daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2008, 08:21 PM   #541
Minato ku

I know it was just for show that the safety measures can change according the history of the system.
That's maybe why, tunnels are lighted in Paris and not in London.

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:52 PM   #542
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Surely a manual driver would need to see the tunnel ahead, to see if there are curves and what not. However, by the time the drivers see a curve ahead they're probably at 45mph and about to derail!
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM   #543
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
I know it was just for show that the safety measures can change according the history of the system.
That's maybe why, tunnels are lighted in Paris and not in London.
And staff is allowed in tunnels in Paris while trains are operating unlike London. So they need light. Anyway, in London there would not be enough room in tunnels for walking staff.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM   #544
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Surely a manual driver would need to see the tunnel ahead, to see if there are curves and what not. However, by the time the drivers see a curve ahead they're probably at 45mph and about to derail!
All he needs is to see the signals and signs in the tunnel, which are lighted or reflective, not the curve itself.

In Bucharest tunnels are illuminated only near the stations or at key points, such as maintenance stations, fire stations, electrical panels and so on...
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008, 05:33 AM   #545
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

but still don't you think that they might go too fast on the curves and all that.

also what happens if there are workers in the tunnel the trains run?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #546
Minato ku

Some metro station entrances inside building.
Quite rare in Paris

Louise Michel

Pernety

Bibliotheque Francois Mitterrand
Old April 24th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #547
Cosmin
Euro Mod

I like the modern sign at the entrance to Bibliotheque Francois Mitterrand station. The whole Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand - Bercy area in fact is in my Paris top 10 areas so to say and the Meteor makes getting there a real treat for metro buffs like me. I like the mix between old and new there...
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #548
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
I like the modern sign at the entrance to Bibliotheque Francois Mitterrand station. The whole Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand - Bercy area in fact is in my Paris top 10 areas so to say and the Meteor makes getting there a real treat for metro buffs like me. I like the mix between old and new there...
I agree. You also have the Seine on one side and the new Avenue de France on the other. Then across the Seine, you have Bercy area and the new development all around, with the beautiful, wacky park.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #549
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Quite rare in Paris

Yes, it's more frequent on the RER network... but some stations have a connection with the metro (Haussmann-Saint Lazare, Magenta, Auber...).

Example, a RER C entrance in Porte de Clichy (connected with the )
m@rco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:27 AM   #550
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Quite rare in Paris
By memory, I could also mention Volontaires station on line 12 and Vaneau on line 10. I also remember one in the 20th arrondissement, maybe on line 3bis or line 11.

An interesting one is the one of Lamarck-Caulaincourt which is located in Montmartre. The entrance goes underground, yes, but horizontally !

Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #551
Minato ku

That's right but I don't count the RER, here.

Metroplitan you forgot that one of most used station have it : Les Halles on the

We could add many station on the
Malakoff Plateau de Vanves, Saint Denis Universite and the two new stations that would open in june 2008.

I posted two entrances of Bibliotheque Francois Mitterand station, the first one opened in 1998 and the second one in 2008. (A sighly less than 10 years between the opening of these two entrances).
Old April 25th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #552
Maelstrom

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post
By memory, I could also mention Volontaires station on line 12 and Vaneau on line 10. I also remember one in the 20th arrondissement, maybe on line 3bis or line 11.

An interesting one is the one of Lamarck-Caulaincourt which is located in Montmartre. The entrance goes underground, yes, but horizontally !

I remember this entrance from the movie 'Amelie' - it's beautiful. So cute and Parisien. I'd marry it if I could!
Maelstrom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:19 AM   #553
Minato ku

The average metro entrance

Don't confuse it with anouthing thing, the yellow M is for the metro entrance
Old April 25th, 2008, 11:35 AM   #554
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8834

I actually quite like the average metro entrance far more than the "entrance in a building" style that I associate more with inner London on the London Underground.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #555
Fitó...!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitan View Post

I remember this entrance from the movie 'Amelie' - it's beautiful. So cute and Parisien. I'd marry it if I could!
Oh my God! I was looking for that entrance in Paris. I saw it in Amelie too, but I guessed wrong it was Abbesses. At least I found "Le Cafe des deux Moulins" lol
Old April 26th, 2008, 06:45 AM   #556
Maelstrom

I remember she goes into that station enterance, and it's Abbesses station. I guess they used a different station enterance and station in order to make it look like 'cute Paris' a bit more.
Maelstrom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #557
Hugues75
Hugues. Paris, France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
I remember she goes into that station enterance, and it's Abbesses station. I guess they used a different station enterance and station in order to make it look like 'cute Paris' a bit more.
And if I'd seen right, in fact, "Abbesses" in Amelie is not really Abbesses, but "Porte des Lilas cinéma", a closed station used only for movies ; this station is near Porte des Lilas on line M3bis (Gambetta - Porte des Lilas) and line M11 (Châtelet - Mairie des Lilas), and could open if the two "bis-lines" (M3bis + M7bis which is Louis Blanc - Pré-Saint-Gervais) merge, as wanted by the city of Paris : the Porte des Lilas on line M3bis would close.
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #558
Fitó...!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugues75 View Post
And if I'd seen right, in fact, "Abbesses" in Amelie is not really Abbesses, but "Porte des Lilas cinéma", a closed station used only for movies ; this station is near Porte des Lilas on line M3bis (Gambetta - Porte des Lilas) and line M11 (Châtelet - Mairie des Lilas), and could open if the two "bis-lines" (M3bis + M7bis which is Louis Blanc - Pré-Saint-Gervais) merge, as wanted by the city of Paris : the Porte des Lilas on line M3bis would close.
Hey! Now that You mention it! There are several "ghost" or closed stations. I saw many of those abandoned platforms while riding the parisian subway.
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #559
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Louvre Rivoli

Bir-Hakeim

Place des Fętes
Old April 27th, 2008, 04:16 AM   #560
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

wow thats cool a subway entrance inside of buildings but anyways i got to say but London and Paris is not the only cities that have Metro station entrances inside buildings.

i remember some stations of the New York City Subway system having some stations like that too.

i wonder something of the paris Metro are they going to install Elevators to the stations for the Handicap because it seems unfair to those people and also i remember the NYC Subway system installing elevators to its stations as well.

but never the less awesome pictures continue more please too bad i will never get to experience the wonder of Paris and its Transport systems.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway