daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #2161
PCC
PCC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
That's because these marking lay at the beginning or the end of the curve, but when the track is still straight. The "London underground" logos are directly in zone with reduced visibility.
Maybe it helps the driver to anticipate in the dark ?
But it doesn´t really make sense, why does the driver have to be noticed that there is a curve = low visability? He should notise sutch a simple thing, you don´t get a warning if you drive a car or a tram if there is a curve... All subway tracks i Paris are secured by signals aren´t they?

And I still noticed many bridges like Austerlitz and many viaducts on line 2 and 6 that are straight with these strange markings...
PCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #2162
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCC View Post
But it doesn´t really make sense, why does the driver have to be noticed that there is a curve = low visability? He should notise sutch a simple thing, you don´t get a warning if you drive a car or a tram if there is a curve... All subway tracks i Paris are secured by signals aren´t they?

And I still noticed many bridges like Austerlitz and many viaducts on line 2 and 6 that are straight with these strange markings...
There is a huge visibility difference between a train tunnel (even on open sections just before a tunnel) and a road/open tramway where cars and trams run. Generally the latter have street lights or to aid the driver in seeing the bend and in some places road bends that are not easy to see are marked. Not so easy in a train where the track is unlit. Signals have nothing what so ever to do with it.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #2163
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

I would agree. Many of the tunnels are not well lit. This is not just in Paris, but other cities that have subway systems as well.

I see that some newer systems and lines tend to be better lighted than older ones in the tunnels, but idk if this is the case with all systems, lines, extensions built after 1990.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:00 PM   #2164
Hugues75
Hugues. Paris, France

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Why ? Pont Cardinet is one minute away by bus (one stop) from Rome station and 2-3 minute walk away .. so IMHO, no need to add an interchange at Rome.

I don't know if you know the station Place de Clichy, a (very) busy station 400m far to Rome. 70% of the people using this station use it as a connexion between M2 & M13 (only 30% exit). Whith no interchange at Rome, they will NEED to stay on line M13, while a connection at Rome would be very helpful.

And Rome - Pont Cardinet, it's 750 m : people in Paris are older and older, so they won't leave the M14 at Pont Cardinet to keep line M2 at Rome !

So the both stations would be very intersting.
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #2165
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post

I would agree. Many of the tunnels are not well lit. This is not just in Paris, but other cities that have subway systems as well.

I see that some newer systems and lines tend to be better lighted than older ones in the tunnels, but idk if this is the case with all systems, lines, extensions built after 1990.
Boston and few other cities light there tunnels that have no divider between the tracks...

image hosted on flickr

Underground Rail by Mike Cialowicz, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #2166
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Here is the 'final' plan (apparently ) of the future Grand-Paris-Express network:
I just have measured the red line and I discovered it will have +90 kilometers, which would be the longest metro line in the world. Currently the longest one is the Central line in London at 73.3 km (I don't know about Seoul...)
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #2167
Minato ku

Champs Elysées Clemenceau
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #2168
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues75 View Post
I don't know if you know the station Place de Clichy
Yeah, I used to work there during 4 years (between Rome and Place de Clichy actually) !

IMHO if they chose Pt Cardinet over Rome for the interchange it's because of the new Batignolles area... And Rome is a bit too close from Pont Cardinet for creating a second interchange... just a guess about their choice.
parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #2169
Minato ku

But there is no interchange at Pont Cardinet.
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #2170
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

what about the St-Lazare suburban lines ?

(this interchange would be much more easy than it is at St-Lazare, and it will certainly help to reduce the crowd changing at St-Lazare)
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #2171
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

I guess the extensions to the M14 and the southern arc to be built by 2018 (indicated in red) will actually be built, but the later plans will depend on who holds political office in the future. In the end, the result may be more like the Arc Express plan and less like the Grand Metro plan.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #2172
Minato ku

Quote:
what about the St-Lazare suburban lines ?

(this interchange would be much more easy than it is at St-Lazare, and it will certainly help to reduce the crowd changing at St-Lazare)
Only if all the suburban service stop at Pont Cardinet, today only the L groupe III stop here.
Before the project of a metro station at Pont Cardinet, more trains services were planned to stop here but with this new station, it is not anymore usefull.

Pont Cardinet will be built to serve the Batignoles redevelopment area not to create a new interchange between Saint lazare suburban train and the line 14.
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #2173
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Pont Cardinet will be built to serve the Batignoles redevelopment area
Yep, and that also what I wrote !
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:59 PM   #2174
Minato ku

I am not against a station in Pont Cardinet, I am against the fact that there will not be any transfers between the line 2 and 14.
A big stupidity that will cost hundred of million in the future when when we will have to add a station, much more than if it was included in the beginning.

Planning errors are always very costly,
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #2175
PCC
PCC

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
There is a huge visibility difference between a train tunnel (even on open sections just before a tunnel) and a road/open tramway where cars and trams run. Generally the latter have street lights or to aid the driver in seeing the bend and in some places road bends that are not easy to see are marked. Not so easy in a train where the track is unlit. Signals have nothing what so ever to do with it.
Well, yes I know that there is a visibilty difference between a train in a tunnel and road/tramway in surface mode, but trains do have headlights (I have noticed that headlights on Paris subway cars are poor). But there is still one big difference, cars/trams in streets are not allowd to run faster than they can stop if there is another vehicle or pedestrian in their way - a train/subway has a green signal and the track is clear and does not have to stop untill a station or a signal in danger mode. And if a track turnes the traindriver can´t do anything about it - if you are driving a car you can.

Having subway tunnels lighted all time is not so smart in my opinion. It only helps grafity painters to do a better job, just look at the tunnels in Paris...

Hope someone here from RATP can tell me about the mysterious red arrows and lines painted on the walls...
PCC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 12:48 AM   #2176
Minato ku

MP89, if you want to hear the announcements.
Old May 28th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #2177
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

Awesome video find Love it!
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #2178
hoosier

Likes (Received): 63

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...w-metro-lines/

What a great day for the Ile de France region.

This expansion of Paris' metro will vault into perhaps the premiere transit system in the world.
Old May 28th, 2011, 04:30 AM   #2179
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
I am not against a station in Pont Cardinet, I am against the fact that there will not be any transfers between the line 2 and 14.
A big stupidity that will cost hundred of million in the future when when we will have to add a station, much more than if it was included in the beginning.
Well, no need to add a station. As a matter of fact, they simply need to add an underground corridor equipped with moving walkways in order to connect the Ligne 14 at Pont Cardinet with the Ligne 2 at Rome (which would be much less expensive than adding a station).

The distance between Rome & Pont Cardinet is about 700 m (minus the station's length if the rear of the new station is between the two), which is quite comparable with the existing underground connection between La Chapelle & Gare du Nord stations for example (approx. 500 m).
Old May 28th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #2180
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
What a great day for the Ile de France region.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
This expansion of Paris' metro will vault into perhaps the premiere transit system in the world.
That would require a complete systemwide upgrade to driverless trains.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway