daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #5841
VincentB_

Likes (Received): 494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor92 View Post
I would kill to get in the ghost/abandoned stations, but I know they are almost never opened to the public.
They are closely guarded ; moreover, since we're living in a state of emergency, trying to do this would be a VERY bad idea.

Quote:
since I'm still 25, I was willing to buy the Ticket Jeunes Weekend (2x4€) and concentrate most of my public transport trips in the weekend itself.
Ok ; be careful : this pass is valid until 12 PM ! And most of the time, days in Paris are all but short...

Then, my shortlist :
- the most impressive stations are not on the subway but on the RER A ;

- the subway lines were built by two different companies : the CMP and the Nord-Sud ; the look of their stations was very different ; typical NS stations can be seen on the line 12 ; NS stations are much more colored ;

- my favorite entrances : Porte Dauphine (Guimard style, M2) ; Solférino (NS style, M12) ; the stations on the M3bis ;

- the most beautiful view on Paris is from the RER C, on the Rouelle bridge between Kennedy and Champ de Mars ;

- the most complicated maze : Châtelet ; or Auber ; or Etoile ; or... ; the most complicated station without any RER station is Montparnasse ;

- the most impressive stairs : Télégraphe (M11), Abbesses (under Montmartre, M12 ; Abbesses is a typical NS station but with a Guimard CMP entrance since the station was not correctly renovated) ;

- the line to avoid : M13 during peak hours...

- the most unusual rolling stock is the MF 88 on the 7bis ; the line is largely unknown from the tourists ; the oldest trains are the MP59 on the M11 ;

- on the platfoms of the M5 Bastille station, the remnants of the foundations of the Bastille fortress are visible ;

- one of Paris oddity is the use of rubber tyred trains on several lines ; by today standards they are bumpy and noisy ; i suggest to stay on a platform of an elevated station for a few minutes to hear the very special noise of the trains ; you will never forget it

An finally, a funny way to use all means of transport from the center of Paris : RER B to the south, change at Cité universitaire ; T3a to Garigliano ; out at Georges Brassens ; follow Dantzig street, then turn to the left and walk along the former Petite Ceinture railway line ; leave the footpath at Balard, back to the T3a to Garigliano ; at Garigliano, take the bus PC1, change at Foch or Porte Maillot ; take the RER C to the north, change at Pereire Levallois and take the M3 back to Paris.

Lor92, mrsmartman, alexandru.mircea liked this post

Last edited by VincentB_; May 29th, 2017 at 05:29 PM.
VincentB_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2017, 02:21 PM   #5842
Lor92

Likes (Received): 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentB_ View Post
They are closely guarded ; moreover, since we're living in a state of emergency, trying to do this would be a VERY bad idea.
Of course I never really meant to get there illegally I've read about exceptional openings during special events such as the White Night, but I assume they do it once in a blue moon.

Quote:
Ok ; be careful : this pass is valid until 12 PM ! And most of the time, days in Paris are all but short...
Since I should go there solo I think I probably won't stay out too late... Anyways shouldn't it be ok if I bought two week-end passes and I obliterated the second during the first hours of Sunday night?

Quote:
Then, my shortlist :

- one of Paris oddity is the use of rubber tyred trains on several lines ; by todays standards they are bumpy and noisy ; i suggest to stay on a platform of an elevated station for a few minutes to hear the very special noise of the trains ; you will never forget it
Thanks for the suggestions and the infos! .
In fact, one of the most vivid memories I have from Paris is the smell of hot rubber you could breathe when entering the M4. Has the odor ever changed since 10 years ago? It would be traumatizing for me to find that out

Quote:
An finally, a funny way to use all means of transport from the center of Paris : RER B to the south, change at Cité universitaire ; T3a to Garigliano ; out at Georges Brassens ; follow Dantzig street, then turn on the left and walk along the former Petite Ceinture railway line ; leave the footpath at Balard, back to the T3a to Garigliano ; at Garigliano, take the bus PC1, change at Foch or Porte Maillot ; take the RER C to the north, change at Pereire Levallois and take the M3 back to Paris.
Wow, that's surely a long trip! If I have some time I would definitely try to make it.

I miei album su Google Photos:
Lor92 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 08:33 PM   #5843
VincentB_

Likes (Received): 494

Quote:
Since I should go there solo I think I probably won't stay out too late...
I'm never back to my hotel before 1 AM when i'm in Paris

Quote:
Anyways shouldn't it be ok if I bought two week-end passes and I obliterated the second during the first hours of Sunday night?
Yes

Quote:
Has the odor ever changed since 10 years ago? It would be traumatizing for me to find that out
No.

But the smell was not the same in the 70' ! The motor of the old Sprague-Thomson trains produced a great amount of ozone ; the smell of this gas was very strong.

Quote:
Wow, that's surely a long trip! If I have some time I would definitely try to make it.
2 hours if you walk fast and if you're lucky at the interchanges (but i suggest to take some time to visit the booksellers in Georges Brassens park ; they are open on saturdays and sundays ; its one of my favorite places in Paris).

Lor92, mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by VincentB_; May 28th, 2017 at 08:39 PM.
VincentB_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2017, 01:11 PM   #5844
Estourbi

Likes (Received): 776

Photos of the construction of the Fort d'Issy-Vanves-Clamart station (transilien and line 15)

The concrete slab that will slide underneath the railway tracks in august 2017 (cf video at the end of the post for further information)

The Transilien railway tracks. They will be removed in august to let the concrete slab through.

And here's a video explaining what they are doing (notions of french helpful but not essential to understand):

Old May 30th, 2017, 08:06 AM   #5845
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre de Coubertin View Post
Hi,
how 're going the works in Saint Denis Pleyel, very interesting interchange, where is planned will be served by 5 metro lines. Have the works started yet?
Is there anyone that could post a pic of the area, in case works started.

Thanks
Some prepatory works at the site began in March, but no main construction:
https://www.societedugrandparis.fr/w...dp_exe-web.pdf

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #5846
mrsmartman

Likes (Received): 1452

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanar View Post
No, no, it's not true

When sections of line or station were built by the cut-and-cover method
http://www.unjourdeplusaparis.com/fi...etro-paris.jpg

=> they look, inside, like this : http://projets-architecte-urbanisme....00-700x477.jpg. Such section/method are not majority.

Vaulted sections or stations were generally bored, by such method :
http://www.ecribouille.net/wp-conten...ro-paris-1.jpg

A display of Line 3's cut-and-cover construction technique at Opéra. The vault heading underneath Rue Auber is visible

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_M%C3%A9tro_Line_3

I don't understand why Paris Metro was mostly built by the "cut-and-cover" method but its stations had a vault-shaped design.

Heavyduty liked this post
mrsmartman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #5847
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2090

Haha - take a look at all those hats trying to get a glimpse of the construction work. At least that's something that hasn't changed - except for the hats
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #5848
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10831

Speaking of the construction of the metro, I love this painting, sadly there isn't a better image of it on the internet:

It's a painting by Maximilien Luce (post-impressionist painter) showing the construction of the metro in Issy. Impressive!

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...._98.04.15.JPG
alexandru.mircea está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 02:10 PM   #5849
nanar
nanar

Likes (Received): 1510

Same place (Opéra) some times before . Visible tunnel is line 3, under rue Auber
http://www.amtuir.org/04_htu_metro_p..._trou_ratp.jpg

Map of the site, where three lines (nr 3, 7 & 8) cross on three levels in a (quite) circular pit :

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...des_lignes.jpg

Subterranean drawing : line 3 on top level, line 7 in middle level, line 8 bottom of the pit. One can see metallic frame covering the pit.

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/pari...c-72484923.jpg

Inside the pit :
We are in mid level tunnel of line 7.
Above : the iron "bridge" , linking two bored sections of line 3 under rue Auber and rue du 4 Septembre
Future line 8 will pass under

http://www.cparama.com/forum/cartes2...x-1-DC-534.jpg

Decades later, RER A line was bored more than 10 meters under this pit by TBM.

Découvrez les sites darly.org & lyonmetro.org
"Si vous ne considérez pas le vélo urbain comme une partie de la solution aux problèmes de déplacement dans les villes, vous êtes une partie du problème".

Last edited by nanar; June 8th, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
nanar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 08:27 AM   #5850
Estourbi

Preparatory works on the Châtillon-Montrouge station (current line 13 south terminus and future line 15 station) have started.

The station, which is expected to get 95 000 passengers daily, will be 31 meters deep.

They are currently demolishing buildings, mostly single family homes, on the north-eastern side of the Marx Dormoy avenue, in order to change the course of the avenue and widen the current plaza next to the tracks. The actual station building will be built on this plaza.

The photo was taken from the current plaza.

Buildings yet to be demolished.
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:29 PM   #5851
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

It seems authorities in PAris take rather good care of buildings awaiting demolition, instead of letting them rot or became spots for homeless/drug users as it sadly happens in some other European cities.
Old June 21st, 2017, 02:59 PM   #5852
bifhihher

Likes (Received): 20

I'm surprised by the escalator lay-out from Estourbi.
Those escalators will be annoying for a quick descent, it looks mall-like (you have to walk around a few times to take the next flight of esalators... :S

It lowers speed, no?
bifhihher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 09:40 PM   #5853
Estourbi

This impression is mainly due to the perspective chosen in the picture.
You can see here that it is not the case:

You've got another escalator immediatly to the right of the previous one.

You can find more renders and images on the site of the architectes :

http://www.peripheriques-architectes...tation-line-15

dougdoug liked this post
Estourbi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 08:31 AM   #5854
Tyger-Wyger
That Crazy Transport Cat

Likes (Received): 49

Progress!!!

Last month I finally finished riding the entire Paris Métro after 20 years of trying.

The month before I also finished riding the entire Paris RER with a trip from Magenta to Criel and return on the one daily train of the RER that goes the entire distance.

I've also ridden T3A, T3B and T4 to include the outer branch that starts at Esbly even though that's an SNCF rail service rather than part of RATP or the RER.

My next several trips will be to finish off the tram network.

When I go on these little adventures, it is only after spending as long as needed with system maps of the network concerned. I write out directions from the Gare du Nord to each place that I'm going to and mention all connections so I don't get lost. I've already done this for the rest of the tram network. And yes, I've also done the Montmartre funicular one time. I got lucky and arrived just before the last downward trip of the day departed.

I've also done all the Bruxelles Métro and Pre-Métro plus some of the outer trams.

Same for Lille. The entire Métro, tram network and of course some of the buses.

And I've done the entire Belgian SNCB rail network as well.

Now that I'm fully retired, I have more time to do things like this.

I live in Belgium but usually drive into France to get a TGV to wherever I'm going on the day. I have an SNCF Senior+ Card and makes train travel quite cheap.

Métro Line 10 is a 'Must Ride' as are Lines 3 Bis and 7 Bis. So is Line 1 if you get in the first car so you can see out the front. You can also do this on Line 14 and maybe one or two of the others.

Reste trés bien comme un porc-épic!!!

Last edited by Tyger-Wyger; June 23rd, 2017 at 08:56 PM.
Tyger-Wyger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2017, 12:40 AM   #5855
dougdoug

Likes (Received): 2631

Line 14 extension (5km) new station Pont Cardinet 17th district (North of Paris)
Will open in 2019

Old June 24th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #5856
Minato ku

Corridor linking lines 7 and 11 to the rest of the station at Châtelet.

Old June 25th, 2017, 03:41 AM   #5857
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Corridor linking lines 7 and 11 to the rest of the station at Châtelet.

Am I the only one who finds a bit confusing the exits destinations to the right and to the left on those new signs? Exits 15 and 17 seem clear to be to the left, 19 to the right, but I am not completely sure about 16 and 18. Should I trust the position of the upper line 11 sign and considering that they are to the right? They should improve the spacing and the signage on those details...
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 05:31 AM   #5858
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 288

I would think it actually says "you can either go to the left or to the right to get to all these places", considering that there's still quite a distance to go in that passageway.

But yeah it does look a bit convolted, a down arrow at this particular sign would be less misleading.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #5859
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Am I the only one who
Surely no :-) That sign is confusing. At least in this picture. It is possible that in its location everything is clear.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 04:56 AM   #5860
charmers

Likes (Received): 7

Tyger:

So, how long did it take you to ride the entire SNCFM de Paris?
charmers no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway