daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2008, 01:09 AM   #661
Minato ku

There is always some stations closed due at renovation and some other where the station is not even closed.

Here some exemple in the where most stations are under in renovation without closure.

The work is during the night.

Chatelet

Franklin D Roovelet

Georges V

Charles de Gaulle Etoile

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:33 AM   #662
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

It's the same on LU...
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:22 AM   #663
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Passy

Sigh.....
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:48 AM   #664
snow is red
Vicky Pollard lol

Likes (Received): 119

what's wrong with that ?

I think it looks nice and decent enough :/
snow is red no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2008, 11:27 PM   #665
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Metro ride from École Militaire to Cardinal Lemoine explained by a cute lil' American girl. Some good tips for the noobs.

Soundtrack: Berlin - Metro
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:17 AM   #666
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

well i am a noob too if you think about it because i have not been to paris before.

i want to go but traveling is too expensive how much is the metro tickets there in american dollars?

too bad i live across the pond in the USA to witness and to live in europe.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM   #667
Cosmin
Euro Mod

I know how you feel. I'm in Europe, but I'd swap Bucharest for Paris, London or New York in an instant. But yeah, at least two of these cities are in relative easy reach for me.

Anyway, a metro ticket is 1.60 EUR ($2.53) and a Mobilis one day pass is for zones 1-2 is 5.80 EUR ($9.18).
Old July 21st, 2008, 06:08 AM   #668
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

You can buy a carnet of 10 tickets for about 11 Euros though... that's generally the cheapest way to go.
Old July 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM   #669
Sacré Coeur

Likes (Received): 534

You can also buy a "Ticket Jeune" if you are under 26. It's only available during the week end and the day off. It costs €3.2 ($5.7) for 1 day and you can travel as much as you want...
Sacré Coeur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:11 AM   #670
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Hey, you can buy a lot. I just gave the man an example.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 02:39 PM   #671
Minato ku

Malakoff Plateau de Vanves.

A little entrance of the big Montparnasse Bienvenue station.

Old July 24th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #672
hoosier

Likes (Received): 63

I bet higher gas prices aren't bothering Parisians at all. That is what having a great public transit system will do.
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #673
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
I bet higher gas prices aren't bothering Parisians at all. That is what having a great public transit system will do.
Actually higher gas prices aren't bothering the richest parisians who can afford to live in the center nor the poorest who live in the suburb (banlieues) and who have always relied on plublic transport. But the "lower middle class" who live in distant suburbs in small houses located in the "american style" areas builded in the 70' where there is no plublic transportation are having bad times.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #674
Minato ku

MF2000
I happy, it was the first time that I see it running.

The LCD screen were to expensive so the RATP search a cheaper model of LCD screen

It was 11 am the off peak hours. Why the this train was not empty.

I wanted to take a picture (with a cute asian girl inside ) and this guy moved.

Unfortunely I was not more successful for taking picture of the exterior.

Old July 26th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #675
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Quote:
MF2000
I happy, it was the first time that I see it running.
First time you see it running on line 2 you mean. Right?

Nice pics, even though you weren't able to get a shot of that girl.
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #676
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
The LCD screen were to expensive so the RATP search a cheaper model of LCD screen
Are there extra lights behind the left hand side of the panel? If there aren't, the displays will have to be replaced if the line is extended or the trains are moved to a longer line.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #677
Minato ku

Actually for the pannel I doubt that the line 2 will be extented anymore. It is a part of the fake inner ring of Paris (line 2 and 6)
Anjd honestly it is not hard to change these panels, it was already the case with the line 13, the first refurbished trains running before the extention of the line.

Quote:

Here, pictures not taken by me. The LCD screen were next to the panel.
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #678
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

oh man thats cool the new Rail cars look awesome and it looks so clean.

yeah sorry man about the asian girl though, also another thing is that a Star Wars Movie Poster there oh man how awesome but why in the heck people sprayed it for i mean Star Wars is awesome sorry Lucasfilm for people to spray your awesome posters.

but yeah its like i want to go to the movie theaters by public Transport that makes me feel great and whatnot to not rely on the car and go by bus and train.

also what Rail car is that running on because i heard that the paris metro has both a rail type metro lines and ones that are tyre types? and which ones are there?
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM   #679
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
but yeah its like i want to go to the movie theaters by public Transport that makes me feel great and whatnot to not rely on the car and go by bus and train.
I do it all the time. I can either go to a nearby multiplex by bus or if I'm in the mood and got time I can even walk there, or if I go to the one on the other side of the city I take the metro. There's another one that I can reach by metro but I don't like it there.

Is this a problem in Miami or you just happen to live in the suburbs and public transportation is an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songoten2554 View Post
also what Rail car is that running on because i heard that the paris metro has both a rail type metro lines and ones that are tyre types? and which ones are there?
Yes, some lines use a different kind of rail and the trains running on those lines have rubber tires, but this line and train use good 'ol steel wheels and classic rails. If you look closely you can see that the rail is normal and the trainset has normal wheels.

Rubber: MP 59 • MP 73 • MP 89
Steel: MF 67 • MF 77 • MF 88 • MF 2000
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #680
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 781

Was in Paris the last week and enjoyed riding on the metro there. Naturally, I do compare it with other networks whilst using it and overall very impressed once again.

Some positives:
* Excellent density in central Paris. Always easy to reach a station
* A simple but effective idea in the cars near the doors: The central bar that you hold on to near the door often splits into three separate bars. Makes it so much easier to to grab someone else's hand in a full train. Odd how I don't see this in many other networks.
(picture from Rolandallen.com)

* I like how some of the trains show the current station and future stations on the line map with lights
* Great atmospheric stations. (many on line3 under renovation right now, so I'm keen to see what they look like in the future)
* Not too expensive
* I always remembered that Paris has some of the nicest elevated sections I've seen anywhere in the world. I'm glad to say that Paris still does.

And what's not so good.
* Poor signage compared to London. It was almost confusing at times when some signs pointed to a metro line connection as straight ahead (with other lines) but then disappeared, or the line maps come after a junction (and steps) instead of before.
* I remember a joke map of the world that had on top of France "Here there be no escalators". Probably in relation to the metro. Yes, it really needs to improve here. Lugging heavy baggage around without escalators is no fun operation
* Frequent enough, but not as good as some other cities. I did find lines (line 3 for instance) where there seemed 10minutes between trains at 11am on a week day.
* Some of the most uncomfortable platform seats on the planet. Some were just metal bars. You can just make them out here. Who came up with this?
(photo from wikipedia)

Overall, a fantastic network and I still rank it within my three favourite in the world.

I do have an odd question though. In the tunnels either just as you enter (or exit) and at intervals in between are two very dim lights side by side, one above the other. They look quite odd as they are just bare bulbs and so dimly lit that you can see the filament itself glowing (quite wonderfully atmospheric actually). Does anyone know what these mean as they are always lit? And also, why so dim?

(You can see them in this photo, though in real life they are much dimmer. I'm referring to the two single bulbs on the right of the image; under and to the left of the "Z". Normally I wouldn't think twice about two lights in a metro tunnel, but these being so dim made me wonder why when all other lights are bright)
image hosted on flickr

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway