daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2014, 03:07 PM   #4961
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26180

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...in-option.html

Paris exercises metro train option
20 Oct 2014

FRANCE: Paris public transport operator RATP has exercised an option for 12 MF01 steel-wheeled metro trainsets to be supplied by a consortium of Alstom, Bombardier Transportation and AREVA TA for lines 2, 5 and 9. The €75m order announced on October 20 is an option on an order placed in 2001.

The trains will be fitted with CCTV and air-conditioning. Regenerative braking will allow energy savings of up to 30% compared with traditional metro trainsets. The 750 V DC traction equipment is designed to reduce noise and vibration, according to Alstom.

Deliveries are due to end in 2016. Alstom has overall responsibility for the project and is supplying components from its plants in Montréal, Tarbes, Ornans and Villeurbanne. Final assembly will take place at its Valenciennes site.

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2014, 01:01 AM   #4962
Minato ku

Gare de Lyon at 7:30PM

Svartmetall, charpentier, M90, Kane_84 liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 09:08 PM   #4963
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8832

Anvers Station on Line 2.

At Charles de Gaulle - Etoile on line 6.

École Militaire Station Line 8. Love the ceiling of this station.

Station entrance at Boulogne - Pont de Saint-Cloud on Line 10.

That's enough for now I think.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 09:50 PM   #4964
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10832

Did you get to do other stuff too, during your stay? :P

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

Svartmetall liked this post
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:06 PM   #4965
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Haha, I got to see a hell of a lot of Paris. I also have a set of videos of all the big tourist sites I saw whilst there (plus a few walks to show off a bit of the Parisian streetscape):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...8eqC_MtxgrclKn

St Cloud was great to go out to, though. Gave nice views across the city - especially from the train. Plus the chateau up there was a nice touch too. The town itself also seemed very cosy so it was definitely a worthwhile visit.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 10:42 PM   #4966
Kane_84
ACC84 Metro & Trains

Likes (Received): 175

Mairie des Lilas

Svartmetall, M90, Minato ku liked this post
Kane_84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 01:57 AM   #4967
Minato ku

Waterproofing work at Alésia station.

Old October 26th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #4968
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26180

From Le Parisien, RATP said that opening of Line 12 extension to Maire d'Auberville will opened two years behind schedule - in 2019. Link in French:
http://www.leparisien.fr/seine-saint...14-4236219.php
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #4969
Flo Flo
Parisian Guy

Likes (Received): 1685

For the Line 12, an opening date in 2017 was realistic, as most of the job had already been achieved during the first phase of the extension (to Front Populaire). Pushing it back by 2 years is a real joke.

However, for the Line 14 (also supposed to open in 2017), it has always been obvious that it wouldn't be the case, considering that they have to bore a 5.5km long tunnel with a TBM in a really dense environment and dig 4 new stations. That's a really hard and complicated job. Right now they say 2019, which means that we can reasonably expect to see it open by 2021 - 2022.

The southern part of the brand new Line 15 is going to be 33km long, entirely bored by a TBM (they plan to use 7 of them at the same time). The job is expected to start "at the beginning of 2016", which probably means second semester at least. Once agin, the 2020 deadline will never be kept. If everything is fine, and considering the colossal amount of work that has to be done (let's keep in mind that the tunnel will roughly have the same length as the Lötschberg Basis Tunnel), we could have it by 2024 or 2025.

Recently, Manuel Valls said the opening dates of some sections of the "Grand Paris Express" project would be improved (for example 2024 instead of 2027 for the southern section of the Line 14 to Orly airport). Let's hope it means there is a real Government will to build them and in that case, the delays could be reduced, so maybe an opening date of 2027 or 2028 (i.e. similar to the initial estimated completion) are still reasonable.

Concerning the rest of the Grand Paris, the current estimated completion dates are of course totally wrong. If everything gets actually built, it could be by 2050 at least or 2060.

To conclude, I want to insist on the fact that I'm NOT criticizing engineers, technicians or workers who are in charge of turning these structural landmarks projects into reality. I'm criticizing politicians who just announce non realistic dates as ways to improve their popularity. The sad consequence is that many people then rely on those dates (thousands of commuters who suffer every day from overpacking problems) and then get really disappointed when the government faces reality and is forced to admit that what they said was wrong.

dimlys1994, M90, Tom 958 liked this post
Flo Flo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #4970
Dooie_Amsterdammert
Loving #dutch windwheel

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo Flo View Post

For the Line 12, an opening date in 2017 was realistic, as most of the job had already been achieved during the first phase of the extension (to Front Populaire). Pushing it back by 2 years is a real joke.
...*snip*
quite A story..
*snap*...

To conclude, I want to insist on the fact that I'm NOT criticizing engineers, technicians or workers who are in charge of turning these structural landmarks projects into reality. I'm criticizing politicians who just announce non realistic dates as ways to improve their popularity. The sad consequence is that many people then rely on those dates (thousands of commuters who suffer every day from overpacking problems) and then get really disappointed when the government faces reality and is forced to admit that what they said was wrong.
Just A -painfully simple- tip, never trust any politician or anyone else that hides his or her lack of responsibilities behind:
- rules
- protocols
- laws
- peer pressure
- someone else
- technology of any kind
- financial market/system
Or any believe system period.
Dooie_Amsterdammert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 09:45 PM   #4971
VincentB_

Likes (Received): 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
École Militaire Station Line 8. Love the ceiling of this station.

This ceiling is very typical from the oldest stations (especially on line 1) that were built using the cut and cover method. The coverage was made of bricks and iron.

Here are some picture taken during construction. As you can see, this coverage is extremely thin.

Station Rue de Rivoli (credits : RATP) :

Station Porte d'Orleans (credits : RATP) :

Station Rue de la Pompe (credits : Agence Roger-Viollet) :

Old October 26th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #4972
Minato ku

Bourse

Svartmetall, Kane_84, M90 liked this post
Old October 28th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #4973
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Here we go then, a few more of my own photos of the Parisian metro system.

Firstly, guess where we are here on Line 1. I just liked the signage and the wood-effect.

This station had an interesting light strip that flashed here. Unfortunately I didn't have enough space on my memory card to take a video at this point. Maubert-Mutualité on Line 10.

Gare d'Austerlitz on the line 5 platform with the stunning new MF 01 stock making an appearance again.

Some of the murals at Bastille station on Line 1.

That's it for now. Nearing the end of my photos now.
Old October 28th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #4974
parcdesprinces
churches & stadia/arenas

Likes (Received): 9964

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentB_ View Post
Station Rue de la Pompe (credits : Agence Roger-Viollet) :

A little mistake here because this is not Rue de la Pompe station (which is not a "cut & cover station" since it's located under the Passy/Chaillot hill), but Rome station on Ligne 2. We can clearly see the Chaptal high school on your pic BTW.

The same place today:

Old October 29th, 2014, 12:41 AM   #4975
Minato ku

Châtelet

It is weird to see the corridor linking lines 7 and 11 with the rest of the station without the moving walkways.

Old October 29th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #4976
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

A temporary removal of the travellators?
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:00 AM   #4977
Minato ku

Yes it is temporary. New moving walkways will be installed and the appearance of this corridor will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Châtelet
Some renderings of the renovated station

Old October 29th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #4978
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

That looks like a massive improvement. Chatelet will be completely unrecognisable in a few years won't it? I already saw just how much work was occurring there when I was there (as you can see from my RER photos). I look forward to coming back in the future to see it all completed.
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:22 AM   #4979
Minato ku

Works are heavier in the RER station than in the metro station. The renovation of the subway station is mostly aesthetic while the RER station hall will be enlarged and redesigned.
The biggest in change in the metro station will be the new transfer access between line 4 and 14 and the new entry at Marguerite de Navarre square.
This is entry will link to the metro and the RER and the transfer between Châtelet metro station and Châtelet-les-Halles RER station will be enlarged and redesigned.

A nice video inside Paris metro and Gare Saint-Lazare
Old October 30th, 2014, 08:37 PM   #4980
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
Per Symbioz, Nov 8 - 11, service on the 4 will be suspended north of Barbès for work.
They put stickers on the maps inside the line 4's trains.

Unfortunately, they have badly spaced the stations in the stickers.

Svartmetall, HARTride 2012 liked this post

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway