daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2007, 02:51 AM   #1
TexasSkyWatcher
Supertall fan #1

Likes (Received): 2

DALLAS | Arts District Museum Tower | 171m | 560ft | 42 fl | Com

Just saw this in the Dallas Morning News...

]Developers hope their new condo skyscraper will be a standout in Dallas' downtown Arts District.

To buy into the ultramodern high-rise, residents will need to come up with $1 million for the smallest unit.

The 42-story condominium building is planned to overlook the new Woodall Rodgers park and will be constructed on Olive Street next to the Nasher Sculpture Center.

At 560 feet tall, Museum Tower is planned as the tallest totally residential building in town.

"It will transform the city's skyline," said Dan Boeckman, one of the partners in the project. "This will be another great piece of architecture in the Arts District."

The $200 million cylindrical tower was designed by Los Angeles architect Johnson Fain. The exterior of the high-rise is composed of three kinds of glass panels that will overlap like the scales on a fish.

The condo building is to contain between 100 and 125 residences, with some units taking entire floors. The smallest is around 1,500 square feet.

It's a radical departure from a much smaller building that the developers had previously intended to build there.

"We thought we had a truly irreplaceable site – the gateway to downtown and the Arts District," said developer John Sughrue with Brook Partners. "This is the opportunity to deliver an international quality development.

"It's a building that is befitting its Arts District neighborhood."

The developers have already vetted their project to groups who are building nearby performing arts venues.

"We had a great interest in what this is going to look like," said Bill Lively, president and chief executive of the Dallas Center for the Performing Arts. "We think it's very complementary."

The new residential project will include a spa, landscaped grounds and a private art gallery for residents.

Dallas chef and restaurateur Stephan Pyles has signed on to provide catering and other services.

Mr. Pyles will even plan kitchens in the units. "The buyers will have the option to go with a couple of different prototypes I design," he said. "There will be the opportunity for residents to have Stephan Pyles dinners, receptions, buffets, etc."

With its Arts District location, the builders are hoping the project will have wide appeal.

"The good news for them is the economy is doing pretty well," said Dallas residential consultant Mike Puls. "Also good for them, the best part of the condo market is the top quality project."

But Mr. Puls said that the minimum price for the units will limit the buyer pool. "A million bucks is a real big investment," he said.

The Museum Tower is competitively priced with the nearby Residences at the Ritz-Carlton building in Uptown, Mr. Puls said.

But the projects are vastly different in style.

The Museum Tower developers plan to open a marketing center in the Arts District next month. They intend to break ground for the building early next year.

"We have arts patrons who we think will be very interested in this project," said project partner Greg Greene. "We have already had a good reception from them."

The render did not show up on the web in the story, but you can see it here...

http://www.museumtowerdallas.com/#news

This is exciting finally, we have a 650 footer in the works now and this one will be 560'...two new towers for downtown that you can actually see from most places.
TexasSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

What is the 650 footer ? I know the Mandarin Oriental is around 600'.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #3
TexasSkyWatcher
Supertall fan #1

Snipped off the web....

Mandarin Oriental, Dallas will open in the city’s dynamic new Victory Park development, a USD 3 billion, 75-acre, mixed-use project located in the heart of Dallas. The hotel will occupy the first eleven floors of the new 43-storey, 650-foot Victory Tower, the architectural centerpiece of Victory Park and one of the tallest residential structures in the state of Texas. In addition to the 121-room hotel and 90 luxury residences, Victory Tower will also house 75,000 square feet of internationally-recognised luxury retail shopping and 275,000 square feet of premier commercial office space.
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #4
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Wow! I didn't know that it was that tall.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #5
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

There are actually two taller towers that are possible. One just got approval yesterday and actually had a deadline put on it. Another is apparently in negotiations over the parking structure.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #6
Tbite
Expert

Here's The Building

Last edited by Tbite; June 16th, 2007 at 10:25 AM.
Tbite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:27 AM   #7
TexasStar
MetroPlexer

Likes (Received): 48

MUSEUM TOWER
DALLAS ARTS DISTRICT

The Dallas Morning News
TexasStar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:24 AM   #8
TexasSkyWatcher
Supertall fan #1

I love this tower. I think the design is a good one for that area and I hope it sparks a new boom for residential towers in the city. I am enjoying the growth in the inner city that is turning around bad neighborhoods. The spillover business is good for me in the first and second time buyer market and is good the for the city's image.

Now if we could just get crime down a few notches, we'd be set.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:26 AM   #9
TexasSkyWatcher
Supertall fan #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
There are actually two taller towers that are possible. One just got approval yesterday and actually had a deadline put on it. Another is apparently in negotiations over the parking structure.
Yeah I was pretty shocked to hear about the height on that one, Dale....it's about time.

I haven't heard about them....how tall and where?
Old June 23rd, 2007, 02:41 AM   #10
drmadham

Likes (Received): 1

YEEES! bout time downtown dallas got a facelift.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:23 AM   #11
Phobos

Nice project.I liked the base with the V-shaped structure!
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:17 AM   #12
MDguy

I really like it, Great for Dallas! And i like the base too
MDguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:47 AM   #13
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Reminds me of 30 W. Oak (times 2) in Chicago sans the uncladded concrete:

By Retrograde
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:01 AM   #14
Ginza

Likes (Received): 7

it will look niceif built
Ginza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:36 AM   #15
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6524

nice but the design is nothing really special
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:09 PM   #16
Tbite
Expert

Called from a Newspaper.
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #17
rantanamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSkyWatcher View Post
Yeah I was pretty shocked to hear about the height on that one, Dale....it's about time.

I haven't heard about them....how tall and where?
Craig Hall's tower is taller than this one, and located a couple of blocks to the SE. Apparently the site(Dallas Stonehenge) is in litigation over parking spots. Hall claims this is the only hurdle the building faces. Something about an agreement about the existing garage and how many spaces who gets. Hall is trying to negotiate a new agreement and the city aint havin it. Dallas politics. Allsome.

(the Museum Tower site is where you see the looped road in the second pic above)

The other is the Corrigan Tower which looks very very likely to happen in lue of recent events at city hall.

These are in addition to the Mandorin Oriental tower.
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #18
TexasSkyWatcher
Supertall fan #1

Yep, I hope we see a lot more happen with the new mayor. I can't see the Craig Hall's Tower pics...I'll google it and see what I find, maybe they will list the height.
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #19
rantanamo

The new mayor seems like he will start like the rest of them and ignore things like this in lieu of fulfilling impossible promises for the next couple of years. Then will Dallas loses some big deal, then he will wake up.
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #20
TexasSkyWatcher
Supertall fan #1

It's not him you have to worry about, it's the moronic council members. From what I know of Tom, he will try his level best to get things done in the business arena. Laura never tried very hard, she was always against giving big business a break to come in. I am too, but that's the way of the world and if Dallas is to grow in other areas besides undocumented laborers, we need someone who will attract the big fish.