daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2016, 02:39 AM   #2441
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

A2 is not a freeway, they ask good money for it!

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Spam King liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2016, 05:14 PM   #2442
steple

Likes (Received): 1142

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/580609/
Georg Trüb, June 20, 2016, Montbovon
New train of the TPF (transports publics fribourgeois) with railcars ABe 2/4 and Be 2/4 # 106 and intermediate car (with publicity paint scheme for GESA), street running through Montbovon around the corner of the former "Hotel de Jaman".
Old July 25th, 2016, 01:11 PM   #2443
ipmetrix
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

add some pics about the trains please anyone
ipmetrix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 01:01 AM   #2444
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/583631/
Georg Trüb, July 20, 2016, Wassen
The last green Re 4/4 II of the passenger division, # 11161, is pulling the Interregio 2328 from Locarno to Basel, with two older reinforcement cars in front, on the middle level of the loops at Wassen, with the baroque church and the Chli Windgällen mountain in the background.
Old July 28th, 2016, 09:25 PM   #2445
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/581728/
Georg Trüb, June 27, 2016, St. Gallen Bruggen
Doubledeck train RABe 511 # 024 is running as RegioExpress 4976 from Chur to Wil (SG) and crossing the 190 meter long and 63 meter high Sitter viaduct from 1924 between St. Gallen Bruggen and St. Gallen Winkeln.

dimlys1994, pai nosso, Rail_Serbia liked this post
steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 02:21 AM   #2446
mwinyi

Likes (Received): 1274

Took a train from Zurich to Liechtenstein and got off at this place called Sargaans..the view that I saw during the trip was heaven on earth. Too bad didn't take any pictures

Manolo_B2 liked this post
mwinyi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:11 AM   #2447
steple

That's the line along the Walensee, you were probably riding a Railjet like this one:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/531296/
Georg Trüb, May 18, 2015, between Walenstadt and Unterterzen
RailJet # 162 Wien Westbahnhof-Zürich with leading cab car # 715 and locomotive 1116 shoving in the rear is running along the Walensee near Mols.
Old August 9th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #2448
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/582148/
Georg Trüb, July 04, 2016, Wilderswil
1 meter gauge adhesion/cogwheel railcar ABeh 4/4 # 306 "Lütschental" of the BOB with train 149 from Interlaken Ost to Zweilütschinen, from where this front part of the train will head for Lauterbrunnen. The rear part of this long train, pulled by railcar ABeh 4/4 # 304 "Bern", will run to Grindelwald. Both railcars were built in 1965 by SIG, SLM and BBC.

Rail_Serbia, Perennial Quest liked this post
Old August 10th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #2449
Coccodrillo

Note that the track in the foreground is not for crossings, as it is the 800 mm SPB line ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schynige_Platte_railway ). The two lines run parallel for a short section but are obviously independent.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 02:18 AM   #2450
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1506

They do, however, share common catenary poles.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 02:48 AM   #2451
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/582145/
Georg Trüb, July 04, 2016, Wilderswil
Cogwheel train of the Schynige Platte Bahn (SPB, part of the Berner Oberland Bahnen BOB) on 800 mm gauge track, with open passenger cars B # 3 and 7 and locomotive He 2/2 # 11 at Wilderswil. The 16 ton locomotive with 220 kW was built in 1914 by SLM and BBC. Car # 3 dates from 1893 and was built by Von Roll, car # 7 is from 1924 and built by SIG.

dimlys1994, Perennial Quest liked this post
Old August 11th, 2016, 11:08 PM   #2452
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/585219/
David Gubler, August 07, 2016, Davos Wiesen
Finally! It took three visits to this place and 10 trains to get this one right, with nice sunlight, the proper train and timing... An ABe 8/12 "Allegra" unit carries hikers and bikers from Filisur to Davos, and catches a glimpse of daylight as it emerges from the Wiesen I tunnel and crosses the small Bärentritt bridge, only to enter the Bärentritt tunnel right after that.

Lying there on my belly and letting the camera hang down to get a mostly branch-free shot onto the scene earned me some strange looks, and I had to explain to a pair of hikers that I'm not trying to kill myself, just waiting for a train
Old August 14th, 2016, 10:13 AM   #2453
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

"A 27-year-old Swiss man attacked several passengers on a train in canton St. Gallen on Saturday, the Swiss News Agency has reported. He was thought to have used a knife and set a flammable liquid on fire, injuring at least one of the passengers severely.
According to a report from Swiss public radio, SRF, six people were injured: a 17-year-old and a 50-year-old man, three women aged 17, 34 and 43, and a 6-year-old child. The attacker was apparently injured as well.
Numerous ambulances and Rega helicopters were on the scene and have taken the injured to the hospital, said a spokesman for the police.
The attack occurred shortly before the Salez station on the route between Buchs and Sennwald, the police reported."

In general, what kind of security is there on the Swiss rail network?
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 01:45 PM   #2454
Coccodrillo

Security is high, such events are rare. People doing such actions might be everywhere, so it is not possible to prevent them. Still, if you consider that SBB carries around 1 million people a day (number of trips, going back and forth = 2 trips), and many more people travel by other public transport vehicles, the chance of being involved in such accident is very low. And violent crimes on board PT vehicles in Switzerland are rare.

The man in question tried to put fire on the train (likely a SOB Flirt), amd caused at least 100.000 CHF of damages. He and a woman subsequently died. A 17 year old girl is also at heavy risk. It is still not known why he did that, however police tends to exclude terrorism. He had no criminal records, something that make more msiterious the motive of the attack and also make more impredictable such events.

Apparently the news has been interpreted as a possible terrorist attack by foreign medias (as cited at the end of http://www.cdt.ch/svizzera/cronaca/1...o-fa-due-morti), but again, it seems not to be terrorism (i.e. someone affilated to some organization who want to kill as much people as possible because of political reasons, or to obtain some poltiical target). Some sources even say that the murder and the victim knew each other, which might mean it was a degenerated "normal" homicide (i.e. someone who wants to kill somebody for a precise reason), but there is still confusion about that.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Jordbcn liked this post
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #2455
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuZealand View Post
In general, what kind of security is there on the Swiss rail network?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Security is high, such events are rare.
All train stations throughout Europe are basically public spaces anyone with a valid ticket can enter without explicit security checks. The level of security in a station or on a train is thus comparable to any other public space, maybe even slightly higher, because of the presence of railway staff and security personnel. And of course on major hubs and airport railway stations you'll see more security personnel.

Notable exceptions are Eurostar and Spanish AVE, that both have airport style security checks.
Old August 18th, 2016, 01:34 AM   #2456
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/586159/
Georg Trüb, August 11, 2016, Spinas
View onto the construction site for the new Albula tunnel II in Spinas. The new single bore tunnel will be built parallel to the existing, 5864 meters long tunnel opened in 1903. When the new tunnel will be finished in 2021, the old one will be converted to a security tunnel. You can see the existing station building of Spinas on the left of the two tracks and the portal of Albula tunnel (I) behind. The "Albula-Sprinter" with locomotives Ge 4/4 I # 605 and 602 in the rear just arrived from Preda on the north side of the tunnel and is ready for loading in the especially built siding tracks.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/586140/
Georg Trüb, August 11, 2016, Spinas
The so called "Albula-Sprinter" train of the RhB with locomotives Ge 4/4 I # 605 "Silvretta" and the 69 years old # 602 "Bernina" in the rear, 4 freight cars Fau of the 8761 to 8770 series and leading auxiliary cab car Xa 99801 (former passenger car B 2306 built in 1940). With this train, excavation material from the new Albula tunnel II is transported from Spinas to Preda. There is no possibility to remote control the locomotives from the car Xa 99801. A crew member sitting in the front, with radio communication to the driver, could stop the train in a case of emergeny by the vacuum brake. The train is entering Spinas, coming through the "old" Albula tunnel opened in 1903.

pai nosso, Perennial Quest liked this post
Old August 18th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #2457
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Is the new tunnel designed for double track? Doesn't look like that from pictures.

EDIT: found, it's single track.
https://www.rhb.ch/en/company/projec...ng/the-project

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old August 19th, 2016, 01:03 AM   #2458
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

What's the intended purpose of the new tunnel? Simply better clearance for containers?
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 01:34 AM   #2459
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
An examination of the state the 110-year-old Albula Tunnel, carried out in 2006, revealed an urgent need for general refurbishment and modernised safety features. The inner walls of more than half of the 5,864 metre-long tunnel are in a bad state, and require replacement. After a detailed examination of the two alternatives of repairing or rebuilding, the RhB decided, in 2010, on the latter. The clinching arguments in this respect were the relatively minor difference in cost, the lack of relevant disruption to timetabling during the construction phase and the considerably improved safety offered by a rebuild. The rebuild also guarantees high quality and advantages with respect to sustainability.
(link above)

It's strange to me that they didn't go for a 2-tracks tunnel, providing much more timetable flexibility; but surely they had their reasons.

Old August 20th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #2460
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
(link above)

It's strange to me that they didn't go for a 2-tracks tunnel, providing much more timetable flexibility; but surely they had their reasons.
I see no reason against repairing the old tunnel if a double track is necessary any time later.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
basel, zurich