daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2016, 05:40 PM   #2501
steple

Likes (Received): 1142

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/586892/
Georg Trüb, August 23, 2016, below Schynige Platte
Classic view of the Schynige Platte Bahn (SPB) on a beautiful clear summer day, with Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau in the background. Cogwheel locomotive He 2/2 # 13 "Matten" (SLM/BBC 1914) is shoving cars B # 47 and 48 up the 250 permille grade to the top. The gauge is 800 mm, voltage 1500 V DC.

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2016, 02:43 AM   #2502
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/587846
Georg Trüb, August 20, 2016, Wassen
For my 4500th contribution on Railpictures I choose this "moonlight special" as a tribute to the Gotthard mountain line, with the famous loops around Wassen. In a double longtime exposure shortly after midnight, we can see the light traces of the headlights of two freights, one going north and one south. In the foreground on the uppermost level, a southbound freight train was running towards Göschenen, with the red block signals 65 R/S and the lineman house 23fs on the left. In the middle, coming towards us, the light traces of a northbound freight train running around the curve and over the middle Meienreuss bridge. On the right, parts of Wassen village with the baroque church on a little hill, on the right side of the valley the freeway A2 and in the background the Chli Windgällen mountain. The moon came over the mountain crest some minutes before, but his light was damped through thin clouds.
Old September 5th, 2016, 05:13 AM   #2503
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

This is beauty!

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 02:57 PM   #2504
PippoBRN

Likes (Received): 10

SBB announced yesterday that it intends to increase services on the Zürich-St. Gallen line from 2018. In total, 9 additional trains will run Zürich-Zürich Airport-Winterthur-St. Gallen. As part of this service expansion, some trains of the Rheintal Express (St. Gallen-Chur) will be extended to Zurich. SBB also intends to improve services on the Zurich-Munich line by introducing new tilting trains that will reduce travel time to 3hr30min by 2020.
PippoBRN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #2505
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Without electrification Zürich-München will keep having substandard filthy service, diesel locos or DMUs will never match the capabilities, safety and comfort of electric traction if only for their massive excessive weight.

earthJoker liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #2506
PippoBRN

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Without electrification Zürich-München will keep having substandard filthy service, diesel locos or DMUs will never match the capabilities, safety and comfort of electric traction if only for their massive excessive weight.
In the article (it's on bahnonline.ch) that I read it was stated that electrification of the Zürich-Munich line will be finished by the end of 2020.
PippoBRN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #2507
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippoBRN View Post
In the article (it's on bahnonline.ch) that I read it was stated that electrification of the Zürich-Munich line will be finished by the end of 2020.
Those are good news then.
Old September 11th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #2508
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

That would be nice indeed. As of now it takes only 15 min longer to get to Paris on train than to Munich despite more than double the distance.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #2509
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
That would be nice indeed. As of now it takes only 15 min longer to get to Paris on train than to Munich despite more than double the distance.
The major solution would be a high-speed rail link through Austria of course. But the Austrians are not keen on building a 300km/h link Salzburg-Innsbruck-Brengez-(St Gallen-Zurich).
Old September 11th, 2016, 10:43 PM   #2510
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

It makes no sense for Austrians to do so even if they had the enormous pile of money likely to be required sitting around. In any case that's not even the shortest route between the two cities.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 09:52 PM   #2511
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
The major solution would be a high-speed rail link through Austria of course. But the Austrians are not keen on building a 300km/h link Salzburg-Innsbruck-Brengez-(St Gallen-Zurich).
A possible HSR link from Zürich to Salzburg and further to Vienna needs to go via Munich for two reasons:
Firstly Munich is much larger than Innsbruck (No offense to Innsbruck, I really like the city).
Secondly, the alps.

I really think you should download Google earth and starting to use it instead of Google maps when before you make such suggestions.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #2512
Suburbanist
on the road

I have grandiose ideas of how the valleys over this proposed route in Voralberg could see massive population expansion and development, but that is another topic for another thread (Austria has too many underdeveloped valleys that need a boost).
Old September 13th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #2513
earthJoker
Ölm

Even if Austria would build that trillion dollar project, it wouldn't be a solution of I want to travel to Munich.

I always thought a HSR from Constance to Ulm would be perfect, it would speed up travels from Zürich to Munich and to Stuttgart. This plan would include a new HSR line from Frauenfeld to Constance. Of course it would need to cross Lake Überlingen in some way.

Old September 14th, 2016, 07:39 AM   #2514
Zero Gravity

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
I have grandiose ideas of how the valleys over this proposed route in Voralberg could see massive population expansion and development, but that is another topic for another thread (Austria has too many underdeveloped valleys that need a boost).
I think the only thing you have are delusions of grandeur.

I'm sorry to be this blunt, but how do you keep coming up with this ridiculous stuff?

suasion liked this post
Zero Gravity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #2515
earthJoker
Ölm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Gravity View Post
I'm sorry to be this blunt, but how do you keep coming up with this ridiculous stuff?
I assume 'Bieridee' and 'Schnapsidee' are also common terms in Vienna.

Old September 17th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #2516
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/589242/
Georg Trüb, September 10, 2016, Bex Place-du-Marché
Cogwheel railcar BDeh 2/4 "Flèche" (Arrow) # 25 of the Bex-Villars-Bretaye, now Transports Publiques du Chablais (tpc), on the Place du Marché stop in Bex. This elegant railcar was built by SIG and MFO in 1946, so is in service for 70 years now!

Perennial Quest liked this post
steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2016, 09:06 PM   #2517
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/588154/
Georg Trüb, September 01, 2016, Realp
Tunnel car shuttle from Oberwald through the Furka Base Tunnel is entering Realp, with locomotive HGe 4/4 II # 102 "Altdorf" from 1986.

Sangnaris, xavierum, Perennial Quest liked this post
Old September 20th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #2518
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/581642/
Georg Trüb, June 24, 2016, Wassen, approaching Wattinger loop tunnel
Southbound intermodal freight with Re 620 # 074 "Murgenthal" and Re 4/4 II # 11321 (Re 420 321) in the Wattinger curve. In the rear of the train an Re 421 was pushing.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/493804/
Brian Stephenson, August 15, 1964, Wassen, approaching Wattinger loop tunnel
50 years ago I paid my first visit to the famous curve at Wassen on what was a very dull day long before the Gotthard motorway was built. The first train to pass was this Ae 6/6 No 11410 Basel-Stadt with the 14 carriage 06.25 Stuttgart to Ventimiglia. The four Italian coaches at the end of the train are the through carriages from Stuttgart.

Manolo_B2, Wilhem275, ko7, Sangnaris, 8166UY and 7 others liked this post
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #2519
kokomo
Selfie Selfie!

Likes (Received): 18339

Assistance required

Hi everyone!

I am asking for your help to identify these coaches that were sold from Zentralbahn to Tren de las Nubes (Argentina). I can see they are not of the familiar EW/VU type, so I am curious about which type of cars might be. All I know is 7 units were purchased in 2009 plus 2 luggage cars type A (gepäckwagen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by habu71 View Post

El populismo NO hace obras. Entrega subsidios

Attenzione! Allontanarsi dalla linea gialla

Mi último reporte de viaje: Un invierno en el Mezzogiorno. Sicilia y el sur de Italia por kokomo

Last edited by kokomo; September 20th, 2016 at 06:22 PM.
kokomo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:34 AM   #2520
steple

These are so called "middle-entry coaches" (Mitteleinstiegswagen, because of location of the doors) from the former SBB Brünig line, later rebranded to Zentralbahn. Similar types were common on the MGB and RhB, nowadays they're used less and less.

Some are being preserved in historic associations such as ZB Historic or the Dampfbahn Furka-Bergstrecke DFB.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/543454/
Georg Trüb, August 22, 2015, between Meiringen and Brünig-Hasliberg
"Muni" HGe 4/4 I # 1992 "Giswil" of zb Historic with the "Zentralschweizer Whiskyzügli" from Meiringen back to Lucerne, on the 12.0 % cogwheel grade from Meiringen to Brünig-Hasliberg. The cars are AB 473, WR 426, B 865 of SBB Historic and F3 51 of the Ballenberg Dampfbahn (BDB). The 2180 HP locomotive was built by SLM, BBC and MFO in 1953 for the 1 meter gauge Brünig line (Interlaken Ost-Meiringen-Lucerne) of the SBB.

kokomo, Sangnaris, Perennial Quest liked this post

Tags
basel, zurich