daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2014, 03:45 AM   #1761
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Is it possible to switch from LGV Est to LGV Nord without entering Paris? If so another hour could be saved on this route. 5 1/2 h trip would already be attractive to significant number of people.
Absolutely, it is possible to avoid Paris entirely using the Interconnexion Est. Here is the junction between LGV Est and the connector, which goes under CDG airport and joins the LGV Nord

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2014, 09:58 AM   #1762
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Which international services are currently being run by SBB? I'm aware only of routes to Milan plus some suburban routes here in Basel area…
Zurich-Munich is 4x daily on SBB EC trains, as is the Chur-Zurich-Luxembourg-Brussels service (IIRC it's all SBB coaches now, with the Belgian coaches pulled off the route a couple of years ago). I'm not sure about the Interlaken-Bern-Luxembourg-Brussels route, but I think it's SBB coaches as well. The Zurich-Innsbruck-Graz train uses ÖBB coaches but has a 1st class SBB panorama coach included in the stack.

Edit: My info on the Brussels routes is obviously outdated. Looks like they only start from Basel now, so I do not know what coaches they use!
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #1763
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
My info on the Brussels routes is obviously outdated. Looks like they only start from Basel now, so I do not know what coaches they use!
SNCB coaches again since December 15th. See
http://www.wallorail.be/actu2013/ind...vauban-et-iris (in french)
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 12:01 PM   #1764
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62889

The "seehas" services in Germany between Konstanz, Radolfzell, Singen and Engen are also operated by the SBB, they use Flirts on this regional service.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:22 PM   #1765
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Opening ceremony of the DML was today.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 07:37 PM   #1766
Suburbanist
on the road

Does anyone know about the official internal language policy of SBB/FFS/CFF? Does it have some departments that work in one language and others in a different one? Are managers above certain level required to be trilingual?
Old June 12th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #1767
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Train conductors (I'm not sure it's the correct term, I mean those who check the tickets) have to speak the languages of the lines they work on (which basically means German, German+French, or German+Italian). I think it's the same for train drivers. The level required in the non-mother language is not high, B1 I think (and one can clearly notice that hearing announcements).

In the photo above you can see Andreas Meyer (SBB's CEO, second from the right) and Doris Leuthard (Transport Minister, the one in the middle), both of them also speak Italian (not fluently).

Generally speaking, I'm not aware of any formal requirement about languages in Swiss federal politic, but the ministers always speak German and French, MPs often do. Sometimes ministers and MPs who are not Italian-speaking (or Romansh-) also speak Italian. Language proportions are roughly 64% German (Alemannic), 20% French, 7% Italian, 1% Romansh. As far I remember, only one minister (ferderal councilior) since 1848 was a Romansh-speaker.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #1768
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Most if not all conductors also speak passable English.
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #1769
CRS-moto

Likes (Received): 41

DML is really cool!
CRS-moto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 03:12 PM   #1770
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...installed.html

Synthetic wood sleepers installed
14 Jun 2014

SWITZERLAND: BLS is installing FFU synthetic wood sleepers supplied by Japanese firm Sekisui at three sites for trials.

The first installation was at Frutigen station, where FFU turnout bearers are being tested.

The fibre-reinforced foam urethane sleepers were supplied pre-drilled to SBB's Hägendorf workshop, where the turnouts were prefabricated for transport to the worksite in two panels
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #1771
Suburbanist
on the road

Why not go to ballastless tracks once and for all?
Old June 14th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #1772
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Why not go to ballastless tracks once and for all?
Because it's expensive.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 11:17 PM   #1773
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
Because it's expensive.
But cheaper in the long-term, isn't it?
Old June 15th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #1774
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
But cheaper in the long-term, isn't it?
I'm quite certain BLS and SBB know how to perform a life cycle cost-benefit analysis. And they're used to plan decades ahead...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #1775
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

I'm after a bit of advice please.

I'm thinking of going to the Geneva Motorshow next year but instead of stopping in Geneva as we usually do we're thinking of staying in Lausanne. We would be flying into Geneva on the Friday and leaving on the Sunday. I realise that the Palexpo is at the airport but what would be the best ticket(s) to get?
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #1776
Vaud

Likes (Received): 1590

AFAIK every year the CFF sell special tickets for the event, see here: http://www.cff.ch/loisirs-et-vacance...gurl=salonauto

If you have tickets, you can get a 10% discount, otherwise you can buy the combined Motor show+rail ticket together, either directly on the normal machines or from their travel agents, and it offers an additional 30% discount on the entry ticket.

Since you are arriving from Geneva airport, you would need a normal one-way ticket for friday to Lausanne, you could get the special combined one for saturday, and the 10% on sunday for a one-way ticket, although I'm 75% certain you can't get the discount for one-way trips. So basically, save for saturday, you can't get anything better than the normal rail tickets since Lausanne is not over 100km away from Geneva.

Fatfield liked this post
Vaud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:53 PM   #1777
Coccodrillo

Remember that Geneva Airport - Lausanne second class one way is 26 CHF, or around 21 EUR (because discounts are available for frequent users).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Fatfield liked this post
Old June 16th, 2014, 11:24 PM   #1778
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Thanks Vaud & Coccodrillo.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #1779
Coccodrillo

Some infos about the ETR 470/ETR 610:
* with the new timetable since Sudnay 15th June the Gotthard EC seem more reliable, but they are sistematically delaying Milan suburban trains (nearly conflicting paths: Milan suburban network timetable was planned with a different time slot for EuroCitys in mind)
* trains EC 317 and 320 are made with an ICN and a 6-car Flirt, with transhipment in Lugano (note that a 6-car Flirt offers 140 less seats than the ETR 470 it replaces...)
* two of the eight new ETR 610 (now renamed RABe 503 by SBB) will enter service in November on trains 317 and 320 (one in service, one held in reserve)
* a Bellinzona-Milano round trip might be created in the future, to bring back the RABe 503 in Switzerland for the night (cleaning, light maintenance, and prevention of vandalism)
* more RABe 503s will replaces SBB's ETR 470s starting from 2015
* but Trenitalia's ETR 470s will continue to run on the Gotthard at least until December 2015 (or until when enough ETR 400s will be delivered so that to free up existing ETR 610s)

That's all for now. Remember that since the end of Cisalpino the ETR 470s and ETR 610s have become two (four) separate fleets, so that a service booked for an SBB's 470 will never be worked by a Trenitalia's 470, although they were originally identical. But that's not the case anymore: as far I know, SBB's 470s have received new toilets of a different type, then SBB and Trenitalia use different catering services for the restaurant cars, and obviously there are different logos and information panels between the two fleets. The same happens for the 610s, although Trenitalia's 610s do not run on EC services anymore.

Old June 18th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #1780
Suburbanist
on the road

"Prevention of vandalism" sounds like just a cheap jab at RFI.

Tags
basel, zurich