daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #2541
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Do these "Bernina Crocodile" also have longitudinally flexible sections?
Judging from the pictures, I would think so.

As an additional remark, those locos are not designated Ge 4/4 but Ge 6/6.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2016, 02:01 AM   #2542
steple

Likes (Received): 1142

Actually no. First of all, there is only one unit of Bernina Crocodile built 1928, the Ge 4/4 No. 182, former No. 82. This 1000 V DC locomotive has no articulated design. See the wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernin...haft_Ge_4/4_82
Quote:
Less formally, the locomotive is nicknamed the Bernina Crocodile, due to its external similarity to the Crocodile locomotives of Rhaetian Railway type Ge 6/6 I, and Swiss Federal Railways types Ce 6/8 I and Ce 6/8 II. However, the Ge 4/4 182 is not an articulated locomotive, and therefore the Crocodile nickname is not entirely accepted as appropriate for it.
A closer picture of the loco:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/592961/
Georg Trüb, October 15, 2016, Alp Grüm
The clock at the station building of Alp Grüm shows five minutes to 10 pm. Under the stars of the night sky the special train of the Rhaetian Railway with the "Bernina Crocodile" Ge 4/4 # 182 and open observation cars, is standing on track one for the return trip to Pontresina and St. Moritz, illuminated by the full moon. The passengers are enjoying the famous glacier fondue, a speciality made of hot swiss cheese in the station restaurant.

Ge 4/4 182 is operational again after 30 years out of service. After some years exil in France, standing inoperational outside in the weather, the locomotive was brought back to Switzerland in 1999 and after 11 years of work in Pontresina and Poschiavo, mostly by volunteers, it is now operational again.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/406872/
Axel Bozier, August 19, 2012, between Bernina Lagalp and Ospizio Bernina
On this beautiful sunday morning, the unique "Bernina Pullmanzug" of this year, pulled by the Ge 4/4 182 known as Bernina Crocodile is the first train of the day heading to Tirano. It is seen near the small black lake "Lej Nair" shortly after 8 am.

There is however another type of Crocodile locomotives owned by the RhB: The class Ge 6/6 I, used on the main 11 kV 16.7 Hz AC network. 15 units of this type have been built 1921–1929. These are actually articulated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaetian_Railway_Ge_6/6_I
Quote:
Due to their shape - they are similar in form to the SBB-CFF-FFS Crocodiles of the Gotthard Railway - the Ge 6/6 I locomotives have also collectively been nicknamed the Rhaetian Crocodiles by rail fans. Their internal working RhB designation is C-C. As with its standard-gauge counterpart, the Ge 6/6 I is articulated, with a gear-driven Jackshaft between the two end axles of each unit, connected to the drive wheels by side rods.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/593018/
Georg Trüb, October 16, 2016, near Bever
"Rhaetian Crocodile" Ge 6/6 I # 415 with the ENGADIN EXPRESS 2170 from Samedan to Chur in the Bever valley on the occasion of the tremendous event for 20 years "Club 1889".

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/293472/
Jean-Marc Frybourg, July 1989, Val Bever
At the time, this was a regular mixed passenger and freight train and what looks like a preserved historic engine was the standard power. Of course, it was a bit more "preserved" and historically accurate than "standard". This is the Swiss way: a nice and smooth transition from the old to the new. Current harsh economic constraints have not so much changed that spirit, thanks to numerous preservation entities like the "SBB Historic" organization, and the goodwill of many stakeholders.
Old November 1st, 2016, 02:55 AM   #2543
stingstingsting
railover

Likes (Received): 29

Is the one currently parked outside Berguen / Bravuogn station a Ge 6/6? I was staying in the Grischuna Hotel at Filisur station recently, looking out the window and thinking to myself wouldn't that articulated locomotive be an even more spectacular sight to see running around the curves? Most (or all?) of the regular trains on the RhB seem to be red and white so a bit of brown loco (and green carriages!) running regularly would be an added bonus too. Heck, go ahead and paint it red and white too if you have to (:

Since they're not steam locomotives, I expect that maintenance and wear and tear for the RhB Krokodils would not be nearly as taxing. Would it be so uneconomical to run these Krokodils on regular services too instead of the Allegra EMUs and the newer locomotives? Spare parts would be a challenge but I'm sure there would be quite a demand from people who would love to see them run on regular services.
Old November 1st, 2016, 05:53 PM   #2544
kokomo
Selfie Selfie!

Likes (Received): 18363

Awesome pictures

El populismo NO hace obras. Entrega subsidios

Attenzione! Allontanarsi dalla linea gialla

Mi último reporte de viaje: Un invierno en el Mezzogiorno. Sicilia y el sur de Italia por kokomo
kokomo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 03:11 AM   #2545
steple

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post

Is the one currently parked outside Berguen / Bravuogn station a Ge 6/6?
Yes, that's Ge 6/6 I No. 407. It is parked in Bergün since 1994, so I doubt it still works...

There are however still the locos 414 and 415 which are operational and are indeed used on a regular basis: In the Albula Experience train, each Sunday from 4th June to 3rd September next year. It's worth it!

Check the RhB website:
https://www.rhb.ch/en/world-of-railw...train#overview
Quote:
Each Sunday from 04.06.2017 to 03.09.2017, you can travel in the nostalgic wooden coaches and open scenic carriages from Landquart to Samedan, right through the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage site, a railway paradise.

The cult Crocodile locomotive will transport families and railway fans to the Albula Valley. You will travel through the Domleschg, valley of many castles, over the Solis and Landwasser viaducts and through the helical tunnels between Preda and Bergün in the open carriage or vintage wooden coaches.

It's worth making a stopover in Bergün: The Albula Railway Museum takes railway fans on a journey into the past. A simulator lets visitors drive the legendary Crocodile locomotive along the Albula Line themselves. Railway enthusiasts and families will be fascinated by the old stamps, films and models. At the Railway Museum and along the Railway Adventure Trail between Preda, Bergün and Filisur, you can find out more about the Albula/Bernina UNESCO World Heritage route and its engineering structures.

Tip: The railway line passes through Parc Ela. Explore Switzerland's biggest national park on foot.

In 2017, the Albula Experience train runs on the following dates:

Each Sunday from 4 June to 3 September 2017 (except 1 August)

Tip: From 03.10.2016 - 04.12.2016, historic saloon cars will be in operation in combination with the regional trains on the line Chur – St. Moritz. For just five or ten francs extra, you can take your seat in the special saloon cars dating back to the Belle Epoque.
And for the question why they are not used in scheduled passenger services anymore:
With a top speed of 55 km/h they are just too slow to handle the timetable. Maintenance is quite expensive as well, mainly due to the side rod power transmission, but also due to their age of almost 100 years...
The red and white trains are beautiful as well

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/593186/
Georg Trüb, October 16, 2016, between Bernina Lagalb and Ospizio Bernina
ABe 4/4 # 54 "Hakone" and # 53 "Tirano" with train 1629 from St. Moritz to Tirano on the shore of Lago Bianco, with 3246 meters high Piz Ot in the background.

pai nosso, Perennial Quest liked this post

Last edited by steple; November 2nd, 2016 at 03:27 AM.
steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 04:04 AM   #2546
stingstingsting
railover

Thank you Steple! That is quite a regular service. Pity I missed out on it by a few weeks :/

Oh don't get me wrong. I adore the red and white trains very much too (: And also the special-liveried Glacier Express trains!
Old November 3rd, 2016, 01:45 AM   #2547
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/593814/
Georg Trüb, October 24, 2016, Etzwilen
Profile of the brand new doubledeck train of the SBB, built by Bombardier Transportation, RABe 502 # 404. This is one of the only 9 ordered four-car trains for Interregio service or as reinforcement unit for the eight-car IC and IR trains. The train is here for oscillation test runs (forced braking and acceleration in curves) between Etzwilen and Thalheim-Altikon, a single track line with low traffic and many curves of medium radius.
Old November 5th, 2016, 03:25 AM   #2548
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/593015/
Axel Bozier, October 16, 2016, Morteratsch
"Montebello-Express" with the two yellow electric railcars ABe 4/4 I #34 from 1908 and #30 from 1911 with Piano-Bar car WR-S #3820 in the world-famous Montebello Curve on a gorgeous Fall Sunday! As a stunning background: the Morteratsch Glacier and the Bernina Range with Piz Bernina (4'049 m (13'284 ft)), its highest peak.
Old November 6th, 2016, 11:44 AM   #2549
GYN1997

Likes (Received): 148

i miss Swiss trains. I now live in London, trains here are worse than Swiss ones in all senses.

Vaud, londondude liked this post
GYN1997 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2016, 08:39 PM   #2550
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1583

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYN1997 View Post
i miss Swiss trains. I now live in London, trains here are worse than Swiss ones in all senses.
Agreed! The quality of the Swiss rail system is so much higher... Especially considering the difference in prices! trains in the UK are extraordinarily expensive compared to Swiss trains, and yet they manage to be really unreliable and cramped at all times.

The best part is that for all the British have to say about the efficiency of private ownership, the CFF manage to have profits with lower prices and offering a higher quality in every respect...

londondude liked this post
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2016, 01:33 AM   #2551
stingstingsting
railover

Quote:
Originally Posted by steple View Post

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/593015/
Axel Bozier, October 16, 2016, Morteratsch
"Montebello-Express" with the two yellow electric railcars ABe 4/4 I #34 from 1908 and #30 from 1911 with Piano-Bar car WR-S #3820 in the world-famous Montebello Curve on a gorgeous Fall Sunday! As a stunning background: the Morteratsch Glacier and the Bernina Range with Piz Bernina (4'049 m (13'284 ft)), its highest peak.
You know, I could wax lyrical about the Rhaetische Bahn and how I think it really is the most spectacular railway in the World in so many respects, but that would betray my personal bias...

My question though is about the track sleepers. They seem to be laid on the ballast in a sort of zig zag fashion. I have not noticed this before and so it seems very unique to me. What's the reason for this and am I right that this is rare? I am guessing that it has something to do with the curve in the track.

P.S. Seriously though if you're a trainlover, the RhB should be number one on your bucket list
Old November 8th, 2016, 12:58 AM   #2552
steple

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingstingsting View Post
My question though is about the track sleepers. They seem to be laid on the ballast in a sort of zig zag fashion. I have not noticed this before and so it seems very unique to me. What's the reason for this and am I right that this is rare? I am guessing that it has something to do with the curve in the track.
These are called Y-sleepers. They are quite commonly used in curves with small radius, especially on narrow gauge railways. Check the wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_tie
Quote:
An unusual form of tie is the Y-shaped tie, first developed in 1983. Compared to conventional ties the volume of ballast required is reduced due to the load-spreading characteristics of the Y-tie. Noise levels are high but the resistance to track movement is very good. For curves the three-point contact of a Y steel tie means that an exact geometric fit cannot be observed with a fixed attachment point.

The cross section of the ties is an I-beam.
The advantages over conventional bar sleepers: a 50 % lower use of sleepers in the track, a higher track stability and a high cross-sliding resistance, enabling rail welding even in tight curves. In addition, they require less ballast due to better load spreading and the overall height of the structure can be reduced by about 10 cm, which is also useful in tunnels. Costs are certainly higher though, so they are only used in selected situations.

Some examples can be seen here, text is in German:
http://www.os.cd.cz/tudc/files/09_St...aea0611d08.pdf

stingstingsting, Wilhem275 liked this post
Old November 8th, 2016, 09:16 AM   #2553
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

The thing with British trains is that they never upgraded their network to more modern standards, and by the time they really had to do it it was far too late as they'd lose compatibility with the rest of their network.

The British loading gauge doesn't allow for double decker trains, the track layout requires shorter coaches (23 metres maximum) and many platforms aren't long enough for 12 car trains. This leads to all sorts of problems with overcrowding.
Old November 8th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #2554
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Hello down there!

dimlys1994 liked this post
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2016, 01:23 AM   #2555
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/488423/
Jean-Marc Frybourg, June 26, 2014, Erstfeld
This Re 4/4 is evolving right at the bottom of the north grade of the St Gotthard, with the yard in the background and the famous locomotive shed on the left. The catenary poles are a mix of older ones - like the pole #219 on the left - and more recent ones.

dimlys1994, Perennial Quest liked this post
Old November 10th, 2016, 01:06 AM   #2556
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/593553/
Georg Trüb, October 22, 2016, between Amsteg-Silenen and Gurtnellen
Re 460 # 041 with publicity paint scheme for the Red Cross is pulling Interregio 2421 Zürich-Locarno over the Secken viaduct on the Gotthard north ramp. This stone viaduct with 10 bows has the same appearance as when it was built around 1880, it only was widened for the second track about 1890.

Sangnaris, pai nosso, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old November 14th, 2016, 12:19 AM   #2557
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/587913/
Axel Bozier, August 11, 2016, Gornergrat
Climbing above the clouds! On a beautiful summer morning, the cogwheel railcar Bhe 4/8 3052 (built by SLM/ABB) together with a low-floor unit Bhe 4/6 (built by Stadler Rail) are seen shortly before arrival at the Gornergrat station (3'089 meters above sea level). The viewing platform on the peak of the Gornergrat offers breathtaking views over 29 four-thousand-meter peaks, with the world famous Matterhorn among them.
Old November 14th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #2558
kokomo
Selfie Selfie!

Likes (Received): 18363

You can never tire with Swiss landscapes and trains

El populismo NO hace obras. Entrega subsidios

Attenzione! Allontanarsi dalla linea gialla

Mi último reporte de viaje: Un invierno en el Mezzogiorno. Sicilia y el sur de Italia por kokomo

Rapter, pai nosso, Tombetta liked this post
kokomo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #2559
steple

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/455743/
David Gubler, October 18, 2013, Versam-Safien
A Ge 4/4 II hauls a freight train from Landquart to Ilanz through the Rhine Gorge between Reichenau-Tamins and Ilanz.
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:25 AM   #2560
nitramwin

Likes (Received): 18

SBB Cargo to fit wagons with RFID tags

Written by Anitra Green
Taken from http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/freight/sbb-cargo-to-fit-wagons-with-rfid-tags.html

SWISS rail freight operator SBB Cargo is equipping its entire fleet of freight wagons with RFID technology in a bid to meet future market demand.

The first series of 1000 general freight wagons will be fitted with two RFID tags each by the end of this year; in all about 5000 wagons will be equipped by the end of 2017.

With this move SBB Cargo is responding to customer demand. The new technology will enable customers to follow the progress of their wagons on the railway network and check their position in the train, as well as sending information about the time of arrival or departure as required. The aim is to generate new potential for improved logistics concepts and services.

This is just one of the projects launched by SBB Cargo, which is currently focusing on developments in three areas. Its Asset Intelligence project is exploring ways of applying new technology to railfreight wagons, with 150 wagons already in trial operation. A second project is devoted to modernising shunting and train formation operations to improve efficiency. Lastly, its Wayside Intelligence scheme is designed to identify and check the status of wagons passing certain points.

nitramwin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
basel, zurich