daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #381
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

so difficult to wait for renders.... please make them public!!!
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #382
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

The importance of the Midtown Towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex537 View Post
No way, the new twin towers are way better.
I agree.....these 'potential' towers are crucial in re-claiming the skyline of NYC. Although I like the design and look of the Freedom tower complex better than the original towers, they're not tall enough....not in this age with the massive towers going up in Dubai/Shanghai/Chicago/Hong Kong. I think these potential towers will give many people the result that they had hoped the Freedom Tower would. If these towers are approved at 1500 ft. or higher, the NY skyline, in my opinion, will be untouchable. The density that already exists combined with two 1500+ buildings in Midtown west along with the three 1000+ towers in the Freedom and the huge cluster of buildings in Midtown/Downtown, will usher in a new era for NYC.
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:28 AM   #383
Cadillac

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
I agree.....these 'potential' towers are crucial in re-claiming the skyline of NYC. Although I like the design and look of the Freedom tower complex better than the original towers, they're not tall enough....not in this age with the massive towers going up in Dubai/Shanghai/Chicago/Hong Kong. I think these potential towers will give many people the result that they had hoped the Freedom Tower would. If these towers are approved at 1500 ft. or higher, the NY skyline, in my opinion, will be untouchable. The density that already exists combined with two 1500+ buildings in Midtown west along with the three 1000+ towers in the Freedom and the huge cluster of buildings in Midtown/Downtown, will usher in a new era for NYC.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Cadillac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #384
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

I hate to be a render-*****, but this is agonizing.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:28 AM   #385
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

my anticipation of this plan's unveiling ranks right up there with the sox/yanks series and ea's SKATE for the month of september.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #386
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNYC View Post
I hate to be a render-*****, but this is agonizing.
I feel so concerned by this!!!
Old September 10th, 2007, 01:30 PM   #387
Jude12
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 43

what? no renders yet? they said on September.
Jude12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 03:17 PM   #388
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
I dont think its a competition. you can walk around NYC and find 800,900,1000 foot skyscrapers from the 1930s!! where else can you say that??
we shouldnt try to compete with other countries in terms of towers. its a scyscraper world now.think about it- every booming city wants a 300m, 400m+ tower...or so it seems.
NYC is a mature skyline and Im happy the way it is.

Last edited by Rizzato; September 10th, 2007 at 05:31 PM.
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #389
SheistbugzzNY

Likes (Received): 0

yup,yup
SheistbugzzNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #390
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the chances that these will surpass 1,500 feet are close to nil.
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #391
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5227

I still waiting..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #392
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Damn they need to hurry with those renders...
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #393
NYguy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoydGeorge View Post
NY also is one of the few cities in which zoning law limits the height of a structure on each parcel of land.
There's no height limit on these towers, or most towers that go up in New York. Like most developments in the city, these towers are limited by size. There's about 5.5 msf of space. Being primarily an office development, these towers will have larger floorplates. The floors could be pushed higher, but that would mean smaller floorplates and unnecessary costs added with no extra benefits (companies looking for large amounts of space aren't looking for smaller floors). On the other hand, towers with primarily residential or hotel space can push upwards. In fact, most of the taller towers being built around the world today are primarily hotel and residential. Big difference.
NYguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #394
NYguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentient Seas View Post
Damn they need to hurry with those renders...
There has been no final agreement/decision made on exactly where the office space will be built (either on top of Penn Station, or on nearby sites). Until that's done, we won't get renderings.

Still, this quote from an article in the NY Times...
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/ar...erland&emc=rss

Architectural Shifts, Global and Local

By NICOLAI OUROUSSOFF
September 9, 2007

New Yorkers will see several major nonmuseum projects getting under way this season, and these could bring about the biggest shift in decades in the city’s physical identity.

The most startling is a $14 billion plan by the developers Stephen M. Ross and Steven Roth to rebuild a swath of Midtown that includes Madison Square Garden, Pennsylvania Station and the James A. Farley post office. The plan is to be released in the fall, and hanging in the balance is the fate of the old Penn Station.

Another huge project is the $4 billion Atlantic Yards development in Brooklyn, and Frank Gehry will soon unveil his redesign of its first phase, so it will soon become clear whether Brooklyn will receive a dazzling 21st-century version of Rockefeller Center or a conventional retail-entertainment-sports complex inside a pretty architectural wrapper.

Meanwhile take a minute to look up. A new Jean Nouvel tower in midtown. A Richard Meier apartment block in Brooklyn. The relentless march of luxury residential towers never ceases to redefine the city skyline.
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #395
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

^
no renderings?

bummer....
Old September 12th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #396
NYguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos123 View Post
^
no renderings?

bummer....

No renderings, but the layout of the last (current) proposal goes like this:

Old September 12th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #397
NYguy

http://newpennstation.org/site/

The Shroud Drops on the Farley Post Office

Submitted by Rob Johnston on Tue, 2007-09-11

Rolando Pujol at the AM New York Subway Tracker blog reports that the black shroud surrounding the Farley Post Office building has been dropped. The scaffolding is still in place, but the building and its record-setting colonnade can be seen through the structure. Rumor says the developers' plans will be shared shortly after the building is exposed, so stay tuned for the unveiling of the newest plans.

http://weblogs.amny.com/news/local/t...ig_reveal.html

The big reveal

It's been fairly quiet of late on the Moynihan Station beat, but there is now a tangible sign of progress. The James A. Farley Post Office building has long been under wraps during rehabilitation of its facade, but the work is clearly moving along. The block-long shroud that covered the Eighth Avenue facade is gone, revealing only scaffolding and views of the building's landmark decorative work, including that impressive colonnade. The stairs -- always a mad scene on tax day, April 15 -- are still largely inaccessible except through narrow sheltered corridors that lead to the grand lobby.

One day, we've been long told, this will be Moynihan Station, a worthy successor to the original Penn Station that once proudly stood across the street.

-- Rolando Pujol

Old September 13th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #398
nygirl

Likes (Received): 432

Hey Nyguy!! Welcome to SSC.. it's a real pleasure to have you over here, thanks for all the article coverage on ssp and we sure could use it over here as well.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:08 AM   #399
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

^
i walked by the post office today and let me tell ya!!! IT LOOKS MAVOULUS!! the facade looks brand new ...so beautiful, they did an incredible job...shines like a new penny!!!
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #400
nygirl

Likes (Received): 432

Yup I was by the Farley today around 2:45 and i concur. Certainly was a spectacle too I saw quite a few people taking pictures. Can't wait for the future Carlos. That's all I gotta say.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote