daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #1161
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

No, Hönggerberg isn't that high. I bet on the roof of Bundesamt für Meteorologie.

http://map.geo.admin.ch/?crosshair=b...latest&lang=de
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #1162
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I've noticed today looking through the posted schedule in a train station that from July 7th till December 14th there will be a direct TGV from Basel to Marseille. Right now the fastest connection (in Mulhouse or Dijon) is 5:12, so a direct connection will probably be 10-15 min faster. It doesn't beat flying of course, but I can see why some would choose a train if prices are friendly.

Later I found this article confirming this information:

http://www.basellandschaftlichezeitu...ille-125765474
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1163
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I've noticed today looking through the posted schedule in a train station that from July 7th till December 14th there will be a direct TGV from Basel to Marseille. Right now the fastest connection (in Mulhouse or Dijon) is 5:12, so a direct connection will probably be 10-15 min faster. It doesn't beat flying of course, but I can see why some would choose a train if prices are friendly.
The fastest connection now involves a 10 minute change in Mulhouse. A direct train won't be a lot faster...
This again shows that SNCF should pay more attention to timetable integration. With some clever optimisations they could offer Basel - Marseilles in 5h12m every two hours, and that without having to run extra trains. That ought to attract passengers, especially since there are no direct flights from Basel to Marseilles.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:29 PM   #1164
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Hi, I would like to know more about Swiss railway.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:17 AM   #1165
eeee.

Likes (Received): 1168

In what respect?
eeee. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:13 AM   #1166
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8713

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagus70 View Post
You're just right here. 57 pages of accumulated information for free.

thun liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:12 AM   #1167
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=486087
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:45 AM   #1168
bagus70
Ես ցանկանում եմ ծծել ձեր

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee. View Post
In what respect?
Not about history, because I could check them in Wikipedia. But I would like to know more about train fare, or any place that is railfans friendly in Switzerland.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:14 PM   #1169
K_

Quote:
Not about history, because I could check them in Wikipedia. But I would like to know more about train fare, or any place that is railfans friendly in Switzerland.
For train fares: www.sbb.ch
Places that are railfan friendly: About any railway station.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 09:43 PM   #1170
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Here are the fares for tourists: http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/ (but also Interrail/Eurail passes are valid and might be cheaper)

Standard fares are extremely expensive because tourists should use passes and frequent travellers have a wide choice of subscriptions.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2013, 11:15 PM   #1171
steple

Likes (Received): 1142

And the official railway network map:

thun liked this post
steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #1172
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Stupid question - I am struck at how slow Zürich-Bern is:
For example, IC 522 travels Zürich Hauptbahnhof-Geneve in 2:38, with 6 intermediate stops, namely Aarau, Olten, Solothurn, Biel, Neuchatel, Yverdon-les-Bains. (It originates at Sankt Gallen, stops at Zürich Flughafen and continues from Geneve to Geneve-Aeroport).
IC3020 travels Zürich Hauptbahnhof-Geneve in 3:13. It makes just 3 intermediate stops - Bern, Fribourg, Lausanne. (It also originates at Sankt Gallen, stops at Zürich Flughafen and continues from Geneve to Geneve-Aeroport).

And so on every hour or two.

Why are Zürich-Bern trains so slow despite making fewer stops?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #1173
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
For example, IC 522 travels Zürich Hauptbahnhof-Geneve in 2:38, with 6 intermediate stops, namely Aarau, Olten, Solothurn, Biel, Neuchatel, Yverdon-les-Bains. (It originates at Sankt Gallen, stops at Zürich Flughafen and continues from Geneve to Geneve-Aeroport).
IC3020 travels Zürich Hauptbahnhof-Geneve in 3:13. It makes just 3 intermediate stops - Bern, Fribourg, Lausanne. (It also originates at Sankt Gallen, stops at Zürich Flughafen and continues from Geneve to Geneve-Aeroport).

???

Zurich-Bern is one of the fastest routes in Switzerland with an average speed for non stop service of about 110 km/h. Part of the route is on a new alignment with top speed of 200 km/h. Zurich-Geneva is pretty fast for a standard railway as well. Mountain lines are slow, but the travel times between major cities are respectable. About the same as with a car (with no traffic), in some cases a bit faster.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:56 AM   #1174
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post

The answer is engineering works. You've been looking at at timetable which is not the normal one.
Zürich - Geneve via the Jura line is 2:38, via Bern is 2:43. So not much difference. The Jura line is a bit shorter, the route via Bern allows higher speeds. Zürich - Bern is about 135 km, and the trains do it in 54 minutes, which is not bad at all. Virtually nobody in Bern who has business in Zürich goes there by car.
However this saturday (and I also believe sunday and next weekend) trains will indeed take longer on that route, but that is because of engineering work. They are routed via the old line, and have a long stop in Bern because the delay makes them miss their slot on Bern - Lausanne, and as a result they indeed take longer. The online timetable reflects this. This is however not the normal state of affairs.
Old May 4th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #1175
Coccodrillo

This weekend the times between Zürich and Bern have been extended because of some works on the new Olten-Bern railway.

Normal timetable:
Zürich 10.32, Bern 11.28/11.34, Fribourg 11.56, Lausanne 12.42, Genève 13.15

Extended timetable:
Zürich 10.32, Bern 11.38/12.04, Fribourg 12.26, Lausanne 13.12, Genève 13.45

Luzern-Bern-Genève trains are also delayed 30 minutes from Bern, so in Bern they swap their time slots (the IC from Zürich leaves at 12.04 instead of 11.34, so the train from Luzern leaves at 12.34 instead of 12.04).

Zürich-Genève usually takes 2.38 via Neuchâtel and 2.43 via Bern, this because the line Bern-Lausanne is curvy and slower than the other line (although on this latter trains make more stops).

edit: contemporary with K_

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old May 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1176
eu01

Likes (Received): 293

I've just tested a very reasonable way to get (mostly) by rail from Geneva to Besançon, France.
First take a train to Nyon, e.g.
Geneve Cornavin 15:33 - Nyon 15:46
Than take a scenic narrow-gauge connection to La Cure
Nyon 15:52 - La Cure 16:44
Order a taxi to get to Morez (22 EUR, not bad if more than one travelling)
Continue by regional train to the destination (the extraordinary mountain views here as well)
Morez 18:01 - Besançon 19:56, direct connection at least on Fridays.
Why am I writing this? Well, until the 1950's the trains using the narrow gauge track from Nyon ended in Morez and it was possible to travel entirely on rails. One can still observe some old tunnels and embankments, now abandoned. Unfortunately in many parts of Europe the various trans-border rail connections aren't doing well (disused, underused or dismantled). A pity for me.

Last edited by eu01; May 4th, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
eu01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #1177
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Isn't it the case some rail lines had just become unfit for modern trains? Many mountains lines just became obsolete due to their poor design.

Btw, is the line to La Cure electrified or not?
=============

Is the train to Martigny-Chamonix operated by SBB all the way?
Old May 4th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #1178
Coccodrillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Isn't it the case some rail lines had just become unfit for modern trains? Many mountains lines just became obsolete due to their poor design.
The French part of the Nyon-Morez line has been closed because of...the French, who did not want to keep it open. The Swiss part is undergoing improvement works.

Quote:
Btw, is the line to La Cure electrified or not?
Yes, like all railways with regular service located in Switzerland (only a few tourist and freight only lines, plus one passenger line now being electrified belonging to the Deutsche Bahn, are not electrified). There are however a few diesel service of neighbouring countries entering Switzerland on electrified lines.

Quote:
Is the train to Martigny-Chamonix operated by SBB all the way?
No, it is operated by TMR on the Swiss side and by SNCF on the French side (with trough running trains).

Old May 4th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #1179
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
That is absurd.

Switzerland has a large mountain line network... does Switzerland have many modern train models newly designed specifically to fit poorly designed, obsolete mountain lines?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #1180
K_

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu01 View Post
I've just tested a very reasonable way to get (mostly) by rail from Geneva to Besançon, France.
First take a train to Nyon, e.g.
Geneve Cornavin 15:33 - Nyon 15:46
Than take a scenic narrow-gauge connection to La Cure
Nyon 15:52 - La Cure 16:44
Order a taxi to get to Morez (22 EUR, not bad if more than one travelling)
Continue by regional train to the destination (the extraordinary mountain views here as well)
Morez 18:01 - Besançon 19:56, direct connection at least on Fridays.
But there are still trains from Le Loclé to Besançon. Or you could have gone via Dôle. You didn't need to make it so complicated...

Tags
basel, zurich