daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #1701
boczek
Bacon Strips&Bacon Strips

Likes (Received): 1

MF77 between Marie de Clichy and Gabriel Péri

and snowy arriving at La Motte-Picquet Grenelle

Last edited by boczek; December 5th, 2010 at 03:02 PM.
boczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #1702
ajaaronjoe
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvkR View Post
Why do english people always feel the need to say stuff like that?

Anyways, yeah it might be true... Architecture wise it depends on the stations you are comparing. In terms of cleanliness, LU beats the Paris metro hands down BUT you pay the price for that. LU is so expensive, whenever I go to London I end up taking the bus and walking because it's SO expensive.
I have to say that i strongly agree with you, LU is ridiculously expensive for any user, on the other hand, although the government pours a lot of billions in it, the service is not getting better
ajaaronjoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #1703
HARTride 2012

Likes (Received): 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
I see. When did these trains begin refurbishment? I'm sure that color scheme did not last long. It seems like not long after, they were redone in white and green.
HARTride 2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #1704
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7362

The tube isn't that expensive if you know what you're doing. All you need to do is a buy a Travelcard and your cost per ride shoots down. As much as I love the Métro, I'll admit that I think the tube is better in terms of cleanliness, aesthetics (not only architecture but also signage), and service frequency. Paris and RATP could do wonders for the Métro but they're being stagnant.
geoking66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #1705
NvkR

Likes (Received): 3

I admit cleanliness and aethetics... but frequency and service... I'm sorry but I have to disagree. In london, I can't count the number of times the line I needed to take was CLOSED, not one stop, not for just 10 minutes, CLOSED for the entire day. LU is pretty frequent during rush hours, but the Paris metro in the morning.... honestly when you come out of your train you don't have time to get out of the platform and the other train comes in the station. Frequency in the Paris metro is mind blowing!
NvkR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #1706
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

I'd second that. Peak hour frequencies at Paris' busiest lines come close to 40 tph. In each direction. Plus, most Métro lines do not branch off, or only at the very end. The only line with two longer branches is the 13, but there are plans to incorporate one branch into the 14. Frequencies on branch lines of the Tube network can be a bit disappointing in comparison, even during rush hours.
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #1707
NvkR

Quote:
I have to say that i strongly agree with you, LU is ridiculously expensive for any user, on the other hand, although the government pours a lot of billions in it, the service is not getting better
Im not hating on the LU. It's just a normal thing that the oldest metro in the world is hard to maintain at a high level of performance with a city changing at a fast pace. And I honeslty think the size of the network has something to do with that too. As an example, the RER network isn't as efficient as the metro because of the size of the network.
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:55 AM   #1708
Clery

Likes (Received): 3622

This forum seems very interesting! People have talked about those old metros which are still in use in Paris. Well, they were very modern in the 1950's!
Clery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 01:52 AM   #1709
NvkR

Welcome to this forum
And thank you for sharing this vintage video! I don't think I've ever seen such an old video footage of the metro, it's quite impressive.
Old December 6th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #1710
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Ah, very interesting material indeed! Thanks for sharing, Clery!
What I noticed in the video at around 2:13 is the closing door keeping passengers who want to enter the platform back. What was the reasoning behind that? Crowd control avant la lettre?
Old December 6th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #1711
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7362

I've rarely ever had to wait more than around 3 minutes for a train in London apart from very late nights (and even then it's only a been around 6 minutes or so, perfectly reasonable). In Paris, however, I'd be on a platform for a good 8-10 minutes during rush hour.
geoking66 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:41 AM   #1712
NvkR

It's funny I would have said the exact opposite. And that because on the LU network, several lines use the same platform, so sometimes you can wait a long time for the line you want AND the branch of the line you want. In Paris, I have rarely waited 8-10 minutes, except on strike days and maybe the last metro, or when you wait for the first metro. Oh yes, and on special occasions (New Years, Nuit Blanche, Fete de la Musique) when the metro is open all night. Are you sure you are not talking about the RER network? Are you sure there wasn't a strike that day?

As an example, this is the frequency of the trains at a random station (Cadet line 7). This can be found on the RATP website:

First metro / 07h30 : 4 minutes
07h30 / 09h30 : 2 minutes
09h30 / 16h30 : 3 minutes
16h30 / 20h30 : 3 minutes
20h30 / Last metro : 6 minutes
Old December 6th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #1713
HARTride 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clery View Post
This forum seems very interesting! People have talked about those old metros which are still in use in Paris. Well, they were very modern in the 1950's!
I think these few vintage videos mainly depict the now defunct MP 55. The MP 59s I noticed have a very similar look, but a one-piece windshield.
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1714
Minato ku

Right it is the MP55, withdraw of the service since early 1999.
The oldest rolling stock still running on the network is the MP59 produced between 1963 ans 1974.

Most of the MP59 will be withdraw by 2012. (Only 24 will remain on service on the line 11).
Many have already been taken out the service with the MP89 on the line 1 in 2000.

Quote:
In Paris, I have rarely waited 8-10 minutes, except on strike days and maybe the last metro, or when you wait for the first metro. Oh yes, and on special occasions (New Years, Nuit Blanche, Fete de la Musique) when the metro is open all night. Are you sure you are not talking about the RER network? Are you sure there wasn't a strike that day?
It is exactly what I wonder, if there were not a strike or any other problems.
The lowest frequencies on Paris metro during rush hours is 4 minutes on the lines 3bis, 7bis and 10 (the three last busy lines of the network).
Old December 6th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #1715
HARTride 2012

Wow, only 24 MP 59 trains wil remain in service on Line 11? That's a HUGE retirement for the older trains.

And I do believe it was mentioned that the newer model MP 59s are the ones to remain on Line 11 correct?

What is the status of the PSD's on Line 1? I assume that they ought to begin Bastille in the next couple months.
Old December 6th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #1716
Minato ku

Only in April 2011 for Bastille as I heard.
The strong curve require special doors.

Of the 25 stations on the line 1.
-18 stations equipped (72%)
Saint Paul and Gare de Lyon are last station where the installation is done as early december.
The PSD's installation at Champs Elysées Clemenceau will be done in few days and it began at Franklin Roosevelt.

Gare de Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
I see. When did these trains begin refurbishment? I'm sure that color scheme did not last long. It seems like not long after, they were redone in white and green.
The MP59 were refurbised between 1988 and 1992.
The new green lively begin in 1992, so this special white lively with blue doors does not last a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARTride 2012 View Post
And I do believe it was mentioned that the newer model MP 59s are the ones to remain on Line 11 correct?
Right, the newer and those in better shape.
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:00 AM   #1717
HARTride 2012

Thanks for the update Minato.
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #1718
Minato ku

République

Anatole France

Inside a MF67
Old December 7th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #1719
HARTride 2012

I'm still waiting to see an MF 01 on Line 5. I wonder if there are any photos out yet.
Old December 7th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1720
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2254

Quote:
Gambetta (line 3) perhaps?

image hosted on flickr

greatttt that's it!!! thank you

Tags
metro, paris, paris transport, subway