daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2017, 03:42 AM   #5821
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise75 View Post
[2/2]

-snip-
Why is everyone trying to copy Canary Wharf nowadays? First Hudson Yards, now this...

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #5822
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Canary Wharf wasn't the pioneer. There are stations in Moscow and Washington that are similar. Its just a generically pleasant way to enter a station.
Old May 14th, 2017, 04:00 AM   #5823
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
Why is everyone trying to copy Canary Wharf nowadays? First Hudson Yards, now this...
It is a modern design for new entrances, meant to be used primarily through escalators. This is cheaper than staggered escalators.
Old May 14th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #5824
Antje
Public Transport Fan

I wonder what are the official Pantone colours for the Paris Métro, RER, Tram and Transilien lines?

Let’s explain Pantone to RATP. by Mx Jena, on Flickr

dimlys1994, parcdesprinces liked this post
Antje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 03:05 PM   #5825
Estourbi

Likes (Received): 776

The preliminary works for the construction of line 15 have consisted thus far of getting underground infrastructures out of the way. But this month, it started to become serious with the demolition of several buildings for the Gare d'Issy station.

The ground floor of this building will be the main access to the station, the top floors will be apartments. 150 000 passengers a day are expected to use it. There's an estimated 45 000 (and rising) inhabitants in a 1 km radius.

Here are the photos of the buildings being demolished or about to be :

Say goodbye to the adequately named Café de la Gare (café of the station)

On the other side of the road they have demolished a parking lot and R+1 shops, as the actual station will lay 22 meters below.

Old May 17th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #5826
ed24

Likes (Received): 16

Are they allowing any provision for a Line 12 extension to the station?
ed24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #5827
Estourbi

Likes (Received): 776

Yes. The extension of the line to Gare d'Issy has been part of the SDRIF (Shéma Directeur de la Région Ile-de-France - that is to say the regional transport plan) since 2008 and has been confirmed recently. So they had plenty of time to prepare
Line 12 should follow roughly the Victor Cresson avenue, go through one arch (but underground of course) of the RER C viaduct in order to avoid weakening the pillars and the station should be somewhere below the Verdun avenue, near the new station building.
That is probably one of the reasons the main access point for the Gare d'Issy station is to the side of the actual L15 station and not simply on top of it, so that it sits halfway, or there about, between the platforms of the two lines.
Of course, this extension won't take place before long (around 2030) and the preliminary studies have not been completed yet. So the details could still change quite a bit.

Minato ku, ed24, Swede, dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Estourbi; May 18th, 2017 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Syntax
Estourbi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #5828
VincentB_

Likes (Received): 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
Cut-and-cover is still the best method of subway construction.
Well... Sometimes this is true but this method in some case has several drawbacks.

It's cheaper than a tunnel built with a boring machine ; and the tunnel will be very close to the surface : that means, an easy access for passengers.

But that means that the tunnel will follow the same path as the streets ; in an old european city like Paris, that means very tight curves. You can clearly see that on the oldest lines.

mrsmartman liked this post
VincentB_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:00 PM   #5829
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentB_ View Post
Well... Sometimes this is true but this method in some case has several drawbacks.

It's cheaper than a tunnel built with a boring machine ; and the tunnel will be very close to the surface : that means, an easy access for passengers.

But that means that the tunnel will follow the same path as the streets; in an old european city like Paris, that means very tight curves. You can clearly see that on the oldest lines.
Cut-and-cover is not necessarily cheaper. TBM technology evolved a lot. Furthermore, in modern cities, you cannot just shut down water and sewage mains for months in front of buildings. Tearing up all utilities and relocating pipes and wires is extremely time-consuming and expensive if you assume all services are to be kept running throughout the project. The complexity of infrastructure buried under streets and carriageways of modern cities is substantially more than 120 years ago. Cut and cover is also affected by modern rules that limit dust emission on such projects.

You cannot just shut down a whole block, leave residents to carry water on buckets, draw a semi-open sewage pipe in the sidewalk, take electricity and phone lines down, and tell residents to weather it while breathing dust.
Old May 20th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #5830
Minato ku

The line 12 extension is not built using cut and cover method, the tunnel was built using a tbm.
It's the stations that are built cut and cover.

Montparnasse on line 4 reopened last friday.
They strengthened the platforms.

Old May 25th, 2017, 04:16 PM   #5831
Lor92

Likes (Received): 599

Hello everyone, I've got a question for you.
Is this the only thread about the Metro of Paris on SkyScraperCity, or is there an official main thread in the French subforum? I couldn't find one so I was wondering where I could have a chat with the actual users (not that I'm assuming no one here has ever taken the metro in Paris, I just thought that I could find more local people in a French thread).

I'll probably be in Paris next September and being a huge metro fan I'm looking for some advice about where to go and what to see.

I miei album su Google Photos:
Lor92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #5832
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor92 View Post
Hello everyone, I've got a question for you.
Is this the only thread about the Metro of Paris on SkyScraperCity, or is there an official main thread in the French subforum? I couldn't find one so I was wondering where I could have a chat with the actual users (not that I'm assuming no one here has ever taken the metro in Paris, I just thought that I could find more local people in a French thread).

I'll probably be in Paris next September and being a huge metro fan I'm looking for some advice about where to go and what to see.
Paris Metro is the world record holder for the most reverse loops.

Paris Metro is mostly built by the "cut-and-cover" method. However, its stations have a vault-shaped design.

Lor92, dimlys1994 liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #5833
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1536

Quote:
Paris Metro is mostly built by the "cut-and-cover" method. However, its stations have a vault-shaped design.
No, no, it's not true

When sections of line or station were built by the cut-and-cover method
http://www.unjourdeplusaparis.com/fi...etro-paris.jpg

=> they look, inside, like this : http://projets-architecte-urbanisme....00-700x477.jpg. Such section/method are not majority.

Vaulted sections or stations were generally bored, by such method :
http://www.ecribouille.net/wp-conten...ro-paris-1.jpg

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".

Lor92, mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by nanar; May 25th, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
nanar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 07:52 AM   #5834
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1453

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanar View Post
No, no, it's not true

When sections of line or station were built by the cut-and-cover method
http://www.unjourdeplusaparis.com/fi...etro-paris.jpg

=> they look, inside, like this : http://projets-architecte-urbanisme....00-700x477.jpg. Such section/method are not majority.

Vaulted sections or stations were generally bored, by such method :
http://www.ecribouille.net/wp-conten...ro-paris-1.jpg
Thanks for the clarification. Why the routes of the metro were aligned to streets if they were constructed by tunnel boring?
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 07:54 AM   #5835
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Why the routes of the metro were aligned to streets if they were constructed by tunnel boring?
Much easier, plus less aboveground​ structures affected.
It's the same modern day.

mrsmartman, nanar liked this post
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 10:54 AM   #5836
Lor92

Quote:
Paris Metro is the world record holder for the most reverse loops.

Isn't it forbidden to stay aboard the train after it reaches the terminus? Is that tolerated?

Old May 27th, 2017, 01:48 PM   #5837
VincentB_

Likes (Received): 494

Quote:
Isn't it forbidden to stay aboard the train after it reaches the terminus? Is that tolerated?
In fact I don't know... but it happens very often, by accident especially on automated lines (M12 and M14), when people (because they were distracted, because they fell asleep...) forget to go out and are then trapped in the train.

Quote:
It's very difficult to give you an answer... other than "everywhere and everything" And it depends if you're more interested in history or technology.

My advices :

- do not focus on the metro only ; the network is fully integrated and we don't make any difference between the different means of transport when we are inside the city limits ; and as the metro runs mostly underground, it's not the best way to have a good look on the city ;

- the first thing to do is to buy a "Navigo découverte" contactless pass ; it's cheap, easy to use and you'll have the feeling to be a real parisian for the whole week

Lor92 liked this post
VincentB_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #5838
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1536

Quote:
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsHalt View Post
Much easier, plus less aboveground​ structures affected.
It's the same modern day.
50 years before metro contruction, G.E. Haussmann, prefect of Paris during Second French Empire (Napoleon III Emperor)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George...A8ne_Haussmann
realized a lot of great avenues and boulevards through Paris (in red)
http://www.wmaker.net/opcc/photo/art...g?v=1289481835

This gave very convenient ways for métro.

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".

Last edited by nanar; May 27th, 2017 at 08:26 PM.
nanar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #5839
Lor92

Quote:
It's very difficult to give you an answer... other than "everywhere and everything" And it depends if you're more interested in history or technology.
Let's say 60% technology, 40% history

Quote:
- do not focus on the metro only ; the network is fully integrated and we don't make any difference between the different means of transport when we are inside the city limits ; and as the metro runs mostly underground, it's not the best way to have a good look on the city ;
You're right, this is why I was trying to understand which stations are absolutely a must-see. The last (and only) time I went to Paris, the Montmartre Funicular was closed, so that's one place where I sould to go. I would kill to get in the ghost/abandoned stations, but I know they are almost never opened to the public.

Quote:
- the first thing to do is to buy a "Navigo découverte" contactless pass ; it's cheap, easy to use and you'll have the feeling to be a real parisian for the whole week
Actually, since I'll be staying there from Friday to Monday, and since I'm still 25, I was willing to buy the Ticket Jeunes Weekend (2x4€) and concentrate most of my public transport trips in the weekend itself. I've already heard of Navigo but I think it'll be more useful to me the next times I'll be in Paris

Last edited by Lor92; May 28th, 2017 at 02:38 AM.
Old May 28th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #5840
Pierre de Coubertin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 115

Hi,
how 're going the works in Saint Denis Pleyel, very interesting interchange, where is planned will be served by 5 metro lines. Have the works started yet?
Is there anyone that could post a pic of the area, in case works started.

Thanks
Pierre de Coubertin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway