daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #1401
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

It has been announced that the first stage of Zurich Cross-city ling (Durchmesserlinie) will be officially opened for traffic 200 days from now (June 15th 2014). Initially it will be only for Zurich S-Bahn which will go use the new Weinberg tunnel from Zurich HB to Oerlikon. Intercity trains from East Switzerland to the West (St Gallen to Geneva, for example) will be able to use the link by the end of 2015 and the whole project is slated to be finished in 2018.

http://www.nzz.ch/aktuell/zuerich/ue...hof-1.18192703
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #1402
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
I'm pretty sure they do demount them for summer season. The only purpose those wood barriers fulfill is that of a snow fence i. e. to keep snow drifted by snow away from the track. Wood is the cheapest and sturdiest way to build a removable barrier. Concrete slabs would be a very stupid choice as you'd probably need a crane to move them.
I see different possible solutions to the problem:

1. Build a permanent concrete structure (with emergency doors every 50m so that you don't need to make it into a full-fledged tunnel that requires all safety systems.

2. Build a movable steel panel system (that can me hydraulically lifted in place or put underground, panel by panel, as weather conditions require
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #1403
thun

The first one is plain stupid. It's a scenic railway for tourism. Blocking the sight unneccessarily is the dumbest thing you can do.
The second one is just idioticly complicated, unreliable an unneccessarily expensive.
Old November 29th, 2013, 12:09 AM   #1404
Stainless

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I see different possible solutions to the problem:

1. Build a permanent concrete structure (with emergency doors every 50m so that you don't need to make it into a full-fledged tunnel that requires all safety systems.

2. Build a movable steel panel system (that can me hydraulically lifted in place or put underground, panel by panel, as weather conditions require
That is a solution in search of a problem
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #1405
steple

Likes (Received): 1142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
I don't think I've evern seen before a 4 FLIRT composition, maybe on BLS but never on CFF. Is it common on the line? are they common services like those operated by BLS where the trains divide afterwards to serve different destinations? edit: sorry, I just noticed these are actually not CFF trains!
That was a test train last week on 21 and 22 November.. Have a look at the press release from SOB (only in German):

Quote:
Superflirt getestet

28. November 2013

Die Schweizerische Südostbahn AG (SOB) und Stadler Rail testeten dieser Tage erfolgreich eine aussergewöhnliche Zugkomposition zwischen Herisau und Sargans, eine 4-fach-Traktion.

Nach der Zulassung der letzten Flirts der zweiten Serie sind nun 23 Flirt-Fahrzeuge bei der SOB im Einsatz. Fahrzeuge der ersten und der zweiten Serie können kombiniert werden. Inwieweit die Befehlsübergabe bei vier Zügen funktioniert, testeten dieser Tage die Spezialisten von Stadler Rail und der SOB. Die 4-fach-Traktion mass 300 Meter Länge und wog 480 Tonnen. Die SOB-Flirts können bei ihrer Fahrt rund um den Säntis bis 160 km/h erreichen und werden ab dem Fahrplanwechsel rund um den Säntis unterwegs sein.

In der Regel sind zwei Flirts allenfalls drei in Kombination im Einsatz. Die Fahrzeuge sind zwar für die 4-fach-Traktion zugelassen, werden aber kaum je in dieser Komposition regulär eingesetzt werden, zumal auch die Bahnhöfe entlang der Strecke nicht auf derartig lange Züge ausgelegt sind. Nach dem Warum dieser langen Komposition befragt, erläuterte SOB-Projektleiter Hanspeter Schenk: «Wir wollten prüfen, ob die Befehlsübertragung vom bedienten Führerraum über die Leittechnik bis zum Zugschluss funktioniert – und das hat bestens geklappt.»

and from bahnonline.ch

Vaud, 3737, Die_Heart_Mansoor liked this post
steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 05:53 PM   #1406
steple

Likes (Received): 1142

Durchmesserlinie Zürich DML cross city link update:

source: http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/zuerich/...story/20628841
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1407
MajKeR_
¡La Ley y la Justicia!

Likes (Received): 9078

Quote:
Originally Posted by steple View Post
That was a test train last week on 21 and 22 November.. Have a look at the press release from SOB (only in German):
Is Stadler planning at least the full replace of Flirt II by Flirt III?

Kiedy padł ten pierwszy strzał, Kosteczku, to wszystko się zaczęło, zaczęli strzelać ci grenszuce, których chłopcy jeszcze nie zdążyli rozbroić, i zaczęli strzelać ci chłopcy, którzy już mieli jakieś karabiny albo nulachty, i posypało się trochę strzałów. Słyszałeś krzyki:
- Erich dostoł! - i do dziś nie wiesz, czy to krzyczał grenszuc, czy powstaniec.
Szczepan Twardoch, „Morfina”, o wybuchu I powstania śląskiego.
MajKeR_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #1408
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1582

The renovation works of the Geneva train station are reaching the final steps today the renovated Hall was finally open, although obviously furniture and shops are still missing on one side

[IMG]http://i44.************/11sfki1.jpg[/IMG]
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #1409
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #1410
Sunfuns

Today is the date of the annual timetable change in Switzerland. The major news is the establishment of St Gallen S-Bahn network in Eastern Switzerland. The overall effect is about 30% more trains in St Gallen station, half hourly intervals for most connections, 15 min for few busier routes. Few smaller stations will see less connections though because some express routes have been sped up by eliminating less used stops.

Here is a map of the new network: http://sbahn-sg.ch/fileadmin/Images/...ennetzplan.pdf

Some articles about this new development:
http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/ost...id2567640.html
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-Bahn_St._Gallen

You might notice that Appenzeller Bahn is not part of this network. The reason is that because of a steep terrain some routes use rack and pinion (not sure if I translated that correctly) thus limiting speeds and frequencies. There is a plan to fix this by building a tunnel (opening in 2016). From 2014 S3 will be extended once an hour to Bregenz in Austria and from 2015 there will be a tri-national connection from Buchs to Feldkirch (Austria) via Lichtenstein.

Minor changes in the rest of the Swiss network, the three most noticeable probably being elimination of food carts in the long distance trains (restaurant cars stay), increase of travel time between Zurich and Milan by 20 min (to improve connections they say, but more likely to deal with never ending delays originating in Italy) and temporary introduction of Zurich-Munich buses because of delayed electrification works between Lindau and Munich in Germany.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old December 15th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1411
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Already now the Austrian S3 is very well connected with S-Bahn St. Gallen at St. Margrethen (connections ever half an hour during peak times).
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #1412
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
From 2014 S3 will be extended once an hour to Bregenz in Austria and from 2015 there will be a tri-national connection from Buchs to Feldkirch (Austria) via Lichtenstein.
Are there plans for building a station within Liechtenstein, then maybe a tramway to Vaduz?

Viac liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:08 AM   #1413
Sunfuns

Quote:
Are there plans for building a station within Liechtenstein, then maybe a tramway to Vaduz?
In principle there are already 3 stations on this route within Lichtenstein with Schaan-Vaduz being the closest to Vaduz itself (3.5 km). By the way Schaan is the largest town in Lichtenstein. I haven't heard about any plans to build any rail transport between those two towns. Probably no need - a simple city bus connection should do just fine.

Right now the local rail traffic on this route is very low and irregular (5-6 regional trains a day) and the real traffic is done with buses, but as I mentioned all that will change in 2015 when there will be a half hourly S-bahn covering this route. The reason for so few local connections is that a lot of freight and long distance passenger trains between Switzerland and Austria use this single track route.
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #1414
Suburbanist
on the road

So rail links A <=> CH are as subpar as road links (there are two parallel freeways on both sides, yet they don't have a direct link between both countries).
Old December 16th, 2013, 01:52 AM   #1415
Sunfuns

It's not a great link for sure, but the reason it has taken so long to upgrade is that it connects one the least densely populated areas in Switzerland with the same in Austria. There is more than 200 km from St Gallen to Innsbruck, the first sizeable Austrian city, over mountainous landscape.
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #1416
Suburbanist
on the road

Yes, the Voralberg Railway is slow and needs improvements to bring Innsbruck and the future Brennero base tunnel within easier reach of Switzerland
Old December 16th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #1417
Sunfuns

Quote:
Yes, the Voralberg Railway is slow and needs improvements to bring Innsbruck and the future Brennero base tunnel within easier reach of Switzerland
Why? We'll have our own base tunnel to Italy and much sooner than the one in Austria. Improvements for local traffic are more worthwhile on this route and those will happen.
Old December 16th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #1418
StuZealand

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Why? We'll have our own base tunnel to Italy and much sooner than the one in Austria.
Do you mean the CBT?
StuZealand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1419
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
So rail links A <=> CH are as subpar as road links (there are two parallel freeways on both sides, yet they don't have a direct link between both countries).
It's "sub par" only on your imagination (as per usual...)

Vaud liked this post
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #1420
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Right now the local rail traffic on this route is very low and irregular (5-6 regional trains a day) and the real traffic is done with buses, but as I mentioned all that will change in 2015 when there will be a half hourly S-bahn covering this route. The reason for so few local connections is that a lot of freight and long distance passenger trains between Switzerland and Austria use this single track route.
There's 18 train pairs on that route, 9 of them stop in Schaan, so it's already somewhat better.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
basel, zurich