daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #5661
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
The Paris metro is very good at doing what it does - transporting people around central Paris. For that it is incredibly good and due to the density of the stations it is incredibly convenient. Due to that density it is slower than other metros with further spaced stations, however, Paris also has the RER for distant transport as well.
Conceptually, I agree. However, as much as I like the Metro and RER, I'll pick two nits:
1) The RER is great for traveling a substantial distance across Paris without stopping every 500 meters. However, there are too few RER lines crossing Paris. For example, an additional RER line connecting Gare Austerlitz to Gare Montparnasse to La Motte-Piquet Grenelle without intermediary stops and of course continuing east and west into the suburbs, perhaps taking branches from RER A.
2) With the density of stations in Paris, there should not be any need for buses clogging up the streets above. About four more well place Metro lines and Paris could eliminate all intra-city bus services, except of course night buses when the Metro is not running. That would dramatically reduce both pollution and traffic congestion and speed up public transport.

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2016, 05:11 AM   #5662
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

I suspect that the buses "fill out the gaps" to a degree, providing service along routes where transfers would be needed, and perhaps the lines are already crowded.
Old July 24th, 2016, 05:50 AM   #5663
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I suspect that the buses "fill out the gaps" to a degree, providing service along routes where transfers would be needed, and perhaps the lines are already crowded.
Yes, to an extent. That is why about four more Metro lines would be needed in order to eliminate the buses.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 07:11 AM   #5664
00Zy99

Is that in addition to the current Grand Paris Express plan?

And if so, are there any plans for said lines? If so, would they then discontinue the buses?

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #5665
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10832

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
2) With the density of stations in Paris, there should not be any need for buses clogging up the streets above. About four more well place Metro lines and Paris could eliminate all intra-city bus services, except of course night buses when the Metro is not running. That would dramatically reduce both pollution and traffic congestion and speed up public transport.
That's a very bizarre idea. Inner Paris is actually underserved in terms of buses. Paris doesn't have a bus problem, it has a car problem.
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 05:42 PM   #5666
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Plus sometimes its faster to go by bus than by metro. When you have to change 1 or 2 times - it takes much more time than one could think. I dont know why eliminate buses? They are not a problem.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #5667
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Yeah, there is a need for better surface transport, which the mayor would like to answer with inner Paris tram lines. I think that's silly, tram networks are hugely expensive to build, buses are more than sufficient.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

Falubaz, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 24th, 2016, 11:32 PM   #5668
00Zy99

Is there a map of the proposed inner-Paris tram lines? Will this eventually create a cohesive tram network as opposed to the isolated mess of today?

Trams have the benefits of being higher-capacity, greener, and more attractive to tourists.

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 12:49 PM   #5669
charpentier

Likes (Received): 29848

Relax, it is the bluetram, not exactly a tram, rather an electric bus.

djole13, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
charpentier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #5670
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

^ I think the first concrete proposal was for in reality is a Translohr line? It was posted here for sure. The trajectory was supposed to be similar to that of métro line 1, along the Seine quais or something.

===

Italian cities: pure beauty / France - One photo a day / Bucharest: timelapse + architecture

Old July 25th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #5671
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

Is there any plan to replace the elevated sections of Paris Metro?

mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #5672
Falubaz

What for? They are the best part! I love those elevated structures in Paris Metro - the best in the world - in my opinion - for its beautiful architecture! Especially the bridge at Bir Hakeim stn.
Old July 25th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #5673
charpentier

Likes (Received): 29848

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
^ I think the first concrete proposal was for in reality is a Translohr line? It was posted here for sure. The trajectory was supposed to be similar to that of métro line 1, along the Seine quais or something.
About the Translohr intra-muros, I don't know. In any case the "trams" are indeed supposed to follow the banks of the Seine.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, djole13 liked this post
charpentier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 11:15 PM   #5674
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Plus sometimes its faster to go by bus than by metro.
That's because there are not enough Metro lines.

mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2016, 11:37 PM   #5675
Falubaz

Well, i dont think so. There might be not enough demand for a metro line, and buses can handle it easily.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Old July 26th, 2016, 03:01 AM   #5676
C4creeper
The architect of my world

Likes (Received): 63

I'm hoping Châtelet won't be completely covered in graffiti by the time it's finished.
C4creeper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2016, 01:09 AM   #5677
Minato ku

I don't see why, they are tagging only on raw walls (like in Oberkampf) or on the protective tarpaulins.
It's very rare to see graffiti on tiles.

Mouton Duvernet will close for renovation from August 8 to November 13.

They have removed the tiles at Alésia, the metal panels at Denfert-Rochereau and the station between both will close.
We are beginning to see the effect of the work for the automation of line 4.
Old July 30th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #5678
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote:
That's because there are not enough Metro lines.
Sorry for the late reply to this. The problem with the métro is not the coverage, which is fantastic, but the lack of accessibility. Entire categories of possible users are excluded to a large extent from using the métro: disabled people, old people, people with luggage, families with baby carriages, etc. There are also other categories of people like those with underground anxiety or tourists, who would rather see the city when travelling in it. One could be dismissive of tourists but in Paris' case they are absolutely essential to the city's economy, status etc.

===

Old July 31st, 2016, 02:04 PM   #5679
VincentB_

Likes (Received): 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
Is there any plan to replace the elevated sections of Paris Metro?
No. Why ? In fact, since those lines are rubber tyred, the people leaving nearby do not suffer from noise and vibrations anymore and such a replacement is not necessary. In fact, as Falubaz said, those lines are very popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Yes

Quote:
Yes, to an extent. That is why about four more Metro lines would be needed in order to eliminate the buses.
"Eliminate the busses" : why ? More metro lines it out of the question. There's absolutely no need for new lines inside Paris. In fact many officials consider now that building the line 14 was a costly mistake and that the line E would have been sufficient.

As Alexandru.Mircea said, Paris has a problem with cars, not with busses. Paris need even more surface public transport : between 1930 and 1980, the authorites wanted to convert the network to an all-underground sytem ; it was a disaster...

Moreover, do not forget that the soil in Paris is probably the worst place on earth to build tunnels. It is saturated with water,very unstable (the city is built over former stone quarries ; i suggest to read this Blake and Mortimer comic : Le collier de la reine ) and there's a lack of available space underground.

Suburbs to suburbs lines are now much more needed than lines inside Paris.

Quote:
For example, an additional RER line connecting Gare Austerlitz to Gare Montparnasse to La Motte-Piquet Grenelle without intermediary stops and of course continuing east and west into the suburbs, perhaps taking branches from RER A.
Such a line wouldn't really make sense. It would follow the same orentation (east-west) as 3 existing RER lines ; RER lines are essentially connections between suburban networks : such a connection already exists between Montparnasse and Austerlitz networks with the RER C.

A RER between Saint Lazare and Montparnasse would be much more interesting. This project was put indefinitely on hold because of its cost.

---------------

Porte des Lilas (L3bis & 11) :

Stairs to the L3bis station :

The L3bis is the shortest line of the metro :

Old August 1st, 2016, 05:55 PM   #5680
gt670dn

Likes (Received): 10

Finally visiting Paris next week, but one question raises:
How excatly can you buy a Passe Navigo Decouverte from a ticket machine if you need a photo for it? Does it scan the photo somehow or can you only get it at a ticket window? I have read somewhere it will work at the machine.
If purchase is only possible at a ticket window, can you give me an estimation of how crowded they are at Gare de l'Est around 10:30 on Monday?

Thank you!
gt670dn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway