daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #21
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

And a few of my own:

City Circle tram. Free, intended for tourists but full of locals who just want a tram to the nearest station.

Bourke St.

Elizabeth St tram terminus. Not much priority for road users in the CBD.

Swanston St

Flinders St

Friday nights can get very busy...

Last edited by invincible; June 20th, 2007 at 02:04 PM.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:20 AM   #22
gappa
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 123

Great shots invincible.

I think I like the new siemens trams the most out of the new rolling stock. I don't think trams need to look sleek or speedy but solid and dependable. The blunt nose on the combinos does this, as well as carry over a design feature of Melbourne's iconic W-class trams.
gappa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 02:53 AM   #23
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 7

Some of my pic from last year. It was my first visit to Melbourne and the scene of trams sharing the road with cars was mind boggling to me

Being from Adelaide...paying for the tickets was a great pain..haha.

forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:25 PM   #24
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

This is my favourite model of the various Melbourne trams. I remember when almost all the trams were like this and all green. It had a great coherency especially in the city where many trams would congregate.

Old June 23rd, 2007, 10:35 PM   #25
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Toronto will be moving up that list dramatically by 2020 when Greater Toronto will be adding over 160km of new LRT track To its system.
LA and Dallas are also growing their LRT systems at a dizziying rate.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #26
gappa
Registered Abuser

Thanks for the photos forrestcat. Let's hope Adelaide continues to expand it's tram network!
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #27
Yardmaster
Registered Melbourne

Likes (Received): 198

Good to see Toronto in there, but at the moment Melbourne's "streetcar" system is way more extensive than Toronto's .. I printed the Toronto map out a few nights ago.
Yardmaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #28
gappa
Registered Abuser

More photos.

This photo demonstrates well how the wiring works for on street sections of route (as well as how friendly Melburnians are). Usually strung from poles and sometimes buildings on the side of the street:
image hosted on flickr

At grade sections will generally have poles in between the two tracks with the wires suspended from them, like here:
image hosted on flickr

A C-class emerging from a skyscraper canyon. Behind it you can see one of the new super stops:
image hosted on flickr

Don't you just love W-classes? I know I do! Here's a rare sight - three in close proximity:
image hosted on flickr

Old June 27th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #29
Justme
Gotta lite?

yeap. Love that W-class.
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #30
Blijdorp

Likes (Received): 0

Looks like a good system, i'm jaleous my city doesn't have such a good system. My city only abbandons city lines to replace them with slow suburban lines instead of expanding the metro.
Blijdorp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #31
gappa
Registered Abuser

Here's a more in depth look at the new super stops:

Melbourne's blessed with wide well planned inner city streets, six lanes wide. For the majority this is divided into three lanes in either direction with these further divide into one for trams one for through traffic and one for curb parking/turning. In the photos below you can see how the super stop takes over the through traffic lane which is moved to where the turning/parking lane would usually be. The parking/turning lane finishes just before the super stop. Pedestrians can cross with the lights and wait for the tram with no risk of being hit by vehicles while lighting/alighting from the tram.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old June 28th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #32
Justme
Gotta lite?

^ Interesting, as they look like normal stops over here. I can't remember the current system for Melbourne, how is it again?
Old June 28th, 2007, 08:06 AM   #33
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10970

Looking good Melbourne. I really love your trams stops. We don't have anything as elaborate or attractive. The railings, the pavement material, the curb are all very good. Why so many styles of tram though? Different municipalities running them, or private companies?

It's good to compare and notice areas where other cities do a better job. Keep the pics coming.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #34
gappa
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Why so many styles of tram though? Different municipalities running them, or private companies?
No, yes, no. Melbourne's tram system is run by Yarra Trams under contract to the state government. In the good old days it was run by the government public transport agency, The Met. But in the nineties the previous conservative government privatised the system and sold the operating rights to two different companies, M-Tram and Yarra Trams. M-Tram opted out in 2004 and Yarra Trams took over their part of the network.

One of the obligations for the two companies was to introduce new rolling stock to replace the old W-class trams. Yarra introduced the Citadis and M-Tram the Combino. Therefore Melbourne got two different models. The Met had previously bought many different models in the seventies/eighties to augment the W-class fleet. I'm not sure why exactly, but their designs are fairly similar so I'm guessing they're from the same manafacturer.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #35
isaidso
the new republic

That clears that up. Thanks. A uniform colour code would help Melbourne in this age of cities trying to brand themselves to help them compete globally. There is talk about a common taxi look and 'branding transit' in Toronto to accomplish this. New York City and London already have very recognizable looks to their taxis and transit. What about Melbourne? I've never been to Melbourne, but that green tram would work really well in standing out of the crowd.

These things may seem unconnected, but have proven to be useful tools in not only attracting tourists, but business to a city.
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM   #36
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

Small trams for such a large city. Nice pics though

Last edited by Jayayess1190; June 28th, 2007 at 10:28 PM.
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #37
Justme
Gotta lite?

Quote:
That clears that up. Thanks. A uniform colour code would help Melbourne in this age of cities trying to brand themselves to help them compete globally. There is talk about a common taxi look and 'branding transit' in Toronto to accomplish this. New York City and London already have very recognizable looks to their taxis and transit. What about Melbourne? I've never been to Melbourne, but that green tram would work really well in standing out of the crowd.

These things may seem unconnected, but have proven to be useful tools in not only attracting tourists, but business to a city.
From memory, the trams used to be all green. But that was in the days before they destroyed their look with full cover advertising. I really hate it when that happens to public transport. There are a few trams here in Frankfurt like that. But thankfully only a small handful.
Old June 29th, 2007, 02:29 AM   #38
gappa
Registered Abuser

Quote:

Yes, all of Melbourne's trams used to be in the delightful green and yellow colour scheme (along with buses and trains) as this was the MET colours. Believe me when I say there is aconcerted push by certain members of the community to return them to the old colour scheme. I love Torontos red rockets!

Funnily enough the same government that sold off the trams, and therefore ensured the loss of their distinctive colouration, brought in legislation that all Melbourne's taxis' must be a certain colour. That colour - green and yellow!
Old June 29th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #39
isaidso
the new republic

Very amusing. I hope you get your green and yellow trams back. The link below depicts 3 trams in front of Metropolis in Toronto. What do you think of these old vintage streetcar colours? The last tram in red is an example of what is used now. Seems your green and yellow is our burgundy and yellow.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z...streetcarA.jpg

Last edited by isaidso; June 29th, 2007 at 07:45 AM.
Old June 29th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #40
gappa
Registered Abuser

Very nice 'streetcars'!

As I've said, I've been to Toronto and loved the trams. It's about time for an upgrade though, to a newer style lower floored design. I know that Torontonians are very proud of their distinctive trams, so I guess there could be some opposition to this. Better get a Bombadier design.

I wish Melbourne had less variation in design and colouration like Toronto. I also wish that we still made/designed our own Trams here. I guess I should be happy that we've still got a system at all; just look what happened to pretty much every other English speaking city in the world!

Tags
melbourne, tram