daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #461
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

I don't believe it's totally cancelled, they just have to come up with a new plan, this happens to proposed projects all the time, its obvious as to what could be built on or around the site, so the developer took a shot, and the city shot some of the proposal down, now (if the developer is really serious) they will come up with a new plan, and with SOM and Foster involved, (if they still are?) the plan could still be grand.

Many developers submit first proposals to see where city and local groups stand with development in the chosen area, to garner more definitive guidelines and perameters of development.

Plus the fact that other large development(s) are adjacent to this one, this could be in the planning stages for several years.

So the question becomes, how serious is Vernado development.

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #462
JACK NAPIER
"Think about the future!"

Likes (Received): 5

This was a preliminary rendering of the two towers that slipped out in Q2.

These towers would be perfect for the 3 million square ft. Merrill Lynch is demanding.
Old September 29th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #463
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Alas, this is the slowest project you'll ever see in New York; even if the three supertalls get approved and all the plans are OK'd, it will be at least 4 years before groundbreaking on the towers, maybe 6 years. The good news is that Foster seems to be on this project and we'll have the WTC to watch as we wait for this and all of the other supertalls in the area. Midtown is going to be seening at least half a dozen new supertalls within these coming years.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #464
Phobos

The tallest tower seems a lot like FT.Thanks god that's just a preliminary design.
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:23 PM   #465
Ebola
BANNED

That's because the guy who designed Freedom Tower helped to design this project.

Well, well, well, you can say twin Freedom Towers are going to be built!
Old September 29th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #466
Phobos

^yeah,twin separated towers...thats sad isn't it?
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #467
kingsdl76

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK NAPIER View Post

These towers would be perfect for the 3 million square ft. Merrill Lynch is demanding.
I think that would look pretty sweet. Man I hope this proposal gets re-proposed and approved!!!....lol. No but seriously, I do.
kingsdl76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #468
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

This sounds really stupid i know, but for the longest time I thought MSG is actually shaped like a square (partly coz Futurama has a Madison Cube Garden and it's shaped like a cube), so everytime I'm at the top of ESB I look for it but I don't find it. And I just assume the real MSG I was looking at as some other ugly municipal crap waiting for gentrification :-p I guess it's coming true now regardless.
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:27 AM   #469
SheistbugzzNY

Likes (Received): 0

ha, i hope it gets approved. 2 1500 ft twin towers with no spires, wud be so great.!
SheistbugzzNY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:54 AM   #470
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK NAPIER View Post

This tower looks exactly like the Freedom Tower.. i love it.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:32 AM   #471
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Midtown is going to be seening at least half a dozen new supertalls within these coming years.
Uh . . . how do you figure?
depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM   #472
GOL2007

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytimothy View Post
ugly municipal crap waiting for gentrification

I've read some stuff in newspapers that not everyone in new york is so happy about 'gentrification'... I'm not living in NY but an island just for the rich... hmmm... let's keep the healthy people-mix which there is nowadays, shouldn't we? A city needs it's crappy, poor, bubbling parts as well...
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM   #473
Lusitania
Luxury and Speed

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
^yeah,twin separated towers...thats sad isn't it?
Actually when you think about it, that's quite an idea. Its certainly never been done before, something like that may actually look rather interesting, but it would rather depend on how far apart the buildings will be.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:12 PM   #474
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

And how big the towers are of course, but you're spot on there! That could be such a great concept!
Imagine quadruple towers bordering a city: North, South, East, West.

About the matter athands, I don't think the rendering we have here IS a rendering. Those are just two parallelepipeds which sole purpose is to give us a hint of the impact the towers will have.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM   #475
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

I know the new penn station is still being planned but however Im not really sure about the rest of the project theyve already built numerous new condos along 42nd street so wherever it goes it will go.
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:30 PM   #476
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

What happened? I thought it was cancelled.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM   #477
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

it is not cancelled totally. we can only wait to hear some news
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM   #478
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
it is not cancelled totally. we can only wait to hear some news
It's not cancelled at all. Vornado has invested a lot of money in this project. Instead, air rights for the 4.5M square feet of towers that were to be built on the site of MSG (over railtracks) will be transferred to plots adjacent to the site that Vornado owns.
LLoydGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 01:28 AM   #479
Ebola
BANNED

Maybe if we get lucky we can avoid all the waiting crap because the air rights have been moved and maybe they'll build supertalls at the other site.
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #480
LLoydGeorge
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

The Lonely Fight For The Hotel Pennsylvania
A hacker and his compatriots stand athwart an old hotel’s demolition and everything they say it represents. Will a development-mad city hear them?

by Chris Shott

Published: October 9, 2007

Tags: Real Estate, Hotel Pennsylvania
This article was published in the October 15, 2007, edition of The New York Observer.

Chris Krupnik
Vornado Realty Trust wants to demolish the Hotel Pennsylvania and build an office tower almost as big as the Empire State Building.
More from Tales of Retail

The Lonely Fight For The Hotel Pennsylvania
Listen, Sonny! Old Fogeys School Ivan Kane on the New New York
Bed Bugs Steal New Yorker Hotel’s Renovation Thunder
What’s Causing All the Noise at Stereo?
See on one page >

Gregory Jones was welling up. “As of Monday, scaffolding went up around the hotel,” he said, pausing. “I get a little emotional,” he sobbed. “Friends of mine work at this hotel. It means a great deal to me.”

Mr. Jones, a big burly guy with a shaved head, a goatee and a soft spot for antiquated accommodations, was speaking to a panel of elders from the local community board last week about the fate of his cherished Hotel Pennsylvania.

Voracious developer Vornado Realty Trust, which owns the ancient lodge on Seventh Avenue—along with several adjacent lots—has threatened to demolish the 22-story Beaux-Arts structure, built in 1919, and erect in its place by 2011 an enormous office tower rivaling the size of the Empire State Building.
The smashing hotel redevelopment plan is merely part of a far grander scheme to reconstruct, reconfigure and polish to a Grand Central–like shine the entire surrounding area, from the old Farley Post Office to Madison Square Garden and Penn Station below to the Manhattan Mall.

As the first metal beams of a new construction shed went up around the hotel last week—a sign of forthcoming improvements, not implosion, if you believe the hotel’s Oct. 4 press release—Mr. Jones, 38, a nearby 30th Street neighbor, rushed to lobby local officials: Tell Vornado, he pleaded, leave Hotel Pennsylvania alone!

“How much more do we have to sacrifice in our history for progress?” asked Mr. Jones, who has formally requested an historic evaluation of the McKim, Mead & White–designed building by the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission.

“If we can get this building landmarked,” he said, “they can’t touch it.”

That’s a pretty big if.

Decades ago, legendary preservationist Jane Jacobs spearheaded massive demonstrations to protect another McKim, Mead & White creation, the original Penn Station, which once stood stoic across the street. That didn’t stop developers, who ruefully razed the beloved hub in 1963.

Mr. Jones’ neo-Jacobsian revival, titled “Save The Hotel,” hasn’t generated quite the same level of public outcry.

“I have been talking to a lot of people and gotten very little interest in the Pennsylvania Hotel,” noted community board member Joyce Matz, who nonetheless volunteered to research the hotel’s history and report back to the neighborhood advisory group next month. “I don’t honestly know how worthy it is to save.”

ONCE A GLAMOROUS DESTINATION where jazz standouts Count Basie and Duke Ellington performed in the grand ballroom—a place immortalized (along with its phone number) by the Glenn Miller tune “Pennsylvania 6-5000”—the 1,700-room hotel has since devolved into a cheap, decrepit tourist trap more commonly associated with reported bedbug attacks than big-band nostalgia.

Preservationists citywide have responded to Vornado’s proposed demolition with a resounding “Eh.”
LLoydGeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote