daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 111 votes, 4.93 average.
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #121
Tiler

Likes (Received): 0

That's very interesting...I think this scheme is going to be amazing once it's all up and running. I've seen some of the plans for the wider project in detail and the quality of the development is without doubt very good.

I'm glad that TFL have decided to support this scheme and location rather than one fof the ill-fated towers in town. Hopefully this will mean that local people are going to be employed in their own locale and this should really spur a sustainable community.
Tiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 28th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #122
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Likes (Received): 292

Ah. While I wish the Greenwich Peninsula projects well of course, for those of us in the Shardwardly part of South East London, that may be a very bad sign.

Last edited by Officer Dibble; November 28th, 2007 at 09:09 PM.
Officer Dibble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #123
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

The GP is the greatest suprise of the year 2007. I had no real faith in what was proposed, but looking at this office building and the new college next door, I think we can possibly have a great mixed use centre in this part of town.
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #124
SELondoner

Likes (Received): 15

I think it's very good news. How many staff does that equate to?
SELondoner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 01:41 AM   #125
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Some Bermondsey news

London developer Union spends £11.5m on the 80,000 sq ft Larnaca Works site in Bermondsey Spa, with planning permission for 90 residential units and 13,000 sq ft of commercial development. Completion expected in early 2009.
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #126
Tiler

I'm intrigued to see how the Atrium project looks when it's finished. It will surely be the most striking bit of new housing in that area. Maybe this is the start of a renaissance for this part of New Cross. God knows it needs a face-lift!
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM   #127
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Old November 30th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #128
Tiler

A tad disappointing me feels...but I guess anything too risque is going to be a bit out of place.

Still, lots more SE projects in the pipeline, including all of the Greenwich and Gateway stuff.
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:05 PM   #129
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

We were expecting a planning decision from Southwark on Chambers Wharf in November, but I believe there's been no decision yet. While we wait, here's a great photo from Flickr by Cartoonist.
image hosted on flickr

And stumbled across this BD article from back in January, arguing that, driven by exciting new architecture, Southwark can be the 'new cultural heart' of London - still a good read and a useful list of projects.
http://www.bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?...rigin=bdwknews

Last edited by Officer Dibble; December 2nd, 2007 at 02:16 PM.
Old December 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #130
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

News of a possible new stadium within Southwark Park - link has full story, incl. readers' comments - all positive so far.

See also story at http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk...name_page.html

Summary:

Fisher Athletic club eye up £35million stadium plan

FOOTBALL bosses are asking for your thoughts on their dreams of building a huge £35million stadium in a local park.

Fisher Athletic FC want to build a new stadium in Southwark Park, Lower Road, replacing the current artificial grass football pitch, and they claim it could all be ready by 2010.

To pull off their ambitious scheme, the club wants Southwark council to sell them Seven Islands Leisure Centre in Rotherhithe, which they would redevelop for housing.

In return, they would incorporate a new leisure centre into their stadium.

[...]

They have come up with three options for the stadium. The first is a £3million "revamp" of the current pitch. It would include a small stadium with 1,000 seats.

The second idea is an £11million, 4,000-seater stadium.

The final "all-singing all-dancing" option - preferred by the club - would be a £35million three-storey stadium seating 10,000 people. It would have a gym, swimming pool, conference centre and underground park. Two storeys would be underground to protect the park's landscape and everything above ground would be grass-roofed.

[...]

And there's more at the club's website: http://www.fisherathletic.co.uk/news_detail.php?ID=146

I love the quote from the boss, Barry Albin-Dyer:
"I live, work and grew up here and I would not want anything that would ruin the park. I am not a faceless person from somewhere like Weybridge and I want to hear from everyone who has an opinion [...] I also want the best for Fisher and this would give the local community a real chance of a stadium that everyone could use. We are not talking gold memberships. [...] As part of all of this I'd like to seeSouthwark Park lido back here or somewhere else in the area, as well as the cricket pavilion. But like the running track I want to be able to get onto it and not have to be fenced off - it needs to be open to the public [...]"

Blimey!

Last edited by Officer Dibble; December 4th, 2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM   #131
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Southwark, Lewisham and Greenwich councils all part of the new London Major Projects Group:

http://www.24dash.com/socialhousing/29842.htm

By my count, 5 of the 18 projects involved are in SE London: Elephant & Castle, Canada Water, Lewisham Gateway, Woolwich Arsenal, Kidbrooke Development Area.
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #132
zfreeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Dibble View Post
News of a possible new stadium within Southwark Park - link has full story, incl. readers' comments - all positive so far.

See also story at http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk...name_page.html

Summary:

Fisher Athletic club eye up £35million stadium plan

FOOTBALL bosses are asking for your thoughts on their dreams of building a huge £35million stadium in a local park.

Fisher Athletic FC want to build a new stadium in Southwark Park, Lower Road, replacing the current artificial grass football pitch, and they claim it could all be ready by 2010.

To pull off their ambitious scheme, the club wants Southwark council to sell them Seven Islands Leisure Centre in Rotherhithe, which they would redevelop for housing.

In return, they would incorporate a new leisure centre into their stadium.

[...]

They have come up with three options for the stadium. The first is a £3million "revamp" of the current pitch. It would include a small stadium with 1,000 seats.

The second idea is an £11million, 4,000-seater stadium.

The final "all-singing all-dancing" option - preferred by the club - would be a £35million three-storey stadium seating 10,000 people. It would have a gym, swimming pool, conference centre and underground park. Two storeys would be underground to protect the park's landscape and everything above ground would be grass-roofed.

[...]

And there's more at the club's website: http://www.fisherathletic.co.uk/news_detail.php?ID=146

I love the quote from the boss, Barry Albin-Dyer:
"I live, work and grew up here and I would not want anything that would ruin the park. I am not a faceless person from somewhere like Weybridge and I want to hear from everyone who has an opinion [...] I also want the best for Fisher and this would give the local community a real chance of a stadium that everyone could use. We are not talking gold memberships. [...] As part of all of this I'd like to seeSouthwark Park lido back here or somewhere else in the area, as well as the cricket pavilion. But like the running track I want to be able to get onto it and not have to be fenced off - it needs to be open to the public [...]"

Blimey!
I like the 'all singing- all dancing' option.

Seven Islands Leisure Centre is a bit of a blot on the landscape in another wise up and coming area architecturally speaking. Though would a team in a non professionally league really need 10 000 seats?
Look at Leyton Orient they only have 10 000 and are in the Second Division

Love the idea of recreating a Lido.
zfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #133
Tiler

Yeah, you have to wonder if the facilities aren't too big for Fischer. Fair play to them for being so ambitious though.

Certainly loads coming up in the area. The Thames Gateway stuff is going to make the wider SE area a massive building site over the next few years.
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #134
zfreeman

Although given my last comment. Have heard that Leyton Orient are being considered for the Olympic Stadium when it's reconfigured as a 25 000 seat stadium (with their Brisbane Road Ground - which is own by LBWF - being sold off for a housing- if it goes ahead) with track along with a couple of rugby clubs......maybe it's not being too ambitious.
zfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #135
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 3238

we covered the atrium a couple of months ago -
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=1157
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM   #136
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Update from the Chambers Wharf PR people about planning permission timings:

"Due to the local government by-election in the ward, all processing of the application was halted for a month or so. Therefore the application will not be heard by the Council's planning committee until 22 January at the earliest. Although this is later than we had hoped we would still be on the timetable we have proposed to Southwark Council."

And we're all invited...

"At a planning committee it will be important to have some supporters in the room, meetings start at 7pm, so if you were interested in more details, email me back and I will let you know where, when and transport options. It could be a fascinating meeting!"

Contact is David Canzini at chamberswharf@yahoo.co.uk if anyone does want more details.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM   #137
gothicform
Bossman

Quote:
"At a planning committee it will be important to have some supporters in the room, meetings start at 7pm, so if you were interested in more details, email me back and I will let you know where, when and transport options. It could be a fascinating meeting!"
thats nice. the same developer who wont release details of the scheme now wants people to support it! o.....k
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM   #138
Officer Dibble
cartoon policeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
thats nice. the same developer who wont release details of the scheme now wants people to support it! o.....k
that's a little harsh isn't it? there's a website, a newsletter, there was a public exhibition, there's a planning application...
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM   #139
gothicform
Bossman

there's a website with poxy little poor quality images that you cant make anything out in and a planning application not viewable online. the information provided by the developer is very thin and they actually emailed me to tell me they arent giving it out to the press!
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:35 PM   #140
Tiler

You can't blame them though Gothic? I suspect that they don't have finalised designs for the scheme so perhaps they're just being a bit cagey until Simpson's have finished the designs?

There's also been approval given for the New Kent Road scheme/ Aylesbury Estate recently (from London Construction Now newsletter):

SOUTHWARK REGENERATION PROJECTS TAKE STEP FORWARD

Plans for New Kent Road
Two multi-million pound regeneration projects in Southwark have taken major steps forward, with applications for both the Elephant and Castle, and the Aylesbury schemes approved by Southwark Council.

Southwark's planning committee gave the nod to both a cinema, shopping and market place on New Kent Road, and new homes and a resource centre on the Aylesbury site.

The Elephant approval means a high quality market square, restaurant, shops and a cinema can be built in the heart of the area, along with more than 300 residential units. It had been adapted from an earlier plan, and the new design provides greater ground floor space for businesses. The buildings will also link in with work underway to ensure all development in the entire area is connected to sustainable energy supplies.

Similarly, the redevelopment of Aylesbury received a major boost with ! the first site receiving full planning permission. A scheme of 52 new homes for Aylesbury residents, along with a state-of-the-art resource centre, was given the go-ahead. Current residents have been involved in the designs to ensure they get spacious homes.

It is part of the overall first phase of development for the Aylesbury regeneration that has already received outline planning approval. It has been designed by Levitt Bernstein Associates and will see a total of 260 new homes built in the southwest corner of the Aylesbury Estate. The overall scheme is expected to be completed in 2013. A housing association will be selected to build and manage all the housing for the phase 1a site early next year.

Cllr Richard Thomas, executive member for regeneration, said: "We are focused on improving Southwark for local people, and this is another significant step forward. The fantastic plans for the heart of the Elephant are good news as it supports thi! s council's commitment to provide great retail space for local traders .

"The revised plans that went through incorporated more prominent space for businesses, to make sure local shops can benefit from the area's regeneration. Equally importantly, many will be offered at subsidised rents over the first five years to give further support for traders."
www.southwark.gov.uk

Tags
development, greenwich, london, rotherhithe

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: