daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #581
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1582

hehe where do you live?

as for what you mention, what I said was related to normal lines. If necessary I guess there shouldn't be any problem to schedule a special train which would arrive at Genève Cornavin and then go back again in a simple push-pull operation so that it uses the CEVA line to get to Annemasse, the only problem is that it's being built with 15kv so the loco would need to change in Annemasse somehow.

As to why there are no direct lines ending in the airport, I guess it might do with the fact that the airport serves as an end station for many regional and national trains, but with its 4 tracks I'm not sure it would be able to handle too suburban trains covering the CEVA.
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #582
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

There is a single track link (here, the tunnel on the left), used by freight trains going from France (Bellegarde) to the La Praille goods yard. Today it is electrified at 1500 V DC and is totally independent from the Cornavin-Lancy Pont Rouge track electrified at 15 kV AC. With CEVA this latter link will be double tracked so to have a double track line instead of two parallel single track lines. The west track will have a commutable overhead line (15-25 kV AC), the east track will have only 15 kV. It would be possible in theory to run Airport-Annemasse trains, but to do that CFF should build a commutable overhead line until Châtelaine junction (here is one end of the tunnel, one being the link to La Praille yard, the other the Cornavin 1500 V DC sector, Châtelaine junction is just west of this point were the double track line to the airport and the single track line to France diverge).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #583
Vaud

Thanks coccodrillo, where do you get all that information? I didn't know that track was going to be upgraded too!
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:27 PM   #584
Coccodrillo

That's how the tracks in the area look like today. The green lines denote underground parts, the red track (1500 V DC) pass under the other two tracks. There may be a few imprecisions, but the concept is there.

Today there are no electric trains switching from DC to AC tracks outside Cornavin and La Praille, the switches (points) shown in my drawing and visible on Google Maps are used only by diesel and work trains.

[IMG]http://i43.************/5e5qvm.jpg[/IMG]

That's how the tracks might look like with CEVA. One of the three tracks to France/Airport will be commutable as will be one of the tracks on the bridge and tunnel to La Praille yard (between the future Lancy and Carouge stations). The commutable track on the Cornavin-Châtelaine Junction is needed because the single track 1500 V DC track (to be converted to 25 kV AC within a few years) is saturated and it would be too costly to make room for a fourth track.

I don't know what current will be used in the link tunnel (violet). I suppose 25 kV only, as there are no plans for Airport-Annemasse trains, and this track would be used only by freight trains. Even if technically it would be easy to make it commutable 15-25 kV, it would make line management difficult.

Traffic on Cornavin-Châtelaine Junction line is not that heavy by itself, but the problems is that there are two current types to handle and that one of the tracks (the red one) is partially physically isolated from the other two (it has to dive under the other tracks to pass on the other side, all that in tunnel).

[IMG]http://i42.************/ic44ti.jpg[/IMG]

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old March 23rd, 2012, 09:58 PM   #585
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62814

BLS put up a gallery of the roll-out of it's new Stadler Rail KISS double decker EMU on their website. The regular passenger service will start in September 2012.

source:
http://www.bls.ch/d/unternehmen/foto...to-rollout.php
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:05 PM   #586
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Google "Rail" View on the Albula and Bernina lines: http://www.bluewin.ch/it/index.php/5...s/diversi/sda/
Finally it's here

Some parts of both lines are now online on Google Streetview.

http://www.rhb.ch/RhB-Street-View.1908.0.html

In the next couple of weeks the whole line from Thusis to Tirano will come online.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #587
TedStriker
Over Macho Grande

Likes (Received): 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
There is a single track link (here, the tunnel on the left), used by freight trains going from France (Bellegarde) to the La Praille goods yard.

Speaking of the La Praille area, am I right to think that all the cargo handling rail infrastructure is to be swept away? From the youtube video that's what my eyes are telling me, but I'd like to know for sure.
TedStriker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #588
Coccodrillo

As far I know the freight infrastructure will be reduced for urban development, but not completely removed.

Old April 6th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #589
Coccodrillo

The Furka railway is being cleared from snow: http://www.dfb.ch/index.php?id=474#c1855

Old April 7th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #590
steple

Likes (Received): 1142

Last week, SBB has launched a new advertising campaign. The TV commercial:

A longer version, which shows the effort of the employees:

Not only was the song «Welcome Home» specially written for SBB, it was also sung by SBB's employees. The official music video:

steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #591
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by steple View Post
Last week, SBB has launched a new advertising campaign. The TV commercial:

(...)

A longer version, which shows the effort of the employees:

(...)

Not only was the song «Welcome Home» specially written for SBB, it was also sung by SBB's employees. The official music video:

(...)
Wow. Just wow.

That is a beautiful advertising campaign... speechless here.
Old April 7th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #592
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
Wow. Just wow.

That is a beautiful advertising campaign... speechless here.
+1
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #593
General Electric

Likes (Received): 7300

A RER station in Prilly Malley (West Lausanne) inaugurated soon!

In June 2012, an RER station will be opened in this strategic sector of the city, allowing the start of major real estate projects (look here one of 'em).
However, due to network congestion (lack of infrastructures), cadence quarter hour will be possible only for the horizon 2017-2022! Meanwhile, the cadence will be half an hour.

Construction:

SOUTH:

Bevore:

2010, february
image hosted on flickr

2010, june
image hosted on flickr

http://www.ouest-lausannois.ch/modul..._2009-2010.pdf

2010, november
image hosted on flickr

2010, december
image hosted on flickr

2011, february
image hosted on flickr

2011, april

NORTH:

bevore:
2010 december
image hosted on flickr

2011, avril
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

2011, june

2011, october

2011, december

2012, april

General Electric no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #594
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
+1
+2 VERY well done, actually excellent!!
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #595
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steple View Post
Last week, SBB has launched a new advertising campaign.
It's nice, but using a mix of the four national languages instead of English would have been better...

Old April 8th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #596
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
using a mix of the four national languages instead of English would have been better
No, that more than likely would've sounded awkward, forced and unnatural...
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #597
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
No, that more than likely would've sounded awkward, forced and unnatural...
For Swiss?? I don't think so. They're very proud of 4 national languages
Old April 9th, 2012, 04:47 AM   #598
AlexNL

Likes (Received): 537

True, Switzerland has 4 national languages. Making a song in 4 languages is very hard, and you have got to be careful in the way you write it. If the first verse would be in German, the people from the French part of Switzerland might get upset because "German was picked first!" Furthermore, 4 languages requires someone who can speak and sing in the 4 languages - I don't know if Selena and Hanspeter can do that.

Then there's a little bit of marketing gimmick: this campaign is going across the globe (it's linked here on SSC, I've shared it on Facebook, other forums and with friends myself) and by using English as the language in the song it is easier to understand for people who aren't from Switzerland. The song itself becomes more recognizable because you can hear what it's about. And because you can understand what the song is about, you just might get the impression that the Swiss like to welcome you into their country - which is reinforced by the beautiful scenery that's visible throughout the video.
Old April 9th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #599
Teach

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
For Swiss?? I don't think so. They're very proud of 4 national languages
Yes, for the Swiss too. It doesn't matter how proud they are of their languages, when you mix four of them together in a one minute commercial, it's going to sound forced and unnatural. A song for a commercial is supposed to be simple and catchy, and should clearly convey the message. This song is simple and catchy, and everybody gets the message. A song in which you try to squeeze four different languages would more than likely be or do neither. Remember: this is a commercial, NOT a political statement.

+ what Alex said.
Teach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #600
Vaud

I agree english was best, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNL View Post
you have got to be careful in the way you write it. If the first verse would be in German, the people from the French part of Switzerland might get upset because "German was picked first!"
That's not true. The order of the languages in the country for nation-wide stuff is always German, then French, then Italian, and in the case of SBB Romansh is not served by the company so it's not used. Nobody gets upset about this order because its disposition mirrors the number of speakers for each of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Electric View Post
A RER station in Prilly Malley (West Lausanne) inaugurated soon!
Thanks for the update, GE

Tags
basel, zurich