daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 92 votes, 4.91 average.
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #41
Awayo
Support the Squirrels

Likes (Received): 701

Hello Johnny. Where are you in Fitzrovia? That was one of perhaps two (or maybe three) districts in central London that I liked when I worked there. A close and largely intact Georgian grid that's more homely than the more broadly-grained, more regular, and also busier Bloomsbury, not to mind the posho, stucco-clad districts further west. And for that matter, the seedy Georgian districts around Kings X and Victoria either.

Because Fitzrovia, whilst being lovely and very central, is in a way a kind of backwater, the pubs and small restaurants seem to be better than most central London places. Tourists don't get there, not does the rest of the Leicester Sq West End weekend crowd.

I've discovered since I left London that rented accommodation there and in other central districts is often cheaper than some of the places I did lay my head when I lived in London like Clapham and Greenwich. Places that I wasn't that arsed about but necessitated nasty Tube or other public transport journeys each day (and commuting is the worst part of London, imo) to my job in Covent Garden.

Where you lived earlier one in the Pal with Marylebone/Edgware Rd area is better though I think. The one single place in London I've ever really felt at all at home.
Awayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 7th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #42
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 95

^I'm back up north now, was only in Fitzy for half a week. Stayed just off Goodge Street tho. you're right, it's a very nice, well planned area. The streets are small and leafy and sedate and the cars travel through at a snail's pace, or, down the more narrow lanes, not at all. it had been a couple of years since i was in the immediate area and i noticed that it is a lot busier than it used to be, there's new restaurants and bars where beforehand there was nothing. I think the pubs in Marylebone are better though, Fitzrovia fills up with too many suits and media nerds for pubs to develop a real neighbourhood or local's vibe, while Marylebone is more residential and still has an extant working class population, particularly going up to Lisson Grove.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #43
Joe 2007
Joe_1978

Likes (Received): 0

I really like the look of those water garden apartments!, great to see the use of the colour yellow instead of grey or other darker colours.
Joe 2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #44
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 14294

Arrow Lewisham Gateway

These projects deserve their own threads, but here are several SE. London masterplans.

I'll start with Lewisham Gateway. Lewisham's already a very important transport hub, but the area needs regeneration.

Official Site: http://www.lewishamgateway.co.uk/

Lewisham 2006

image hosted on flickr

Lewisham Gateway Masterplan Map

Model

Massing

Diagram

Drawings

-

Last edited by SE9; July 8th, 2007 at 07:46 AM.
SE9 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #45
SE9
South East Nine

Arrow Tamesis Point

Tamesis Point Thamesmead

The project is a masterplan for Thamesmead's riverside, which is under Greenwich control. The project was previously called 'Tripcock Point', but was renamed for no reason

Here are the key dates for this project so far:

• The Greenwich Unitary Development Plan (UDP) was adopted in 1994 and allocates the site for residential and other supporting uses.

• The First Deposit Draft of the new UDP published in February 2002 carries forward that designation.

• Draft Tripcock Point Development Framework was the subject of a public exhibition in May 2003.

• Supplementary Planning Guidance was approved in September 2003
• In October 2003, the outline planning application was submitted to the London Borough of Greenwich.

• The Greater London Assembly approved the Development Framework in September 2005.

• In May 2006, Greenwich Council granted outline planning consent.

"Tamesis Point will be built in phases over a ten-year period and as each phase is completed, communities will begin to establish.
It is anticipated that construction on-site will begin in autumn 2006, with the first homes available during early 2007."

According to the BBC, work starts this year: http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._feature.shtml

The Development

Official Site (currently under construction): www.tamesispoint.co.uk

Tamesis Point Development framework (14.1Mb): http://www.tilfenland.co.uk/pdf/TamesisPoint.pdf

- The houses are designed in the 'Georgian Style'

Random Quotes from the Development Framework (much more of the same in the pdf above)

Local Transport:

Overview:

An example of the urban-planning:

-
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:57 AM   #46
SE9
South East Nine

Arrow Kidbrooke Masterplan

Kidbrooke Masterplan (only 2 miles from Lewisham Masterplan)

* Demolish Ferrier Estate

* Build new housing and shopping/business centre, as well as new road layouts, river layouts & parkland:

Greenwich Council gave the go-ahead in December 2005.

Developer: Berkeley Homes and Southern Housing

Cost: £750million.

Creation of:

4,398 new homes.

2,000 new jobs

Kidbrooke 2007

- Ferrier Estate (home to many thousands)

- Kidbrooke Station

- Meagre Sutcliffe Park

- No shopping or business centre

image hosted on flickr

Kidbrooke Upon Completion

Already Completed: The park to the bottom-right of the maps has already been completed (with pond, landscaping etc.)

The Ferrier Estate is currently being vacated (ever so slowly)

* New Housing

* Efficient Traffic System

* Shops & Business centre

* Transport hub:

(I think the buildings are about 10 storeys max)

-
Old July 8th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #47
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Thank you very much for posting these projects. I was not aware the Ferrier estate was subject to a complete redevelopment.
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #48
GreenwichSE10
BANNED

Great stuff SE9
GreenwichSE10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #49
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post

was opposite this on friday (magdalen restaurant). why are they knocking down one of the town houses on that block? seems unneccessary. otherwise i like it, pity about the monster behind it tho.
Pictures of this site today.

Looks like a great little scheme. I can't actually recollect what was between the buildings before, agree that it is a pity if it was a matching townhouse.

What did you think of Magdalen? I've heard good things about it but haven't actually got myself down there yet.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #50
dronkula

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
These projects deserve their own threads, but here are several SE. London masterplans.

I'll start with Lewisham Gateway. Lewisham's already a very important transport hub, but the area needs regeneration.

Official Site: http://www.lewishamgateway.co.uk/
As the official site is pretty useless with no dates, Lewisham council is saying that work for this is meant to start March 2008 to be completed late 2010.

Just around the corner from here is The Silkworks (http://www.silkworkslondon.co.uk) - it's just a load of new apartments being built next to Tesco but it's indicative of the general regeneration of Lewisham. It's from the same people as OneSE8 down by Deptford Bridge.

Oh, and of course there's also the Seager Distillery tower at Deptford Bridge - although I think that's got it's own thread somewhere already.
dronkula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #51
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Thank you very much for posting these projects. I was not aware the Ferrier estate was subject to a complete redevelopment.
Once I saw the plans I tried to google for more details but nothing else was forthcoming. I did see plenty of contoversy of the councils 'fair' offer for the poor mugs who had bought flats in the estate. They are only offering people £65,000 for a three bedroom flat. How are they expected to buy somewhere else. There are now 28 refusiniks living amongst the increasingly derelict estate, with what looks like a deliberate war of attrition waged by the council with mysteriously failing water and electricity supplies.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #52
Tiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
According to this http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2766 there's a new apart-hotel on the way for Bermondsey St - this site:
The SE1 forum thread on this suggests the developer is http://www.sunlightresidential.com/.

Top work on this thread by the way chaps!! Very helpful indeed.

I think this project is Titan House, which is designed by Glenn Howells Architects. Looks quite cool.
Tiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #53
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiler View Post
I think this project is Titan House, which is designed by Glenn Howells Architects. Looks quite cool.
It is indeed, do you have any pictures as my interweb trawl hasn't uncovered anything?

It sounds quite promising from the planning document description now that the Bermondsey Street facade has been reduced to 5 storeys. I love the Luna Buildings designed by Glenn Howells on Bermondsey Wall so am cautiously optimistic.

The cream coloured generator building in the background is being demolished at the moment and the foundations are already done so I would imagine construction will be starting very imminently.
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #54
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Yep, for the best I guess.
I was round there a few days ago. The flats with the concrete slabs across the windows have been vacated. Some blocks are completely empty:

Full 3D model of the estate:

-
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #55
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Thanks, always thought it looks dreadfull from the A2.

----------

Further documents released from Lewisham Council on the redevelopment of the town centre (more detailed designs are revealed)
http://www4.lewisham.gov.uk/acolnet/...CS/22403_8.pdf

It looks great IMO.

Lewisham council is still in negociation with News International and the GLA to sort out Convoys Wharf (the safeguarding of the wharves from what I've gathered)

Last edited by Manuel; July 15th, 2007 at 02:06 PM.
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #56
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 263

My, my! - haven't stopped by for a while, and this little thread has certainly grown up since the days when it was "Bermondsey and Rotherhithe". Thanks everyone for contributions.

Wonder if anyone else has been watching 'the Tower' - BBC series on regeneration in Deptford, particularly around the Aragon Tower, the Pepys estate and the John Evelyn pub on Evelyn St. Interesting on the social effects of regeneration, both good and bad.

Keep 'em coming...
Old July 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM   #57
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1862

Driscoll House.Southwark.Planning Approved.

The Grade II listed Driscoll House is located on New Kent Road, close to Elephant & Castle. The scheme aims to convert the building into 61 distinctive residential apartments by adding a roof top penthouse and by enclosing the existing U shaped courtyard with a glass roof. This creates an atrium which solves the access problems of the existing building.
Floating between the two brickwork wings of Driscoll House is a brass clad box, housing 10 unique open plan apartments. To the front of the box, vertical glass fins are positioned to control views into and out from the apartments. Coloured glass fins connect the individual balcony spaces and form each balcony enclosure.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:31 PM   #58
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1862

Woolwich New Civic HQ.

Old July 25th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #59
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
i think this pic from local live shows the buildings to be demolished

Good news! The Antiques Market development has been refused planning permission. 'The demolition of 241-245 Long Lane is considered to be unacceptable as the existing buildings are considered to make a positive contribution to the character and appearance of the Bermondsey Street Conservation Area.' So happily it appears that these babies are going nowhere. Fingers crossed for a more architecturally sensitive proposal in the very near future.
Old July 25th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #60
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 95

good news.

as for magdalen restaurant, well worth a visit. simon schama was in for lunch at the same time i was there.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, greenwich, london, rotherhithe

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: