daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #1721
Vaud
Registered User
 
Vaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canterbury\Genève
Posts: 837
Likes (Received): 1571

And....

the CFF are testing in Luzern's RER new trains with standing area, breaking away from the company's motto "one seat for each passanger"



Read: news

I don't think most customers will mind the new configuration... I myself wouldn't, but of course it depends on the distance, I hope they'll never try such thing on Geneva-Lausanne for example
__________________
j' les trains
« Plus d'entrain pour la Suisse »
Visitez le Forum Suisse!
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #1722
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 361

I've seen it on some S-Bahn's in Basel area. Definitely don't like it, it's not so crowded here that it would be the only option.
__________________

Robi_damian liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #1723
samba_man
1 ...2....3...
 
samba_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 17,784
Likes (Received): 19944

Amazing infrastructures.
__________________
|<O>| Proud to be Brazilian
samba_man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #1724
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
On an other order of things... Geneva's "Business Point" (a sort of lounge à la airport) in Cornavin train station opened today It can be accessed by users owning a 1st class AG or a 1st class international single ticket. It joins Bern's, which was until today the only such CFF's lounge.
There's one in Zürich. Didn't know there was one in Bern. Have to look for it next time...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2014, 03:09 PM   #1725
Vaud
Registered User
 
Vaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canterbury\Genève
Posts: 837
Likes (Received): 1571

Zurich has an SBB Lounge, as does also Geneva now: CFF Lounge

But Geneva also offer the business point, which is only available in Bern other than Geneva: CFF Business Point
__________________
j' les trains
« Plus d'entrain pour la Suisse »
Visitez le Forum Suisse!
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #1726
steple
Registered User
 
steple's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 311
Likes (Received): 1142

Some pictures from today (18 May)

Re 460 running along Lake Zürich:



Lake Zürich again, with a commuter push-pull train and the so called "Churchill Arrow" from 1939 (75 years old now!)



Close-up of the "Churchill Arrow":



all photos by Georg Trüb/railpictures.net
__________________

kyah117, Perennial Quest, Nordic20T liked this post
steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 12:29 AM   #1727
steple
Registered User
 
steple's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 311
Likes (Received): 1142

Gotthard Railway:







photos by Georg Trüb/railpictures.net
__________________

kyah117, Perennial Quest, 3locations liked this post
steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:13 AM   #1728
steple
Registered User
 
steple's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 311
Likes (Received): 1142

Test trains in the new underground station in Zürich:
(sorry for the big pictures...)











source: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...rlinie?fref=ts
__________________

kyah117, KingNick, 3locations liked this post
steple no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:30 AM   #1729
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 361

Only four weeks left now.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:15 PM   #1730
dimlys1994
Moderator
 
dimlys1994's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dniepropetrovsk
Posts: 16,334
Likes (Received): 26107

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Basel Airport rail link plan revived
Friday, May 23, 2014


Artist's impression of the proposed partly-underground station at Basel airport

PLANS to build a rail link to Basel's bi-national airport, Euroairport, located over the Swiss border in France, have been revived by Mr Philippe Richert, president of the Regional Council of Alsace, who is pushing for the project to be realised by 2020.

Plans for a rail link have been under discussion for years but foundered on the question of finance. Now the proposal have been given fresh impetus by Richert who stated this week that the project, which involves building a 7km branch line off the Basel - Mulhouse main line, must go ahead.

According to Richert, the scheme would come under the next seven-year agreement with the French government for major infrastructure projects, on which a decision will be taken in June.

Funding for the €260m project is expected to come from a number of sources. The French government and the Alsace regional government are each expected to contribute €35m or €40m, plus €10m from Upper Alsace, and €5m from Mulhouse. The airport authority would contribute €40m, and €50m has been promised by the European Union. The remaining €70 - 80m would be covered by the Swiss government, plus €10m from the adjoining German state of Baden-Württemberg.

Richert says the project must be independent of other pending issues concerning the bi-national status of Euroairport and its tax situation. A solution is pressing, as the bus service currently serving the airport from Basel is hopelessly overloaded, especially at peak times
__________________

3locations liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 03:56 PM   #1731
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 361

Railway link would be cool, but honestly I don't see a serious overloading of bus services. Not to Basel at least. If at all possible I use this airport for my flights. Saves at least 2 h over going to Zurich.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:12 PM   #1732
Vaud
Registered User
 
Vaud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canterbury\Genève
Posts: 837
Likes (Received): 1571

Trains have the advantage of going faster, e.g. it takes 6min from the city centre to Geneva airport by rail, vs ~25min by bus. It also greatly increases the speed to reach it for people from other cantons going to that airport, which would mostly be BL, since Basel of course has the "disadvantage" of having Zurich's airport competition.
__________________
j' les trains
« Plus d'entrain pour la Suisse »
Visitez le Forum Suisse!
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:29 PM   #1733
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaud View Post
Trains have the advantage of going faster, e.g. it takes 6min from the city centre to Geneva airport by rail, vs ~25min by bus. It also greatly increases the speed to reach it for people from other cantons going to that airport, which would mostly be BL, since Basel of course has the "disadvantage" of having Zurich's airport competition.
No doubt rail would be faster (currently 22 min by bus), I'm just saying that the current solution is not horrible. Basel airport has the advantage of being less crowded. It's perfectly fine to arrive just an hour before the flight.

Maybe rail connection would make a bigger difference from Mulhouse. Albeit my anecdotal observations indicate that 2/3 (of not more) of passengers travel to/from Switzerland.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 05:51 PM   #1734
earthJoker
Ölm
 
earthJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,806
Likes (Received): 1988

I flied once from Basel, and honestly I think the bus connection sucks. It was full and I had to stand both ways, it didn't have enough space for all luggage. It's not even a direct bus, it stops several times.
__________________
Is that you, John Wayne? Is this me?

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 06:15 PM   #1735
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
I flied once from Basel, and honestly I think the bus connection sucks. It was full and I had to stand both ways, it didn't have enough space for all luggage. It's not even a direct bus, it stops several times.
I'm at the airport as I type this. Had to stand as well...

The station will also improve access for commuters, people working at the airport. On could run a train Freiburg - Mullhdim - Mulhouse - airport - st Louis - Basel...
There was I time I wondered wether just building a station on the existing line, and a people mover, would be more efficient, but I've since seen a study claiming that this solution isn't in fact that much more economical then moving the line closer to the terminal...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #1736
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 361

In my opinion there are two rail related improvements in Basel area which would make a major difference. Both has to do with better integration of German and French suburbs (that's what they are really) in the S-Bahn network. The easiest part would be to coordinate schedules with Alsace RER and run all S1 services through Basel SBB all the way to Mulhouse. A lot of people commute from St-Louis and surrounding villages to work in Basel area. Mostly by car because train service is not adequate, particularly if your work is not in the city of Basel itself. I know this has been talked about for years if not decades, but nothing happens… The other and much more expensive project (also in long term plans already) would be to dig a tunnel from Basel SBB via city centre to Badischer Bahnhof. That would allow most German trains to reach Swiss station with only a short dwell time at Badischer Bahnhof (currently through trains stand there for a long time). Additionally it would free the current Rhine crossing for more freight trains. We could also then rearrange S-Bahn routes. For example splitting S3 into Porrentruy-Basel and Olten-Freiburg services might make sense.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #1737
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
The easiest part would be to coordinate schedules with Alsace RER and run all S1 services through Basel SBB all the way to Mulhouse. A lot of people commute from St-Louis and surrounding villages to work in Basel area. Mostly by car because train service is not adequate, particularly if your work is not in the city of Basel itself.
The problem here is SNCF, and RFF. SBB would love to have the S1 run all the way to Mulhouse every 30 minutes. That was the plan all along, and SBB even bought special train sets for this. But they never got permission to run in France...
The other issue is that the quality of public transport in France and Germany isn't on the same level as in Switzerland.
I work in Basel, and it is assumed as a matter of fact that anyone commuting from Switzerland does so by public transport, whereas those that live in France or Germany come by car. A major reason is that the public transport network in Switzerland is so good that it allows you to completely forego owning a car. If you don't own a car, commuting by public transit is obvious.
However in France or Germany you will still need a car, even if you choose to use public transit to commute to work. But if you already own a car it becomes tempting to use it for commuting as well...


Quote:
The other and much more expensive project (also in long term plans already) would be to dig a tunnel from Basel SBB via city centre to Badischer Bahnhof.
This could actually happen, but it's a long term project. Here it's called the "Herzstuck".
http://www.herzstueck-basel.ch

Quote:
That would allow most German trains to reach Swiss station with only a short dwell time at Badischer Bahnhof (currently through trains stand there for a long time).
It would only allow trains from the S&, and the RB to Schaffhausen to enter SBB without reversing direction in Bad. For long distance trains nothing would change, they would keep the current routing.


The main reason why long distance trains have such a long stand still in Bad at the moment is that they have so much buffer in the timetable at the moment that if they leave Freiburg on time they arrive in Basel Bad. Bf up to 10 minutes to early...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #1738
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
The problem here is SNCF, and RFF. SBB would love to have the S1 run all the way to Mulhouse every 30 minutes. That was the plan all along, and SBB even bought special train sets for this. But they never got permission to run in France...
I know the problem here is with SNCF, but it would be a major improvement without a large investment. I'm still hoping that one day they'll patch their differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
The other issue is that the quality of public transport in France and Germany isn't on the same level as in Switzerland.
I work in Basel, and it is assumed as a matter of fact that anyone commuting from Switzerland does so by public transport, whereas those that live in France or Germany come by car. A major reason is that the public transport network in Switzerland is so good that it allows you to completely forego owning a car. If you don't own a car, commuting by public transit is obvious.
Right, but it could be made better in this particular border area. And it's not true that Swiss don't commute by car. I work ca 30 km upriver from Basel and most co-workers who don't live in Basel or directly on the train line Basel-Rheinfelden-Zurich drive to work. I don't think it would be all that great living in one of the small villages around here without a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
However in France or Germany you will still need a car, even if you choose to use public transit to commute to work. But if you already own a car it becomes tempting to use it for commuting as well...
It is tiresome and more expensive. I've heard from several co-workers living in France that they'd love to drive or cycle to one of the train stations in France and continue with a train. Some already do, but it takes a lot of effort and lost time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
It would only allow trains from the S&, and the RB to Schaffhausen to enter SBB without reversing direction in Bad. For long distance trains nothing would change, they would keep the current routing.
Long distance trains don't matter so much in this context, they could keep the current routing. It would be useful though if local trains from Freiburg could reach Basel SBB.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #1739
K_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,744
Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Long distance trains don't matter so much in this context, they could keep the current routing. It would be useful though if local trains from Freiburg could reach Basel SBB.
But local trains already can continue to Basel SBB...

One problem at the moment is capacity on the Rhine bridge however. But that is going to be no longer a problem once both bridges are in use.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #1740
Sunfuns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Basel
Posts: 2,426
Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
But local trains already can continue to Basel SBB..
Currently only S6 from Zell im Wiesental does that. It would be useful if regional DB trains from Freiburg continued to SBB as well.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
basel, zurich

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium