daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #2181
Hugues75
Hugues. Paris, France

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Well, no need to add a station. As a matter of fact, they simply need to add an underground corridor equipped with moving walkways in order to connect the Ligne 14 at Pont Cardinet with the Ligne 2 at Rome (which would be much less expensive than adding a station).

The distance between Rome & Pont Cardinet is about 700 m (minus the station's length if the rear of the new station is between the two), which is quite comparable with the existing underground connection between La Chapelle & Gare du Nord stations for example (approx. 500 m).
There is 800m between Pont Cardinet and Rome (I know those places very well, I have a flat just between both ; by the way, Rome or Pont Cardinet, personnaly, I don't care : it's not an selfish point of view ), against 400m between La Chapelle and Gare du Nord (as you know because you lived in Paris [sorry, I didn't realize it before]), RER have long platforms ; in "Paris - Nord", their ends are just under rue Demarquay)

And you really think the STIF will choose to create and pay a new tunnel for a moving walkways between Rome & Pont Cardinet after a decision not to create a station beacause of its expense ???

I agree with Minato, I said it before : both stations are really usefull. I hope at least a preservation for a simpler add later...

I hope so, but I'm sure this won't. After all, the STIF decided to create "rubber-tram" incompatible with pre-existing trams.

Last edited by Hugues75; May 28th, 2011 at 09:41 AM.
Hugues75 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #2182
Tylow

Likes (Received): 26

Hugues75 is right. The transfer rate at Place de Clichy between line 2 and 13 is very important (I would say at least 40% of the people transfer at that point). If the purpose of the extension of line 14 is to unload some of line 13 overcharge, then the interchange at Rome is more than relevant.
Tylow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #2183
Minato ku

Much more than 40%, the interchange is largely over 60% of the people who use Place de Clichy station.
The crowded train of the line 2 almost become empty after Place de Clichy in the direction of Place Dauphine.
It is one of busiest transfer stations between two lines in Paris metro.

If they want to reduce the overcrowding of the northern line 13, it is necessary to have a transfer between the line 2 and 14.

I was already upset to see the line 14 would serve Rome instead of Place de Clichy.
Place de Clichy is a very busy hub and the line 14 would increase the size and create a new hall to ease the transfer.
If the line 14 don't even have an interchange with the line 2, it is worse.
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #2184
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

Ditto.

I'm thinking, it you don't have an interchange between two busy lines, then why extend the line at all? Big waste of time, planning, and money.

Chateau Rouge

Clignancourt

Porte d' Orleans Is the turn normally this difficult with the MP 59 as well? It looks like a Bastille-style steep turn.

MP 89

Last edited by HARTride 2012; May 28th, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #2185
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

The expansion project for Paris look impressive. I just don't like its dictatorial provisions aiming to "concentrate 95% of job growth" to places reachable on foot from rail stations. Employers should be free to open business wherever they see fit.
Old May 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #2186
HARTride 2012

Agreed. A business should not be forced to open up next to a subway station. This should be an option, a choice, not a mandate.
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #2187
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The expansion project for Paris look impressive. I just don't like its dictatorial provisions aiming to "concentrate 95% of job growth" to places reachable on foot from rail stations. Employers should be free to open business wherever they see fit.
It's called planning. They did not mean 95% of jobs to reachable by train from just these new stations, but by all stations. Considering the considerable number of existing stations Paris has and these new stations, I doubt that there is a significant business cluster that won't be served by Rail.

If you have that sort of coverage there should be no hardship if no office sprawl is allowed to clutter Autoroute junctions.
Rational Plan está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #2188
kub86
Twinkie

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Well I doubt employers are being 'forced' to locate near a train station. If you're a company in a region where a majority commute by train...you'd probably want to be located near a train station. This new rail system will make a lot more suburban areas reachable by train.
kub86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #2189
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by kub86 View Post
Well I doubt employers are being 'forced' to locate near a train station. If you're a company in a region where a majority commute by train...you'd probably want to be located near a train station. This new rail system will make a lot more suburban areas reachable by train.
In that case I see no problem at all. However, I'm afraid they will expand the area of Paris subject to the heft payroll taxes to fund transit.

For tho who don't know: Workers in areas heavily dotted with Metro/RER stations in Paris are hit with a transit payroll tax that goes from 1,4% in the outer areas to 2,6% in the inner areas. It is an unacceptable, outrageous confiscation of salaries done by a transit agency (is not exactly RAPT, it has another name I forgot) to fund high-capacity transit systems in Île-de-France.

An usual tactic for companies employ high-paid staff (e.g., hedge funds) was to located themselves just on suburbs out of reach of this tax but yet close enough to allow a quick P+R downtown if needed. Now, with these massive new subway lines, they might want to charge other people to pay for it just because they work in the are that is served for transit, regardless of whether they actually use transit or drive.
Old May 29th, 2011, 02:30 AM   #2190
Minato ku

Not in Paris, entreprises are very attracted by public transportation.
If there are many companies in far off suburbs, it is because of the lack of supply in the central areas.

The areas with the highest concentration of companies that employ high-paid staff are QCA (west of Central Paris) and La Défense, both are very well served by transit.
Old May 30th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #2191
HARTride 2012

Gotta love the music onboard the Metro

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2192
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

Some of the music on the accordion sounds like "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini".
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 02:35 AM   #2193
HARTride 2012

lol.

I like all the musical sounds that are played within the Paris Metro.
Old May 31st, 2011, 07:33 AM   #2194
don diego 2000

Likes (Received): 167

How many MP89 trains on line 4 so far?
don diego 2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:48 AM   #2195
Hugues75
Hugues. Paris, France

Only one, and there is a (little) problem with the localisation system, so it doesn't run since saturday. It should be solved in 1 or 2 weeks.
Old May 31st, 2011, 12:19 PM   #2196
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by don diego 2000 View Post
How many MP89 trains on line 4 so far?
If you read back a few pages you would see there is only 1, and there will be only 1 for a few months.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 03:11 PM   #2197
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues75 View Post
Only one, and there is a (little) problem with the localisation system, so it doesn't run since saturday. It should be solved in 1 or 2 weeks.
Uh oh. Hopefully it will be fixed though.

And does anyone know of why there is a delay with the MP 05?
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:17 PM   #2198
Hugues75
Hugues. Paris, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
Uh oh. Hopefully it will be fixed though.

And does anyone know of why there is a delay with the MP 05?
RATP secrets... No one knows, except RATP workers (I'm not), who are not allowed to explain the trouble.
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:59 PM   #2199
HARTride 2012

I was afraid that your response would be the answer
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:40 PM   #2200
Minato ku

There are already 9 MF01 delivered for the line 5, 10 if we include the MF01 in test at Porte de Charenton on the line 8.
I really wonder what they wait to put the first train on commercial service. Of course some tests are necessary but the first MF01 of the line 5 was delivered over one year ago.

Porte de Pantin

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway