daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #4661
Minato ku

I was surprised when I see that they keep the seats, I heard they change seats with the transfer of rolling stock from line 9 to lines 10 and 12.

Anyway the seat of the MF67 of line 9 are more comfortable than the seat of the lines 10 and 12 MF67

Those are nicer but less comfortable.

The line 10 and 12 have a more and more heterogeneous mix of MF67 with trains coming from the line 2 and now from the line 9.
It is weird to see trains with black front on line 12 instead of the usual look.

geometarkv, dimlys1994 liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2014, 07:57 PM   #4662
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
I was surprised when I see that they keep the seats, I heard they change seats with the transfer of rolling stock from line 9 to lines 10 and 12
Are lines 10 and 12 are busy during peak hours?
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #4663
Minato ku

While the line 10 and 12 are indeed the two least busy main lines of Paris metro, those remain busy in peak hours.
The busiest section on line 10 is between La Motte Picquet Grenelle and Charles Michels.
The busiest section on the line 12 is between Saint-Lazare and Madeleine.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:42 PM   #4664
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

I agree that this configuration of seats is unsuitible for busy line. Of course, you can rebuild them, but it would need some time and money. So let's wait for better
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 03:09 AM   #4665
Minato ku

A former MF67 of line 9 where they changed the seats on line 10.

A former MF67 of the line 9 where they didn't change the seats on line 12

Usual interior of the MF67 of line 10 and 12.

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:03 PM   #4666
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post

Chatelet Les Halles is currently undergoing renovation. Auber is going to get the cleanup it needs. Many Metro stations are slated for cleaning and waterproofing.
Yes, but there is a bigger issue. Most European countries have laws against vagrancy and mendacity. For example, in Frankfurt (Germany) last week I saw the police drag a handcuffed man out of a metro station for the crime of having slept on a bench there.

The French concept of respect for the individual seems to preclude such a - as it is often phrased - "criminalisation de la pauvreté", with the result that the metro is full of tramps and other homeless people. This does, let's admit it, create a bit of a hygienic problem.
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #4667
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

That is true too.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #4668
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10831

^ that's a good observation, but from my experience the worst offenders in terms of smells are the transit corridors, which are not the places where the homeless congregate - they prefer to rest on the sides of the stations.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #4669
Minato ku

MP05 #583.
The 3rd MP 05 on line 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
The RATP is reporting that all traffic on Line 4, from north of Reaumur-Sebastopol has been stopped due to the discovery of a suspicious package at Chateau Rouge. Normal operation is predicted to resume at 4:00pm local time.

Updates on the Twitter page. https://twitter.com/Ligne4_RATP

UPDATE: Services are slowly returning to normal as of 4:00PM local time (10:00AM ET)
Unfortunately, this is almost a daily occurence on Paris metro and RER.
Today during evening rush hours, no traffic on line 1 between Nation and Château de Vincennes to a suspicious package.
Traffic suspended between 7:00pm and 8:30pm.

Screens inside of line 1's trains showing Nation as terminal stop.

gambarini, Greg95100 liked this post
Old May 16th, 2014, 09:57 PM   #4670
Minato ku

Porte des Lilas is being renovated
Corridors have new white titles with blue fringes, new fare gates have been installated...

...but the platforms of line 11 are still in bad shape.

Robi_damian liked this post
Old May 19th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #4671
hans280

Postscriptum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
Yes, but there is a bigger issue. Most European countries have laws against vagrancy and mendacity. For example, in Frankfurt (Germany) last week I saw the police drag a handcuffed man out of a metro station for the crime of having slept on a bench there.

The French concept of respect for the individual seems to preclude such a - as it is often phrased - "criminalisation de la pauvreté", with the result that the metro is full of tramps and other homeless people. This does, let's admit it, create a bit of a hygienic problem.
Funnily, yesterday I had an experience that is closely related to this topic. I was playing tourist guide to the sister of a friend, a stolid German woman who visited Paris for only the second time of her life. We were taking a metro (line 12, somewhere close to Pigalle) when a young West African beggar honoured us with his presence. He was an aggressive man who upon entering the carriage shouted to a Romanian accordion player to keep silent because he (the beggar) had imporant things to say. He then shouted the usual stuff about "living in the street.... not eligible for social assistance.... any money you can spare, or a restaurant ticket..." and so on.

He did not meet with any positive response. Rather than just leaving the carriage he took the centre floor again and began delivering an angry rant against the people who had failed to pay him. My visitor now had enough of it, and with classic German disdain for public misbehaviour she started drowning out the beggar's voice: "bla, bla, bla, bla, BLA, BLA, BLA..." The beggar turned on the spot, eyed her with incredulity and then smacked her accross her face. I of course jumped up and took boxing position before her. He did the same. I could not have won a fist fight against a much younger and fitter man, but I wanted to protect her from further violence. After a couple of seconds he seemed to decide that there were too many witnesses so he scampered.

As soon as he was outside and the door closing, the other "heroes" in the carriage raised their voices to express their disapproval of his behaviour. He retorted by trying to climb the closed door and bellowing curses at the world in general. A French bourgeois lady explained soothingly to my friend that "with such people it has no purpose to remonstrate, madame". My friend looked at her with ice-cold despise and answered in perfect French: "Madame, votre manque de civisme est écoeurant. Mais écoeurant!" (Transl.: Your lack of civic spirit is truly disgusting!")

_Night City Dream_ liked this post

Last edited by hans280; May 19th, 2014 at 08:31 AM.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 11:06 AM   #4672
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9993

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans280 View Post
Funnily, yesterday I had an experience that is closely related to this topic. I was playing tourist guide to the sister of a friend, a stolid German woman who visited Paris for only the second time of her life. We were taking a metro (line 12, somewhere close to Pigalle) when a young West African beggar honoured us with his presence. He was an aggressive man who upon entering the carriage shouted to a Romanian accordion player to keep silent because he (the beggar) had imporant things to say. He then shouted the usual stuff about "living in the street.... not eligible for social assistance.... any money you can spare, or a restaurant ticket..." and so on.

He did not meet with any positive response. Rather than just leaving the carriage he took the centre floor again and began delivering an angry rant against the people who had failed to pay him. My visitor now had enough of it, and with classic German disdain for public misbehaviour she started drowning out the beggar's voice: "bla, bla, bla, bla, BLA, BLA, BLA..." The beggar turned on the spot, eyed her with incredulity and then smacked her accross her face. I of course jumped up and took boxing position before her. He did the same. I could not have won a fist fight against a much younger and fitter man, but I wanted to protect her from further violence. After a couple of seconds he seemed to decide that there were too many witnesses so he scampered.

As soon as he was outside and the door closing, the other "heroes" in the carriage raised their voices to express their disapproval of his behaviour. He retorted by trying to climb the closed door and bellowing curses at the world in general. A French bourgeois lady explained soothingly to my friend that "with such people it has no purpose to remonstrate, madame". My friend looked at her with ice-cold despise and answered in perfect French: "Madame, votre manque de civisme est écoeurant. Mais écoeurant!" (Transl.: Your lack of civic spirit is truly disgusting!")
Wow. In London this would have probably resulted in police, line closure and people jumping over the man. And smacking someone should land you in arrest. Such anti-social behaviour, even if rare, can have multiple levels of negative impact - from general unpleasantness, to conning people who witness it to back far-right movements who actually do not sweep issues of violence under the carpet (and exploit them for politicla gain), to discouraging the use of public transport.

A similar example is people riding the system for free by forcing the ticket gates (usually by going 2 at a time) while I have also seen this once in London and a few times in Spain, it seems to be widespread in France, especially at Defense RER (where I think 1 in 5-6 people used the system like that).
Old May 19th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #4673
hans280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robi_damian View Post
A similar example is people riding the system for free by forcing the ticket gates (usually by going 2 at a time) while I have also seen this once in London and a few times in Spain, it seems to be widespread in France, especially at Defense RER (where I think 1 in 5-6 people used the system like that).
Yes and no. I talked to an employee of SNCF (in a totally different context) about, as I saw it, a widespread cheating in public transport in France. He responded that it is indeed a problem, but not in France as a whole. The cheating is limited to Paris and the coastal strip between Marseille and Nice. In both cases it reflects a combination of numerous immigrants who feel "outside society", the angry indignation of paupers and (in the case of Paris) the anonymity of the big city. Conversely, in places like Bordeaux, Lyon, Lille and Strasbourg there's apparently no more cheating and antisocial behaviour than in other European cities.
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #4674
Stravinsky

Likes (Received): 1147

I guess he wrote France but he was referring to Paris.

Many smaller transit systems are also pristine clean and very modern.
Stravinsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #4675
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10831

Wow, what a story. Really hard to get the hang of the thought process of your friend, though, hans. I find the metro very safe despite the almost complete lack of security (only seen security people in action a couple of times in four years), but it surely wouldn't be the same if I had the habit of getting confrontational with troubled / derranged people from the bottom of the social ladder.

I've witnessed very little problems, once was when a homeless at Raspail attacked a young couple and scared them off. He then saw us at the other end of the ramp and headed towards us; I was ready to teach him a lesson when the train came and girlfriend dragged me in. Then, much to my surprise, she refused to call the police and do anything about it, despite Raspail being the station where she always changes trains. From the whole incident, this was the only detail that I find truly bizarre.

Another time I saw a group of typical suburban chavs being noisy at the end of a coach (line 13? I think) which was annoying to a lady with grey hair who was trying to read her newspaper. She swore at them in quite a succulent way (looking like she enjoyed it), but there wasn't anything particularly wrong with the chavs so they just laughed her off. I would say that a decent perception of who's just a **** and who's truly "out there" (troubled in life or, like it most often happens, mentally derranged) and therefore not to be engaged, makes life easy anywhere, in any context.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 09:47 PM   #4676
hans280

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
Wow, what a story. Really hard to get the hang of the thought process of your friend, though, hans. I find the metro very safe despite the almost complete lack of security (only seen security people in action a couple of times in four years), but it surely wouldn't be the same if I had the habit of getting confrontational with troubled / derranged people from the bottom of the social ladder.
My "friend" (I've met her twice) is simply and purely Old Germany. In her rulebook there are two paragraphs that apply to this kind of situation. Explanation follows.

Paragraph one: any antisocial behaviour or disturbance of the public order is totally unacceptable. Poverty and, within reason, mental disturbance cannot serve as an excuse.

Paragraph two: the enforcement of paragraph one cannot rely on the authorities alone. Members of the public are allowed - and indeed obliged - to take action to censure unacceptable behaviour.

As a Danish citizen I have a lot of respect for the German approach (and a lot of disdain for the French "individualisme") but at the end of the day it comes down to national differences.

Old May 19th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #4677
Minato ku

Porte de Saint-Cloud

Old May 20th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #4678
gambarini

Likes (Received): 147

Porte de Montreuil

Cité

Nation

Carrefour Pleiel

Last edited by gambarini; May 20th, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
gambarini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #4679
gambarini

Likes (Received): 147

Passy

Gare d'Austerliz

Last edited by gambarini; May 21st, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
gambarini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #4680
retailobserver

Likes (Received): 59

It is nice to see photos of more and more metro stations getting the upgrade they direly need. Although they are virtually refreshing it's a shame the same cant be said about the smell. And they may have better lighting but I doubt it helps to improve sense of security.

Robi_damian liked this post
retailobserver no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway