daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #3741
Minato ku

In fact according wikipidia Paris metro undergound lenght is 198.4km.

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #3742
skyscraperus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
In fact according wikipidia Paris metro undergound lenght is 198.4km.
Is that undergound lenght or undergound undergound lenght ?
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #3743
Minato ku

The lenght under the ground.
Old February 25th, 2013, 01:11 AM   #3744
skyscraperus
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2268

270 km under the ground - Madrid Metro
202 km under the ground - New York Subway
198 km under the ground - Paris Metro
181 km under the ground - London Underground
skyscraperus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:26 AM   #3745
Clery

Likes (Received): 3623

It's worth being noted that the Paris RER network also has 76.5 km underground, mostly below Paris city center.
Clery está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #3746
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Does anyone here know what causes the distinctive smell in certain Paris metro stations? It's kind of like an egg-fart smell. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the rubber tires? Or perhaps it's the brakes? Does anyone have an idea?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3747
Sacré Coeur

Likes (Received): 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clery View Post
It's worth being noted that the Paris RER network also has 76.5 km underground, mostly below Paris city center.
+ 1.5 km with the extension of line 4 to Mairie de Montrouge!!!

Clery liked this post
Sacré Coeur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #3748
WC_EEND

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Does anyone here know what causes the distinctive smell in certain Paris metro stations? It's kind of like an egg-fart smell. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with the rubber tires? Or perhaps it's the brakes? Does anyone have an idea?
I have no idea, but I have found that subway systems in most major cities all have a rather distinctive and different smell. For Paris, based on my experience, there is definitely a part urine in there as well though I am not sure what else is in there.
WC_EEND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #3749
dale88

Likes (Received): 9

Well some people do urinate in paris's metro stations on the corridors or platforms (seen by my own eyes...).

Some people also smoke (even though it is forbidden)...

dale88
dale88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #3750
Silly_Walks

It wasn't urine or smoke that I smelled.

It was more of an egg smell... since I haven't smelled it in other subways, I was assuming it had to do with the rubber tires.
Old February 26th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #3751
dale88

Likes (Received): 9

Well, apart from urine, yes on rubber tyred lines, you can smell a kind of heated tyre smell.
dale88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #3752
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
It wasn't urine or smoke that I smelled.

It was more of an egg smell... since I haven't smelled it in other subways, I was assuming it had to do with the rubber tires.
I think I know what you mean. I've noticed it on RER trains most of the times and my guess is that it's sewer.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3753
alonzo-ny
Thermobaric Thagomizer

Likes (Received): 1188

Quote:
French people.
alonzo-ny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #3754
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

I did a lot of traveling on the Metro yesterday, and had a broadly positive experience. Trains are nice, smooth, speedy, stations are well kept and the platform screen doors are neat where they exist. Signage is poor and information could be better, and some of the stations have such a ridiculous number of exits it takes forever to find a way out.

However I was shocked by the number of ticket barriers that simply didn't work. Many refused to accept anybody's tickets, be they singles or Mobilis or whatever, and I saw another passenger have hers get eaten by one. This was across Metro and the RER. At Gare Du Nord the entire line of machines on one exit stopped working. In the UK there'd always be staff on hand to help out at barriers but there was nothing here and people had to just jump over. I was really shocked by that.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #3755
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Tom View Post
Signage is poor and information could be better
I also loved the Paris Metro. It's an excellent way to get around without getting stuck in traffic. But what I really missed were signs on the street, directing you to different metro stations. I first saw this somewhere in China, and it had the station name plus the distance. It was really convenient to guide you to the nearest metro station, without needing to get out a map, trying to locate where you are, etc.

Also, sometimes I couldn't find a metro entrance because it was just an obscure hole in the ground, without any signs (usually those were entrances to parking garages, but often they were actual metro entrances).

My overall opinion of the Paris Metro is very, very positive (although I did think the rubber-tired metros were very uncomfortable with their acceleration, braking and cornering).
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #3756
WC_EEND

Likes (Received): 18

Lille has signs directing you to metro stations as well, so it is indeed odd that Paris doesn't have this.

I found the metro entrances to be quite easy to find though (especially the art-déco ones are quite hard to miss).

And finally, I actually really like the feeling of hard acceleration the rubber-tyred metro trains give you and I actually found them to be more comfortable than the steel-wheeled ones (exception: the MP59 trains, I despise those).
WC_EEND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #3757
MK Tom

Likes (Received): 324

With the signs I actually meant more within the stations, but it's true about surface level signs too. Some of the system maps in the stations were so out of date they only had half of T3a and T2.

Anyway, I thought the barrier thing was a bigger issue.

Please check out my MKT Transport Media website and Youtube channel for my transport photography and videos.
MK Tom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #3758
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
I think I know what you mean. I've noticed it on RER trains most of the times and my guess is that it's sewer.
No, it is groundwater.
Water infiltrations is a major issue for the metro and RER network.
Old February 27th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #3759
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC_EEND View Post
And finally, I actually really like the feeling of hard acceleration the rubber-tyred metro trains give you and I actually found them to be more comfortable than the steel-wheeled ones (exception: the MP59 trains, I despise those).
I like the rubber-tyred trains too.

I only like the MP 59 for two things; the sound it makes as it departs, and the exterior design. Everything else about it, I don't like (ESPECIALLY that they are very, very hot inside.)

My favorite (as I have mentioned in past posts) is the MP 89. Just about everything about it I really like.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 03:53 AM   #3760
jhonatan.evaristo

Likes (Received): 0

J'habite à Sao Paulo au Brésil un an que je suis très masi métro souterrain trop de monde ici et regarde si cette fameuse ligne et bondé Rouge 3[IMG]http://http://t3.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSxGxsPypGn7_02IQ488z0ZsH27cWMb7mtHjX2Epus7e4fcXoW[/IMG] rang 4 [IMG]http://http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGlcUueColtamKISahGZOTnrgBChWjMuWWkmYV7boqNMVOn6-3XA[/IMG] [IMG]http://http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvMQ7etgbS6w9YPaa6Eqm0g8EuuvgHLDaFWEoXlDMJarDn9vmR[/IMG] [IMG]http://http://t0.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-B21IBbcWHAqfbrKgrGLx0o32gkC8wOCVFMbC43xDFnN0ksr6[/IMG] ligne 2 [IMG]http://http://t1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZP3CbuDqzk5QL5pOhG5t9ao32Wh40Et2C4UF3KFmAFXzL8s4W[/IMG] ligne 5 [IMG]http://http://t3.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwN8z7bWuTidDKMTLPWg_jLO9U4UnyiC8ZwNc5W7O4vgpMLjlY[/IMG] carte du métro
jhonatan.evaristo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway