daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #641
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Isn't there (internal passenger) traffic from Ticino to anywhere other than Uri?

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #642
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Yes to Zürich (Luzern, Basel), that's where the trains head to. Or do you really think a lot of people leave the train in Altdorf?

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #643
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
Yes to Zürich (Luzern, Basel), that's where the trains head to. Or do you really think a lot of people leave the train in Altdorf?
So they should build tunnels. At least one to Valais.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #644
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

A branch of the Furka base tunnel leads to Bedretto valley, from where a never built line would have continued to Airolo on the Gotthard railway. This branch is however too small to be used for trains.

A more direct link is basically impossible as it would have to pass through Italy (beside of being too expensive for too little traffic).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #645
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62796

There have been proposals to start an "internal" service from Ticino to Wallis and Lausanne via Italy and the Simplon tunnel. Going all the way around the Lago Maggiore but without taking passengers in Italy. Something like the Austrian IC trains between Innsbruck and Salzburg that go through Germany because the route is more direct and goes around the mountains.

This would have been more interesting if there was a railway line on the North West shore of the Lago Maggiore.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #646
earthJoker
Ölm

The Brig - Domodossola - Locarno line s already included in the Swiss ticketing system, you can even ride it for free with the GA.

Old April 11th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #647
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

But that's via the Centovalli railway, it's a nice route but not that fast and you have to change trains. An intercity going around Lago Maggiore would be faster, but I guess it would be a bit too much going this far into Italy for a reliable service.
Old April 11th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #648
Coccodrillo

The future Locarno-Lugano-Varese-Gallarate-Malpensa Airport trains may be in correspondence with the Milano-Gallarate-Genève/Basel trains from around 2014 (Locarno-Lugano section sicne 2019 and the Ceneri base tunnel).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #649
earthJoker
Ölm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
But that's via the Centovalli railway, it's a nice route but not that fast and you have to change trains. An intercity going around Lago Maggiore would be faster, but I guess it would be a bit too much going this far into Italy for a reliable service.
That would be at least 3 times longer. Your suggested line along the north west of the Lago Maggiore would be better than. It would be nice to finally have a train to Ascona and Brisago.

Old April 12th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #650
Coccodrillo

It was one of the many planned but never built lines. As far I know it was planned around 1850 linking Arona, Brissago, Ascona, Locarno, Bellinzona, then Chur running over the Lucomagno-Lukmanier pass.

Nice map of the opening dates of existing lines up to 1908, and some planned ones: http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewik...hn_Schweiz.jpg

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #651
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The mere fact they focus in a small set of made-for-IQ 40-people-who-can't-deal-with-fractions of frequencies is already a let down.
Even people with high IQs like logical easy to understand systems. And the number "60" has some very interesting properties. So it's a good base interval to plan your network around.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:12 AM   #652
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
A branch of the Furka base tunnel leads to Bedretto valley, from where a never built line would have continued to Airolo on the Gotthard railway. This branch is however too small to be used for trains.
I thought the idea there was to enlarge that tunnel, and run Car shuttles to Ticino, but not build a line further down in to the valley.
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #653
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
That would be at least 3 times longer. Your suggested line along the north west of the Lago Maggiore would be better than. It would be nice to finally have a train to Ascona and Brisago.
A single trip from Locarno to Domodossola takes 1:49 hours.

If you take the trip to Domodossola from let's say Lugano it is currently already faster to go via Milano then via Locarno.
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #654
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Even people with high IQs like logical easy to understand systems. And the number "60" has some very interesting properties. So it's a good base interval to plan your network around.
Please, don't tell me you believe in magical numbers or something like that!

With precision clocking at the second level (extremely easy and dirt cheap with any wristwatch clock lol), you can have virtually any interval you want.
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #655
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
I suggest you file a complaint with the copyright owner of the word "S-Bahn". Oh wait. There is no such authority.
Which is why every operator can call his service an "S-Bahn" if they are so inclined.
Like the "Orthenau S Bahn", for example. Should they stop too :-)
It's not a copyright issue, but a matter of commensurability. The Swiss services don't meet the necessary frequency and other characteristics of an S-Bahn. Hence the labelling is disproportionate. And that applies for the Orthenau services as well.
Old April 12th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #656
earthJoker
Ölm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
A single trip from Locarno to Domodossola takes 1:49 hours.

If you take the trip to Domodossola from let's say Lugano it is currently already faster to go via Milano then via Locarno.
From Lugano it makes sense to go around the Lago Maggiore, but not from Locarno, that was my point. Sorry if I didn't say that clear enough.

A bridge between Stresa and Laveno would also open many possible connection. Then a line through the Valcuvia to Lugano.

Well you can always dream.

Old April 12th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #657
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Please, don't tell me you believe in magical numbers or something like that!
I don't believe in magical numbers. I do know however that 60 can be divided by 2,3,4,5 and 6. Which is why there are 60 minutes in an hour...

Quote:
With precision clocking at the second level (extremely easy and dirt cheap with any wristwatch clock lol), you can have virtually any interval you want.
So there is nothing against using 60 minutes then...

If you want to maximize the value of your network you need to same base interval network wide. And you can only achieve this if you set the value a priori, and then use it as a basis for planning your investments.
And if you are going to choose an interval a priori, and implement that network wide, then choosing "60 minutes" is the sensible choice.
Old April 12th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #658
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
And that applies for the Orthenau services as well.
And for several other German lines as well (Dresden, Hannover, Magdeburg, Breisgau, Rhein-Neckar, Rostock,Karlsruhe, not necesserily all lines of the networks mentioned), plus all the Austrian networks. Don't you think it is your definition which is wrong if so many S-Bahns (actually a majority of them) doesn't fit it?
I help you: the official German definition (I mean: that of the Federal Republic of Germany) for S-Bahn is: candeced traffic according to EBO, where EBO is the Eisenbahn-Bau- und Betriebsordnung. Nothing more. No restriction for frequency.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #659
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
And for several other German lines as well (Dresden, Hannover, Magdeburg, Breisgau, Rhein-Neckar, Rostock,Karlsruhe, not necesserily all lines of the networks mentioned), plus all the Austrian networks. Don't you think it is your definition which is wrong if so many S-Bahns (actually a majority of them) doesn't fit it?
No. An S-Bahn is not defined by cheap imitations, no matter how many there are, but by its original.
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #660
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
It's not a copyright issue, but a matter of commensurability. The Swiss services don't meet the necessary frequency and other characteristics of an S-Bahn. Hence the labelling is disproportionate. And that applies for the Orthenau services as well.
What is the minimum frequency then so that you can call it an "S Bahn" according to you?

Tags
basel, zurich