example, if you catch my meaning. I don't see anything in NYC proposed that is trully amazing or ground breaking. NYC is supposed to be the skyscraper capital of the world, or atleast second to Hong Kong, either way it is right up there. But I don't see any proposals making that statement.

My favourite is probably WTC 3 by Rogers, it has that New York look but it's put an excellent modern spin on it, it is elegant and eye catching. I don't think it is ground breaking for New York, but then it never was supposed to be, it (and it's two sisters also) was always supposed to take a backseat to the Freedom Tower. But IMO it and WTC2 upstage Freedom Tower, which is not a good thing for New York.

The fact is other cities are making buildings, both corporate and residential, that do a hell of alot more for their particular cities than the New York ones do for theirs. There are some very nice New York projects, and many probably will be up their in terms of quality (cladding etc...) but I just don't see anything that's 'out of the box' for New York at the moment. Again, BOA could have been, but it is ruined by it's cladding in my eyes. It will look good when finished, but nothing like in the renders sadly...
Old August 23rd, 2007, 10:28 PM   #333
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13297

I totally agree with you Newcastle Guy.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:05 PM   #334
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
That's because I'm right

Nah, I don't have anything against the city, and I do like it's supertall proposals, some of them very much. But alot of cities, and certainly the other world cities, offer better at this moment in time. Anyway, thanks Will.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:08 PM   #335
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
And for the most part I also agree, David Childs is in my opinion the worst SOM design principle architect, and if i had it my way, I would add 25 floors to Foster's WTC tower 2, making it the apex of the project, but at least with Foster involved in this project, we could be in store for something, to put in your terms "out of the box"
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:26 PM   #336
Ebola
BANNED

You haven't see anything yet. At this moment in time, there is not much to see besides the WTC, and the WTC is merely a dot compared to what is to come. As for this project, Foster is on it, so don't expect to be let down. This project will likely give 3 supertalls to the skyline.
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #337
nygirl

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
And for the most part I also agree, David Childs is in my opinion the worst SOM design principle architect, and if i had it my way, I would add 25 floors to Foster's WTC tower 2, making it the apex of the project, but at least with Foster involved in this project, we could be in store for something, to put in your terms "out of the box"
I'm down for this idea.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #338
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Yeah, and I would heighten Rogers tower too. I love that tower. I would possibly send Maki's in for a redesign and have something more like the Leadenhall building that would slope down away from Rogers WTC3.

Quote:
You haven't see anything yet. At this moment in time, there is not much to see besides the WTC, and the WTC is merely a dot compared to what is to come. As for this project, Foster is on it, so don't expect to be let down. This project will likely give 3 supertalls to the skyline.
I look forward to seeing renders very much
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #339
nygirl

Likes (Received): 432

Leadenhall for tower 4? You got a deal!

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #340
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
Leadenhall for tower 4? You got a deal!
It would have to have 40m (well, 80m if the others had been heightened) plonked on top though so it could provide more of a step down, that would really finish off the development