daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #241
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I imagine they'll be the same length as the current Bumblebee Trams, which are on extended loan from some city in France (I forget which one - Toulouse maybe?)

Some lines are better at handling longer trams than others, such as the 96 route (the bumblebee route) which partly runs along reconfigured train tracks and therefore uses old strain stations as stops.

Mulhouse. And the lease has been converted to a sale. Melbourne now owns them.

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #242
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

These are my recent (January,2013) pictures from my visit to Melbourne. I especially liked the Restaurant tram running around. When I inquired about it, the tourist center said they are booked for weeks in advance. They offer a lunch 'tour', early dinner and a late dinner. Prices range from $70 to $120 if my memory is correct. I'm sure it is on the internet.

Luke

image hosted on flickr

This is on tram line 57, 59, 19. This is looking to Flinders Street Station.

image hosted on flickr

This is tram 96 at the St Kilda Beach terminus.

image hosted on flickr

This is tram 8 at the Toorak terminus.

image hosted on flickr

This is the Restaurant tram on St Kilda St. Trams 3, 67, 16, 3a, 64, 5, 6, and 72 run on these tracks.

image hosted on flickr

This is tram 96 on a dedicated grade separated track.

image hosted on flickr

This is tram 70 crossing over the Metro train tracks. This is the tram everyone
taking the tram to the Australian Open used.

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by lkstrknb; February 7th, 2013 at 01:08 AM. Reason: added photo locations
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #243
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Good photos. If anyone wants any locations ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Tom View Post
Not sure where you got that from. The Circle Line isn't a circle. It's a spiral. You have to reverse at Hammersmith. But even back when it was a circle trains would usually terminate somewhere.

Incidentally looking at the huge proportion of high-floor trams in Melbourne, does Australia have any kind of equivalent to the Disability Discrimination Act? A law requiring all vehicles to be low floor by a certain date?
1. I wouldn't claim to be an expert on London's Metro ... but I do have a number of books ... and the local library has many more.

It's not a spiral! If you have chosen to run trains in and out, well, maybe it's more like a balloon loop

Reading arcane books on the London Metro, thiss process took place- when deemed neccesary- somewhere near Liverpool Street.

2. In, Australia, These laws are all state-based. This is a difficult question to answer- I'd say at least 90% of trammways, or Light Railways, are in Victoria; since I'm there too, perhaps I can comment.

I'm not sure of the legal ramifications here, but, tram-floors have come done- in the 3000 & 5000 series trams- and platformd have come up: about 200mm of so. I've given you lots of photos of the old "W-Class" trams which you certainly couldn't board - most notably from street level- in a motorized wheel chair. Most other trams have lower floors, designed to more-or-less co-incide with the platform height. So yes, this issue has been adressed, and prerphaps my enthusiam to show heritage trams here has given you the wrong idea.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #244
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

I just added the locations to the photos I used. Look two posts above...

image hosted on flickr

One last picture. This is the free City Circle tram running on hilly La Trobe St intersecting trams 57, 59, and 19 on Elisabeth Street.

Yardmaster liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 06:07 AM   #245
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

The tram at the top of the hill in the background is where the William Street service crosses the City Circle: most of the city tram stops now have raised platforms more like (300m than 200m as I previously suggested, not sure exactly), but I guess it stands to reason that Latrobe St, with it's W-Class trams, will be the last to be modified.
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #246
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I imagine they'll be the same length as the current Bumblebee Trams, which are on extended loan from some city in France (I forget which one - Toulouse maybe?)
Mulhouse actually.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #247
cjb287

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardmaster View Post

I'm not sure of the legal ramifications here, but, tram-floors have come done- in the 3000 & 5000 series trams- and platformd have come up: about 200mm of so. I've given you lots of photos of the old "W-Class" trams which you certainly couldn't board - most notably from street level- in a motorized wheel chair. Most other trams have lower floors, designed to more-or-less co-incide with the platform height. So yes, this issue has been adressed, and prerphaps my enthusiam to show heritage trams here has given you the wrong idea.
The majority of trams in service don't comply with the disability discrimination act. There are about 100 low floor trams in service at the moment out of a fleet size of 487 vehicles. The Z, A and B1/2 class trams meet roughly level with newer platform stops but there are still internal steps which render them non-compliant. There is still quite a way to go. According to Public Transport Victoria 19.7 per cent (350) of the network’s 1775 tram stops are level access while 24% (100 vehicles) are low-floor.

There are 50 Bombardier Flexity Swifts on order (E-class) due to start arriving later this year. The contract has provisions for an additional 100 vehicles should the government choose. They will need to if they are to meet the DDA requirement of full network compliance by 2032 because the current 50 on order will barely make a dent. It seems like ages but I believe the target year has already been extended once before.

Last edited by cjb287; February 12th, 2013 at 06:03 AM.
cjb287 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:09 PM   #248
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Melbourne dug up it's main tram route over Easter.

About 2km south of the city is the "Domain Interchange": which is where one route comes in & one comes off from the main St. Kilda road route.

Also intended as a Metro Station Location, it's out of service for a fortnight: the interchange prior to the current works: the new interchange will have raised platforms, electronic signage, etc.

Old May 8th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #249
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 25

It appears Melbourne's tram fleet is to be painted in a new livery, reflecting th ranting of the new over-arching transport authority, Public Transport Victoria, or PTV.

See attached image via link.

http://www.vicsig.net/photo/16491

Melburnian in Sydney via Bendigo
MelbourneCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:22 PM   #250
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26118

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...-contract.html

Melbourne awards depot development contract
28 May 2014

The E-Class trams are now being commissioned at Preston Workshops; these buildings will form part of the new stabling depot

Reconfiguration of the depot layout will require the laying of 7 km of new track

AUSTRALIA: Melbourne tram operator Yarra Trams announced on May 28 the go-ahead for ‘the biggest tram depot redevelopment’ in the city’s history. Under the A$190m project, part of the historic Preston Workshops will be transformed into a state-of-the-art facility to provide stabling, operational and maintenance facilities for the E-Class trams now being delivered by Bombardier.

Under a deal agreed with Public Transport Victoria, an A$102m design and construction package has been awarded to Coleman Rail, covering reconfiguration of the existing heavy maintenance facilities, which will free up the southern part of the 7ˇ3 ha site, creating a new tram servicing area with sanding facilities, a tram wash and an automatic wheel measuring system. The contract includes laying 7 km of new tracks within the depot, which will have 12 double-ended stabling roads plus a second entrance at the rear of the site.

The redevelopment also includes new driver amenities and operations, administration and training facilities, a new substation and a new project workshop. Construction is expected to begin by the end of this year, with completion scheduled for mid-2016. These training facilities will make use of the E-Class driver training simulator which was put into use at Preston Workshops towards the end of 2013.

Yarra Trams is currently restructuring its maintenance and servicing regime, in a programme which will see much of the routine maintenance and periodic inspections of the 500-strong tram fleet transferred to enhanced facilities at five of its eight depots. This is mainly aimed at reducing the amount of empty running across the network, but will also result in a reduced workload at Preston Workshops.

According to Yarra Trams, ‘the new Preston depot will have the best available facilities to support the ongoing introduction of the E-Class trams and comprehensive tram maintenance programmes that ensure a reliable service for the 180 million passengers who use trams each year’.

PTV is currently taking delivery of 50 E-Class cars, which are the largest trams ever to operate in Melbourne. The first batch is being allocated to Southbank depot for use on Route 96 between St Kilda and East Brunswick, which is Yarra Trams’ flagship route. The deployment of the remaining cars is still being negotiated between the operator and PTV, but the new Preston depot is well placed to serve routes 86 (Bundoora – Docklands) and 11 (West Preston – Victoria Harbour) which are considered likely candidates
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #251
dimlys1994

deleted
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #252
mw123

Likes (Received): 2671

2014 9:28 am by craigsydnz, on Flickr

2014 5:05 pm by craigsydnz, on Flickr

06 APR 14 25ēC MELBOURNE by oh.yes.melbourne, on Flickr

06 APR 14 25ēC MELBOURNE by oh.yes.melbourne, on Flickr

lkstrknb, Klausenburg liked this post
mw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:42 PM   #253
mw123

More great photos by Mr_Kiwi_Fruit.

2014 12:48 pm by craigsydnz, on Flickr

2014 2:32 pm by craigsydnz, on Flickr

2014 8:30 am by craigsydnz, on Flickr

2014 2:32 pm by craigsydnz, on Flickr

2014 2:33 pm by craigsydnz, on Flickr

2014 4:45 pm by craigsydnz, on Flickr

Klausenburg liked this post
Old September 8th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #254
mw123

30 APR 14 17ēC MELBOURNE by oh.yes.melbourne, on Flickr

Melbourne by craigsydnz, on Flickr

WingTips liked this post
Old November 3rd, 2014, 08:51 AM   #255
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Burke Road Level Crossing, Gardiner

by AS 1979, on Flickr

by AS 1979, on Flickr

by AS 1979, on Flickr

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #256
MelbourneCity

The intersection will be grade separated next year.

dimlys1994, Nexis liked this post
Old November 8th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #257
dimlys1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbourneCity View Post
The intersection will be grade separated next year.
Like this - to mention, this is render of new Gardiner station, just near of level crossing:

Old November 8th, 2014, 02:01 PM   #258
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

how does this crossing work? do tram/light rail and the commuter train have the same voltage in the overhead wire?
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 05:01 AM   #259
SurfRail
Yemeni Ambassador

Likes (Received): 1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by [atomic] View Post

how does this crossing work? do tram/light rail and the commuter train have the same voltage in the overhead wire?
The OHLE is at 1500v DC for trains and 600v DC for trams.

There are 4 at grade tram/train crossings in Melbourne ('tram squares'). Each has a manned switching cabin. The bloke's job is to manually switch the tracks in and out depending on what's passing through.

Victor P. Taffa

[atomic] liked this post
SurfRail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #260
MelbourneCity

My guess is the Glenferrie Road tram crossing will be the next to go, then Glen Huntly.

I doubt Riversdale Road crossing will ever go, but it would almost certainly be a low priority.

Tags
melbourne, tram