daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #801
serdar samanlı

Likes (Received): 21

Does anyone have pixs of decorative metro stations? That is what makes Paris Métro unique!
serdar samanlı no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:00 AM   #802
Minato ku

The website Metropole about Paris transport released an article about extention

What I see is truly interresting, instead of building and opening 2 km of tunnel and 2 stations for 2012 (as it was planned first) they will build 4 km of tunnel and a sole new station. This will avoid the problems of funding for the other stations.
Initially the whole extention project is 3 new station to Mairie d'Aubervilliers but the tunnel will go 1 km to La Courneuve Aubervilliers RER station. (This kilometer will be used as train park)
Officially nothing is planned but it seem difficult to not to consider a fourth station here.

Tunnel under in construction

The everything inside this drawing is u/c but only the part between Porte de la Chapelle and Proudhon - Gardinoux should open in 2012.

http://www.metro-pole.net/actu/article998.html

Last edited by Minato ku; December 3rd, 2008 at 04:06 AM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #803
Minato ku

The first screen doors in Porte Maillot

Picture by Infos-Transports, Symbioz

In 2011 (maybe before) the whole line should be fully equiped.
Old December 5th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #804
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Will the trains be changed to on that line?

I love the Paris Metro. There's a special air to it. It has one major flaw though, and that's that there is no way for a disabled person to use it. Only stairs everywhere.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #805
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Will the trains be changed to on that line?
Yes with the new MP05, these trains are similar at the driverless MP89 on the line 14.
The MP89 of the line 1 will be transfered on the line 4.

Quote:
I love the Paris Metro. There's a special air to it. It has one major flaw though, and that's that there is no way for a disabled person to use it. Only stairs everywhere.
New station are accessible but it will be hard to adpat the old stations, too complicated and expensive.
According the law every system should be accessible to disabled person in France for 2010 but it is impossible for Paris metro.
Metro system outside where build after the 1970's so it bis easier here. Lille, Toulouse and Rennes are already fully accessible and Lyon metro will be in few years.
I don't know for Marseille metro

Looking inside Flickr I saw this beautiful and unusual photo.

image hosted on flickr

Picture by Léonard de SERRES

See the underground bridge, this picture is on the line 2 but I don't know where it is, maybe Villiers.
Old December 6th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #806
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
New station are accessible but it will be hard to adpat the old stations, too complicated and expensive.
According the law every system should be accessible to disabled person in France for 2010 but it is impossible for Paris metro.
Metro system outside where build after the 1970's so it bis easier here. Lille, Toulouse and Rennes are already fully accessible and Lyon metro will be in few years.
I don't know for Marseille metro
They're struggling to come to terms with this in London too with it being very difficult to adapt the system for disabled access. Very few of London's stations are accessible.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:10 AM   #807
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
They're struggling to come to terms with this in London too with it being very difficult to adapt the system for disabled access. Very few of London's stations are accessible.
Yes, but they're actually making an effort to change it in London, with many stations proposed to receive step free access in the future.

Considering London's stations are mostly deep level, it is much harder to achieve than in Paris.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #808
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Yes, but they're actually making an effort to change it in London, with many stations proposed to receive step free access in the future.

Considering London's stations are mostly deep level, it is much harder to achieve than in Paris.
I remember when they first started to add the "disabled icon" to the tube map. The DLR and new Jubilee extension are very accessible in comparison to the network as a whole.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #809
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post

No, because London station are simpler than Paris metro station.
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #810
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
No, because London station are simpler than Paris metro station.
They really aren't.

You could argue that because they have side platforms that they are more complicated, but practically every sub-surface station on LU has side platforms, and a large amount of deep level stations also have side platforms.

Their depth also means that, because of escalator inclines, the ticket halls are situated far from the platforms themselves.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #811
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I'm finding the latest map of the Paris metro hard to read. All the alignments seem revised to the point that I don't recognise the system any more. Have the past couple of editions of the city's metro been favoured by Parisiens; do they find them to be improvements?
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #812
Grygry
Grygry

Likes (Received): 31

You are right, I see a step backward in the readibility.
All this because of people who believe 45° lines look better, they better go buy glasses!
Grygry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #813
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

I find it difficult to create an "image" of the Paris metro map in my head, compared to the ease of doing the same thing with the London underground map for example. Perhaps I've just looked at the LU map more....
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #814
disturbman

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
The first screen doors in Porte Maillot

Picture by Infos-Transports, Symbioz

In 2011 (maybe before) the whole line should be fully equiped.
Argh !!! Finaly, the first picture. The station looks so strange like that. And what did they put between the rails, concret ? What for ?
disturbman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 01:55 AM   #815
Minato ku

Actually it is wood not concret but I don't know for what is it ?
Porte Maillot has four platforms, two used and two less used.
This is in one of the two less used platform.
Old December 9th, 2008, 11:11 PM   #816
trainrover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grygry View Post
I see a step backward in the readibility
Okay, but do most Parisiens think the schematics of the map to be a reversion (coz I myself do), or might they've become used to it (by now)?
Old December 10th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #817
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
Okay, but do most Parisiens think the schematics of the map to be a reversion (coz I myself do), or might they've become used to it (by now)?
The former metro map was showing the network inside the city of Paris at scale. The creation of RER line E and metro line 14 made it necessary in such a system to write names of stations above lines, reducing considerably its readibility, especially around Opéra/Saint-Lazare and Châtelet. The new map has been created because of this. As it wasn't possible to make something clear more or less at scale, they decided to get rid of it in order to make the map easier to read.

I think the main problem with the new map is that we can't ready anymore the distances. It's not because two stations are near one another on the map that it means they are in real life.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #818
disturbman

Anyhow I don't think it's really a problem in Paris. In the suburbs perhaps but in Paris the station are so closed from each others that, anyway, you don't need to walk to much to go from one to the other.
Old December 11th, 2008, 12:10 AM   #819
trainrover

Metropolitan, it's been clear to me why the map's been revised. I'd just like to know if the past couple editions' worth make locals there scratch their heads more than they used to (I understand that Paris metro maps haven't been the easiest to drum up over the ages)...I guess I'd like to get an idea of the period of adjustments for folks over there, that's all.
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #820
disturbman

If the locals are used to take the metro a change in representation should not disoriented them very long (if at they are at all disoriented). After all, it's just the map that have changed, not the system.

In any case, everybody is different and some people will be puzzled longer than others. i think it's hard to give a general answer to this question.

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway