daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 149 votes, 4.89 average.
Old February 12th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #3041
flange

Likes (Received): 639

JoJo Maman Bebe are planning to open on Saturday 18th February.
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #3042
flange

Likes (Received): 639

Quote:
tesco wins consent for glasgow harbour store

January 2012

Tesco Stores has won planning consent to create a new £30 million superstore on the edge of the Clyde. The foodstore site is part of the overall 130-acre site that will be transformed into a Tesco Extra store near the Thornwood roundabout at the west end of the Glasgow Harbour development area. The store, located between Partick and Whiteinch will be 100,000 square feet and could create several hundred new jobs.

Glasgow Harbour is a new district in the vibrant West End and when complete will provide an integrated mix of high-quality commercial, residential, retail, leisure and public space. The regeneration area covers 52 hectares (130-acre) integrated development, with an investment value of over £1.2 billion. Glasgow Harbour is one of the largest waterfront regeneration projects within the UK, and will be a major contributor to the growth of Scotland's economy. A key element in the Harbour development is the outdoors with around 50 acres of parkland and 3km of riverside walkways and cycle paths being provided to enable visitors and residents to enjoy the outdoors in the heart of the city.

As part of the design team Waterman Boreham was responsible for advising Tesco on all Transportation matters associated with delivering a foodstore in this location. As part of the advice Waterman Boreham was involved in studying the infrastructure requirements on one of the busiest sections of road network in the city, the Clydeside Expressway. Waterman Boreham investigated the suitability of the highway improvements proposed in an earlier option for the site and in doing so presented amendments to the infrastructure proposals to ensure delivery of an optimum scheme suitable of accommodating the Tesco proposals and the future consents in the area.

The supporting Transport Assessment was accepted by the Local Authority and the proposals were subsequently granted planning consent subject to various planning conditions
http://www.waterman-boreham.com/glas...r_consent.html
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #3043
Squirrelking
Consider deleted

Likes (Received): 240

Well, thats the harbour officially given up on I guess.
Squirrelking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #3044
drjimmy

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelking View Post
Well, thats the harbour officially given up on I guess.
From Wikipedia...A harbor or harbour (see spelling differences), or haven, is a place where ships, boats, and barges can seek shelter through stormy weather, or else are stored for future use. Harbors can be natural or artificial. An artificial harbor has deliberately-constructed breakwaters, sea walls, or jettys, or otherwise, they could have been constructed by dredging, and these require maintenance by further periodic dredging. An example of the former kind is at Long Beach Harbor, California, and an example of the latter kind is San Diego Harbor, California, which was, under natural conditions, too shallow for modern merchant ships and warships.

Says nothing about a few flats and yet another Tesco.
drjimmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #3045
Squirrelking
Consider deleted

I'm sorry, I shall try again.

Well, thats the harbour development officially given up on I guess.

I really don't have the time or energy to go digging up the official development notes and such to check the proper title for the scheme so for the duration of this conversation can we just agree that when I say 'harbour' I'm referring to the development area known as 'Glasgow Harbour' and not anything else? I really hope this is acceptable and doesn't cause people to confuse this development with one of the many other non-existant harbours in the Greater Glasgow area.

[/sarcasm] - in case that wasn't blatantly fucking obvious either.
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #3046
drjimmy

Likes (Received): 125

Sorry, wasn't aimed at you, rather at the development and the daft name given to it.
drjimmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #3047
Squirrelking
Consider deleted

Ah, sorry...

Night shifts are not kind to my sense of humour or interpretation.
Old February 13th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3048
david_gla

Likes (Received): 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOPPINGPARK View Post
I share your doubts about the shop units in the Buchanan Quarter being complete next year, hopefully though we will be wrong.
Went past today, there's a substantial amount of steel up already, they're going like the clappers. At this rate next year will be no problem.
david_gla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3049
craig lindsay

Likes (Received): 7

HoF unveils details of extended Portas collaboration.

Quote:
House of Fraser has revealed further details of its continued collaboration with retail guru Mary Portas.

Earlier this month Drapers revealed that Portas will launch four more Mary & House of Fraser shop-in-shops, extending her collaboration with the department store group.

Each new Mary shop, which will open at House of Fraser stores in Westfield London, Guildford, Manchester and Glasgow, has its own personality and a hand-picked team of stylists personally trained by Portas.

Although each new boutique will have a nod to Portas’ original shop-in-shop at the Oxford Street branch of House of Fraser in London, they will also pick up on the history and heritage of the individual host city.

In Manchester, an original loom will be the shop centrepiece because of the city’s rich textile manufacture heritage.

For spring 12 new additions to the store concept are British jewellery from Tatty Devine and natural beauty products by Cowshed.

Portas’ new made-in-Britain knicker range, Kinky Knickers, which launched in Liberty last week, will also be sold via the shop-in-shops.

“The success of Mary Portas at House of Fraser has been unprecedented. Our customers are excited about and engaged with Mary’s vision and product,” said Stephanie Chen executive director of womenswear at House of Fraser.

“We’ve expanded the collections and been quite daring this season, taking on board the huge amount of insightful feedback that we have received from women across the country.”

The Mary store at Westfield London will open on March 8 followed by the Guildford store the following week on March 15, the Manchester store on March 22 and finally the Glasgow store on April 4.
http://www.drapersonline.com/hof-unv...033670.article
craig lindsay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3050
trumpet

Likes (Received): 0

Silverburn

Clarks, are opening a new store in april, not sure which unit theyve took. I work for them, and vacancies came through yesterday.
trumpet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #3051
craig lindsay

Silverburn.

How many units are actually lying empty at Silverburn? I've read many times that the centre is 100% full.. So where will Clarks and Mango open then? Someone said that Mango were supposed to open in the Superdry unit, but I'm sure someone said that wasn't going ahead or something?
Old February 16th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #3052
jobsenski

Silverburn.

Well Barratts the shoe shop has shut down. So it's empty.

and the old principles unit that has been hawkins bazar / a furniture shop on and off is empty again.

I assume it is one of these...
jobsenski no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #3053
fazaz

I am very dubious about the Glasgow Fort development being "opened in 2013" as they state, explanation below.....

I used to own a business in the Glasgow Fort which opened at the start of 2008 - and when I opened, I was told that Phase 2 would be TRADING by that Christmas! Considering not a brick had been laid, I knew this was a load of crap

Then, after numerous delays, we were always told that Phase 2 building was commencing "later this year", and when that came and went, it was always "early next year" - and now it seems phase 2 (Marks & Sparks) has been put on ice altogether

Then came the cinema development, which again - was meant to happen years ago, and I have been hearing left right and centre from within Fort that is seems to be the same case as Phase 2 - "it will start later this year / early next year" and so on

Last I heard work was meant to start early in 2011, and now they are saying 2013 opening?? Hmmm......

I know it will happen eventually - but i'll believe it when I see it!
fazaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #3054
Ultima
Consider Deleted

Likes (Received): 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazaz View Post
I am very dubious about the Glasgow Fort development being "opened in 2013" as they state, explanation below.....

I used to own a business in the Glasgow Fort which opened at the start of 2008 - and when I opened, I was told that Phase 2 would be TRADING by that Christmas! Considering not a brick had been laid, I knew this was a load of crap

Then, after numerous delays, we were always told that Phase 2 building was commencing "later this year", and when that came and went, it was always "early next year" - and now it seems phase 2 (Marks & Sparks) has been put on ice altogether

Then came the cinema development, which again - was meant to happen years ago, and I have been hearing left right and centre from within Fort that is seems to be the same case as Phase 2 - "it will start later this year / early next year" and so on

Last I heard work was meant to start early in 2011, and now they are saying 2013 opening?? Hmmm......

I know it will happen eventually - but i'll believe it when I see it!
That's a shame Marks & Sparks isn't moving in to a site there. Any reason why they decided not to?
Ultima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #3055
fazaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
That's a shame Marks & Sparks isn't moving in to a site there. Any reason why they decided not to?
They still are being tipped to move in according to Fort - just on ice for now - but I am not convinced to be honest
fazaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #3056
craig lindsay

JoJo Maman Bebe.

JoJo Maman Bebe have opened on Great George Street in the former Intersport unit.
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #3057
trumpet

Glasgow Fort

Gravity are relocating to the former furniture innovations/birthdays unit to make way for swarovski.
trumpet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #3058
RapidTaco

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima View Post
I hope they don't open at The Fort at all. If people want Marks and Spencer, come into the city centre - Argyle Street and Sauchiehall Street thanks.
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:57 AM   #3059
milton

Likes (Received): 412

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidTaco View Post
I hope they don't open at The Fort at all. If people want Marks and Spencer, come into the city centre - Argyle Street and Sauchiehall Street thanks.
Agree. Fuck the Fort. It's hell.
milton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2012, 07:04 PM   #3060
craig lindsay

Tourist spending in UK cities increased in December.

Quote:
A new report examining tourist spending trends across the UK's major cities during December 2011, showed that visitors to Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Liverpool, London and Manchester spent 48% more than in December 2010.

The report by Premier Tax Free found that visitors to Glasgow came top, spending 175% more in December 2011 than in December 2010. Americans made up the majority of the rise, increasing their spending in the citymby more than 290%. Chinese visitors spent 180% more and visitors from the UAE 83% more. In comparison tourist spending in London and Manchester increased by 35% and in Edinburgh by 31%.

In London tourists typically spent £428 per sale in December. The report found that spending by Norwegians increased the most from 2010, with the nation spending 74% more. Spending by Qataris and Kuwaitis increased by 44% and 41% respectively while Americans spent 36% more.

December also showed some distinct tourist trading peaks in London. The most intense spending occurred between 23 and 31 December with 33% of total value. This is up 50% from the same period in 2010.

The biggest tourist spending day was Boxing Day, accounting for 5% of total tourist spending in the capital. This was 90% more than the same day in 2010, with a typical transaction value of £302.

Lebanese tourists took the greatest advantage of the sales, spending the most per transaction on Boxing Day at £1,225. They were followed by Saudi Arabians who spent £460 per sale.

The traffic free shopping days in London’s West End on 10 and 11 December also had a positive impact on tourist sales accounting for 5% of the total value of transactions over the month. In general, tourists spent £414 per transaction over the weekend, with those from Indonesia spending the most per transaction, at £1,473.

Duncan Bews, director of sales at Premier Tax Free said: "It is very encouraging to know that tourists are flocking to the UK to spend their money. These figures demonstrate how valuable the tourist industry is, especially over peak shopping periods."

He added: "In addition, these numbers show no signs of slowing down. Retailers need to make the most of visitors to the UK eager to take advantage of the lower pound. Those that convert the additional 20% tourists can claim back through tax free shopping into sales can make substantial gains."
http://www.theretailbulletin.com/new...reet_21-02-12/

Tags
retail

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: