daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #41
Insane alex
Stockholm rules!

Likes (Received): 23

Great news!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=449245
Countries i've been to: Australia, Austria, Canada, Brazil, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Lichtenstein, Germany, The Netherlands, Latvia, Italy, UK, USA, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hong Kong.
Insane alex no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #42
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 163

I was there on Saturday But it was not a lot going on, so I went to the Jura Montains for in the Val de Travers was a Fete de l'Absinthe
Old June 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #43
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuesel View Post
This weekend they expect tenthousands for the big inauguration party of the NEAT Lötschberg tunnel that will connect Bern with Brig. Its total length is 34,6km and it will shorten down the the travelling time between these two cities from 1.5 hours to one hour! The Valais will be reachable from Zurich center in less than 2 hours!
In fact travel time from Bern to Visp will be cut from 2 to 1 hours, this because on the old line ended in Brig and one needed to change train to go to Visp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post
I hope the mountain route survives.
The new line has 22 km of single track without passing loops (even if it will be possible to double it later), so it can't handle all the existing traffic. The new line will be used by 40 InterCity and 70 freight trains daily, and the old one by the remaining 40 freight trains (plus the regional trains, called "RegioExpress").

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 06:41 PM   #44
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14301

great!!

Angolan Forum | Luanda pictures | my World Trip

~> SkyscraperCity Angola on Facebook <~
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 09:55 PM   #45
Grotlaufen

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post

The new line has 22 km of single track without passing loops (even if it will be possible to double it later), so it can't handle all the existing traffic. The new line will be used by 40 InterCity and 70 freight trains daily, and the old one by the remaining 40 freight trains (plus the regional trains, called "RegioExpress").
What, the rich gnomes of Switzerland can´t afford to construct double single-track tunnels? In Austria these days, they´re doing everything they can to build second tunnels if there is just one single lane/track tunnel, especially for road traffic (Tauern, Katschberg tunnels etc).
Grotlaufen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #46
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62830

It's build efficient, traffic predictions were not high enough to build a new double track tunnel next to the old double track route that remains open. It's cheaper this way and the construction was faster.

But it remains a fact that the international rail freight is booming and the completion of the whole double track tunnel could well be used, even together with the old route.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #47
Coccodrillo

Original plans were for only one new line between German and Italan border.
There were three proposed axis:
- Splügen (eastern Switzerland)
- Gotthard (central)
- Simplon-Lötschberg (western)

Politicians and engineers decided for the new Gotthard line but, as in Switzerland big projects must be approved by referendum, they proposed to build also the new Lötschberg (but not the new Simplon) to have more voters supporting the projects (people living along the Gotthard line would have never voted in favour of the new Lötschberg line, and viceversa, people living on the Lötschberg would have never voted for the Gotthard).

The new Lötschberg line will add little capacity (from 80 to 110 freight trains, each up to 1800 tons in weight) because the old Simplon line will retain its limits. With the new Gotthard line the capacity is expected to increase from 110-130 trains per day to 220, with the weight of each train increasing from 1800 t to 3000 t and maybe more.

==================

Tha layout of tracks of the new tunnel has probably been chosen considering the passenger timetable. That is, becaus of the symmetric timetable, all trains must arrive in Bern a few minutes before hh:00 or hh:30 and start a few minutes before. InetCity trains to the Lötschberg tunnel leave Bern at hh:07 and hh:35, and arrive at hh:23 and hh:55. Studying the timetable they noticed that there was no need of double track in the tunnel because a passenger train would never cross the one travelling in the opposite direction inside the tunnel. The remaining capacity will be used by freight trains. The problem is if a trains comes late to the tunnel...if this happens, it must be routed to the old line. And the trains coming from Italy are very often late...

==================

The new Lötschberg tunnel when completed will be used also by shuttle trains carrying trucks and cars betweeen the two sides of the mountain, because over the Lötschberg pass there is no road. Today cars and lorries are transporterd throught the old railway tunnel.

The new tunnel has been choses instead of a new highway project, but someone is asking yet to convert the old railway tunnel into a road tunnel, once the new line is double-tracked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
It's cheaper this way and the construction was faster.
In fact, when the tunnel will be completed (and it will), they will have to rebuild a big yard because of the 7 km that have not been bored during the first phase. If they had bored these 7 km from the beginning, it would have been cheaper. The completion of the tunnel is estimated to 1 billion of swiss francs, or 625 millions of euro.

I hope it is clear

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #48
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Likes (Received): 17

A very usefull analysis, Thank you
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:06 PM   #49
Lake

Likes (Received): 49

SWITZERLAND | Railways

The Zurich mainstation is one of the biggest trainstations in the world.

Travellers/day: 360'000 (500'000 in 2020)
Tracks: 26 (16 for national and international traffic | 10 for S-Bahn | 4 additional tracks u/c)
Movements per day: 2915 trains (worldrecord!)
In the underground of the national/international and 4 S-Bahntracks is a shoppingcenter with over 100 shops, policestation, church and so on. 6 tracks for the S-Bahn are also undeground 4 additional tracks in the new station "Löwenstrasse" are under construction and will be opened in a few years, when the additional tunnel to Zurich-Oerlikon is ready.

From outside:image hosted on flickr

The old mainhall where in the 19th century the trains arrived and departed. It's now the biggest overroofed square in Europe housing a lot of events and markets
image hosted on flickr

The "Querhalle" between the mainhall and the intercity tracks
image hosted on flickr

aerial view:

Tramway stop:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Lake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:11 PM   #50
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Good photos!
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:43 PM   #51
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Nice pictures!

Here is my old thread in the rating sections:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=221636

Lots of pictures there as well.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 09:55 AM   #52
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I loved Zurich Haptbahnhoff. I have a few photos of it in my computer somewhere from when I was on holiday in Zurich, I'll try to find them and post them. The Christmas decorations/market was amazing ,and all inside one building.

The shopping centre underneath the station is great too.
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #53
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Albula - Bernina Railways get world heritage status

Quote:
Bernina railway chugs towards heritage status
The World Heritage Committee is meeting in Quebec, Canada, to decide which sites to add to UNESCO‘s World Heritage List. Switzerland is in the running with a mountain landscape in the Eastern Swiss Alps and the Albula and Bernina railway lines in the canton of Graubünden which it is presenting jointly with Italy. WRS’s Vincent Landon reports from the highest rail crossing of the Alps.

CAPREZ: I like the diversity. Every time I drive the Albula line, it‘s a different experience even for me after all those years.

Driver Gion Caprez of the Rhaetian Railways. Caprez has been driving the Albula and Bernina lines for more than 20 years. He‘s also a history buff who walked the length of the lines to help prepare the study submitted to UNESCO.

CAPREZ: The Bernina line is a survivor. The technology of the electric inter-urban railway was universal. Most of them are gone now but the Bernina line is stilll there.

The railway lines are the central element of the UNESCO listing. They run for 120 kilometres from Thusis via St Moritz to Tirano in Italy. But the application is also about the cultural landscape. The lines cross language divides - German, Romansh and Italian cultures.

In the Albula valley, an ingenious system of loops and spirals, tunnels and bridges allows the train to climb 700 metres in 12 kilometres, a feat which would not normally be possible without a cog-wheel railway. Higher and higher above the valley, the train enters tunnels whose exits are visible directly above us in the rock face. Caprez says the Bernina line is not only a great feat of engineering. It is more or less in its original state.

CAPREZ: In the case of the Bernina line, authenticity means it serves exactly the same function, it did 100 years ago. It still brings tourists to the spots where they can view the glaciers, take walks throught alpine meadows. The Bernina line still serves the valley of Poschiavo as its link to the rest of Switzerland.

UNESCO listing brings obligations as well as prestige. Caprez says the railway will have to seek expert historical advice when it carries out replacement work but otherwise maintains a fairly free hand.

CAPREZ: “In principle anything that is needed to keep the line working is fine with UNESCO. We are allowed to maintain our tracks, to use new rolling stock, to rebuild bridges, strengthen bridges, replace them if needed.”

The highest point on the journey is Ospizio Bernina, 2,250 metres above sea level. It‘s about two hours from the glaciers of the pass to the palm trees of Tirano in Italy. On the curved viaduct near Brusio, we go round in circles to lose height. Soon we are in the Italian speaking Poschiavo valley and before you can say “Arrivederci and goodbye” it’s Tirano and journey‘s end.
http://www.worldradio.ch/wrs/news/sw...us.shtml?11151

Edit: Added Pictures

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com

Last edited by earthJoker; July 8th, 2008 at 11:42 AM.
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #54
GENIUS LOCI
No More Italian Mod

Likes (Received): 11120

It deserved that status

I always loved that line and really find amazing the loop
Old July 8th, 2008, 07:10 PM   #55
Coccodrillo

Int runs partly on streets. Photos by myself.

Old July 9th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #56
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Yes, both lines have to be added!

The Albula line has to be my favorite railway line in the world, I spend many holidays in Bergün when I was younger (I should go back again) watching the trains thrice going up and down the mountain.

If they make the list the RhB should stop using their loco's as giant billboards, it's better when it's a red loco hauling up to 15 red carriages as the snellzug nach St. Moritz mit halt in Preda und Samedan.
Old August 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #57
vidya

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Int runs partly on streets. Photos by myself.

beautiful pics
vidya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #58
railcity

Likes (Received): 58

SWITZERLAND | Railways

Swiss Railway Station Turns into an Opera Set - Live Streaming on swissinfo.ch

BERN, Switzerland, September 23 /PRNewswire/ -- On 30 September 2008 the main railway station in Zurich will become the setting for a melodious cultural experience which commuters, onlookers and television audiences at home will all be able to enjoy. The opera "La Traviata" will be broadcast live on SF 1, TSI, HD suisse and Arte simultaneously, starting at 20.05 (18.05 UTC/GMT). Swissinfo and SF will be streaming this major event over the internet.

An opera performance amid throngs of commuters at Zurich's main station: "La Traviata at Zurich main railway station" is an innovative arts project being produced by Schweizer Fernsehen (SF) in cooperation with the Franco-German culture channel Arte, the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB) and Zurich Opera House.

This production presents a major challenge both artistically and technically, since SF is staging the opera live in various parts of the railway station, including the main concourse, cafés and the platform area. It is only when they reach the screen that the individual scenes will merge together into a single performance. Television audiences at home will have front-row seats.

The ensemble, choir and orchestra of the Zurich Opera House are providing the music, directed by Paolo Carignani. Eva Mei sings the leading role of Violetta, Vittorio Grigolo plays Alfredo and Angelo Veccia appears as Giorgio Germont.

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=237690

Links to Internet Live Streaming:
http://www.sf.tv/sf1/latraviata/index.php
http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/index.html

railcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #59
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

I like the way they often use the big space in the main hall for interesting events like this.
Old September 30th, 2008, 11:40 PM   #60
railcity

Likes (Received): 58

It's still running at this moment: the 3rd act. Violetta is very ill....

In the 1st act, Alfredo left the scene with the train....
railcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
basel, zurich