daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #3681
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,756

Stations on Grand Boulevards are almost the extreme case.
There is only 80m between the easternmost entrance of Grand Boulevards station and the westernmost entrance of Bonne Nouvelle station !!!
100m between the easternmost entrance of Bonne Nouvelle station and the westernmost entrance of Strasbourg Saint-Denis !!!
Obviously this is only the distance between entrances, the distances between platforms of those stations are bigger.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #3682
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,249
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
On a wider note, I do think there is overall better coverage in central Paris than in central London as it isn't just greater station distance in London but a less dense network over all. It would be nice if such an edict had existed there...
True, but in the zone 1-2 area of London there are significantly more bus routes, with far greater frequency that Central Paris that more than made up for the lower station density in London. I gather the commuters from further out appreciate having less stops in the centre, where clearly in Paris those commuters are on the RER.

Having lived in London for 4 years (living in Bayswater/Notting Hill area) I always preferred the bus to go short distances, for example Notting Hill to the Oxford Street shopping strip or to go to places where I could get to on a single bus, but needed 2 tubes, Notting Hill to West Hampstead being a regular haunt. The only time I tubed it was to get to/from work and to go longer distances or places where I didn't know the bus system well.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #3683
gambarini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rome
Posts: 462
Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Stations on Grand Boulevards are almost the extreme case.
There is only 80m between the easternmost entrance of Grand Boulevards station and the westernmost entrance of Bonne Nouvelle station !!!
100m between the easternmost entrance of Bonne Nouvelle station and the westernmost entrance of Strasbourg Saint-Denis !!!
Obviously this is only the distance between entrances, the distances between platforms of those stations are bigger.
The station Grand Boulevards itself isn't a good meeting point... the entrances are so far each other
__________________
MF 67 for ever
Rome
gambarini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #3684
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,756

Between the entrance There is 230m between the westernmost entrance and the northernmost entrance of Grands Boulevards station.
The distance is longer for Bonne Nouvelle.
There is 270m between the westernmost entrance and the northernmost entrance of Bonne Nouvelle.

Anyway it gives you weird impression when there are only 80m between the entrances of two stations serving the same lines (lines 8 and 9).
Not only the distance is short but it is on the same block.

PS: I forgotten the "s" at "Grands" and the "e" at "Boulevards" for "Grands Boulevards".
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:57 AM   #3685
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 17,134
Likes (Received): 9962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
PS: I forgotten the "s" at "Grands" and the "e" at "Boulevards" for "Grands Boulevards".
Indeed!



I mean...thank you very much...dear non-parisian.

parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:37 AM   #3686
CairnsTony
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cairns, Qld.
Posts: 242
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
True, but in the zone 1-2 area of London there are significantly more bus routes, with far greater frequency that Central Paris that more than made up for the lower station density in London. I gather the commuters from further out appreciate having less stops in the centre, where clearly in Paris those commuters are on the RER.

Having lived in London for 4 years (living in Bayswater/Notting Hill area) I always preferred the bus to go short distances, for example Notting Hill to the Oxford Street shopping strip or to go to places where I could get to on a single bus, but needed 2 tubes, Notting Hill to West Hampstead being a regular haunt. The only time I tubed it was to get to/from work and to go longer distances or places where I didn't know the bus system well.
I lived in London for twenty years; grew up there in fact. I guess things have changed quite a bit over the years if you consider the buses a valid alternative as they were very unreliable when I was there. I do see your point though!
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #3687
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,756

In central Paris except for a few lines, bus is mostly used by old people and disabled.
It is funny to see the racial and age shift on the bus lines after the circular 2-6 of metro, even in wealthy districts.
Outside the circular, bus lines are racially diverse and age mixed, inside it is dominated by people over 60 years and it is very white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
I mean...thank you very much...dear non-parisian.
No it means that I suck at spelling.
No long ago, I put a "d" at Saint-Lazare instead of the "e".

I am parisian, the proof is that I know the bus lines in Paris, something that only parisian can know.
Saint Lazare: 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 27, 28, 29, 32, 48, 53, 66, 80, 81, 94, 95
Châtelet: 21, 38, 47, 58, 67, 69, 70, 72, 74, 75, 76, 81, 85, 96
Porte d’Orléans: 28, 38, 68, 125, 126, 128, 187, 188, 194, 197, 295, 297, 299
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !

parcdesprinces liked this post

Last edited by Minato ku; January 26th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #3688
CNGL
Leudimin
 
CNGL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huesca
Posts: 7,462
Likes (Received): 1937

Too bad there is no line 35 due to numbering scheme . But that is a bit off-topic, since there is another thread for tram and bus.
__________________
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #3689
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas
 
parcdesprinces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Auteuil, Paris XVI | Quercy | Monaco, MC
Posts: 17,134
Likes (Received): 9962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
No long ago, I put a "d" at Saint-Lazare instead of the "e".
Blasphemy !!! (how dared you !!)




parcdesprinces no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #3690
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,756

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Too bad there is no line 35 due to numbering scheme . But that is a bit off-topic, since there is another thread for tram and bus.
Actually since December, there is a line 35 between Mairie d'Aubervilliers and Gare de l'Est.
The line 65 was splite in two. (formerly Aubervilliers - Gare de Lyon).
Line 35 Aubervilliers - Gare de l'Est
Line 65 Porte de la Chapelle - Gare de Lyon.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #3691
CNGL
Leudimin
 
CNGL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huesca
Posts: 7,462
Likes (Received): 1937

I'm going to reply on the bus & tram thread.
__________________
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Minato ku liked this post
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #3692
ajw373
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,249
Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairnsTony View Post
I lived in London for twenty years; grew up there in fact. I guess things have changed quite a bit over the years if you consider the buses a valid alternative as they were very unreliable when I was there. I do see your point though!
I believe things have improved the past 10-15 years. Out of interest where did you live? Was it in zone 1 or 2 as that is the area that is roughly the same size as the area of Paris served by the metro, and in London the zone with the highest concentration of bus routes.

I guess the point is the Paris metro is serving a different market than the London tube, hence why so many stations close together and the more twisty tracks and routes.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #3693
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,756


The first MP89 run to Mairie de Montrouge for test on January 25.
No picture because it was after the closure of the service.
The MP89 was the CC35.
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #3694
CairnsTony
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cairns, Qld.
Posts: 242
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
I believe things have improved the past 10-15 years. Out of interest where did you live? Was it in zone 1 or 2 as that is the area that is roughly the same size as the area of Paris served by the metro, and in London the zone with the highest concentration of bus routes.
Clapham. I was heavily dependent on the tube; the BR station at Clapham, quite close to home was in a shocking state in the 70s. Of course it's nice and shiny and new again thanks to LO.

I only really used the buses to get to Brixton (No. 45) or Clapham Junction (45 again I think...); I used to go to school on the tube even though it was only two stops.

Anyway, not really a conversation to be had on the Paris Metro thread. I have a much better understanding of the nature of the two systems now. But it would still be nice to have a denser network in London!
CairnsTony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:19 AM   #3695
Minato ku
Moderator
 
Minato ku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Paris, Montrouge
Posts: 16,756

Pont de Levallois – Bécon
__________________
すみません !
J’aime Paris et je veux des tours !
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 02:48 PM   #3696
HARTride 2012
Registered User
 
HARTride 2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,855
Likes (Received): 1976

Tagged MF 77 trains :/



Front Populaire



-------------------------------

Final MP 89CC trains to :

#46 supposedly has been transferred, but am not sure if its in service. It is not currently listed on the roster on Symbioz.

02/20/13: #47

March, we should see the final 3 trains (#s 02, 26, & 50) being transferred over in conjunction with the opening of Montrouge.

As mentioned earlier, not all 52 MP 89CC will be utilized on until Bagneux opens in 2019/2020. Only about 47 to 48 trains will be used at most for now.

Last edited by HARTride 2012; February 1st, 2013 at 02:54 PM.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM   #3697
Nephasto
Enlightened user
 
Nephasto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Porto
Posts: 5,802
Likes (Received): 71

Are there still any MP59's running on line 4?

Also, is line 1 completely automatized by now?
__________________
Long live rail freight!!
Nephasto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3698
gambarini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rome
Posts: 462
Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
Are there still any MP59's running on line 4?
No
Quote:
Also, is line 1 completely automatized by now?
Yes
__________________
MF 67 for ever
Rome
gambarini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 07:42 PM   #3699
HARTride 2012
Registered User
 
HARTride 2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 13,855
Likes (Received): 1976

The last MP 59s were removed from Line 4 in December (last train was 6021, removed after the end of service on December 21).

Line 1 is fully automated, but 2 MP 89s still run to supplement peak service. According to what I read on Symbioz, this practice will be ending in the next few days and there will be no more MP 89s running on Line 1 at all.

The remaining MP 89s, as I mentioned are gradually being moved over to Line 4 as the Montrouge extension nears completion. Once the new garage is ready, RATP will move the last trains over for storage.
__________________

Minato ku liked this post
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 07:50 PM   #3700
gambarini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Rome
Posts: 462
Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
The last MP 59s were removed from Line 4 in December (last train was 6021, removed after the end of service on December 21).

Line 1 is fully automated, but 2 MP 89s still run to supplement peak service. According to what I read on Symbioz, this practice will be ending in the next few days and there will be no more MP 89s running on Line 1 at all.

The remaining MP 89s, as I mentioned are gradually being moved over to Line 4 as the Montrouge extension nears completion. Once the new garage is ready, RATP will move the last trains over for storage.
do you have photos of the new garage?
__________________
MF 67 for ever
Rome
gambarini no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium