daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #421
AleBoy

Likes (Received): 2

Penn Station development won't cause all angles of the ESB to be obscured. ESB isn't good looking anyway. Too many straight lines. its spire is a little rugged you could say. it looks accidental.

I am now bracing myself. Admitting you don't like ESB is like admitting you don't lik the Godfather...
AleBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #422
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

I don't like The Godfather. Way overrated movie.
Part II was better besides that.

I know I'll be alone to think that so don't bother picking on me for this one....
Old September 20th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #423
Nike12
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleBoy View Post
Penn Station development won't cause all angles of the ESB to be obscured. ESB isn't good looking anyway. Too many straight lines. its spire is a little rugged you could say. it looks accidental.

I am now bracing myself. Admitting you don't like ESB is like admitting you don't lik the Godfather...
I like it but i think it's over rated. Even if these towers do block it from view it's still going to be there. It's not like it won't exist.
Nike12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #424
SheistbugzzNY

Likes (Received): 0

yea. esb is one of my favoritest towers though. but ill be ok if a buikding is in the way. are you sure that there are gonna be renders this month or is it a maybe. im too anxious.
SheistbugzzNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #425
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

I think we can rule out renders for this month. Maybe by the end of this year, but with this little info it's hard to say.
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #426
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

I think this project is just far enough from the ESB, the question i have, is David Childs' the design principle of SOM's tower,?

Also, several post's ago there is a rendering that has a green belt running thru the center of a "canyon" of 30 to 80 story buildings, ending with this project. That rendering, esp. if all the towers were approved, and actually designed, would be awesome. The idea of a green belt between two meandering "Canyon" walls of 10 million sq. ft. of office towers,almost boggles the mind, twice the size of the Century City project, here in Los Angeles, which, i'm sorry to say started in 1966, and the last remaining actual building site, (the 34 story MGM tower) was compleated in 2001.

Or put another way, a 25 year buildout.!!!
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #427
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICONLA1 View Post
Also, several post's ago there is a rendering that has a green belt running thru the center of a "canyon" of 30 to 80 story buildings, ending with this project. That rendering, esp. if all the towers were approved, and actually designed, would be awesome. The idea of a green belt between two meandering "Canyon" walls of 10 million sq. ft. of office towers,almost boggles the mind,
theres a a render of the hudson yards development with the high line running through it (iirc) and it's just as you described too
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 10:57 PM   #428
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

BAD NEWS................Read on........

TOWER PLAY AT FARLEY STATION

By TOM TOPOUSIS

September 21, 2007 -- State officials reviewing a proposal to convert the Farley Post Office into a train station and a home for a new Madison Square Garden said yesterday they want to drop plans to build two enormous office towers on the arena's current site.

Instead, planners are looking to have the proposed 4.5 million square feet of office space "sprinkled" across the surrounding Midtown neighborhood, said Pat Foye, chairman of the Empire State Development Corp.

The state has been reviewing a proposal by a consortium of developers to create the Moynihan Station inside the Eighth Avenue side of the Farley Post Office, while moving the Garden into the Ninth Avenue side of the postal building.

Developers had proposed building the towers above the site where the Garden now sits, as well as a third tower across the street. The plan included a major renovation of Penn Station.

Foye told members of the New York Building Congress that shifting the office space proposed for the two towers to sites around Penn Station "will mean less disruption to commuters, fewer financial risks, and it will tie the development around Moynihan Station to the demands of the market."

Foye said the change has the approval of the two developers on the project, the Related Companies and Vornado Realty.

A $900 million plan to convert the post-office building into a new rail station, hotel and retail complex was blocked late last year when Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver would not use his vote on the Public Authorities Control Board to give it final approval.

[email protected]

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09212007...ey_station.htm
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:03 PM   #429
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

What douches, just as I expected, but even if this plan doesn't go anywhere there are still going to be plenty of new supertalls going to up up in NY besides the WTC.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:03 PM   #430
NoAllegiance
Allegiance Aint What I Do

Likes (Received): 9

Ow!

Ouch.... that puts a bit of a damper on things. Oh well. I guess we'll survive though.
"There are new sights in the sky. Twenty years ago, when one gazed at the heavens, one would see the stars, the moon, the sun, clouds and an occasional comet or two. Now, however, here in the streets of New York City, a few neighbors have moved in. These are made, not of gasses nor water nor dust, but of steel and stone and concrete. These neighbors are not carved by the hands of nature, but by the hands of men. These neighbors are buildings that scrape the sky." -1930's quote, author unknown.
NoAllegiance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM   #431
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

oooooooow........boooooooooo!!!!
o well i guess.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 02:50 AM   #432
SheistbugzzNY

not reqally suprised
Old September 22nd, 2007, 03:21 AM   #433
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

thread closed lol
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 03:30 AM   #434
Ebola
BANNED

It doesn't mean the peoject is dead. Weird stuff always happens. There is a chance this will happen, but not for a few years. While we wait, there will be lots of other supertalls too.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 03:54 AM   #435
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Even if these towers aren't built that doesn't mean it's the end of all supertall proposals for the city. This city will get higher buildings than the ESB, whether some people like it or not.
koolkid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2007, 04:01 AM   #436
Ebola
BANNED

Yep, there's a lot of stuff on the drawing board right now (aside from the WTC). The shittiest thing about NYC is getting these supertalls approved, but once that's done, nothing will stop em'.
Old September 22nd, 2007, 04:53 AM   #437
Route

Likes (Received): 8

This sucks!
Old September 22nd, 2007, 07:00 AM   #438
SheistbugzzNY

oo there are a lot of other things that cud stop em after theyre approved. maybe not permenatley theyll be delayed like wtc. the people the govt, congestion alot more all affect it. wut a drag
Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:20 PM   #439
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

How cool is that? goddamn its congestion? they have to be shitting me
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2007, 12:09 AM   #440
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

this tread should be meved to Cancelled section
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote