daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2015, 08:32 PM   #2321
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Cisalpino trains were routinely cancelled

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #2322
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

Quote:
Let's not exaggerate - it does happen sometimes and in fact it has happened more often recently. If you don't commute with a train every day like I do you could be lucky for a very long time because it still is relatively rare. In the last 6 years I've been delayed by more than 1 h three times (train broke down once and two times there were suicides).
How do I exaggerate? nowhere did I claim trains are never late. I merely stated that I believe I have never experienced any noticable delay. And while I was never daily commuter, I used to work there and was a regular rail user and I still use trains when I visit. Your anecdotal evidence supports my claim. Try being a daily rail user in Holland or Germany and see how that goes.

Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 11:34 PM   #2323
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

Quote:
but not for the reasons you claim.

Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 01:53 AM   #2324
steple

Likes (Received): 1142

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=558340&nseq=3
Georg Trüb, December 13, 2015, Zürich
Long and heavy 10 car "IC2000" double deck train, reinforced with 3 standard cars type IV, on the 2.7 % grade of the Letzigraben bridge between Zürich main station and Zürich Altstetten. Such heavy trains like the IC 712 from St. Gallen to Geneva Airport have now two Re 460 locomotives top and tail, running in multiple. The grade from the new underground through tracks 31-34 in Zürich towards Altstetten is up to 4.0 %!

Manolo_B2, dimlys1994, DingeZ, vigiliant, Vaud and 3 others liked this post
steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:53 PM   #2325
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=558583&nseq=0
Georg Trüb, December 11, 2015, Bern
Bern, capital of Switzerland, during the "Blue Hour", with house of parliament, seat of the Swiss government (Federal Council) and the parliament (National Council and Council of States). In the foreground double deck train RABe 511 is crossing the large, 47 meter high 4 tracks Lorraine viaduct over the Aare river, built in 1941, with a main span of 150 meter. In the background the Gurten hill and behind the 2190 meter high Stockhorn with a light on the top.
Old December 17th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #2326
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

This guy really knows how to do it...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #2327
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...55183&nseq=110
Georg Trüb, October 20, 2015, between Stablini and Alp Grüm
"Allegra" ABe 8/12 # 3503 with train 1632 Tirano - St. Moritz is rounding the very tight 180 degree Stablini curve, seen from the Belvedere restaurant above Alp Grüm. In the background the Cavaglia plane.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 02:55 AM   #2328
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by steple View Post

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=558340&nseq=3
Georg Trüb, December 13, 2015, Zürich
Long and heavy 10 car "IC2000" double deck train, reinforced with 3 standard cars type IV, on the 2.7 % grade of the Letzigraben bridge between Zürich main station and Zürich Altstetten. Such heavy trains like the IC 712 from St. Gallen to Geneva Airport have now two Re 460 locomotives top and tail, running in multiple. The grade from the new underground through tracks 31-34 in Zürich towards Altstetten is up to 4.0 %!
Why do they run a mix of single and double decker cars?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 04:12 AM   #2329
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
To cope with extra traffic?
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 07:46 AM   #2330
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Let's not exaggerate - it does happen sometimes and in fact it has happened more often recently. If you don't commute with a train every day like I do you could be lucky for a very long time because it still is relatively rare. In the last 6 years I've been delayed by more than 1 h three times (train broke down once and two times there were suicides).
That's my experience tool. I often say that SBB doesn't mess up things often, but when they do, it's often in a big way.

I've commuted Bern - Zürich for 3 years, and Bern - Basel for 2 years, and the every year there were indeed a couple of times when a train got delayed so much I noticed it. Once stuck on a train to Basel for two hours (while my collegues were being told in an extraordinary employee meeting that the company was bankrupt and we were all out of a job) and once I returnd to Bern via Luzern as there was an interruption in Dietikon, and I wasn't realy intending to wait for it to get resolved, so I just traveller around it...

And there is of course the infamous June 22nd, 2005...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 07:49 AM   #2331
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Usually when an international train gets cancelled or delayed the SBB will put in place a a replacement train for it's domestic section. This happens a lot with ICEs on Basel - Interlaken and Basel - Zürich. and is also done on the Gotthard. For a while all Cisalpino's had a train shadowing them, so that domestic passengers were not inconvenienced if Trenitalia _again_ made a train leave Milano late.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 07:51 AM   #2332
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
That is common practice in Switzerland. The basic consist on Geneve - st. Gallen and Brig - Romanshorn IC services is 9 or 10 IC2000 cars. During rush hour a "module" is added, usually consiting of EWIV cars, and in a few cases even a second locomotive.
If SBB had enough IC2000 cars they would add double deck modules. They will do this once the Twindexx sets enter service.
Old December 22nd, 2015, 08:00 AM   #2333
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

The basic configuration of these IC is a Re 460 loco with around 10 double deck (dd) coaches. At peak times, a group with one or two single deck (sd) plus one sd driving trailer is added. These small group of coaches are usually kept in yards coupled ready to be added at peak times. The result is:

loco + dd coaches + dd driving trailer + sd coaches + sd driving trailer

On heavier trains a second loco is needed, and this is usually placed on the other end of the train (not in the middle):

loco + dd coaches + dd driving trailer + sd driving trailer + sd coaches + loco (as in the photo above)

There is at least one evening IC on the Brig-Bern route scheduled to use two groups of peak hour single deck coaches, instead of a standard set of single or double deck coaches. So the result is:

loco + coach + coach + driving trailer + coach + driving trailer (likely each with its own conductor/train manager)

The driving trailers don't have a gangway on one side, so each group of coaches is isolated from the other.

These dd coaches have gangways on the second floor, not at the standard height as the sd coaches. So when sometimes dd coaches are not available they are replaced by sd coaches without pass-through connection. I have seen a photo of a train composed of a group of dd coaches, a single sd driving trailer, two sd coaches and a sd driving trailer. In this case, there are even 3 groups of coaches, with the driving trailer in the middle without pass-through connection with any of the adjacent coaches.

Another curious configuration is loco + sd driving trailer + sd coaches: this is rarely used on the Gotthard line. As on this line there are limitations to driving trailers because of steepness and tight curves, even when a driving trailer is present in the consist, the loco usually run round at the terminus, and the driving trailer is not used to drive the train. Obviously this happens rarely, as driving trailers are needed elsewhere and are not used on the Gotthard. But if this happens, they are usually towed, and not pushed by the loco.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2015, 01:42 PM   #2334
K_

There is even one train run with a double DD consist: The 0:02 IC 842 from Zürich to Bern. Probably the longest train in the current schedule: A total of 16!! IC2000 coaches and 2 loco's. However, only one of the consists is open to the public, and given the late time I suppose it's just a way for SBB to save themselves and emtpy movement.
Old December 23rd, 2015, 05:34 AM   #2335
hammersklavier
Feral

Likes (Received): 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
There is even one train run with a double DD consist: The 0:02 IC 842 from Zürich to Bern. Probably the longest train in the current schedule: A total of 16!! IC2000 coaches and 2 loco's. However, only one of the consists is open to the public, and given the late time I suppose it's just a way for SBB to save themselves and emtpy movement.
The technical term for a non-revenue move is "deadhead". This word can be used as a noun or a verb:

- "It's a scheduled deadhead move"
- "I caught SBB deadheading a string of EMU's through Zürich Hbf the other day"

Wilhem275 liked this post
hammersklavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 07:32 AM   #2336
N830MH

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
To cope with extra traffic?

Yes, too many traffic. That's a problem. Staying away from Zurich.
N830MH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #2337
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=559648&nseq=9
Georg Trüb, December 24, 2015, between Elgg and Schottikon
Re 430 351 (Re 4/4 III 11351) is pulling mail train 50920 from Gossau to Zürich Mülligen between Elgg and Schottikon. The swiss post "Die Post" gets 55 new Habbiillnss freight cars with sliding doors from car builder Niesky/Germany, rented from Wascosa. 4 of this brand new cars are behind the locomotive, transporting letters in roll containers.
Old January 3rd, 2016, 03:16 PM   #2338
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=560497&nseq=8
Georg Trüb, January 01, 2016, between Rigi Staffel and Rigi Kulm
New year morning on the Rigi, called "King of Mountains". Cogwheel push pull train with cab car Bt # 21 and railcar BDhe 2/4 # 11 (built by SLM and SAAS in 1949) with Pilatus mountain in the background and the sea of fog in the valley.
Old January 7th, 2016, 12:02 AM   #2339
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/561100
Georg Trüb, January 05, 2016, between Bettlach and Selzach
Test run for pantograph measuring with the new double deck Intercity train "Twindexx Swiss Express" RABe 502 # 203 from Bombardier for the SBB, between Solothurn and Grenchen Süd.

webeagle12 liked this post
steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2016, 11:03 PM   #2340
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...560938&nseq=17
Georg Trüb, January 04, 2016, Lausanne
The Lausanne train station has one of the most beautiful platform halls, effectively illuminated in the blue hour. The construction of the hall, finished in March 1912, is a team work of Bosshard from Näfels, Buss AG from Basel and Schweizer from Albisrieden, Zürich. The single-bay hall with a dimension of 200 meter to 44 meter has a span of 30 meter over 6 tracks / 3 platforms and was renovated with new illumination in 2005.

Tags
basel, zurich