daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #21
earthJoker
Ölminator

Likes (Received): 1692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika
On the news I saw some people insulting each other and fighting for a bus in Geneva according to some witnesses...
I guess they have a different mentality than in Zurich
Thats because the Geneva people are so much more open minded then those froZürich
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #22
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 12069

As Swiss railways mull national outage, new cut hits west

GENEVA, June 23 (AFP) - Even as Swiss railway officials were trying to explain how a short-circuit could have put their entire rail network out of action for three hours on Wednesday, a new cut halted services in much of the west of the country late on Thursday.

A spokesman for the federal railway company said the latest outage, which lasted around an hour before services began returning to normal, was caused not by a short-circuit but by lightning hitting power equipment in the Valais canton.

Several hundred commuters were temporarily stranded at the main Geneva station, just 24 hours after the nationwide breakdown left some 200,000 people waiting in searing summer heat.

A railway official had earlier on Thursday said that the trains were running "virtually normally" again after Wednesday's breakdown.

That power failure, which stopped all trains in the country apart from those on a handful of smaller privately-run lines in the Alps, was the most serious in the history of the country's rail system.

Some 1,500 trains came to a halt and up to 100,000 passengers were stuck inside trains throughout the country, the Federal Railways said.

The company was expecting to foot a bill of about 10 million Swiss francs (6.5 million euros, 7.9 million dollars) for Wednesday's incident, executives told journalists.

With an average of 2,077 kilometres (1,290 miles) travelled per inhabitant per year, the Swiss are the world's top train users and the network is renowned for its punctuality.

World Photo Gallery - |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Seoul, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 10:32 AM   #23
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 155

Yep, and yesterday there was a fire in a Zurich station that blocked the trains in the region, but it was not so bad - and the responsibles said: no problem, this is kind of everyday work Can be that the media are now oversensibilzed. On the other side I also lost one of my cousins once in a heavy train accident - but it's still much safer than in the UK since the privatization, most horrible thing they did in this country's infrastructure history
Old June 27th, 2005, 10:00 PM   #24
spsmiler

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuesel
Yep, and yesterday there was a fire in a Zurich station that blocked the trains in the region, but it was not so bad - and the responsibles said: no problem, this is kind of everyday work Can be that the media are now oversensibilzed. On the other side I also lost one of my cousins once in a heavy train accident - but it's still much safer than in the UK since the privatization, most horrible thing they did in this country's infrastructure history
I was in Switzerland on Tuesday - had I been there one day later (or the power failure occur one day earlier) I would have been affected. Most likely I would have missed my flight home - I left Zuerich on the 17.34 train to return to Basel, and almost certainly that train did not run on Wednesday.

BTW, rail travel is still much safer than road travel - even in Britain, which has some of the safest roads anywhere yet still an average of 10 people a day die on our roads.

I agree that railway privatisation made our railways less safe. Money was the prime motive for this, just as the prime motive for the 3000 speed cameras in Britain is to raise money - indeed there is evidence to show that the speed cameras actually make roads less safe as passing motorists put more effort in to checking their speed than watching out for potential dangers on the roads.

Starting today (Monday 27th June) there is a court case where shareholders of the former Railtrack are sueing the government for acting in an underhand way in (allegedly) forcing Railtrack in to administration (ie: making it go bankrupt) so that the government could take it over (and thereby own the tracks again) without paying shareholders back their monies. The court case is expected to last for 4 weeks.

Simon
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:46 PM   #25
earthJoker
Ölminator

Likes (Received): 1692

Did you read the news Küsel,

it's wasn't the direct democracy that led to the problem, the SBB just didn't build the lines. There havent been a single objection or remonstrance
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #26
Bikkel
sadfox

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika
I am sorry but why would be we listening to BBC World?? There are enough independent medias in Switzerland to read, to watch and to listen and in local languages…
Well, I heard it
Because I care to check sources other than the ones from my own little corner of the world
Bikkel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #27
Kika
Better United

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikkel
Well, I heard it
Because I care to check sources other than the ones from my own little corner of the world
Yeah after reading what you just wrote I wonder who is listening the news of its own little corner. You obviously have no idea about the Medias in Switzerland. This might be a tiny country but well located in the heart of Europe. Thus, you can find the medias of all surrounding countries who speak the same languages as the ones spoken in Switzerland (and English is not an official language) + all the Swiss Medias and for those who really bother to have this Americanised and very biased way of seeing the world all Anglo-Saxon Medias…

To me, listen to the kind of Medias you are mentioning is what I call brainwashing and a very narrow minded way of seeing the world. I can tell you this because I have seen in several occasions the way your Medias show things and how others Medias show the same story, it’s like wine and water…
Old August 29th, 2005, 11:08 PM   #28
De Snor
Forever Travelling

Likes (Received): 37

Swiss rail : damage by the floods of last week

Here you can see some pictures of the damages caused by the floods in Swiss railway tunnels and stations last week :

http://www.db.bielnews.ch/webpr20/sbb_d/sbb_d.html
click on "aktuelle Bilder"

Last edited by De Snor; August 29th, 2005 at 11:27 PM.
De Snor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 05:28 AM   #29
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 22

Crickey!

The photo of the mud and crap near the tunnel is unbelievable.
How long will it take before Swiss Railways are back to normal??

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #30
Küsel
Resurrected

It mostly goes relativelly fast - which is interesting: if the Swiss government gives the offer to build a new motorway or train track it takes decades til the company is finnished (they try to keep the offer and make it more expensive as long as possible ), but after a catastrophy they show how fast they can be

The Lötschberg is already open again and Gotthard was opened for goods already a few days after. I think in the meantime it works normally again. I was in Fribourg yesterday and there were also already trains from Bern to Luzern through Entlebuch that was totally distroyed. Okay some regions will suffer still for a long time and have to build the whole infrastructure again like Engelberg or Diemtigtal.

The total damage for the insurances is maybe about 2 bio - that's 1/15th of what Katrina did in Florida and Louisiana - I don't even want to imagine that!
Old August 30th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #31
CHANEL
WhAtEvEr

Likes (Received): 5

oh no i think this year is very bloody. so many people are deying and so many things are getting destroyed.
---------OOOOOO
-------OOOOOOOO

.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
CHANEL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:21 AM   #32
spsmiler

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANEL
oh no i think this year is very bloody. so many people are deying and so many things are getting destroyed.
Its all part of a series of global changes.

The process is only just beginning.

Some people say its the earth (which is a living conscious being) is starting to hit back at us humans, because of the pollution and the way we are damaging it.

I dont know for sure - but it is true that we humans are seriously damaging the environment, which is as much our living space as that of al the other creatures which live on this planet with us.

The situation is made far worse by the poisons we put into things such as drinking water (eg: flouride) which really are bad for both us and the environment.

In some cities (eg San Francisco) the water is so polluted that not only should people not drink it but they should not wash / bathe in it - as the harmful chemicals still enter our bodies via the skin.

one piece of advice: nuture strength of spirit. (ie: become strong emotionally) the ride is about to begin - and its gonna be very bumpy!

and remember that at all times you create your own reality through your thoughts. If you thnk fearfully, then you will have fear. You may not be able to change all the events you will see unfolding - but will *allways* be able to change your thoughts & reactions to what is happening.

Simon

Last edited by spsmiler; August 31st, 2005 at 12:31 AM.
spsmiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 07:48 AM   #33
Küsel
Resurrected

Our floodings have different reason:

- Global warming changes the seasons, winds and rainsfalls and especially melts the permafrost in the mountains therefore the grounds are not stable anymore and landslides are more often happening
- deforestation is also supporting earthslides
- canalisation of rivers put them out of their natural bed and with high water the risk that the damns break is high
- heavy agriculture machines compress the soil and they can't take a lot of water anymore, so plains get flooded very soon
- our country - especially the midlands - is very dense populated and lots of people build in areas with a high risk of natural hazards. So if something happens it's much more damage done in a small area than some 30 years ago when only 50% of today's land was overbuilt
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #34
Küsel
Resurrected

SWITZERLAND | Railways

This weekend they expect tenthousands for the big inauguration party of the NEAT Lötschberg tunnel that will connect Bern with Brig. Its total length is 34,6km and it will shorten down the the travelling time between these two cities from 1.5 hours to one hour! The Valais will be reachable from Zurich center in less than 2 hours!
http://www.loetschberg.ch/en/index-e.html

Old June 15th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #35
WotaN
in omnia paratus

Likes (Received): 126

I've been to Brig and Visp several years ago and seen the old pass. Never expected for it to change so quickly Hope that tourist trains will still take the old route - much more spectacular, especially the downramp towards Brig when passing Visp
WotaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #36
railcity

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotaN View Post
I've been to Brig and Visp several years ago and seen the old pass. Never expected for it to change so quickly Hope that tourist trains will still take the old route - much more spectacular, especially the downramp towards Brig when passing Visp
The Intercity Trains will run through the new tunnel. For the old route, you can board a RegioExpress in Bern or Spiez.

Quoting the BLS webpage: "From the end of 2008 onwards, the journey will be even more pleasant with the introduction of modern carriages for the Lötschberg mountain route."

http://www.bls.ch/bahn/linien_regioex_loetsch_d.html

Last edited by railcity; June 15th, 2007 at 09:57 AM.
railcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #37
railcity

Likes (Received): 56

A collection of video-reports can be viewed here:

on Lötschberg:
http://www.sf.tv/sfwissen/dossier.ph...15&navpath=pol

on NEAT in general:
http://www.sf.tv/sfwissen/dossier.ph...07&navpath=pol
railcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #38
Küsel
Resurrected

BBC News 15.6.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6755953.stm
Old June 15th, 2007, 03:28 PM   #39
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 160

Congratulations Switzerland! Never been there, but knew about the Lotchsberg railway in my childhood. I hope the mountain route survives.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #40
Küsel
Resurrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
Congratulations Switzerland! Never been there, but knew about the Lotchsberg railway in my childhood. I hope the mountain route survives.
It will. Also in the future (the official change also by timetable is only in December) you can choose between the mountain route and the NEAT. BTW the trains will speed up to 250km/h through the tunnel!

Tags
basel, zurich