daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 25th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #1401
Minato ku

The installation of PSDs in Louvre Rivoli (M1) and Miromesnil (M13) is done.
The intallation in Porte de Vincennes is on the way and I saw the debut of new pannel in Concorde or Palais Royal Musée du Louvre but I don't remember exactly of wich stations.

Miromesnil

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcdesprinces View Post
Indeed,
as far I know, the line with the (potentially) highest capacity is line 14 since it's the only line where trains can have 8 cars (vs only 6 cars on lines 1 & 4 and 5 cars on most other lines)

Ligne 14, 120m stations (75m on other lines, 90m on lines 1 & 4) :
Even with only 6 car the driverless MP89 have an higher capacity than the MP89 with driver.
Anyway it is true, the line 14 is the line with the highest capacity, it carries 500,000 passengers on only 9 stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
The bottom line is comparing only LU to Paris Metro, Paris Metro has about 36% more annual passenger rides. Purely from an anecdotal standpoint, I think that the French are more likely to use trains of any sort than the British. And London, while not a great or easy place to drive by any stretch, is quite a bit more car-friendly than Paris.
I don't think that it is true.
If Paris metro can carry more passengers than LU with more ease, it is because the passenger flows are better distributed on most lines.
Usually, excepted on low peak, a metro line is busy from the terminus to the other terminus and people use it for a lower distance.

Quote:
...we'd have to include the Paris trams in with Paris Metro, and I couldn't find any solid figures for ridership for those.
I have the ridership datas of Paris tram, if we want them ask me in this thread.
PARIS | Bus, LRT, Tram

Last edited by Minato ku; August 25th, 2010 at 03:06 AM.
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #1402
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

I wish they can somehow "speed up" the whole PSD installation on line 1 lol. I want to see the MP 89s on Line 4 already :P
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #1403
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I was in Paris in July. About train frequencies, as I said before RATP may be able to have more tph because there are more dwell points (stations). In systems such as the tube, no two trains can normally run between the same two stations unless the line is automated, such as the Jubilee line with SelTrac. This, in practice, lowers the ideal frequency. However, in terms of capacity, London has an edge. Let's look at the Jubilee line and Line 1, which both carry a high volume on a non-branching line with the most frequent service in the system (as I presume Line 1 does, in fact, have the highest frequency). I'm going to use 30 trains per hour since even the most advanced automatic systems usually use 2 minute gaps; MTR barely surpasses such a number.

Jubilee: 964 passengers per train * 28 tph = 26,992 people/hour
Line 1: 722 passengers per train * 30 tph = 21,660 people/hour

Thus the Jubilee line, despite having two fewer trains per hour, carries almost 25% more passengers than Line 1. Since both are overcrowded, the numbers are of course subject to dispute in terms of their value, but this is theoretical.
The frequency on the Jubilee line is actually 24tph in the peaks. The new signalling system is not running yet.

Paris Metro actually has higher frequencies than most LU lines, LU might seem more frequent as AFAIK there is less difference between peak and off-peak frequencies.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #1404
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
I wish they can somehow "speed up" the whole PSD installation on line 1 lol. I want to see the MP 89s on Line 4 already :P
The arrival of the MP89 on the line 4 doesn't only depend of the PSDs but also the new driverless system.
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #1405
HARTride 2012

True. It would seem that MP 05 production is kinda slow at the moment...
Old August 25th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #1406
Minato ku

The RATP asked Alstom to slow down the production of the MP05 due at the delay on the line 1 work.

Chaussée d'Antin La Fayette
Old August 26th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #1407
HARTride 2012

I see. I guess that is logical.

What is with the "blank" signs in that station?
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #1408
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7362

I was about to ask the same thing. That and I love that there are so many Metro stations that I haven't heard of half of them.
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #1409
HARTride 2012

What astonishes me is that there are so many stations, they're spaced apart almost like bus stops, except Line 14.

Also, the advent of rubber-tyred metro trains. I wish the US used them.
Old August 26th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #1410
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:

I see. I guess that is logical.

What is with the "blank" signs in that station?
I'm not sure sure about Chaussée d'Antin but in many stations that have an escalator exit from the platform, when the escalator is closed for maintenance work, the escalator exit sign is switched off.

Last edited by Augusto; August 27th, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #1411
HARTride 2012

Oh, I see.
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #1412
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
I was about to ask the same thing. That and I love that there are so many Metro stations that I haven't heard of half of them.
Chaussé d'Antin La Fayette is not in the middle of nowhere being next to the famous Galerie Lafayette departement store.
This station is served by the line 7 and 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto View Post
I'm not sure sure about Chaussée d'Antin but in many stations that have an escalator exit from the platform, when the the escalator is closed for maintenance work, the escalator exit sign is switched off.
In both way, It sems unlikely. (Especially the main the main exit and connection signs)
I think it is more a failure or maybe they will change these pannels for a more recent model.

This is how look like the lighted pannel. (Here in Denfert-Rocheaux)

The other blank pannel seem to be the oposite side of an other sign, I took this picture in the front of the station.

A MF77 leaving Pyramide

This is station is not far to Chaussé d'Antin La Fayette, two stations before or after.
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #1413
Metropolitan 3.0
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Chaussé d'Antin La Fayette is not in the middle of nowhere being next to the famous Galerie Lafayette departement store.
This station is served by the line 7 and 9.
Yeah... it's at about 20 meters East of Auber station and 30 meters North of Opera station.
Metropolitan 3.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1414
Minato ku

Trinité d'Estienne d'Orves

Old August 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #1415
adrianjohnson

Thanks for the comparison notes between LU and Paris Metro. I hadn't realised half the things that were mentioned (distances between stations, number of trains p/h etc.).
adrianjohnson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #1416
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post

A MF77 leaving Pyramide

This is station is not far to Chaussé d'Antin La Fayette, two stations before or after.
Where is this station located along Line 7? I keep thinking of Pyramides - Line 14
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #1417
NvkR

Likes (Received): 3

The station is located between Opera and Palais Royal-Musée du Louvre. There is a connection with line 14 at this station as you can see on that picture
NvkR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1418
NvkR

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
What astonishes me is that there are so many stations, they're spaced apart almost like bus stops, except Line 14.

Also, the advent of rubber-tyred metro trains. I wish the US used them.
Execpt Line 14 and extensions that were made in the close suburbs. I think that the density of stations in the city center is a bit ridiculous sometimes. Some stops can obviously be closed to increase the metro's speed. For instance, if you look on this map (http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-paris/)
you will see that Saint-Michel, Odeon, Saint Germain-des-Prés, Cluny- La Sorbonne and Maubert Mutualité are all located within a kilometer. Theres a stop every 200/250m in that spot!! I think you can easily close two stops there. Also, around the chatelet area, I think having two stops for line 4 (Chatelet AND Les Halles) for the same interconnected station is a bit useless aswell. And that's just a few examples.
NvkR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #1419
Minato ku

Closing some stations is not a bad idea but we should avoid closing busy one. There is maybe a little distance between Chatelet and Les Halles but both stations are already very busy. Closing Les Halles would increase the traffic in the already crowded Chatelet.
Old August 28th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #1420
Metropolitan 3.0
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvkR View Post
Execpt Line 14 and extensions that were made in the close suburbs. I think that the density of stations in the city center is a bit ridiculous sometimes. Some stops can obviously be closed to increase the metro's speed. For instance, if you look on this map (http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-paris/)
you will see that Saint-Michel, Odeon, Saint Germain-des-Prés, Cluny- La Sorbonne and Maubert Mutualité are all located within a kilometer. Theres a stop every 200/250m in that spot!! I think you can easily close two stops there.
Cluny-La Sorbonne has actually been closed after world war 2, but it's been opened again in 1988 to offer a connection between metro line 10 and RER lines B and C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvkR View Post
Also, around the chatelet area, I think having two stops for line 4 (Chatelet AND Les Halles) for the same interconnected station is a bit useless aswell. And that's just a few examples.
The two stops for line 4 are very convenient for users as Chatelet offers fast connections with lines 1, 7, 11 and 14 whereas Les Halles offers fast connections with RER lines A, B and D. Closing any of both would force dozens of hundreds of people to use a long moving walkway daily. There are probably other stations to close first I believe, such as those offering no connection to other lines.

But anyway, the big problem here is that once you offer an infrastructure, it becomes very hard to close it. Residents, companies, real estate owners, city councils would all make a revolution if the station which is right below their feet closes.

World war 2 offered the opportunity to close some of them because circumstances led the metro to offer only a limited service, with hundreds of stations being closed because of the occupation. It was easier to not re-open some of them after the liberation.

Without any change, I doubt we can really close some stations just like that. It would probably require a specific context, such as a reorganization of lines or further extensions that would actually give a real purpose to such a decision.
Metropolitan 3.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway